Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I used to take the sticker and stick them to the Amazon receipt, which I keep in inside the box along with the booklet (in fact, all receipts used to go in their respective cases). Now I don't do that anymore, but it was a good way to keep everything together if you're into that.
Old 07-17-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Wat about when you buy more then one on one receipt?

I used to keep,all reciepts in the case too until it just got out of hand with so many and
many receipts with more then one movie.

I also keep the CC blue signature sticker. I keep the sticker on the plastic
shrink wrap and cutout around the sticker and put it under the clear cover on the case.
Old 07-18-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep all the plastic shrink wraps, even the little shards that fall away during the opening process (those frustrate me), place them in envelopes and put them under my bed in boxes, so when I die in my sleep they'll go with me.
Old 07-18-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
My OCD in this area has gotten worse over the years. For the last few years I have saved pretty much everything in the DVD 'package'. Any sticker, even the top spine title sticker and useless generic advertising stickers like 'now on blu-ray' get saved inside the case or insert. The only things I throw away are the plain plastic wrap, and for certain generic titles that go in binders, the plain cases.

It really bothers me that for a few years I occasionally threw those top spine stickers away. I'm a mess.
That's pretty funny. Over the years, I've gone in the reverse direction.

I used to save all that stuff or leave it on the case (stickers), but then one day I realized I had a cabinet full of empty box set cases (when they used to actually put releases in individual cases in a box) b/c I liked to shelve the discs in their individual cases based on their title or director. It was a moment of clarity and I threw out all those boxes and realized that the other stuff (stickers on wrappers, back slip of a digibook) serve me no purpose.

To each their own, I'm certainly not advocating my approach. I just found it funny that we basically we went the opposite direction.
Old 07-18-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Finally, people that are crazier than me. Thank goodness.

Geez, all I do is replace eco-cases, put movie tickets inside the case where applicable and that's about it. I have done a few of the director approved sticker's before though. Oh and make sure any sticker residue is gone, but I just don't like shit sticking together though.
Old 07-18-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://megumikakumoto.com/Wes-Anders...l-Edition-DVDs

these aren't official...but I would LOVE it if they were.

Old 07-18-13, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ someone had a lot of free time (and talent) on their hands.
Old 07-18-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So stoked for La Notte! That and Life of Oharu have been on my nust have list for years. I was holding out for Criterion editions and I get them both in the same year!

BTW, I thought I was the only one that saved the blue stickers. I peel them off and place them on the plastic just behind the booklet. OCD? You betcha.
Old 07-19-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WMfI1AVAF_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-19-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek

Spoiler:

I know it's not a Criterion release but it would be cool if they added Moonrise Kingdom in that collection with a retro Boy Scout uniform on the cover.
Old 07-19-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I know it's not a Criterion release but it would be cool if they added Moonrise Kingdom in that collection....
Neither is Mr. Fox.
Old 07-23-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

For those that were interested in getting Devil's Backbone today - it's not available in B&N stores, only online. It's basically a week early "online exclusive" according to a friend of mine in the midwest.
Old 07-23-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

From the B&N Criterion 50% off sale thread:

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Just got The Devil's Backbone and The Ice Storm @ the B&M. Looking forward to these!
I guess it's YMMV.
Old 07-23-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus
From the B&N Criterion 50% off sale thread:

I guess it's YMMV.

Well alrighty then.
Old 07-23-13, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
For those that were interested in getting Devil's Backbone today - it's not available in B&N stores, only online. It's basically a week early "online exclusive" according to a friend of mine in the midwest.
yeah mine had The Ice Storm and both DVD and Blu of The Devil's Backbone. had a very nice girl helping me out too.
Old 07-23-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the USPS deceived me. Didn't come in today (Devil's Backbone), so most likely tomorrow.
Old 07-23-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got all 3 at my B and N today - Babette's Feast, devils backbone and Ice Storm. Can't beat 60% off...
Old 07-23-13, 09:31 PM

Yep, got my copy of The Devil's Backbone at a Raleigh, NC location today.
Old 07-23-13, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Got all 3 at my B and N today - Babette's Feast, devils backbone and Ice Storm. Can't beat 60% off...
actually, technically it's an additional 10 % discount off the 50 % sale price - not a full 60% off.
Old 07-24-13, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek

It's been a long long long time since I have posted here...this made me _______

PLEASE GOD YES!
Old 07-27-13, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got Devil's Backbone yesterday. For those who are interested, the director commentary, storyboard comparisons, documentary, deleted scenes (with commentary), trailer, and on-screen thumbnail track are the same as the last 'special edition' dvd from, I believe, 2004.

