Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I think there's more than that. Two Lane Blacktop comes to mind. I think there are even more that have dropped the dvds, but simply changed from a 2 disc keep case to a 1 disc case. Throne of Blood comes to mind. There are also a handful of dvd titles which have changed packaging over the years, although my guess is that no one cares about those. Presumably all of the dual-format will switch to separate formats whenever their initial print runs are up. However, there's no way to know when that will be.
You're thinking of the dvd version of Two-Lane Blacktop. The blu-ray always came in a keepcase. Throne of Blood dropped the dvd but it too was always released in a keepcase. I didn't include the dvd digipacks as there are several that have been replaced over the years. I'm fairly certain that the four I mentioned are the only blu-rays to go from digipack to keepcase, not including the initial thin digipacks when they launched. There may be others that dropped the dual format but that wasn't the issue that was being discussed.

Last edited by Neil M.; 08-03-15 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

D'oh! You're right about Two Lane Blacktop. I could have sworn there were more blu-rays that had been converted to keep cases at this point, but I guess all the ones I'm thinking of are dvds.
Old 08-04-15, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I prefer the size and uniformity of the standard keep-cases. These will also hold up better over time.

Have you seen Picnic at Hanging Rock: The Complete Series?
I have it but Red River is a beast compared to Hanging Rock.
Old 08-05-15, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I have it but Red River is a beast compared to Hanging Rock.
they're almost exactly the same size.
Old 08-05-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chadm
they're almost exactly the same size.
Yeah, Red River is about 1/8" of an inch thicker. They're pretty much the same size.

On a different subject, Criterion has admitted they screwed up on Dressed to Kill. Replacement discs are coming.

https://www.criterion.com/current/po...alternate-disc
Old 08-05-15, 08:14 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

In regards to Dressed to Kill:

In our haste to respond to customer concerns about the anamorphic compression on our release of Dressed to Kill, we posted incorrectly that the change had been made at the behest of the director. Brian De Palma did ask for a change to the geometry of the scan, but it was to address the distortion he saw in the image, not to apply it. Unfortunately, that change was never carried over in the final product, and the resulting discs are wrong. Therefore, we are reauthoring discs without the squeeze and will make them available to all purchasers of our release of Dressed to Kill free of charge. Simply e-mail Jon Mulvaney ([email protected]) with your name, address, and some proof of purchase, such as a receipt, and we will send you a corrected copy. We regret the inconvenience, but we hope that in the end all of our customers will end up with a copy of Dressed to Kill that accurately reflects the film as well as the director’s intentions.
https://www.criterion.com/current/po...alternate-disc
Old 08-06-15, 09:38 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Update, 8/6/15: Good news, everyone. The Dressed to Kill street date is moving to September 8. Thanks to the concerns of our customers and the efforts of reviewers at websites like DVDBeaver.com, who helped point out the problems with the release early, we were able to make the fix before the bulk of orders had shipped. We will, of course, replace any faulty copies that may find their way into circulation, but we are working to ensure that all customers, including those who have placed preorders, and all major retailers will have corrected product in time for the new street date. To be certain that you have the correct version, look for the words “Second printing” on the back of the package and on the disc.
Old 08-07-15, 10:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please forgive the plug, but there are not many Criterion podcasts out there, and I thought Criterion fans on this thread might like to give us a listen. Our podcast is called CRITERION CLOSE-UP, and we will be launching early next week. The first episode will be Broadcast News, plus we will explore how the News Media is portrayed in other films from the 70s until today. Click for the full schedule here: http://criterionblues.com/podcast/
Old 08-08-15, 07:44 AM
Banned

Framing aside, we're still getting the fucked up visuals still?
Old 08-08-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Framing aside, we're still getting the fucked up visuals still?
Can you be more specific? Are you talking about the color-timing? If so, then yes, the color timing will be the same.
Old 08-08-15, 09:33 AM
Banned

Fucking' Hell, mate.
Old 08-08-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The colors are fine.
Old 08-08-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I watched the MGM DTK Bd the other night. While looking at screencaps I thought/think the MGM is truer to (what I would have expected to be) the theatrical look, in actual fact I wasn't fully on board with the look of the MGM disc. DePalmas filming style felt like it needed more diffusion to the images. The deeper, inkier blacks and generally darker look seemed to me a little at odds with how shots were blocked and staged (the numerous split diopters, dreamier sequences, etc). They were too dark at times with the end result being simply murkier rather than atmospheric.

Also, looking at the Criterion caps- while they do look overall greener in comparison to the Arrow and MGM, I think it is at a level that could and will be mitigated to a good extent by people's individual displays. Just changing the color temp from 6500 to 7500 or 8000, for instance, is going to impact that a bit.

I could be wrong, but that is the feeling I get. For one thing, these caps show a far less extreme alteration than the Thief caps did and I found those to bear very little relation to what I was saw when I finally watched that disc. I have the original MGM HD transfer on the Arrow release of that film and there are just as many shots in that transfer that I question as far as theatrical authenticity.
The Criterion DTK looks like it could strike a better balance . And apart from the greenish cast you can mostly detect in neutral colors like whites and grays, all the other various hues (reds, blues,etc) still look pure.

