Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I would never insist that EVERY film in the CC is great, but I would say that if you can't pick 50 films out their 600+ titles that you personally love and consider great then you simply are not a fan of film.

I don't care if you own 1500 DVD's and go to the theater every Friday night, if you can't pick 50 you would call great you are no film fan and you are possibly an ignoramous.
Old 05-04-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I would never insist that EVERY film in the CC is great, but I would say that if you can't pick 50 films out their 600+ titles that you personally love and consider great then you simply are not a fan of film.

I don't care if you own 1500 DVD's and go to the theater every Friday night, if you can't pick 50 you would call great you are no film fan and you are possibly an ignoramous.
While I wouldn't quite go THAT far, I will say that if you are serious about film, the films in the collection are all worth watching at least once, regardless of whether they end up being films you enjoy (in my case, for example, Videodrome, Blow Out, The Night Of The Hunter, etc.) or not (again, in my case, Border Radio, or Armageddon)
Old 05-04-12, 02:28 PM

You pretty much said in much nicer words what I posted a couple of pages back. I have yet to find a movie in the collection that I've taken nothing away from watching.
Old 05-04-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Seriously, .

CC is not the be all, end all of important cinema, especially when it comes to films made in the past say 15 years.

Perusing the CC list I've probably seen 70-80 of the films. Maybe 15 of the ones I've seen I'd watch again. I do routinely try out films released by CC based on CC's reputation, but I'm not going to feel obligated to watch something simply because it's become part of the "club".

I will admit I have a hard time connecting with most films I've seen which were produced prior to the mid-70's or so. I'm not sure why this is but it is what it is. But I make it a point to seek out as many non-mainstream films, both foreign and domestic, as I can to make sure I am not stagnating. I own a region-free Blu-ray player for this very reason.

It's quite likely many of my favorite films from the past 15 years could be CC titles. Maybe they will be 40 years from now.

Bottom line is I am into home theater to enjoy film. I like to challenge myself with new films, but I also don't want to lose sight of the types of fun, escapist films I've come to love since childhood. I don't want to feel like I'm going to "school" every time I pick a movie to watch. Balance is key. Maybe some feel they need to see every CC release so they can discuss it in the confines of the "club". IMO that makes you more of a film researcher than a film fan.

To make such a blanket statement about film fans based on an arbitrary number of CC titles viewed or liked is frankly proof of ignorance and gross elitism.
Old 05-04-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
CC is not the be all, end all of important cinema, especially when it comes to films made in the past say 15 years.

Perusing the CC list I've probably seen 70-80 of the films.
If you've only seen 70-80 of the movies Criterion has released, I don't think you're qualified to speak on whether or not they're "the be all, end all of important cinema".
Old 05-04-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
If you've only seen 70-80 of the movies Criterion has released, I don't think you're qualified to speak on whether or not they're "the be all, end all of important cinema".
I disagree. Are you arguing they have released every important film? If not, then no, they are not the be all, end all of important cinema. They may be very important to it, but they are not all-inclusive. It would be impossible for them to be.
Old 05-04-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much.

A Criterion film is like sex, even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.
Old 05-04-12, 06:49 PM

Best analogy of the year!
Old 05-04-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Pretty much.

Are you saying that "Threesome" is being released by Criterion?!
Old 05-04-12, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Are you arguing they have released every important film?
Of course not, but neither was anyone your post was responding to, so if you want to go entirely literal about "be all, end all", it just means that your comment was only a strawman argument in the first place.

So, either you're mounting an absurd defense against a statement that no one is making or you're making a much more reasonable comment, but one that I don't think you're qualified to make as, by your own admission, you've only seen about 10% of the film library you're commenting on the value of.
Old 05-04-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

No question most Criterion's are certainly worth watching...but probably the more relevant question would be 'is it worth owning?' I own most of their mainstream releases... but I haven't really crossed over from "film collection" to "film library", which is what it'd be if I just start buying a bunch of their films. Take the America BBS set... I've debated all week whether to get it or not. Great value for the films.. I've only seen Easy Rider, which I enjoyed and appreciated. Do I love it in any special way? Not really....so, it's just back to whether I should own a film I merely 'enjoy' or keep it to films I really love.
Old 05-04-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I love The Criterion Collection and how well they treat classic films, however I don't think they're the be all end all. Just because they put something out doesn't mean it's worth watching and to tell people they aren't a true fan of film if they don't like a certain number of films out of the collection is ridiculous.
Old 05-05-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I think some kind of historical commentary would be very interesting, though, one that looked at not just the film but what was going on with the industry in the '70s in general. This movie really changed the studio system in a lot of ways. It certainly changed Cimino's career!
I wonder if they'll interview Steven Bach, who wrote the excellent Heaven's Gate book The Final Cut. Which, btw, I recently discovered on Amazon went OOP & is now really expensive used. I wonder why the book went OOP. Unless they plan on reissuing it alongside the Criterion release?

FYI, The Final Cut was also made as a TV Documentary, which is (or at least was) uploaded on Youtube. I wonder if this doc would be a bonus feature.

I just hope the release takes all viewpoints into account and doesn't solely act as an apologia for the film. I would love it if the interviews/commentaries/essays were as frank about the film's troubled production as the Caligula Imperial edition.

