Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Coral
By "effort", I actually mean cost.
I do, too. The added cost to include a UHD in a 4K-mastered project (especially if they don't perform a separate HDR timing pass) is pretty negligible. It would cost very little more than adding a DVD which they previously did without changing their MSRP. Adding a UHD could allow them to justify maintaining their price-point as the value proposition in the marketplace keeps pushing them out.

It may not increase their profitability on a sale-by-sale basis, but it would maintain/boost their brand identity as an unsurpassed top-of-the-line product that's worth the asking price. And people who hesitate to buy Criterion discs today because of an anticipation of future UHD releases would be able to jump back in with confidence.
Old 02-15-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

There would also be licensing issues due to UHD's being region free and CC discs being region A locked.
Old 02-15-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I have a feeling Criterion would be a little gun shy about introducing combo packs again after all the crap they got for DVD/BD combos. I don't see them going down the road of HDR (no industry standards, too controversial on older films), and a large percentage of their BD catalog is only 2k sourced. In fact, I believe any in-house scans they do are still done at 2k. There were rumors that the Monterrey Pop re-release might be UHD, but I don't know if those rumors were based on anything more than speculation. All that said, I don't think it's impossible they'll go UHD at some point, I just wouldn't hold my breath.

Is any third party label doing UHD at this point? It's just the major studios, is it not?
Old 02-15-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There would also be licensing issues due to UHD's being region free and CC discs being region A locked.
Very good point.
Old 02-15-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I have a feeling Criterion would be a little gun shy about introducing combo packs again after all the crap they got for DVD/BD combos.
Well, they got a lot of crap for digipacks, too, and they just re-introduced those.
Old 02-15-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

And if they do go UHD at any point I would not be surprised if they start releasing them through FilmStruck first to test the waters. I would assume that a streaming version in 4K is much cheaper than mass producing a UHD disc.
Old 02-15-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Well, they got a lot of crap for digipacks, too, and they just re-introduced those.
When did they ever stop digi-packs? And while individuals may or may not like digi-packs, I can't imagine how people feel about them really affects Criterion's bottom line in any substantial way. Combo packs, on the other hand, were introduced because it made all the financial sense in the world to do so and they still ceased production on them because large portions of their customer base (not just online enthusiasts) made it clear combo-packs were a problem.
Old 02-15-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Do we have any idea how Criterion sales number are divided based on format? Because that could give us some indication of what their decision on UHD-BD might be.

If the sales were something like 70% DVD and 30% BD, then that would make Criterion run screaming in the other direction of UHD.

Of course, even if it were the other way around - it doesn't necessarily mean a significant number of those Criterion BD customers would switch to yet another new format. It gets to a point where it looks great as it is.
Old 02-15-18, 01:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have no interest in purchasing Criterion UHD’s. I think their current release format is where they should stay. And considering their prices now, I’d hate to see what a Criterion UHD would be priced at.
Old 02-15-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
And considering their prices now, I’d hate to see what a Criterion UHD would be priced at.
You can say that again.
Criterions go for about $40 in Canada - which is unbelievable for a single movie in 2018. I'd imagine the UHD-BD version would be $50.
Old 02-15-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can say that again.
Criterions go for about $40 in Canada - which is unbelievable for a single movie in 2018. I'd imagine the UHD-BD version would be $50.
So $25 during one of the 50% sales. Which seems pretty in like with UHD titles form other companies that I have seen advertised.
Old 02-15-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Criterion 100 years of Olympic Films is $200 now at Amazon. It's essentially the same price as the Flash Sale from Criterion that just ended.
Old 02-15-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd imagine the UHD-BD version would be $50.
I'd rather pay $50 for a UHD now than $40 for a BD now plus $50 for the UHD later.
Old 02-15-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
So $25 during one of the 50% sales. Which seems pretty in like with UHD titles form other companies that I have seen advertised.
Shipping is $10 base price + $2.95 per additional title... and then have to contend with duties - which will wind up negating the deal anyway.

In any case, most people shop at BestBuy, Amazon.ca, or Walmart - so that's really the price that matters.

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I'd rather pay $50 for a UHD now than $40 for a BD now plus $50 for the UHD later.
Well, yeah... if those are your only two options - sure.
But either way it's ridiculous in this day.
Old 02-15-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's not get too bent out of shape over a price that we all just made up.

I don't think Criterion is going UHD anytime soon, but for the sake of context, remember that when they introduced blu-ray, Criterion did not raise prices. $40 has been their price point for 20 years.
Old 02-15-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Shipping is $10 base price + $2.95 per additional title... and then have to contend with duties - which will wind up negating the deal anyway.

