Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 10-31-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wasn't that 2.2 cropped for the 70mm blow-up prints and later for the DVD?
Old 11-07-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

B&N sale is supposed to start today, right?

If so, it's not on their website, as it's only 27% off instead of 50%.
Old 11-07-14, 10:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

I thought it didn't start til the 11th
Old 11-07-14, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Wasn't that 2.2 cropped for the 70mm blow-up prints and later for the DVD?
yes, here's an explanation / comment from Fred Holywell (from over on Criterion's forum) on this topic:

"No, Visconti and Rotunno 'intended' a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, but protected for, at least, 2.21, 1.85, and 2.66:1 framing. At the time, 35mm Cinemascope compatible Technirama prints had a 2.35:1 frame. Full-frame Technirama was, indeed, 2.21:1, but the top of the frame was essentially 'dead space' easily cropped without affecting the compostition. In other words, the image is on the negative, but not on 35mm anamorphic prints. If 70mm 2.21:1 prints had been run, the image at the top of the neg would be printed up.

The reason for the 2.55:1 ar on The Film Foundation restoration is unclear, but it is a valid Technirama aspect ratio. The image appears to be (without seeing the original neg) 2.35:1 framing with some cropping at the top and bottom of the frame. The wider ar does allow for CRT monitor overscan, I suppose, and the picture info is basically more 'dead space' that would be cropped on some prints, anyway. FYI, new theatrical prints made from this restoration should have an ar of 2.39:1, in keeping with current specs.

What's often forgotten today is that Technirama was a multi-format, various ar system, similar to VistaVision. Initially, the Technicolor company hoped the process would be a 'one-size-fits-all solution' for all compatibility concerns. By the early 1960s, Technirama (or SuperTechnirama) prints were available in 70mm (SuperPanavision & UltraPanavision compatible); 35mm anamorphic; 35mm flat; and 16mm anamorphic. Since framing had to be protected for several different aspect ratios, camera movement and staging were often carefully, but necessarily, limited."

here's a webstory also detailing the transfer differences:

SCREENSHOTS FROM NEW LEOPARD BLU-RAY SHOW OFF COLORWORKS / SCORSESE RESTORATION
Old 11-07-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

It never starts on a Friday.
Old 11-07-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Okay, cool - for some reason, I'd read it started on 11/07.
Old 11-07-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,392 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles

What's often forgotten today is that Technirama was a multi-format, various ar system, similar to VistaVision. Initially, the Technicolor company hoped the process would be a 'one-size-fits-all solution' for all compatibility concerns. By the early 1960s, Technirama (or SuperTechnirama) prints were available in 70mm (SuperPanavision & UltraPanavision compatible); 35mm anamorphic; 35mm flat; and 16mm anamorphic. Since framing had to be protected for several different aspect ratios, camera movement and staging were often carefully, but necessarily, limited."[/i]
I know what my sig says about aspect ratios, and I tend to be pretty strict about making sure my discs have the right AR, but it's easy to forget that film has a commercial component to it that can't be ignored. There may be "one" aspect ratio that the director/cinematographer had in mind, but maybe these other "protected for" ratios aren't as wrong as we may have thought in years past.
Old 11-08-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

The Warner Archives have discontinued The Breaking Point, Blow-Up, Barcelona, and Kurosawa's Dreams. Very interesting......
Old 11-08-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Neil M.
The Warner Archives have discontinued The Breaking Point, Blow-Up, Barcelona, and Kurosawa's Dreams. Very interesting......
Hmmm... I'm not going to jump to any conclusions (since Warner still rarely licenses), but I could see all those fitting in the line (it helps that at least three of those directors have had other films put out by Criterion before)...
Old 11-08-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Hmmm... I'm not going to jump to any conclusions (since Warner still rarely licenses), but I could see all those fitting in the line (it helps that at least three of those directors have had other films put out by Criterion before)...
I'm not jumping to any conclusions either but we do know that Criterion is getting some WB titles.
Old 11-08-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 948 Likes on 670 Posts

I'm not jumping to any conclusions either but we do know that Criterion is getting some WB titles.
Not only that, but a Michael Curtiz page showed up on the Criterion website last week lending even more credence to the Breaking Point rumors.
Old 11-08-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like the image of GI Criterion showed on their website was just an advertisement for a cover art coffee table book. Alas, looks like thoughts of them recovering any Studio Canal stuff amounts to pipe dreams . C'est la vie.
Old 11-08-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Criterion already has Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco, Barcelona would let them finish out the Stillman trilogy.
Old 11-08-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The interesting thing is that Blow-Up was brought back into print a few weeks ago.
Old 11-08-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting about Kurosawa's Dreams. I'm hoping for a Criterion of that and Truffaut's Day for Night.
Old 11-09-14, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounds like the image of GI Criterion showed on their website was just an advertisement for a cover art coffee table book. Alas, looks like thoughts of them recovering any Studio Canal stuff amounts to pipe dreams . C'est la vie.
We knew that a month ago. Try to keep up man! In all seriousness though, there's still solid evidence that Criterion and Studio Canal are playing nice again. We'll probably know more when The Man Who Fell to Earth is rereleased next year.
Old 11-11-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocket1312
We knew that a month ago. Try to keep up man! In all seriousness though, there's still solid evidence that Criterion and Studio Canal are playing nice again. We'll probably know more when The Man Who Fell to Earth is rereleased next year.
Hey I just discovered Radiohead, OK, I'm behind the times . So MWFE is confirmed? It's The Third Man which I'm desperate for.
Old 11-11-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Blow-up would be fantastic and a natural for a Criterion Blu-ray release as they had already released it on Laser Disc.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-11-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So MWFE is confirmed? It's The Third Man which I'm desperate for.
The Man Who Fell to Earth is not confirmed. It's just strongly rumored at this point due to some comments on Criterion's instagram. I forget the exact quote or what the person's relationship to the project was, but it said the title was being rereleased in Feb. '15. The comment was then deleted. There's no way to verify the claim until Criterion announces it themselves, but the specificity of the comment lead many to believe it was true. Criterion should be announcing the February titles on Monday, so I guess we'll find out then.
Old 11-11-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just purchased the Tati set, the two Hellman westerns and The Vanishing from B&N...
Old 11-11-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

