Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Are the B&N sales actually dead? Or are people just mad they won't stack coupons anymore?
Old 02-04-18, 12:26 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Are the B&N sales actually dead? Or are people just mad they won't stack coupons anymore?
The latter.
Old 02-04-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Wonder if these low new release Criterion prices at WM will be a new trend. Which would be great given the B&N "sale" is pretty much dead for Criterions and the Criterion site sales are very infrequent.
I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing lower Criterion prices across the board. In a time where more people are streaming and reducing their movie collections (even cinephiles), and studios are having a tougher time selling their movies - I have to believe Criterion's having more problems trying to sell their stuff at their premium prices.

It's probably the reason Criterion seems to be releasing a lot more mainstream titles - which is showing that studios are a lot more open to licensing their titles because physical media isn't the revenue generator it used to be.

At Walmart Canada, they're selling Criterion DVDs/BDs ranging from $40-$50.
Who the hell would spend that much on a single movie nowadays?

Last edited by Coral; 02-05-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, the only reason to seek them out at B&N was the chance of stacking coupons. But many others were able to make it work far longer than people like me because their local stores accepted coupons for Criterion long after my local store shut them off completely. Such that I ended up purchasing far more at Costco during their run of carrying Criterion than the occasional B&N online coupon that would still work on them.
Old 02-05-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing lower Criterion prices across the board. In a time where more people are streaming and reducing their movie collections (even cinephiles), and studios are having a tougher time selling their movies - I have to believe Criterion's having more problems trying to sell their stuff at their premium prices.
I agree, but I do think it's important to point out that these still seem to be "new release" sale prices. If everything goes back up to the normal Criterion level, there will still be a need to find the occasional Criterion 50% site sale or hope of a coupon to slip through at B&N during their 50% sale.
Old 02-05-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

At Walmart Canada, they're selling Criterion DVDs/BDs ranging from $40-$50.
Who the hell would spend that much on a single movie nowadays?
Nowadays, fugedabouddit. But back in the early-'90s, $40-$50 was pretty standard for a laserdisc. The most I ever spent on an LD was $225 at Sam's for the manager's copy of the Criterion Hard Boiled. Crazy, when I think back on that waste of money (much as I love the film).
Old 02-05-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
The most I ever spent on an LD was $225 at Sam's for the manager's copy of the Criterion Hard Boiled. Crazy, when I think back on that waste of money (much as I love the film).
Ouch. Hard Boiled
Old 02-05-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Speaking of sales, is the DDD Summer Sale still a thing? I still have shit from that ten years ago that I haven’t gotten around to.
Old 02-05-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Sheesh. At the time I was ecstatic to get my hands on it (the manager sold me her copy), but I wouldn't dream of spending that much on a movie now.
I still have all of my LDs; about 200. You never know when LD will make a comeback, like vinyl.
Actually, I wouldn't mind being rid of them, but there are still a few films in my LD collection that are not on DVD/BD (or are out of print), and I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling them, or go through the guilt of throwing them into the garbage.
Old 02-05-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Adjust that shit for inflation if you wanna feel worse!
Old 02-05-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$225 for a movie? Yikes.
Even at the height of DVDs popularity, I couldn't bring myself to spend even $50 on a single movie.

Today the most I'm willing to spend on a movie (BD only) is around the $5 range. I flinched a few times on BDs priced at $10, but snapped out of it and walked away.
Old 02-05-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The B&N sale is pointless anymore if you are looking for the best deal. The sale exists to move inventory that sits unsold all year, as can be said for most of BN's media which sells at MSRP.

People blame BN but I heard from a source that is was Criterion that asked them to discontinue the coupons, specifically because they don't want their titles priced $12-$15. Your mileage may vary in getting overrides done.

Without the coupons you are better off waiting for Criterion's website flash sale, as those $50 gift certificates they give you add up quick.
Old 02-05-18, 10:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Today the most I'm willing to spend on a movie (BD only) is around the $5 range. I flinched a few times on BDs priced at $10, but snapped out of it and walked away.
thsts some damn fine control. Wish I had that. I swear they’re ruining me somehow...
Old 02-05-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
thsts some damn fine control. Wish I had that. I swear they’re ruining me somehow...
The trick is to remind myself that the price will probably drop further, I wouldn't get around to watching it for a while, and I don't want to fall into the trap of collecting again.

