Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Anderson likes Criterion (and they like him) and puts it into his contract with distributors that Criterion will get the rights to release the DVD/BD after a certain number of years. I don't see how this is a big deal with anyone in the history of ever. Despite the marketing, Criterion is not the world's official film history hall-of-fame or anything.
I understand that but there are others who probably feel that in their opinion there are more "important" (whatever that is) films that Criterion should focus on or pay more attention to. I'm sure Anderson's films are good money makers for them but when films by Kurosawa, Ozu and others get the Eclipse treatment and all of Anderson's films get the full Criterion treatment you're going to piss off some people. I'm not an Anderson hater, I actually like some of his films but IMO they're not all good.
Old 04-22-16, 09:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Anderson likes Criterion (and they like him) and puts it into his contract with distributors that Criterion will get the rights to release the DVD/BD after a certain number of years. I don't see how this is a big deal with anyone in the history of ever. Despite the marketing, Criterion is not the world's official film history hall-of-fame or anything.
I like him too, but as the Criterion mission states: "Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience."

One Wes Anderson film pretty much encapsulates his entire filmography. There's plenty of other films and directors they can highlight.
Old 04-22-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I understand that but there are others who probably feel that in their opinion there are more "important" (whatever that is) films that Criterion should focus on or pay more attention to. I'm sure Anderson's films are good money makers for them but when films by Kurosawa, Ozu and others get the Eclipse treatment and all of Anderson's films get the full Criterion treatment you're going to piss off some people. I'm not an Anderson hater, I actually like some of his films but IMO they're not all good.
I sort of get that argument, but at this point it's one release every 2 or 3 years. It's not like Ozu's Dragnet Girl got bumped to Eclipse because Criterion had to release Moonrise Kingdom instead.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I like him too, but as the Criterion mission states: "Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience."

One Wes Anderson film pretty much encapsulates his entire filmography. There's plenty of other films and directors they can highlight.
Again, it's just marketing. Besides, you could easily make the argument that the cash (and brand awareness) Anderson brings to Criterion goes a long way towards helping them to publish "the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience."
Old 04-22-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

There's plenty of other films and directors they can highlight.
Sure, but they don't have it in their contracts like Anderson does.
Old 04-22-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, I'm a bit tired of the continuous Criterion hardon they have for every Wes Anderson film. I think Bottle Rocket and Rushmore are fit for Criterion, but most of his others don't. I like them, but not on that level. Putting every one of his titles on Criterion kind of lowers the Criterion bar for me.

Then of course, The Rock and Armageddon are Criterion titles.
That was more to do with Bay and David Fincher's rivalry they had going. CC gave Fincher's Se7en CC treatment and Bay wanted one for The Rock, too. Then CC gave one to The Game and Bay wanted one for Armageddon, as well. Sure, it was petty, but that's why CC released some of those. I'm sure they sold well. I think the Armageddon LD CC was the last LD CC produced.
Old 04-22-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Then again, Harvey died in 1996, so that commentary may have been cobbled together to begin with, so perhaps they've got some flexibility there.
Aren't all of the commentaries that Criterion produces for inclusion on their discs (as opposed to licensing) spliced together anyway?
Old 04-22-16, 03:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I see where people are coming from regarding their complaints about Anderson's flicks, but Criterion is a business. A for-profit business at that. Without the higher profile titles from Anderson, Bay, and Fincher, there wouldn't be as much money to go towards other "more deserving" films (which I think is kind of a silly concept, but it's not my concern)

Criterion is not the world's official film history hall-of-fame or anything.
Exactly. They're a North American distributor of a wide array of films that they have paid to license. There's a serious cost/benefit analysis to be done with every title they release, and I don't think they take it lightly.

On a related note, I'm still crossing my fingers for an eventual Kurosawa Blu-ray set that includes all the films from the previous AK100 set that was DVD only. I'd pay a stupid amount of money for that.
Old 04-22-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222

I've enjoyed almost all of Wes's films to some degree, although I didn't care for Moonrise Kingdom. But if putting out titles by Wes and others that don't really need the Criterion treatment (i.e Dr Strangelove) helps keep them in business, then I'm all for it.
Old 04-22-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
On a related note, I'm still crossing my fingers for an eventual Kurosawa Blu-ray set that includes all the films from the previous AK100 set that was DVD only. I'd pay a stupid amount of money for that.
Might be waiting a long ass time for that. They still haven't released Madadayo as an individual title - only available as part of that set. Not to mention the Eclipse titles would probably need a restoration if they're going to be on BD.
Old 04-23-16, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I usually upgrade to a new Criterion even though I may already own the existing Blu-ray. However, since Strangelove is the same master from a 4K transfer and I love DigiBooks, I shall be passing on this one.
I struggled for a while but since the cool Best Buy Steelbook is still available for $14.99 and has what looks like better extra features, I just ordered that one instead of the Criterion. As much as I enjoy Kubrick in general and this film in particular, I still think the Sony disc sounds more interesting than the Criterion one (and I love Steelbooks). Hope I don't regret that choice.
Old 04-23-16, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

A touch of Zen and Carnival of Souls for me at the next Criterion sale.Keep them coming.

