Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I made all those up just to try to prove a point, but it's pretty sweet that I was actually right about one of them. Guess I'll have to get rid of my Veronique and Fish Tank imports now
Criterioncast has actually been fairly close when it comes to release speculation.
Old 11-15-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I made all those up just to try to prove a point
LOL, that's evil man.
Old 11-15-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, crap... and I just got excited by the notion of Harakiri and The Royal Tenenbaums on Blu-ray as well!

I will say I am excited about seeing several of these upcoming Blu-ray releases. I haven't seen most of them so they will be rented first and then I'll purchase any or all of them if I deem them worth adding to my collection (which is most often the case)!

I guess I should unload my Amarcord DVD set now.
Old 11-15-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Eh, I won't be getting any of those.
I really hope you meant to write, "Eh, [I own most/all of those,] so I won't be getting any of those."

Really, no interest in Amarcord? Sweet Smell of Success? La Double Vie?

Those are all worth at least a rental. Sweet Smell is one of my favorite films.
Old 11-15-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw Tenenbaums, more people should be excited about Sweet Smell of Success. I'm so psyched to own this movie on Blu-Ray. One of my all-time favorite scripts in the history of film. I just love the dialogue in this movie.

Plus, my favorite artist ever is just did some art for this movie, which I hope they use as the cover . . .

Old 11-15-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You don't like The Royal Tenenbaums? That's one of my favorite Wes Anderson films.

Anyway, I've never seen The Sweet Smell of Success so it's hard to get too excited about it. I plan to rent the Blu-ray when it comes out.
Old 11-15-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Understanding that you haven't seen SSOS, I have to say that it is one of the safest blind buys you could make.
Old 11-15-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
that gives me some time to watch my import bluray edition.
I blind purchased "The Double Life of Véronique" a few months back as an import, and while I thought the PQ was great, I found the movie painfully dull. Which surprised me because I love the "Three Colours" trilogy.
Old 11-15-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
You don't like The Royal Tenenbaums? That's one of my favorite Wes Anderson films.
I like it, it just seems like every single time there is a criterion announcement about some great new release, all people post about his Wes Anderson.
Old 11-15-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Screw Tenenbaums, more people should be excited about Sweet Smell of Success. I'm so psyched to own this movie on Blu-Ray. One of my all-time favorite scripts in the history of film. I just love the dialogue in this movie.

Plus, my favorite artist ever is just did some art for this movie, which I hope they use as the cover . . .

to Sweet Smell of Success and I don't know if you were joking or not because the cover art was posted prior to your post:

Old 11-15-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, I've never seen The Sweet Smell of Success so it's hard to get too excited about it. I plan to rent the Blu-ray when it comes out.
Good luck. Netflix doesn't seem to carry any Criterion Blu-rays that already have DVD releases. Most annoying.
Old 11-15-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's odd. In any case, I'm fine with renting the DVD first over blind-buying the Blu-ray.

However, knowing myself, I may blind buy it based on some of the favorable comments I'm seeing for this film on here.
Old 11-15-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

However, knowing myself, I may blind buy it based on some of the favorable comments I'm seeing for this film on here.
Yeah I'm pretty sure you will blind buy it! hell even I feel like getting it, that cover is pretty sweet
Old 11-15-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm...you could always just rent the old mgm release from netflix.
Old 11-15-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I like the art, but I think it's a bit too cartoony for the cover of the movie.
Old 11-15-10, 07:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cgray
I really hope you meant to write, "Eh, [I own most/all of those,] so I won't be getting any of those."

Really, no interest in Amarcord? Sweet Smell of Success? La Double Vie?

