Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Hilarious. Maybe it's a James Joyce thing where he's secretly a genius and we all need decades to understand it .
The UK Blu-ray has footage from a short press junket interview where Lynch laughs about how crummy the movie looks. Even at the time, he was fully aware of the problem and simply didn't care.

The end credits sequence of the movie openly mocks scenes from Lynch's other films, and reveals that the whole thing is nothing more than a cruel practical joke he's playing on his fans. Inland Empire is a student film quality, YouTube parody of his career that he tricked people into sitting through for three hours and treating seriously as if it were a real movie.
Old 05-06-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Has anyone else sent any bad discs in to be replaced? I haven't gotten around to it but I have about 8 or 9 that I need to send in. Some are on the list and a few others are still not on the list.
Old 05-06-15, 12:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Has anyone else sent any bad discs in to be replaced? I haven't gotten around to it but I have about 8 or 9 that I need to send in. Some are on the list and a few others are still not on the list.
just shoot Jon Mulvaney an email at [email protected] - the whole process is pretty painless and easy
Old 05-07-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted on Facebook 20 minutes ago:

A Little Tease

Old 05-07-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I can retire my MGM edition, which was not bad at all. This should be up to Blow Out standards.
Old 05-07-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I can retire my MGM edition, which was not bad at all. This should be up to Blow Out standards.
The MGM disc is pretty stacked. I don't know what else Criterion can add that would be worth the double dip. I'm surprised they haven't gone after Straw Dogs again since MGM owns the rights this time. That needs a special edition .
Old 05-07-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

talk about good timing, I have the Dressed to Kill Blu Ray sitting in my Amazon cart as we speak. Glad I didn't pull the trigger yet.
Old 05-08-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Well that's a fine looking lass but what's the tl;dr on the movie?

tks
Old 05-08-15, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl
Posted on Facebook 20 minutes ago:

A Little Tease

oh my phone - I did a double take - a Criterion edition of 'Showgirls' ??
Old 05-08-15, 10:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
The MGM disc is pretty stacked. I don't know what else Criterion can add that would be worth the double dip. I'm surprised they haven't gone after Straw Dogs again since MGM owns the rights this time. That needs a special edition .
Originally Posted by Chadm
talk about good timing, I have the Dressed to Kill Blu Ray sitting in my Amazon cart as we speak. Glad I didn't pull the trigger yet.
That's just it, the MGM disc has a good amount of extras and the PQ/AQ is really good. Unless the transfer is superior and there's new extras, I may pass on this one.
Old 05-08-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, there's SO MANY more MGM titles that could use a Criterion blu over Dressed to Kill, which already has a pretty good one.
Old 05-08-15, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Never got Dressed to Kill.
Old 05-08-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

With all the titles that desperately need the Criterion Blu treatment, they decide on Dressed to Kill?

I will definitely be skipping this release, the MGM Blu is very good.
Old 05-08-15, 12:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess Criterion takes what they can get sometimes. Dressed To Kill certainly isn't worth owning, though.
Old 05-08-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I guess Criterion takes what they can get sometimes. Dressed To Kill certainly isn't worth owning, though.
A part of me enjoys Dressed To Kill, but I'm mostly ashamed of that part.

I'd prefer the rest of De Palma's earlier work, like Obsession and *especially* Fury. I doubt they could do much better than Shout Factory's Phantom of the Paradise (although I'd love to see them succeed).
Old 05-08-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm a fan of De Palma's and like Dressed to Kill, but like others have said I would have preferred a different MGM title.

Last edited by inri222; 05-08-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 11:39 PM

we knew they were coming since the whole Janus restoration / theatrical release of the restored are happening now, - and Amazon has the preorder page up for the Apu Trilogy - no word on supplements or actual street date has been announced, but could be up for later today's posting of upcoming releases.
Old 05-18-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe the Apu Trilogy was confirmed to be a November release.
Old 05-18-15, 09:25 AM
Duplicate accounts are verboten

..i wish criterion would release the following on blu-ray:

matewan by john sayles and germinal by claude berri
Old 05-18-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

^ Speaking of John Sayles, "Lone Star" still doesn't have a BD release... I'd love for Criterion to get their hands on that.

As for Claude Berri, I was previously hoping Criterion would release Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring - but Shout Factory released both movies in a package with excellent picture quality and dirt cheap. So now I hope Criterion doesn't waste their time/resources on a release.
Old 05-18-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's August's titles:

768: The French Lieutenant's Woman

An astounding array of talent came together for the big-screen adaptation of John Fowles’s novel The French Lieutenant’s Woman, a postmodern masterpiece that had been considered unfilmable. With an ingenious script by the Nobel Prize–winning playwright Harold Pinter, British New Wave trailblazer Karel Reisz transforms Fowles’s tale of scandalous romance into an arresting, hugely entertaining movie about cinema. In Pinter’s reimagining, Jeremy Irons and Meryl Streep star in parallel narratives, as a Victorian-era gentleman and the social outcast he risks everything to love, and as the contemporary actors cast in those roles and immersed in their own forbidden affair. The French Lieutenant’s Woman, shot by the consummate cinematographer Freddie Francis and scored by the venerated composer and conductor Carl Davis, is a beguiling, intellectually nimble feat of filmmaking, starring a pair of legendary actors in early leading roles.

