Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
IGlad to see the apparent Rosemary's Baby hint. Hopefully that might be coming our way in August.
I'm guessing October, as with Island of Lost Souls and Kuronoko last year, and Hausu in 2010.
Old 04-22-12, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMA
I've started preparing for the July sale and am trying to narrow down the list of titles I'll be getting. If anyone has any recommendations of blu-ray releases they very strongly recommend that aren't in my collection yet (see the link below), feel free to let me know!
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Blow Out
The War Room
Videodrome
Blow Out and Videodrome are definitely on my shortlist. As for The War Room, I tend to stay away from documentaries unless the subject matter really interests me, and I can't say that politics do. I've heard great things about this one though.
I love Videodrome, the film and the Criterion release. But the last person who watched it because of my praise, he hated it. I like Videodrome, but I don't think I or anyone can make accurate recommendations without knowing what you like.

If I use your Criterion collection as indication of what you like, I think Kuroneko would fit in given your predilection for Japanese films & films with stunning black & white cinematography (think maybe Yojimbo by the way of Cocteau, with a dash of Edgar Allan Poe). It's a haunting & atmospheric supernatural ghost story with beautiful b&w cinematography. Videodrome's one of my all-time favorite films, but for your collection I'd recommend Kuroneko.

Do the recommendations have to be Blu-ray? Because I'd think Kwaidan should be in your collection, being one of the most influential Japanese horror films; also an influence on anthology horror films. Would you settle for an anamorphic widescreen DVD?
Old 04-22-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Do not buy the Criterion disc of Kwaidan! It is missing twenty minutes, and sports a weak transfer. The Masters of Cinema release is uncut, of superior quality, and includes a 76-page booklet. Here is a comparison.
Old 04-22-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
^
Do not buy the Criterion disc of Kwaidan! It is missing twenty minutes, and sports a weak transfer. The Masters of Cinema release is uncut, of superior quality, and includes a 76-page booklet. Here is a comparison.
I like to think Criterion will fix that when they release it on Blu-ray.
Old 04-22-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like to think Criterion will fix that when they release it on Blu-ray.
I'm sure they will, but in the meantime, the DVD should be avoided.
Old 04-22-12, 11:31 AM

Yeah, that's mainly the reason why I'm concentrating on their blu-ray releases. Knowing that they will get around to upgrading most of their titles and that I'll surely want to upgrade as well, and with so many already available on blu-ray, I'd rather go for these right now.

I enjoyed all of the Cronenberg films I have seen, so I'm tempted to get Videodrome on the back of that.

As for my preferences, I do enjoy gorgeous black & white cinematography (or color), but I'm afraid the amount of Japanese titles in my collection has been skewed by my project of collecting IMDb's top 250. I am very interested in seeing Kuroneko however.

I should also probably say that I think I would be okay with 'hating' one of my Criterion purchases, given the 'collection' aspect of it all. That has yet to happen though.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to watch some of the trailers. I know trailers can somewhat be deceiving but it should provide me some sort of basis to help me decide.
Old 04-22-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
^
Do not buy the Criterion disc of Kwaidan! It is missing twenty minutes, and sports a weak transfer.
Well, shit! That's the first I knew about the missing 20 minutes. I searched around to find what was cut. DVDcompare.net says:

About the running time differences (all this info is from criterionforum.org -forums, and users "Annie Mall" & "editman"):
-"Black Hair" -episode: The end of the segment is extended on the longer version. On Criterion it ends on a freeze frame of the samurai husband looking into his reflection on water. On the longer version however, he staggered madly outside the ruin of the house, found a piece of red cloth(ing), which turned into a chuck of black hair and 'attacked' him. The blue title at the beginning of the feature (announcing that this film won an award at Cannes that year) is missing from some releases (at least Japanese and Spanish -discs).
-"The Woman in the Snow" -episode: In this episode the "main differences" are to be found. There is a nudity scene (clearly censored for international tastes), another where we see the mother breast-feeding a baby and another one still where we actually see the mother and their children visiting the grave of the mother-in-law. The Intermission title card between "The Woman of the Snow" and "Hoichi the Earless" is missing on Criterion-disc.
-"Hoichi the Earless" -episode: Longer version has a scene involving the finding of a dead body on a beach, that later in the story gets a funeral at sea (we see the funeral boat leaving the shore).
Was the footage missing at the time Criterion released the DVD? This is also posted under IMDB's "alternate versions": Originally a four-episode anthology released in Japan at 183 minutes.
The USA version removes the second episode, starring Keiko Kishi and Tatsuya Nakadai, in order to shorten the running time to 125 minutes.
Can you link to any articles that explain the cut histories? Or would you rather chide me than educate me.

