Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 05-02-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

^fucking love that movie. "If you want to be me be me, if you want to be you be you cause there is a million things to be you know that they are"
Old 05-02-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
"If you want to be me be me, if you want to be you be you cause there is a million things to be you know that they are"
That makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Also, I hate H&M; I find it to be a truly nonsensical and dreadfully pretentious piece of crap - if you've never seen it, be forewarned!
Old 05-02-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
You’ve got to be kidding me.

I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

It’s just common sense.
Old 05-02-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I hate H&M; I find it to be a truly nonsensical and dreadfully pretentious piece of crap - if you've never seen it, be forewarned!
I could see one thinking it mawkish, dated or sentimental, but in what way is Harold and Maude pretentious?
Old 05-02-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harold and Maude is great (and decidedly not pretentious), and yet barely even among Ashby's five best films of the 70s.

Ashby's filmography is really depressing - he was one of the best filmmakers of an already great decade, and then, as soon as the 70s ended, he completely flamed out.
Old 05-02-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On an unrelated note, Criterion just posted a still from the Dardenne brothers' Rosetta saying that it'll be one of their August releases. Hopefully it'll be paired with La Promesse, one of my four or five favorite films of all time.
Old 05-02-12, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah..from a just a look at it w/o letting it suck in or whatever. Mawkish would be one thing I'd call it as well. It ALMOST makes me not like it but that's just cuz of certain elements that I normally don't like in my movies. It clicks well for H&M.
Old 05-02-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could have done without all those Cat Stevens songs. If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I've seen the film, every time I was starting to get involved in the film there was another endless Cat Stevens song, so much so that I was wondering if rather than providing songs for the film, the film was providing itself for his songs. I'm just not a huge fan of expressing interior monologue through the method of "the singer-songwriter showcase". Similar issue with The Aimee Mann Variety Hour (aka: Magnolia). [I wonder how many people I've alienated in this one paragraph]

Loved Ruth Gordon. She was a force of nature.

As far as Hal Ashby goes, though, I LOVE Being There.
Old 05-02-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
As for Harold and Maude...did they nix some of the extras/booklet (the reason for the delay)? I can't remember where I read that, but I see some websites still list the original bonus materials (while Criterions does not).
Mr. Tooze (he of the questionable screencaps) lists the following extras as included (and apparently has the disc already since it's up on his site):

Audio commentary by Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson and producer Charles B. Mulvehill

Illustrated audio excerpts of seminars by Ashby (13:17) and writer-producer Colin Higgins (13:09)

New interview with songwriter Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) - 11:05

Someone correct me if wrong, but I believe these were the originally announced features.

EDIT: I did not see mention of the printed extras. Perhaps the booklet contents are changing?

Last edited by Superdaddy; 05-02-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's his review
Old 05-02-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I could have done without all those Cat Stevens songs. If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I've seen the film, every time I was starting to get involved in the film there was another endless Cat Stevens song, so much so that I was wondering if rather than providing songs for the film, the film was providing itself for his songs. I'm just not a huge fan of expressing interior monologue through the method of "the singer-songwriter showcase". Similar issue with The Aimee Mann Variety Hour (aka: Magnolia). [I wonder how many people I've alienated in this one paragraph]
I've always found the Cat Stevens songs kind of corny, but, to me, that's part of the charm of the film. I can understand being annoyed by them though.
Old 05-02-12, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Mr. Tooze (he of the questionable screencaps) lists the following extras as included (and apparently has the disc already since it's up on his site):

Audio commentary by Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson and producer Charles B. Mulvehill

Illustrated audio excerpts of seminars by Ashby (13:17) and writer-producer Colin Higgins (13:09)

New interview with songwriter Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) - 11:05

Someone correct me if wrong, but I believe these were the originally announced features.

EDIT: I did not see mention of the printed extras. Perhaps the booklet contents are changing?
Questionable screencaps?
Old 05-03-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LPMA
Questionable screencaps?
DVD Beaver has been criticized for not using a consistent capture and compression methodology over the years.
Old 05-03-12, 07:58 AM

Oh, I had no idea. Fair criticism too.
Old 05-03-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Also, boobs.
Old 05-03-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That Rosetta news is good stuff.
Old 05-03-12, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan

Loved Ruth Gordon. She was a force of nature.