Anyone with the original dvd from 2001 may want to keep it for the original commentary from the director and the cinematographer.

Pucture-wise it looks really nice but I think there has been some tinkering with the image (I'm sure by Del Toro himself). It's mostly for the best though, IMHO.

The frame's been opened up further on all sides compared to the dvds. The booklet says this was from a 35mm print so he must have just opened the frame up more.

The contrast has been super boosted to create much darker blacks and shadows. This creates much more depth in the images and adds a nice chiaroscuro look to much of the film. The only downside is it also takes away a small amount of details in the shadows. Nothing ever important to the story, but still a fact nonetheless. It also makes the ghost a little harder to see in detail initially, but I get the feeling Del Toro wants the bigger reveal later in the film to be just that rather than just another appearance.

I also suspect the color timing has also been boosted (not changed. Cameron haters, don't even get started). Right from the credits it's obvious that the daytime scenes with their pale yellows and tans have been strengthened into a robust amber hue. The nighttime shots are also deepened in their blues, even making the faces and skin of the kids look more moonlit rather than just pale. Del Toro talks about this color scheme specifically in the 2004 commentary so it appears to be more of a tweak/fix than revisionism.

Overall, for better or for worse, it looks more like a "Del Toro" film now.

Last edited by wahlers; 07-28-13 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-27-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I know it's not a Criterion release but it would be cool if they added Moonrise Kingdom in that collection with a retro Boy Scout uniform on the cover.
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Neither is Mr. Fox.
They're both from studios (Fox and Universal) that have licensed to Criterion. The difference between the inevitable "Life Aquatic" Blu and these two is one is a simple port job and the others would be new releases, but I honestly think Anderson wants every one of his films in the collection and Criterion is happy to oblige him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Anderson has something written into his contracts that would allow his films to be licensed to Criterion (or even have Criterion's stuff licensed to the studios like the DVD editions of his 3 Disney films and Benjamin Button) even if he were to work with a studio that doesn't otherwise license to Criterion.

I don't think we'll ever see another day-and-date Anderson Criterion again though after Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic. At the very least I think we'll probably see bare-bones studio versions 2-4 years before the Criterion like Darjeeling.
Old 07-27-13, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by wahlers
Got Devil's Backbone yesterday. For those who are interested, the commentary, storyboard comparisons, documentary, and on-screen thumbnail track are the same as the last 'special edition' dvd from, I believe, 2004.

Anyone with the original dvd from 2001 may want to keep it for the original commentary from the director and the cinematographer.

Pucture-wise it looks really nice but I think there has been some tinkering with the image (I'm sure by Del Toro himself). It's mostly for the best though, IMHO.

The frame's been opened up further on all sides compared to the dvds. The booklet says this was from a 35mm print so he must have just opened the frame up more.

The contrast has been super boosted to create much darker blacks and shadows. This creates much more depth in the images and adds a nice chiaroscuro look to much of the film. The only downside is it also takes away a small amount of details in the shadows. Nothing ever important to the story, but still a fact nonetheless. It also makes the ghost a little harder to see in detail initially, but I get the feeling Del Toro wants the bigger reveal later in the film to be just that rather than just another appearance.

I also suspect the color timing has also been boosted (not changed. Cameron haters, don't even get started). Right from the credits it's obvious that the daytime scenes with their pale yellows and tans have been strengthened into a robust amber hue. The nighttime shots are also deepened in their blues, even making the faces and skin of the kids look more moonlit rather than just pale. Del Toro talks about this color scheme specifically in the 2004 commentary so it appears to be more of a tweak/fix than revisionism.

Overall, for better or for worse, it looks more like a "Del Toro" film now.
thanks for the info regarding this.
Old 07-30-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NASHVILLE!
Old 07-30-13, 08:30 PM

OH MY GOD YES SWEET JESUS YES I am SO EXCITED I just checked Nashville out of the library and was in the shower today thinking about how upset I was that the DVD is OOP and that I don't own it and how much I wanted Criterion to release it. Anyway, yeah! Sweet!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.