Of course, there are around 10 titles I would buy on BD in one order if the price was $5 each. I can live with that.
Old 02-06-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Adjust that shit for inflation if you wanna feel worse!
$341. Thanks, I do feel worse.
New BD for $5? Where are you buying?
Old 02-06-18, 10:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

The trick is to remind myself that the price will probably drop further, I wouldn't get around to watching it for a while, and I don't want to fall into the trap of collecting again.

Of course, there are around 10 titles I would buy on BD in one order if the price was $5 each. I can live with that.
Well, of course, that’s rational thinking. Me on the other hand, need them now and hardly ever watch them for a long while if ever. It’s terrible...
Old 02-06-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$341. Thanks, I do feel worse.

New BD for $5? Where are you buying?
For new BDs, it's not often - but I'll come across them once in a while in discount bins at Walmart and Giant Tiger. There are a lot of crappy movie in those bins (even popular titles that I find crappy), but sometimes they'll have a more artsy film I really like that no one gives a shit about (ie. The Master).

Other times I buy used BDs. But overall, it's not often I can buy at that price... but it's still my limit. If I can't get it for that price (or very close), then I won't bite. I don't need it bad enough to make exceptions.
Old 02-06-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, of course, that’s rational thinking. Me on the other hand, need them now and hardly ever watch them for a long while if ever. It’s terrible...
Just looked at your collection... holy shit.

I guess you didn't feel bad enough for amassing a big DVD collection in the past to turn you off from amassing a big BD collection. I got very picky with BD (with price and selection) early on, and then I realized that there were some titles I probably shouldn't have bought and still thought I paid too much... so I just tightened the screws further and got even pickier.
Old 02-07-18, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

For new BDs, it's not often - but I'll come across them once in a while in discount bins at Walmart and Giant Tiger. There are a lot of crappy movie in those bins (even popular titles that I find crappy), but sometimes they'll have a more artsy film I really like that no one gives a shit about (ie. The Master).

Other times I buy used BDs. But overall, it's not often I can buy at that price... but it's still my limit. If I can't get it for that price (or very close), then I won't bite. I don't need it bad enough to make exceptions.
So in other words, you never buy Criterions even though you're posting in a Criterion thread
Old 02-07-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
So in other words, you never buy Criterions even though you're posting in a Criterion thread
Yea, not anymore at the current prices.
I have some in my collection, but have sold some of them.

I still find it interesting to see what titles Criterion is releasing.
Old 02-07-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, not anymore at the current prices.
I have some in my collection, but have sold some of them.

I still find it interesting to see what titles Criterion is releasing.
I'm baffled by people who are Criterion completists, who will buy anything released by Criterion. It's like a cult. I have a few Criterions, but only because I wanted the film and was willing to pay $20+.
Very few films I want are still being released on DVD or BD, and yet there are still so many great unreleased films.
Old 02-07-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Is there really that many Criterion completists though? Even in the threads of blu-ray.com I don't see people that crazy. I usually average one per monthly announcement. Once in awhile 2.
Old 02-07-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, of course, that’s rational thinking. Me on the other hand, need them now....It’s terrible...
We noticed.
Old 02-07-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Is there really that many Criterion completists though? Even in the threads of blu-ray.com I don't see people that crazy. I usually average one per monthly announcement. Once in awhile 2.
I don't know how widespread it is, but I have seen people here say they would buy films - unseen by them - for no other reason than that Criterion released them. As if Criterion were the arbiter of all that is good.
Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I've gotten to the point that I only buy films I have seen and like.
Old 02-08-18, 09:59 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I don't know how widespread it is, but I have seen people here say they would buy films - unseen by them - for no other reason than that Criterion released them. As if Criterion were the arbiter of all that is good.
Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I've gotten to the point that I only buy films I have seen and like.
I kind of do that. I went crazy in the early days of the B&N sales because they were so cheap with coupons. Unfortunately, it was buying a lot on DVD. Eventually, I converted to Blu around the time of Zatoichi... City Lights. So around 2013. I have a bit over 500 Criterions. I don't buy ALL the new releases. But there a lot of upcoming ones I'd like.

Last edited by dex14; 02-09-18 at 10:07 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.