HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Old 03-07-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I suppose it was too much to hope that they could form an alliance with MOC for legal reasons. That'd be mind-blowing.
Old 03-07-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

I'm surprised that Criterion didn't get their release of Dr Strangelove completed in time for this U.K. announcement.
Old 03-16-16, 06:41 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

June 2016 Releases:

Le Amiche - June 7

La Chienne - June 14

Here Comes Mr. Jordan - June 14

Fantastic Planet - June 21

Clouds of Sils Maria - June 28

Dr. Strangelove - June 28
Old 03-17-16, 08:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sb5 View Post
I'll definitely be grabbing all three of these at some point.
Old 03-17-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excited to see Fantastic Planet. The Collection needs more animation.
Old 03-17-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really like the new artwork for Strangelove.
Old 03-17-16, 11:20 AM

..can't wait for criterion to release "easy rider" on blu-ray
Old 03-17-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AMERICAN View Post
..can't wait for criterion to release "easy rider" on blu-ray
Well, you can wait a few months for that and buy it for around $30. Or, for just twice that price, and if you really "can't wait", you can get the America Lost & Found box-set right now which has Easy Rider and 6 other great movies.
Old 03-17-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very excited about Fantastic Planet. I wanted to purchase it for a recent order at Amazon UK, but it was out of stock. I guess that turned out to be a lucky break for me.
Old 03-17-16, 12:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Well, you can wait a few months for that and buy it for around $30. Or, for just twice that price, and if you really "can't wait", you can get the America Lost & Found box-set right now which has Easy Rider and 6 other great movies.
and is quite simply a marvelous box set...
Old 03-17-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I emailed Criterion to point out they used the wrong aircraft in the cover art for "Dr. Strangelove." The original art had a KC-135 refueling tanker instead of a B-52 bomber.

Jon Mulvaney emailed me that they've corrected the cover art. He also sent me a gift certificate. Here's the corrected cover art, which is now on the Criterion website:

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 03-17-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-17-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome!
Old 03-17-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I emailed Criterion to point out they used the wrong aircraft in the cover art for "Dr. Strangelove." The original art had a KC-135 refueling tanker instead of a B-52 bomber.
Nerd!
Old 03-28-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rumor has it that the "Before" trilogy will be released on BD by the end of the year. Boyhood is also being worked on by Criterion.
Old 03-28-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if they will ever re-release this on Blu. the dvd set is now OOP.

Old 03-28-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jon Mulvaney emailed me that they've corrected the cover art. He also sent me a gift certificate. Here's the corrected cover art, which is now on the Criterion website:

Neat!
Old 03-29-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great catch!
Old 03-29-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I wonder if they will ever re-release this on Blu. the dvd set is now OOP.

Great set with fascinating films. I'd also like to see an upgrade for The Human Condition.
Old 03-29-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Nerd!
I really am, but at least this time it literally paid off!
Old 03-29-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I'd also like to see an upgrade for The Human Condition.

Speaking of Kobayashi we also need an upgrade of Samurai Rebellion.
Old 03-29-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I'd also like to see an upgrade for The Human Condition.
Arrow UK is releasing it May 30th. No word yet on whether there will be a Region A set.
Old 04-18-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's July's titles:

823: The In-Laws

Peter Falk and Alan Arkin make for a hilarious dream team in this beloved American sidesplitter. Directed by Arthur Hiller from an ingenious script by Andrew Bergman, The In-Laws may at first seem like a generic meet-the-parents comedy, as Arkin’s mild-mannered dentist suspiciously eyes Falk’s volatile mystery man, whose son is engaged to his daughter. But soon, through a series of events too serpentine and surprising to spoil, the two men are brought together by a dangerous mission that takes them from suburban New Jersey to Honduras. Fueled by elaborate stunt work and the laconic, naturalistic charms of its two stars, The In-Laws deserves its status as a madcap classic—and has continued to draw ardent fans in the years since its release.

Disc Features
-New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Audio commentary from 2003 featuring director Arthur Hiller, actors Alan Arkin and Peter Falk, and writer Andrew Bergman
-New interview with Arkin
-In Support of “The In-Laws,” a new interview program featuring actors Ed Begley Jr., Nancy Dussault, James Hong, and David Paymer
-Trailer
-PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by comedy writer Stephen Winer and a 2011 recollection of the making of the film by Hiller

824: Muriel, or The Time Of Return

Alain Resnais’s Muriel, or The Time of Return, the director’s follow-up to Last Year at Marienbad, is as radical a reflection on the nature of time and memory as its predecessor. The always luminous Delphine Seyrig stars as an antique shop owner and widow in Boulogne-sur-Mer, whose past comes back to haunt her when a former lover reenters her life. Meanwhile, her stepson is tormented by his own ghosts, related to his service in France’s recently ended war in Algeria. Featuring a multilayered script by Jean Cayrol, and inventively edited to evoke its middle-class characters’ political and personal realities, the fragmented, emotionally powerful Muriel reminds viewers that the past is always present.

