Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 04-19-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I'd be so ecstatic if Quiz Show got the Criterion treatment.
Old 04-19-12, 12:34 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I'm excited about the Whit Stillman films, but while they were at it, why couldn't they get the rights to Barcelona and do a Stillman Trilogy box set? It's OOP on DVD and right up Criterion's alley...
The stiffs at Warner won't license their crap to anybody and won't do proper releases on many films.
Old 04-19-12, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDuke

The image name says this is rosemary.
Wacky rosemary. (wacky_rosemary.jpg)

If we're to add Wacky to the equation... Pirates is getting its DVD/BD debut! j/k

Is "wacky rosemary" a euphemism for pot? (Hey, I was born in the 80's, there's a lot of 60's vocabulary that died before I was born)
Old 04-19-12, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rosemary's Baby? Not likely but would be awesome.
Old 04-19-12, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
Rosemary's Baby? Not likely but would be awesome.
it's 100% likely and that's exactly what it'll be
Old 04-19-12, 08:01 AM

That image is definitely 100% Rosemary's Baby. Any other interpretation would be too much of a stretch.
Old 04-19-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I'm excited about the Whit Stillman films, but while they were at it, why couldn't they get the rights to Barcelona and do a Stillman Trilogy box set? It's OOP on DVD and right up Criterion's alley...
This is why I haven't bought these two yet. I was hoping for a box set with all three films. But if the other post is correct, Criterion may never get the rights to Barcelona.
Old 04-19-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPMA
That image is definitely 100% Rosemary's Baby. Any other interpretation would be too much of a stretch.
And it was already hinted at with the previously discussed medallion/necklace around Ruth Gordon's (who, of course, was in both Baby and Maude) neck in the 2012 preview drawing.
Old 04-19-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sondheim
However, Criterion does seem to like Polanski, and it would be awesome to have the entire "Apartment Trilogy" in the collection.
Wouldn't Carnage make it an "Apartment Tetralogy" now? Or are we just counting horror-themed efforts?

And yes, please Criterion, get on The Tenant; probably my favorite Polanski film. Also, if you can strike a deal with Columbia and get ahold of his Macbeth, that would be swell, too.
Old 04-19-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think there's been some big announcements. Certified Copy was big to me, as was The Gold Rush. I hope Criterion gets more noteworthy releases though. When I see Masters of Cinema releasing stuff like The Lost Weekend and Double Indemnity, I hold out hope Criterion will get some huge movies too.
I was just about to post something similar. It is pretty disheartening to me to see MoC releasing such landmark films while Criterion isn't keeping up at all.

I understand it is a matter of taste and one man's Last Days of Disco is another man's Touch of Evil. But, to me, a "big" title is a landmark classic film, not a new release or something more contemporary.

Criterion DVD was a way for young people or new film fans to get a crash course in foreign classics (Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, etc), but so far, it has been pretty slim pickings on Blu-ray for the foreign masters. MoC is blowing them away with their Antonioni and Pasolini output alone.
Old 04-19-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've actually been a bit disappointed in Masters of Cinema over the past year or so, mainly because the past several announcements seem to represent a change in focus to big, canonical classics. It's not that those classics aren't (usually) great, rather it's that the reason I started loving MoC in the first place is because of all the hidden gems in their catalog. Fortunately, there's still an occasional release like A Man Vanishes and Coeur fidèle that I find really exciting (I thought both films were masterpieces.)

In terms of Criterion, I'd say, just from their announced titles this year, Anatomy of a Murder, Late Spring, and The Gold Rush are all "landmark classic films." I'd also say they're all better than The Lost Weekend, but I've never been a fan of that particular Wilder film (Double Indemnity, on the other hand...)

Those "foreign masters" are Criterion's bread and butter, but at this point I get a lot more excited about the hidden gems - the Czech New Wave set, The Letter Never Sent, The Organizer. None of them have the name status of the Wilders or the Chaplin, but I would rank them among the greatest films ever made - higher than many of the more established classics, even. They may not be focusing as much on the obvious choices, but they still manage to release one or two (or more) genuinely great films most months - even if the titles or directors aren't as well known as Kurosawa or Fellini.
so far, it has been pretty slim pickings on Blu-ray for the foreign masters. MoC is blowing them away with their Antonioni and Pasolini output alone.
I don't really get that. If we're looking at their Blu-ray output as a whole, Criterion is "beating" MoC pretty handily. Even Criterion's schedule of upcoming releases includes two previously unreleased Bergman films, along with upgrades of Ozu and Hitchcock films. The Bergmans and the Hitchcock may not be among those directors' most highly regarded titles, but MoC's two recent Antonioni releases aren't generally considered among his most major works either (though I absolutely loved La signora senza camelie.)

Of course, Criterion releases a lot more every year than MoC, so that gives them an advantage. But while the past six months have seen fewer upgrades, in the past few years we've seen Criterion HD releases of major films from such masters as Fellini, Bergman, Godard, Truffaut, Ozu, Powell & Pressburger, Antonioni, Nicholas Ray, Satyajit Ray (my favorite BD release of last year,) Bunuel, Cocteau, Malle, Pontecorvo, Melville, Lumet, Vigo, Lubitsch, Clouzot, etc.