If they do re-release The Man Who Fell to Earth, will it be just be the same as the previous release, or will it be a new version (with more or fewer special features)?
Old 11-12-14, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If they do re-release The Man Who Fell to Earth, will it be just be the same as the previous release, or will it be a new version (with more or fewer special features)?
At the very least it won't have the book. I doubt time has passed enough that new extras are warranted.
Old 11-12-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The Man Who Fell to Earth is not confirmed. It's just strongly rumored at this point due to some comments on Criterion's instagram. I forget the exact quote or what the person's relationship to the project was, but it said the title was being rereleased in Feb. '15. The comment was then deleted. There's no way to verify the claim until Criterion announces it themselves, but the specificity of the comment lead many to believe it was true. Criterion should be announcing the February titles on Monday, so I guess we'll find out then.
How does Vudu's encode of TTM look? I suppose we can hope, but between hoping for that and the OOT, and having it all be strictly rumor mill, I might go insane .
Old 11-13-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does Vudu's encode of TTM look? I suppose we can hope, but between hoping for that and the OOT, and having it all be strictly rumor mill, I might go insane .
I have no idea what The Third Man's vudu looks like. As far as comparing it to the OOT, you know better than that. The Third Man has one excellent blu-ray that is oop but can still be found even if it is expensive and one pretty good blu-ray that can be had for $15. You can even throw in one excellent, but oop DVD that can be found for a very reasonable price. I wish that were the case with the OOT.
Old 11-17-14, 04:42 PM

February Releases:

Watership Down:

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with director Martin Rosen
New appreciation of the film by director Guillermo del Toro
Picture-in-picture storyboard for the entire film (Blu-ray); four film-to-storyboard scene comparisons (DVD)
Defining a Style, a 2008 featurette about the film’s aesthetic
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by comic book writer Gerard Jones

Fellini Satyricon

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring an adaptation of Eileen Lanouette Hughes’s memoir On the Set of “Fellini Satyricon”: A Behind-the-Scenes Diary
Ciao, Federico!, Gideon Bachmann’s hour-long documentary shot on the set of Fellini Satyricon
Archival interviews with director Federico Fellini
New interview with cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno
New documentary about Fellini’s adaptation of Petronius’s work, featuring interviews with classicists Luca Canali, a consultant on the film, and Joanna Paul
New interview with photographer Mary Ellen Mark about her experiences on the set and her iconic photographs of Fellini and his film
Felliniana, a presentation of Fellini Satyricon ephemera from the collection of Don Young
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Wood

Don't Look Now

New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Nicolas Roeg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New conversation between the film’s editor, Graeme Clifford, and film writer Bobbie O’Steen
“Don’t Look Now,” Looking Back, a short 2002 documentary featuring Roeg, Clifford, and cinematographer Anthony Richmond
Death in Venice, a 2006 interview with composer Pino Donaggio
Something Interesting, a new documentary on the writing and making of the film, featuring interviews with Richmond, actors Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, and coscreenwriter Allan Scott
Nicolas Roeg: The Enigma of Film, a new documentary on Roeg’s style, featuring interviews with filmmakers Danny Boyle and Steven Soderbergh
Q&A with Roeg at London’s Ciné Lumière from 2003
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by film critic David Thompson

Every Man for Himself

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Le scénario (1979), a short video created by director Jean-Luc Godard to secure financing for Every Man for Himself
New video essay by critic Colin MacCabe
New interviews with actor Isabelle Huppert and producer Marin Karmitz
Archival interviews with actor Nathalie Baye, cinema*tographers Renato Berta and William Lubtchansky, and composer Gabriel Yared
Two back-to-back 1980 appearances by Godard on The Dick Cavett Show
Godard 1980, a short film by Jon Jost, Donald Ranvaud, and Peter Wollen, featuring Godard
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin

An Autumn Afternoon

New, 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring film scholar David Bordwell, author of Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
Excerpts from Yasujiro Ozu and “The Taste of Sake," a 1978 French television program, featuring critics Michel Ciment and Georges Perec, that looks back on Ozu’s career
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: Essays by critic Geoff Andrew and scholar Donald Richie

Last edited by Giles; 11-17-14 at 04:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.