I enjoyed all of the Cronenberg films I have seen, so I'm tempted to get Videodrome on the back of that.
Well, unlike Kwaidan, Criterion features Videodrome's UNCUT unrated version with the footage excised from Universal's R-rated release. It also has 2 great audio commentaries. Cronenberg's commentary is great as usual, but James Woods is the rare actor who delivers an equally insightful commentary; in fact he does a better job of explaining who Marshall McLuhan was. Also, a bonus feature I consider a real treat is an archival 1982 roundtable interview with Cronenberg, John Carpenter & John Landis (all making films at Universal at the time), hosted by a young Mick Garris! Carpenter's current production is The Thing, another one of my all time favorites, and I love seeing the dynamic between these directors.

As for my preferences, I do enjoy gorgeous black & white cinematography (or color), but I'm afraid the amount of Japanese titles in my collection has been skewed by my project of collecting IMDb's top 250.
But it's ever-shifting. Different films are constantly bumped in and out of the 240's depending on the user voting averages. I remember Shaun of the Dead was once up there but got bumped out. What are you going to do with your purchases that get bumped out of the 250? Are you going to continually buy every movie that briefly gets voted up into the top 250? I swear, there are fanboy mobs of certain popular directors (especially Chris Nolan & James Cameron) that ensure their latest film gets into the top 250 through mass voting. The Nolan mob's going to jam The Dark Knight Rises up there come hell or high water, regardless of Bane's intelligibility. I dunno, I just can't lend much credence to a list where Revenge of the Sith is one of the best films internationally of all time. I say exercise free will and make your own top 250. "There is no fate but what we rate for ourselves."
Old 04-22-12, 01:25 PM

It has become a little problematic indeed. The new releases showing up in there don't bother me so much, because so far they're all movies I would've ended up buying anyways. But 240-250 has been shifting pretty frequently lately, and I haven't been jumping out and buying every single one of them instantly. I usually wait and see if it will stick around and rise or not. I've recently decided I will probably at least wait until they make it above the 240 mark.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I used it as a way to broaden my horizons and be introduced to films I had never heard of. Some I've loved, some less, but I have been able to take something away from each of them I have watched so far. It's also turned me into a Criterion enthusiast (before that I think the only two I owned were Benjamin Button and Man Bites Dog), and that can't be a bad thing, right?
Old 04-22-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Nice collection.

I would recommend the upcoming La Haine disc. The movie is awesome and the disc should be reference quality. The black & white looks amazing.
Old 04-24-12, 08:24 AM

Thanks! I'm most definitely getting La Haine, I am pretty set on the May/June titles I'm planning on getting.
Old 04-24-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harris Savides visits "the closet" - i'd say THE GAME is a sure thing now...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cQFAPBbjsaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-24-12, 11:51 AM

I. cannot. wait.
Old 04-25-12, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of this film...I'm now interested in it. Love seeing Olmos when he was younger.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wpNdVOyle3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and I never get tired of CC's 3 Reasons.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d2gtr4DsEWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-25-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I. cannot. wait.
For? what?
Old 04-25-12, 12:51 PM

The more-than-likely release of The Game.
Old 04-25-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Being John Malkovich
Old 04-25-12, 10:37 PM
Banned

Malkovich Malkovich
Old 04-27-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review of The Organizer
Old 04-27-12, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Malkovich Malkovich
Malkovich?
Old 04-28-12, 01:03 PM
Banned

....sooooo what is involvement here? Kaufman? I'd love to see The Right Stuff from CC...anyway..discuss, motherfuckers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5sMFHvBEvKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-28-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
....sooooo what is involvement here? Kaufman? I'd love to see The Right Stuff from CC...anyway..discuss, motherfuckers.
I'd like to see it be Unbearable Lightness, but rights seemed to have gone to Warner so I would guess either The White Dawn (Paramount) or Henry & June (Universal).
I thought Warner was supposed to release a Bd of the Right Stuff either this year (or maybe it was even last year). That seemed like a solid rumor so I would wonder if they are holding it for another year or two to release on an anniversary?
Old 04-28-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I thought Warner was supposed to release a Bd of the Right Stuff either this year (or maybe it was even last year). That seemed like a solid rumor so I would wonder if they are holding it for another year or two to release on an anniversary?
Digital Bits listed it as a 2012 release, but as next year will be the 30th anniversary, I can see WB waiting until then.
Old 04-28-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I'd like to see it be Unbearable Lightness, but rights seemed to have gone to Warner so I would guess either The White Dawn (Paramount) or Henry & June (Universal).
More Kaufman is always welcome with me. I'd love for this to be Henry and June, but I'll be interested in anything.

Too bad indeed that Criterion won't be getting Unbearable Lightness back. I have the CC DVD but would love that on BD.
Old 04-28-12, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

As for Harold and Maude...did they nix some of the extras/booklet (the reason for the delay)? I can't remember where I read that, but I see some websites still list the original bonus materials (while Criterions does not).
Old 05-02-12, 11:28 AM
Banned

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u5zQYSLy3ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.