Those are all worth at least a rental. Sweet Smell is one of my favorite films.
I have or have seen almost all of those on DVD, except Sweet Smell of Success, which, based on the comments here, I will pick up during the next B&N Criterion sale.
Old 11-15-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
to Sweet Smell of Success and I don't know if you were joking or not because the cover art was posted prior to your post
No, I didn't know that the art was going to be used as the cover when I made the post. I friend just emailed the picture earlier & then I clicked on this thread & it was the first I heard of the new announcements. So thats awesome that it is the cover art

As for those who have never seen the SSoS, just blind buy it if you like good old-fashioned pulpy-noir dialogue. It has some of the best ever. I saw the movie at a film festival years ago and fell in love with it. Its one of those great New York-journalist-noir movies that they just don't make anymore and also Tony Curtis' best role IMO.
Old 11-15-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I have or have seen almost all of those on DVD, except Sweet Smell of Success, which, based on the comments here, I will pick up during the next B&N Criterion sale.
Let's hope there is another sale! I'm just hoping my store restocks some titles this week.
Old 11-15-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

As for those who have never seen the SSoS, just blind buy it if you like good old-fashioned pulpy-noir dialogue.
Well, I'm on board.
Old 11-15-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for those who have never seen the SSoS, just blind buy it if you like good old-fashioned pulpy-noir dialogue.
Just reading the synopsis on the Criterion site, that was the impression I got. Glad to know my guess was correct
Old 11-15-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thrilled The Royal Tenenbaums wasn't announced
as it provides another chance that the far superior Rushmore or Life Aquatic come out first
Old 11-15-10, 10:42 PM

The Royal Tenenbaums is most certainly better than Life Aquatic, sir... I myself was disappointed. That movie always gets me laid.
Old 11-15-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Let's hope there is another sale! I'm just hoping my store restocks some titles this week.
Do any of the B&N stores ever restock between the beginning and end of the sale? From my experience at the stores around here, I haven't seen any new stock put out during the previous sales. They always restock right after it ends.
Old 11-16-10, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As for those who have never seen the SSoS, just blind buy it if you like good old-fashioned pulpy-noir dialogue. It has some of the best ever.
+100 Great film. Dark but in a Billy Wilder kind of way.

If Criterion grabbed that MGM title maybe there is hope to see "Elmer Gantry" on BD?
Old 11-16-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SYNOPSIS: British director Andrea Arnold won the Cannes Jury Prize for the searing and invigorating Fish Tank, about a fifteen-year-old girl, Mia (electrifying newcomer Katie Jarvis), who lives with her mother and sister in the depressed housing projects of Essex. Mia’s adolescent conflicts and emerging sexuality reach boiling points when her mother’s new boyfriend (a lethally attractive Michael Fassbender) enters the picture. In her young career, Arnold has already proven herself to be a master of social realism (evoking the work of Mike Leigh and Ken Loach), investing her sympathetic portraits of dead-end lives with a poetic, earthy sensibility all her own. Fish Tank heralds the official arrival of a major new filmmaker.

Disc Features

* New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Andrea Arnold, director of photography Robbie Ryan, and editor Nicolas Chaudeurge (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* All three of Arnold’s short films: Milk (1998), Dog (2001), and the Oscar-winning Wasp (2003)
* New video interview with actor Kierston Wareing
* Interview with actor Michael Fassbender from 2009
* Audition footage
* Stills gallery by on-set photographer Holly Horner
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie

SYNOPSIS: In Alexander Mackendrick’s swift, cynical Sweet Smell of Success, Burt Lancaster stars as barbaric Broadway gossip columnist J. J. Hunsecker, and Tony Curtis as Sidney Falco, the unprincipled press agent he ropes into smearing the up-and-coming jazz musician romancing his beloved sister. Featuring deliciously unsavory dialogue in an acid, brilliantly structured script by Clifford Odets and Ernest Lehman and noirish neon cityscapes from Oscar-winning cinematographer James Wong Howe, Sweet Smell of Success is a cracklingly cruel dispatch from the kill-or-be-killed wilds of 1950s Manhattan.

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New audio commentary by film scholar James Naremore
* Mackendrick: The Man Who Walked Away, a 1986 documentary featuring interviews with director Alexander Mackendrick, actor Burt Lancaster, producer James Hill, and more
* James Wong Howe: Cinematographer, a 1973 documentary about the Oscar-winning director of photography, featuring lighting tutorials with Howe
* New video interview with film critic and historian Neil Gabler (Winchell: Gossip, Power and the Culture of Celebrity) about legendary columnist Walter Winchell, inspiration for the character J. J. Hunsecker
* New video interview with filmmaker James Mangold about Mackendrick, his instructor and mentor
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins, two short stories by Ernest Lehman featuring the characters from the film, notes about the film by Lehman, and an excerpt from Mackendrick’s book On Film-making

SYNOPSIS: This lush, Technicolor tragic romance from Luchino Visconti stars Alida Valli as a nineteenth-century Italian countess who, amid the Austrian occupation of her country, puts her marriage and political principles on the line by engaging in a torrid affair with a dashing Austrian lieutenant, played by Farley Granger. Gilded with fearless performances, ornate costumes and sets, and a rich classical soundtrack, Visconti’s operatic melodrama is an extraordinary evocation of reckless emotions and deranged lust from one of the cinema’s great sensualists.