Disc Features
-New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Excerpt from the 1980 documentary Une approche d’Alain Resnais, révolutionnaire discret
-Excerpt from a 1969 interview with actor Delphine Seyrig
-Interview with composer Hans Werner Henze from 1963
-New interview with film scholar François Thomas, author of L’atelier d’Alain Resnais
-Trailer
-New English subtitle translation
-PLUS: An essay by film scholar James Quandt

825: A Touch Of Zen

“Visionary” barely begins to describe this masterpiece of Chinese cinema and martial arts moviemaking. A Touch of Zen by King Hu depicts the journey of Yang (Hsu Feng), a fugitive noblewoman who seeks refuge in a remote, and allegedly haunted, village. The sanctuary she finds with a shy scholar and two aides in disguise is shattered when a nefarious swordsman uncovers her identity, pitting the four against legions of blade-wielding opponents. At once a wuxia film, the tale of a spiritual quest, and a study in human nature, A Touch of Zen is an unparalleled work in Hu’s formidable career and an epic of the highest order, characterized by breathtaking action choreography, stunning widescreen landscapes, and innovative editing.

Disc Features
-New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
-Documentary from 2012 about director King Hu
-New interviews with actors Hsu Feng and Shih Chun
-New interview with filmmaker Ang Lee
-New interview with film scholar Tony Rayns
-Trailer
-New English subtitle translation
-PLUS: An essay by film scholar David Bordwell and notes by Hu from a 1975 Cannes Film Festival press kit

826: The New World

This singular vision of early seventeenth-century America from Terrence Malick is a work of astounding elemental beauty, a poetic meditation on nature, violence, love, and civilization. It reimagines the apocryphal story of the meeting of British explorer John Smith (Colin Farrell) and Powhatan native Pocahontas (Q’orianka Kilcher, in a revelatory performance) as a romantic idyll between spiritual equals, then follows Pocahontas through her marriage to John Rolfe (Christian Bale) and her life in England. With art director Jack Fisk’s raw re-creation of the Jamestown colony, Emmanuel Lubezki’s marvelous, naturally lit cinematography, and James Horner’s soaring musical score, The New World is a film of uncommon power and technical splendor, one that shows Malick at the height of his visual and philosophical powers..

Director-Approved 3-Disc Special Edition Features
-New 4K digital restoration of the 172-minute extended cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and director Terrence Malick and featuring material not released in theaters, with both theatrical and near-field 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray
-High-definition digital transfers of the 150-minute first cut and the 135-minute theatrical cut of the film, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-rays
-New interviews with actors Colin Farrel and Q’orianka Kilcher
-New program about the making of the film, featuring interviews with producer Sarah Green, production designer Jack Fisk, and costume designer Jacqueline West
-Making “The New World,” a documentary shot during the production of the film in 2004, directed and edited by Austin Jack Lynch
-New program about the process of cutting The New World and its various versions, featuring interviews with editors Hank Corwin, Saar Klein, and Mark Yoshikawa
-Trailers
-PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar Tom Gunning, a 2006 interview with Lubezki from American Cinematographer, and a selection of materials that inspired the production

In addition, both Carnival Of Souls and Night & Fog are getting Blu-Ray upgrades.

Old 04-18-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
Old 04-18-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm so up for The In Laws!
Old 04-18-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post

826: The New World

This singular vision of early seventeenth-century America from Terrence Malick is a work of astounding elemental beauty, a poetic meditation on nature, violence, love, and civilization. It reimagines the apocryphal story of the meeting of British explorer John Smith (Colin Farrell) and Powhatan native Pocahontas (Q’orianka Kilcher, in a revelatory performance) as a romantic idyll between spiritual equals, then follows Pocahontas through her marriage to John Rolfe (Christian Bale) and her life in England. With art director Jack Fisk’s raw re-creation of the Jamestown colony, Emmanuel Lubezki’s marvelous, naturally lit cinematography, and James Horner’s soaring musical score, The New World is a film of uncommon power and technical splendor, one that shows Malick at the height of his visual and philosophical powers..

Director-Approved 3-Disc Special Edition Features
-New 4K digital restoration of the 172-minute extended cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and director Terrence Malick and featuring material not released in theaters, with both theatrical and near-field 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray
-High-definition digital transfers of the 150-minute first cut and the 135-minute theatrical cut of the film, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-rays
-New interviews with actors Colin Farrel and Q’orianka Kilcher
-New program about the making of the film, featuring interviews with producer Sarah Green, production designer Jack Fisk, and costume designer Jacqueline West
-Making “The New World,” a documentary shot during the production of the film in 2004, directed and edited by Austin Jack Lynch
-New program about the process of cutting The New World and its various versions, featuring interviews with editors Hank Corwin, Saar Klein, and Mark Yoshikawa
-Trailers
-PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar Tom Gunning, a 2006 interview with Lubezki from American Cinematographer, and a selection of materials that inspired the production
[/IMG]

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

So glad they are including all cuts of the film, enabling me to get rid of my extended blu ray AND Theatrical Cut dvd. Also LOVE that cover art.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.