As for the rest of this thread, I think we should set up a system wherein anyone who uses the word "hipster" should be fined & forced to send a Paypal donation of a certain amount to DVD Talk. And maybe other words like "pretentious" and "overrated".
Old 05-05-12, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow- Gizmo, it's so priceless that you call Criterion 'hipster' and all of your Criterion discs are Wes Anderson and Richard Linklater movies!
No. That's emo. I was emo before hipsters were ironic.
Old 05-05-12, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
No question most Criterion's are certainly worth watching...but probably the more relevant question would be 'is it worth owning?' I own most of their mainstream releases... but I haven't really crossed over from "film collection" to "film library", which is what it'd be if I just start buying a bunch of their films. Take the America BBS set... I've debated all week whether to get it or not. Great value for the films.. I've only seen Easy Rider, which I enjoyed and appreciated. Do I love it in any special way? Not really....so, it's just back to whether I should own a film I merely 'enjoy' or keep it to films I really love.
You can argue this point about any Blu-ray distributor and, if I look at the output of all of them, for me, it's a much higher percentage of Criterion's releases that fall into the "worth owning" category than with any other distributor.
Old 05-05-12, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No. That's emo. I was emo before hipsters were ironic.
If you say so.

If Wes Anderson's movies aren't hipster movies, I don't know what are.
Old 05-05-12, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I wonder if they'll interview Steven Bach, who wrote the excellent Heaven's Gate book The Final Cut. Which, btw, I recently discovered on Amazon went OOP & is now really expensive used. I wonder why the book went OOP. Unless they plan on reissuing it alongside the Criterion release?
If they can swing that, I hope they will also arrange to sit down with Howard Hawks for a 'Red River' special edition. Maybe Borden Chase also.

I did enjoy the late Bach's book even though I've never seen 'Heaven's Gate.' other than bits and pieces on TV broadcast. Presumably if Criterion did interview him for a rumored HG disk then it happened several years ago.
Old 05-05-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The people (Gizmo) that dont like how Criterion consistently releases artsy-fartsy films are just upset that there is no other company similar to Criterion that releases high quality video, audio, extras, cool covers for every release. There is not one company that is like a "Hollywood movie Criterion" company. No one can say, I collect all the Fox and Paramount blu-rays. But there are people that can collect Criterion or Eureka MOC Blurays, because these two companies make a pretty good reason to collect them whether their movies suck or not (once again due to sticking to a particular genre of film and the blurays being high quality video, audio, great extras and amazing packaging).

If that's not the reason, then I dont know why else to be upset over Criterion's choices.

Didnt Criterion make more mainstream movies
on Laserdisc ir VHS? Maybe that's what people are upset over that the company is not following their pattern from the old days?

Last edited by toddly6666; 05-05-12 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Autumn Sonata, Children of Paradise, The Blob, Carnival of Souls and Sirk, please!
Marcel Carné's Children of Paradise is looking like a September Blu-ray release. I read that Janus has completed a 4K restoration and it looks sharp.

Last edited by CapRockBrewingCo.; 05-05-12 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If you say so.

If Wes Anderson's movies aren't hipster movies, I don't know what are.
I've been enjoying Wes Anderson films before "hipsters" was even a term.
Old 05-05-12, 09:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think Criterion needs to use this as their tag line.
Old 05-05-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I've been enjoying Wes Anderson films before "hipsters" was even a term.
Were you watching films he made as a child? Maybe they're a recent phenomenon in your neck of the woods, but I've lived among hipsters for a lot longer than Wes Anderson has been a filmmaker.
Old 05-05-12, 10:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cwwallace
Marcel Carné's Children of Paradise is looking like a September Blu-ray release. I read that Janus has completed a 4K restoration and it looks sharp.
they also struck a new 35mm print of 'Children' and is/has just played at the Film Forum.
Old 05-05-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course not, but neither was anyone your post was responding to, so if you want to go entirely literal about "be all, end all", it just means that your comment was only a strawman argument in the first place.

So, either you're mounting an absurd defense against a statement that no one is making or you're making a much more reasonable comment, but one that I don't think you're qualified to make as, by your own admission, you've only seen about 10% of the film library you're commenting on the value of.
My statement was more about the fact that while no one may come right out and state it, the prevailing attitude here is one of acting like CC is the "be all, end all." Of course when that question is put to folks directly they won't admit they believe that, but they sure act like it is. Point being you don't have to be a CC disciple to be a fan of film.

Normally I wouldn't even engage in this debate, but I happened to pop in here to see what might be coming out next and I saw Mabuse's statement and felt compelled to reply.

Anyway it's not my intent to come in here and derail things any further. Please feel free to have the last word. No minds will be changed obviously.
Old 05-05-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by theWitcher
If they can swing that, I hope they will also arrange to sit down with Howard Hawks for a 'Red River' special edition. Maybe Borden Chase also.

I did enjoy the late Bach's book even though I've never seen 'Heaven's Gate.' other than bits and pieces on TV broadcast. Presumably if Criterion did interview him for a rumored HG disk then it happened several years ago.
Whoops. Wasn't aware he passed away. [Looks on IMDB] 2009, ah. I humbly acknowledge I made a mistake. Let me rephase: Someone like Steven Bach, but who's still alive & retaining the motor functions necessary for a good interview.

I did see Bach interviewed on the TV documentary version of The Final Cut, on Youtube, but don't know when that was aired. I lose track of time, the joke's on me.

The point I was trying to make was: I'd rather this alleged release acknowledges the troubles of the film, warts and all, rather than glossing over those in favor of one-sided essays proclaiming this a "misunderstood masterpiece". I hope they're not just waiting for former UA employees to die off so it can be a Cimino circle jerk. I tried listening to that guy's commentary on Year of the Dragon... if I was able to stay neutral about him after reading The Final Cut (which is what made me interested in watching Heaven's Gate to begin with), about halfway into the commentary I hated this guy. "I refuse to use storyboards, they're only for directors who have no imagination." At this point I wonder- why the hell am I listening to this guy? In fact, why would anyone take storyboard advice from the guy who really could've used some storyboards on Heaven's Gate? Does he give advice on fiscal responsibility during The Deer Hunter commentary?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.