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, created in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna and Martin Scorsese’s Film Foundation, supervised by director of photography Giuseppe Rotunno (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* The Making of “Senso,” a new documentary featuring Rotunno, assistant director Francesco Rosi, costume designer Piero Tosi, and Caterina D’Amico, daughter of screenwriter Suso Cecchi D’Amico and author of Life and Work of Luchino Visconti
* Viva VERDI, a new documentary on Visconti, Senso, and opera featuring Italian film scholar Peter Brunette, Italian historian Stefano Albertini, and author Wayne Koestenbaum
* The Wanton Countess, the rarely seen English-language version of the film
* Visual essay by film scholar Peter Cowie
* Man of Three Worlds: Luchino Visconti, a 1966 BBC special exploring Visconti’s parallel masteries of cinema, theater, and opera direction
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by filmmaker and author Mark Rappaport and an excerpt from actor Farley Granger’s autobiography, Include Me Out

SYNOPSIS: Krzysztof Kieślowski’s international breakthrough remains one of his most beloved films, a ravishing, mysterious rumination on identity, love, and human intuition. Irène Jacob is incandescent as both Weronika, a Polish choir soprano, and her double, Véronique, a French music teacher. Though unknown to each other, the two women share an enigmatic, emotional bond, which Kieślowski details in gorgeous reflections, colors, and movements. Aided by Slawomir Idziak’s shimmering cinematography and Zbigniew Preisner’s haunting, operatic score, Kieślowski creates one of cinema’s most purely metaphysical works. The Double Life of Véronique is an unforgettable symphony of feeling.

* Restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary by Annette Insdorf, author of Double Lives, Second Chances: The Cinema of Krzysztof Kieślowski
* Three short documentary films by Kieślowski: Factory (1970), Hospital (1976), and Railway Station (1980)
* The Musicians (1958), a short film by Kieślowski’s teacher Kazimierz Karabasz
* Kieślowski’s Dialogue (1991), a documentary featuring a candid interview with Kieślowski and rare behind-the-scenes footage from the set of The Double Life of Véronique
* 1966-1988: Kieślowski, Polish Filmmaker, a 2005 documentary tracing the filmmaker’s work in Poland, from his days as a student through The Double Life of Véronique
* A 2005 interview with actress Irène Jacob
* New video interviews with cinematographer Slawomir Idziak and composer Zbigniew Preisner
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Jonathan Romney, Slavoj Zizek, and Peter Cowie, and a selection from Kieślowski on Kieślowski (Note: Blu-ray booklet includes only Romney essay and Kieślowski on Kieślowski reprint)

SYNOPSIS: In this carnivalesque portrait of provincial Italy during the Fascist period, Federico Fellini’s most personal film satirizes his youth and turns daily life into a circus of social rituals, adolescent desires, male fantasies, and political subterfuge, all set to Nina Rota’s classic, nostalgia-tinged score. The Academy Award–winning Amarcord remains one of cinema’s enduring treasures.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:

* All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Audio commentary by film scholars Peter Brunette and Frank Burke
* American release trailer
* Deleted scene
* Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
* New 45-minute documentary, Fellini’s Homecoming, on the complicated relationship between the celebrated director, his hometown, and his past
* Video interview with star Magali Noël
* Fellini’s drawings of characters in the film
* “Felliniana,” a presentation of ephemera devoted to Amarcord from the collection of Don Young
* Audio interviews with Fellini, his friends, and family by Gideon Bachmann
* New restoration demonstration
* PLUS: A book featuring a new essay by scholar Sam Rohdie, author of Fellini Lexicon, and the full text of Fellini’s 1967 essay, “My Rimini"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.