In any case, most people shop at BestBuy, Amazon.ca, or Walmart - so that's really the price that matters.

Well, yeah... if those are your only two options - sure.
But either way it's ridiculous in this day.
Yes, and unfortunately amazon.ca prices don't drop during other sales, as typically happens to amazon.com prices.
Old 02-15-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to happily pay $50 in late '80's USD for a Criterion LD, so $40 in 2018 Canadian for a BD still feels like I'm stealing from them.

/old_man
Old 02-15-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They will do UHD. I believe they have already responded to a Criterion forum member that it is a ways off. They do have a nice number of releases already scanned in 4K.

HDR will most likely only be used if intended by a director, as is their release policy of corresponding with each director whenever possible. They most likely won't be tacking HDR onto a film by Kurosawa or Kubrick and whatnot ....
Old 02-15-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They will do UHD. I believe they have already responded to a Criterion forum member that it is a ways off.
Thanks for the details!
Old 02-15-18, 04:40 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New conversation between author Hervé Dumont (Frank Borzage: The Life and Films of a Hollywood Romantic) and film historian Peter Cowie
PLUS: An essay by critic Philip Kemp

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
New 2K digital transfer, approved by director Aki Kaurismäki, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with actor Sherwan Haji
Footage from the 2017 Berlin Film Festival press conference for the film, featuring Kaurismäki and the film’s actors
Aki and Peter, a new video essay by Daniel Raim about the friendship between Kaurismäki and film critic Peter von Bagh, to whom the film is dedicated
Music videos
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Girish Shambu

2K digital master, approved by director Cristian Mungiu, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with Mungiu
Press conference from the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, featuring Mungiu and actors Adrian Titieni, Maria Drăguș, Mălina Manovici, and Rareș Andrici
Deleted scenes
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by film critic Bilge Ebiri

2K digital transfer, approved by director Cristian Mungiu, with 2.0 surround DTS‑HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New interview with Mungiu
The Making of “Beyond the Hills,” a documentary from 2013, produced by Mungiu
Press conference from the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, featuring Mungiu and actors Cosmina Stratan, Cristina Flutur, Valeriu Andriuţă, and Dana Tapalagă
Deleted scenes
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by film scholar Doru Pop

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

New, restored 4K digital transfer (Blu-ray) and restored high-definition digital transfer (DVD) of the director’s cut, both supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Two optional English narrations, including one by actor Roy Scheider
Audio commentary from 2008 featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
Interviews from 2007 and 2008 with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
Interviews from 2008 with Mishima biographer John Nathan and friend Donald Richie
Audio interview from 2008 with coscreenwriter Chieko Schrader
Interview excerpt from 1966 featuring Mishima talking about writing
The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute documentary from 1985 about the author
Trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kevin Jackson, a piece on the film’s censorship in Japan, and photographs of Ishioka’s sets

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 1991 featuring director John Schlesinger and producer Jerome Hellman
New selected-scene commentary by cinematographer Adam Holender
The Crowd Around the Cowboy, a 1969 short film made on location for Midnight Cowboy
Waldo Salt: A Screenwriter’s Journey, an Academy Award–nominated documentary from 1990 by Eugene Corr and Robert Hillmann
Two short 2004 documentaries on the making and release of Midnight Cowboy
Interview with actor Jon Voight on The David Frost Show from 1970
Interview from 2000 with Schlesinger for BAFTA Los Angeles
Excerpts from the 2002 BAFTA LA Tribute to Schlesinger, featuring Voight and actor Dustin Hoffman
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by critic Mark Harris

New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Interview from 2005 with film scholar Donald Richie
“Un metteur en ordre: Robert Bresson,” a 1966 French television program about the film, featuring Bresson, filmmakers Jean-Luc Godard and Louis Malle, and members of Balthazar’s cast and crew
Original theatrical trailer
Plus: An essay by film scholar James Quandt
Old 02-15-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

love that Midnight Cowboy cover.
Old 02-15-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Everybody's Talkin' at Me...about that Midnight Cowboy release!
Old 02-15-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They will do UHD. I believe they have already responded to a Criterion forum member that it is a ways off. They do have a nice number of releases already scanned in 4K.
I have to believe it's a long ways off, if they ever do it at all.

There are new day and date titles by major studios (some with Oscar nods too) that aren't even getting a UHD release.
Old 02-15-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I was expecting to see 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days on that list.
Old 02-15-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
love that Midnight Cowboy cover.
Me too! I love this film!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.