Disc Features
-New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New introduction by film scholar Ian Christie
-New interviews with actors Jeremy Irons and Meryl Streep, editor John Bloom, and composer Carl Davis
-Episode of The South Bank Show from 1981 featuring director Karel Reisz, novelist John Fowles, and screenwriter Harold Pinter
-Trailer
PLUS: An essay by film scholar Lucy Bolton

769: Day For Night

This loving farce from François Truffaut about the joys and turbulence of moviemaking is one of his most beloved films. Truffaut himself appears as the harried director of a frivolous melodrama, the shooting of which is plagued by the whims of a neurotic actor (Jean-Pierre Léaud); an aging but still forceful Italian diva (Valentina Cortese); and a British ingenue haunted by personal scandal (Jacqueline Bisset). An irreverent paean to the prosaic craft of cinema as well as a delightful human comedy about the pitfalls of love and sex, Day for Night is buoyed by robust performances and a sparkling score by the legendary Georges Delerue.

Disc Features
-New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New visual essay by filmmaker :: kogonada
-New interview with cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn
-New interview with film scholar Dudley Andrew
-Documentary on the film from 2003, featuring film scholar Annette Insdorf
-Archival interviews with director François Truffaut; editor Yann Dedet; and actors Jean-Pierre Aumont, Nathalie Baye, Jacqueline Bisset, Dani, and Bernard Menez
-Television footage of Truffaut on the film’s set in 1972
-Trailer
-New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by critic David Cairns

770: Dressed To Kill

Brian De Palma ascended to the highest ranks of American suspense filmmaking with this virtuoso, explicit erotic thriller. At once tongue-in-cheek and scary as hell, Dressed to Kill revolves around the grisly murder of a woman in Manhattan, and what happens when her psychiatrist, her brainiac teenage son, and the prostitute who witnessed the crime try to piece together what happened while the killer remains at large. With its masterfully executed scenes of horror, voluptuous camera work, and passionate score, Dressed to Kill is a veritable symphony of terror, enhanced by vivid performances by Angie Dickinson, Michael Caine, and Nancy Allen.

Disc Features
-New, restored 4K digital transfer of director Brian De Palma’s preferred unrated version, approved by the director, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New interviews with actor Nancy Allen, producer George Litto, composer Pino Donaggio, shower-scene body double Victoria Lynn Johnson, and poster photographic art director Stephen Sayadian
-New profile of cinematographer Ralf Bode, featuring filmmaker Michael Apted
-The Making of “Dressed to Kill,” a 2001 documentary featuring De Palma
-Interview with actor-director Keith Gordon from 2001
-Video pieces from 2001 about the different versions of the film and the cuts made to avoid an X rating
-Gallery of storyboards by De Palma
-Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Koresky

771: Two Days, One Night

Oscar winner Marion Cotillard received another nomination for her searing, deeply felt performance as a working-class woman desperate to hold on to her factory job, in this gripping film from master Belgian directors Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne. Cotillard is Sandra, a wife and mother who suffers from depression and discovers that, while she was home on sick leave, a majority of her coworkers voted in favor of her being fired rather than give up their annual bonuses. She then spends a Saturday and Sunday visiting them each in turn, to try to convince them to change their minds. From this simple premise, the Dardennes render a powerful, humanist drama about the importance of community in an increasingly impersonal world.

Disc Features
-New 2K digital transfer, approved by directors Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-New interviews with the Dardennes and actors Marion Cotillard and Fabrizio Rongione
-When Léon M.’s Boat Went Down the Meuse for the First Time (1979), a forty-five minute documentary by the Dardennes, featuring a new introduction by the directors
-New tour of the film’s key locations with the directors
-Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Girish Shambu

In addition, Night and the City will get a Blu-Ray upgrade.

And on DVD, they announced Eclipse Series 43: Agnès Varda in California.

Old 05-18-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

NIGHT AND THE CITY is a stone classic. Must have for sure. If I'm so inclined, I might pick up DRESSED TO KILL.
Old 05-19-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Here's August's titles:

769: Day For Night
I adore this film. So happy it will arrive via Criterion. It could very well be my fave by Truffaut.
Old 05-19-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Really liking the "Day for Night" and the "Night and the City" covers.

Since I'm being VERY picky with what I purchase, I won't be biting on any of these titles.
Old 05-19-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Two Days, One Night has an interesting premise and I'm hoping that Hulu has the film for me to check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.