A little off topic.
But at Criterion.com "My collection" has gone from over 300+ tittles down to just"Chungking Express".
My wish list looks about the same.I sent CC A email,but have not heard back yet.

And it looks like it only happened to my list.
Old 04-23-16, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I struggled for a while but since the cool Best Buy Steelbook is still available for $14.99 and has what looks like better extra features, I just ordered that one instead of the Criterion. As much as I enjoy Kubrick in general and this film in particular, I still think the Sony disc sounds more interesting than the Criterion one (and I love Steelbooks). Hope I don't regret that choice.
Old 04-24-16, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I just bought the BB steelbook recently, not expecting a Criterion version; I liked both the features (which were carried over from previous versions) and the design. We'll see....

Along the same lines, reading about the upcoming "Carnival of Souls" BD (and what's not being carried over) made me dig out my Criterion "COS" DVD. It actually looks pretty good (since its a '60s low-low-budget film) and they may really have to sell me on this upgrade.
Old 04-24-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

If you like extras, you're probably going to want the Criterion Dr. Strangelove. The only reason to hold on to the Sony Dr. Strangelove disc is for the pop-up trivia track and the interview with Robert McNamara. Everything else is going to be on the Criterion plus more.
Old 04-24-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
If you like extras, you're probably going to want the Criterion Dr. Strangelove. The only reason to hold on to the Sony Dr. Strangelove disc is for the pop-up trivia track and the interview with Robert McNamara. Everything else is going to be on the Criterion plus more.
Hmmm.... I didn't see them listed, but now I do note that Criterion lists "Four short documentaries, about the making of the film, the sociopolitical climate of the period, the work of actor Peter Sellers, and the artistry of Kubrick". I guess that must be them. I don't know now.....

I can hang onto the Best Buy version for a while, have a month to return it. Ugh, not sure if I should wait for the CC version or keep the Steelbook.
Old 04-28-16, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Looks like it may be Cat People
Old 04-28-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Looks like it may be Cat People
If so, I presume Val Lewton and not Paul Schrader.
Old 04-28-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Hopefully a "Cat People/Curse of the Cat People" or "Cat People (1942)/(1982)" double feature.
Old 04-28-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

How do you get on the mailing list for the newsletter? I have an account at the official site, but I've never received an email.

It's not an actual dead tree newsletter is it?
Old 04-28-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
How do you get on the mailing list for the newsletter? I have an account at the official site, but I've never received an email.

I think you have to sign up for it on their site.
Old 04-28-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom

I think you have to go into your account and check the box that you want to receive it.

Edit: I don't think you even need to log in or have an account. There is a place on their homepage to enter your email address and hit subscribe.

Last edited by BSTNFAN; 04-28-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If so, I presume Val Lewton and not Paul Schrader.
yeah it's one of the rumoured WB titles that they got. And strictly speaking, it should be Jacques Torneur and not Paul schrader
Old 04-30-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

It's good to see the WB titles trickling out. Hopefully The Devils is one of them.
Old 04-30-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
If it was really just a pop-up trivia track then yeah. But it's not:

The Cold War: One of the fullest, most informative, and most satisfying Picture-in-Picture trivia tracks I've had the pleasure to sit through, Sony's exclusive gem bombards the viewer with endless facts, offers extensive production notes, and packs in a surprising number of video-based interview segments with former US military commanders, Air Force personnel, military experts and advisors, and historians. The track rarely lets up; I encountered some slight pauses as clips loaded, but the overall quality and quantity of the content was quite staggering. If you're familiar with Dr. Strangelove, be sure to take the time to sit through this fascinating PiP experience.
Given all else is equal, if making a choice between the digibook packaging and that feature vs. the listed new features on the Criterion disc, it's an easy call for the digibook. I'll just have to live with the fact that the digibook doesn't have a spine number.

After seeing the final details on the Criterion I picked myself up the digibook version.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-30-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
yeah it's one of the rumoured WB titles that they got. And strictly speaking, it should be Jacques Torneur and not Paul schrader
Tourneur directed, but an argument can be made that Lewton (the producer) was the actual auteur behind the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.