As far as Hal Ashby goes, though, I LOVE Being There.
The Graduate was similar with an all Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack.

Oddly enough, I love Magnolia as well. Perhaps films with soundtracks almost exclusively by one artist/duo is the way to go? Has to be cheaper!
Old 05-03-12, 09:26 AM
Suspended

That's pretty much what I think of 95% of the crap that Criterion releases. Artsy fartsy flicks that the local hipster sitting at Starbucks being ironic would watch.
Old 05-03-12, 09:28 AM

If you find Harold & Maude to be unrealistic or far fetched its because its meant to be. Its not about reality but an idea of balance and harmony. The simplicity in Cat Stevens songs are an extension of that a straightforward message of do whatever the fuck you want its your life after all.

Its the prototype of Wes Anderson films
Old 05-03-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's pretty much what I think of 95% of the crap that Criterion releases. Artsy fartsy flicks that the local hipster sitting at Starbucks being ironic would watch.
Yes, we get it. You don't like foreign films or anything released before 1980. Why continuously harp on it or attempt to insult those with broader and more sophisticated tastes than yours? I'm sure there are plenty of Criterion buyers that fit your above description, but that doesn't mean that anyone who watches 'art' films does so only because they view it is as the trendy, cool thing to do. Some of us just like good movies.

Last edited by NoirFan; 05-03-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

95%? Most of the films in the collection had a strong reputation before Criterion had anything to do with them, so it has always been a lot more than just "hipsters" watching them. But nice way to try to attack the collection (and anyone who enjoys/appreciates most of the films in it) by associating them with those dreaded hipsters.

-

Since many of the films in the collection are so different from each other stylistically and otherwise (no, "artsy-fartsy" isn't a style), it does seem a bit weird to systematically dislike almost all of them when the only thing many of them have in common is the Criterion banner (in other words, Sternberg isn't much at all like Renoir, and Renoir isn't much at all like Kurosawa, and Kurosawa isn't much at all like Chaplin, etc.) With that said, it's absolutely fine to think that 95% of the films in the collection are crap.

Having seen about 80% of the collection, I would strongly disagree - I would say that about 50% of the films in the collection are really good to great (though there definitely are also some awful films mixed in) - but it's all just a matter of opinion and taste. On the other hand, it's pretty lame, and dumb, to then try to disparage a fairly large group of people - in this case, those who enjoy films that you don't like (but which are widely regarded as some of the greatest ever made) - by connecting them to another disliked group who (allegedly) share a (tenuous) connection (hipsters are just as likely to watch Transformers or The Avengers "ironically" as they are to watch, say, Andrei Rublev.)

Last edited by Sondheim; 05-03-12 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 09:49 AM

fuck the hipster!
Old 05-03-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Old 05-03-12, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Yes, we get it. You don't like foreign films or anything released before 1980. Why continuously harp on it or attempt to insult those with broader and more sophisticated tastes than yours? I'm sure there are plenty of Criterion buyers that fit your above description, but that doesn't mean that anyone who watches 'art' films does so only because they view it is as the trendy, cool thing to do. Some of us just like good movies.
....and yet i just posted that I enjoyed Harold & Maude and The Graduate. I watch - and own - plenty of films from before the 80's. I don't, however, think that everything Criterion releases deserves the appreciation some give them. Lots of artsy fartsy flicks that are just not very good, IMO. It's an opinion - much like slop101 has for Harold and Maude. Since Criterion typically releases films the big studios won't touch, you are probably in the minority of thinking Criterions releases are "good" movies. Because if they were, they would be released by the respective studios so they could earn the profit from them (since many were flops). Shit, this isn't Battlefield Earth discussion.

Criterion is so hipster nowadays. "Dude, I just scored Spine 352! Let's go be ironic at the local Starbucks wearing are skinny jeans rolled up and thick glasses even those we have lasik!"
Old 05-03-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Artsy fartsy flicks that the local hipster sitting at Starbucks being ironic would watch.

I don't like hipsters either, but I'd rather be a hipster than let my taste in movies be defined by whether or not a hipster is also watching the same movie as I am.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.