Which isn't to turn this into an MoC vs. Criterion thing - I love both companies equally - Criterion simply has a lot more resources than MoC, so they're able to put out a lot more. Even if I am sometimes underwhelmed by their choices, I will always be grateful to them for introducing me to a lot of genuinely great films, and I have full faith that the average quality of their releases over the course of any given few year period will always be pretty high (if that makes any sense.)

Last edited by Sondheim; 04-19-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ I see your point, but while MoC has moved towards those "big, canonical classics," Criterion has moved away from them. So, I think the two collections still compliment each other, but in the inverse manner than they used to.

Unfortunately, MoC releases are much more expensive (for those of us in the US at least) and while I appreciate both companies and the types of films they release, I much preferred it when the cheaper alternative was the canonical classics and I was able to cherry pick the few more obscure releases I wanted from overseas.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I cannot stand the Criterion-IFC partnership. I enjoyed it when each month's announcement was a collection of classic gems. The contemporary stuff, even if deserving, just never feels right. And unfortunately, results in stuff like Tiny Furniture (a rant for a different time and thread) being given a Criterion BD release.

It may not be the most rational frustration to have and I freely admit that, but in my magical ideal world, Criterion would be reserved for classics, not contemporary films they are betting will be deemed classics at some later date.

Or maybe I am just reeling a bit from the July announcements...only 4 films and none from before the 80s (only particularly interested in picking up Down by Law right away).
Old 04-19-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
It may not be the most rational frustration to have and I freely admit that, but in my magical ideal world, Criterion would be reserved for classics, not contemporary films they are betting will be deemed classics at some later date.
Criterion's mission statement has included 'important' contemporary films from their very beginning.

"The Criterion Collection is a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films on home video."
Old 04-19-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I enjoyed Down By Law, back in the day, but don't need to own it. *Meh* month for me.
I was just about to type meh myself, I have no use for any of these.
Old 04-20-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
And it was already hinted at with the previously discussed medallion/necklace around Ruth Gordon's (who, of course, was in both Baby and Maude) neck in the 2012 preview drawing.
ok, well excuse me while go and do a merry jig. It's one my favorites and I thought it'd gone into Paramount's forgotten bin.
Old 04-20-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Criterion's mission statement has included 'important' contemporary films from their very beginning.

"The Criterion Collection is a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films on home video."
Just looking through the collection sorted by spine number, the idea of Criterion regularly releasing a "new release" had been fairly novel up until the IFC deal where we now generally get a "new release" film per announcement.

I didn't expect Criterion to begin releasing Blu-rays and then just open the Fellini floodgates, but it would be nice to have more than two Fellini films in 3 years. And it seems they have gone heavier on US films than normal, which is not in and of itself a bad thing at all, just a difference I've noticed. But don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to add The Killing/Killer's Kiss, Sweet Smell of Success, and Anatomy of a Murder (seen for the first time) to my collection.

But alas, it is Criterion, satisfaction with them ebbs and flows from release announcement to release announcement.
Old 04-20-12, 09:33 AM

I've started preparing for the July sale and am trying to narrow down the list of titles I'll be getting. If anyone has any recommendations of blu-ray releases they very strongly recommend that aren't in my collection yet (see the link below), feel free to let me know!
Old 04-20-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll chime in with another "nothing for me", but great news on Rosemary's Baby. I've only seen it once, years ago, and I'm anxious to revisit it.
Old 04-20-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I've started preparing for the July sale and am trying to narrow down the list of titles I'll be getting. If anyone has any recommendations of blu-ray releases they very strongly recommend that aren't in my collection yet (see the link below), feel free to let me know!
Blow Out
The War Room
Videodrome
Old 04-20-12, 10:39 AM

Blow Out and Videodrome are definitely on my shortlist. As for The War Room, I tend to stay away from documentaries unless the subject matter really interests me, and I can't say that politics do. I've heard great things about this one though.
Old 04-20-12, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

talking about IFC...I'm still waiting for Y Tu Mama Tambien.
Old 04-20-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The Thin Red Line
Days of Heaven
Old 04-20-12, 06:41 PM

Also both on my shortlist, but I have to admit that The Tree of Life has scared me off of Malick a bit.
Old 04-20-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also both on my shortlist, but I have to admit that The Tree of Life has scared me off of Malick a bit.
Understandable but don't let that dissuade you. Both those are far better than Tree of Life.
Old 04-21-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Wouldn't Carnage make it an "Apartment Tetralogy" now? Or are we just counting horror-themed efforts?

And yes, please Criterion, get on The Tenant; probably my favorite Polanski film. Also, if you can strike a deal with Columbia and get ahold of his Macbeth, that would be swell, too.
I would love to see Polanski's Macbeth on BD. Incredible film.

Glad to see the apparent Rosemary's Baby hint. Hopefully that might be coming our way in August.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.