That last is the most important to me. When I complain about color grading being too revisionist in certain films, it's mostly because it is starting to infect and alter specific colors and their relationships.
Usually blues are pulled away from ever being warmer (closer to violet) and only end up being in a blue-green range.
That's not what I'm seeing with DTK here.

Just to hedge my bets though I ordered the Arrow release. I'll replace the MGM with that one and then I'll add the Criterion during a sale because I've come to really love the film. But I won't be surprised if the Criterion ends up being my go to version of the material.
Old 08-15-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Criterion decides to do Carrie, they're gonna have to do a lot of work. the dvd is extremely soft, and there are little purple lines during the opening credits, idk if those were removed for the blu or not
Old 08-15-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
If Criterion decides to do Carrie...
They better have the open matte (aka extra nudity) and mono soundtrack version like the Criterion laserdisc.
Old 08-17-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's November's titles:

780: Code Unknown

One of the world’s most influential and provocative filmmakers, the Academy Award–winning Austrian director Michael Haneke diagnoses the social maladies of contemporary Europe with devastating precision and staggering artistry. His 2000 drama Code Unknown, the first of his many films made in France, may be his most inspired work. Composed almost entirely of brilliantly shot, single-take vignettes focusing on characters connected to one seemingly minor incident on a Paris street, Haneke’s film—with an outstanding international cast headlined by Juliette Binoche—is a revelatory take on racial inequality and the failure of communication in today’s increasingly diverse European landscape.

Disc Features
-New, restored 2K digital transfer, approved by director Michael Haneke, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New interview with Haneke
-Introduction by Haneke from 2001
-Filming Haneke, a 2000 making-of documentary featuring interviews with Haneke, actor Juliette Binoche, and producer Marin Karmitz, as well as on-set footage of cast and crew
-Interview from 2001 in which Haneke discusses the filming of the boulevard sequences
-New interview with film scholar Roy Grundmann
-Trailers
-New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by critic Nick James

781: In Cold Blood

Truman Capote’s best seller, a breakthrough narrative account of real-life crime and punishment, became an equally chilling film in the hands of writer-director Richard Brooks. Cast for their unsettling resemblances to the killers they play, Robert Blake and Scott Wilson give authentic, unshowy performances as Perry Smith and Richard Hickock, who in 1959 murdered a family of four in Kansas during a botched robbery. Brooks brings a detached, documentary-like starkness to this uncompromising view of an American tragedy and its aftermath; at the same time, stylistically In Cold Blood is a filmmaking master class, with clinically precise editing, chiaroscuro black-and-white cinematography by the great Conrad L. Hall, and a menacing jazz score by Quincy Jones.

Disc Features
-New 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New interview with cinematographer John Bailey on the film’s cinematography
-New interview with film historian Bobbie O’Steen on the film’s editing
-New interview with film critic and jazz historian Gary Giddins on the film’s music by Quincy Jones
-New interview with writer Douglass Daniel on director Richard Brooks
-Interview with Brooks from 1988 from the French television series Cinéma cinemas
-Interview with actor Robert Blake from 1968 from the British television series Good Evening with Jonathan King
-With Love from Truman, a short 1966 documentary featuring novelist Truman Capote, directed by Albert and David Maysles
-Two archival NBC interviews with Capote: one following the author on a 1966 visit to Holcomb, Kansas, and the other conducted by Barbara Walters in 1967
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Chris Fujiwara

782-785: The Apu Trilogy

Two decades after its original negatives were burned in a fire, Satyajit Ray’s breathtaking milestone of world cinema rises from the ashes in a meticulously reconstructed new restoration. The Apu Trilogy brought India into the golden age of international art-house film, following one indelible character, a free-spirited child in rural Bengal who matures into an adolescent urban student and finally a sensitive man of the world. These delicate masterworks—Pather Panchali (Song of the Little Road), Aparajito (The Unvanquished), and Apur Sansar (The World of Apu)—based on two books by Bibhutibhusan Banerjee, were shot over the course of five years, and each stands on its own as a tender, visually radiant journey. They are among the most achingly beautiful, richly humane movies ever made—essential works for any film lover.

Disc Features
-New 4K digital restorations of all three films, undertaken in collaboration with the Academy Film Archive at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and L’Immagine Ritrovata, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
-Audio recordings from 1958 of director Satyajit Ray reading his essay “A Long Time on the Little Road” and in conversation with film historian Gideon Bachmann
-New interviews with actors Soumitra Chatterjee, Shampa Srivastava, and Sharmila Tagore; camera assistant Soumendu Roy; and film writer Ujjal Chakraborty
-New video essay by Ray biographer Andrew Robinson on the trilogy’s evolution and production
-“The Apu Trilogy”: A Closer Look, a new program featuring filmmaker, producer, and teacher Mamoun Hassan
-Excerpts from the 2003 documentary The Song of the Little Road, featuring composer Ravi Shankar
-The Creative Person: Satyajit Ray, a 1967 half-hour documentary by James Beveridge, featuring interviews with Ray, several of his actors, members of his creative team, and film critic Chidananda Das Gupta
-Footage of Ray receiving an honorary Oscar in 1992
-New program on the restorations by filmmaker :: kogonada
-New English subtitle translations
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Terrence Rafferty and Girish Shambu

786: Bob Dylan: Don't Look Back

Bob Dylan is captured on-screen as he never would be again in this groundbreaking film from D. A. Pennebaker. The legendary documentarian finds Dylan in London during his 1965 tour, which would be his last as an acoustic artist and marked a turning point in his career. In this wildly entertaining vision of one of the twentieth century’s greatest artists thrust into the spotlight, Dylan is surrounded by teen fans; gets into heated philosophical jousts with journalists; and kicks back with fellow musicians Joan Baez, Donovan, and Alan Price. Featuring some of Dylan’s most famous songs, including “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” “The Times They Are A-Changin’,” and “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue,” Dont Look Back is a radically conceived and shot portrait of an American icon that has influenced decades of vérité behind-the-scenes documentaries.

Disc Features
-New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by director D. A. Pennebaker, with newly restored monaural sound from the original quarter-inch magnetic masters, presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
-Audio commentary from 1999 featuring Pennebaker and tour manager Bob Neuwirth
-65 Revisited, a 2006 documentary directed by Pennebaker and edited by Walker Lamond
-Audio excerpt from an interview with Bob Dylan in the 2005 documentary No Direction Home, cut to previously unseen outtakes from Dont Look Back
-New documentary about the evolution of Pennebaker’s filming style, from his 1950s avant-garde work to his ’60s musical documentaries, including an excerpt from the filmmaker’s footage of Dylan performing “Ballad of a Thin Man” during his 1966 electric tour
-Daybreak Express (1953), Baby (1954), and Lambert & Co. (1964), three short films by Pennebaker
-New conversation between Pennebaker and Neuwirth about their work together, from Dont Look Back through Monterey Pop (1967) and beyond
-Snapshots from the Tour, a new piece featuring outtakes from Dont Look Back
-New interview with musician Patti Smith about Dylan and the influence of Dont Look Back in her life
-Conversation between music critic Greil Marcus and Pennebaker from 2010
-Alternate version of the film’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues” cue card sequence
-Five uncut audio tracks of Dylan songs from the film
-Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic and poet Robert Polito

In addition, Ikiru will get a Blu-Ray upgrade.

Lastly, they announced the newest Eclipse release on DVD, Series 43: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties.

Old 08-17-15, 04:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ikiru

supplements:

Disc Features
New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2004 by Stephen Prince, author of The Warrior’s Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa
A Message from Akira Kurosawa (2000), a ninety-minute documentary produced by Kurosawa Productions and featuring interviews with Kurosawa
Documentary on Ikiru from 2003, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create, and featuring interviews with Kurosawa, script supervisor Teruyo Nogami, writer Hideo Oguni, actor Takashi Shimura, and others
Trailer
PLUS: Essays by critic and travel writer Pico Iyer and critic Donald Richie

New cover by Eric Skillman

~~

woohoo!
Old 08-17-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm so glad I held off on buying Ikiru!
Old 08-17-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Great releases - I already have the British blu of Code Unknown (which has a perfect transfer), but will gladly double-dip on a Criterion edition as it's one of my favorite movies of the last 20 years.
Old 08-18-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Great releases - I already have the British blu of Code Unknown (which has a perfect transfer), but will gladly double-dip on a Criterion edition as it's one of my favorite movies of the last 20 years.
there's a british blu of Code Unknown?
Old 08-18-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
there's a british blu of Code Unknown?
Derp! I got it mixed up with Cache/Hidden. That has a good British blu, I only have the R2 dvd of CU - will gladly upgrade to the Criterion blu.
Old 08-18-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Will need to upgrade that horrible non-anamorphic Kino dvd of Code Unknown. Hope Criterion puts out more Haneke. A box set of The Seventh Continent, Benny's Video & 71 Fragments would be sweet.
So would a Blu of The Piano Teacher, to upgrade another atrocious non-anamorphic Kino dvd.
Old 08-18-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

In Cold Blood is a personal favorite of mine and this came as a shock. I am sure it will look and sound excellent, not to say the previous Blu-ray was bad. Either way, I am excited.

Code Unknown is also a must for me. Michael Haneke is woefully under represented in Blu-ray market in the US so this is hopefully one of many more.
Old 09-14-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My copy of "Dressed to Kill" arrived from Best Buy today and the picture quality and extras do a great job of really going further into De Palma's head and talking about why this is an underrated masterpiece of thriller cinema, but does anyone know what happened with the audio mix? When Angie Dickinson's getting the Janet Leigh treatment in the elevator, it sounds like the audio is patched together from the rated version and the unrated version.
Old 09-14-15, 08:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

how can you tell a correct pressing of Dressed to Kill again?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.