Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by inri222

The Sony Blu is 4K.
Nah? I thought the Steelbook version is identical to the Digibook (Disc wise) which was released like back in 2010 or so. 4K masters weren't prevalent then.
Old 02-26-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Nah?
Yah.

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I thought the Steelbook version is identical to the Digibook (Disc wise) which was released like back in 2010 or so. 4K masters weren't prevalent then.
It's the same master, from a 4K transfer. They weren't prevalent, but they existed, here and there.
Old 02-26-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Mixed feelings on a Dr. Strangelove release. It's one of my absolute favorite movies, so I'm always glad to see it get some love. I just don't know how much more Criterion could contribute to it though.

I have probably purchased Strangelove more times than any other title when you take DVD and Blu-ray into account. So I'll probably end up purchasing it at some point regardless. I'm weak that way.
Old 02-26-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Yah.

It's the same master, from a 4K transfer. They weren't prevalent, but they existed, here and there.
This
Old 02-26-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The Sony Blu is 4K.
Ah. I was under the impression that the blu used the same master at the 40th anniversary dvd.

That being the case, I really don't know why Criterion would bother with this, unless, like I said, they do something different with the aspect ratio. Even then...
Old 02-26-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That being the case, I really don't know why Criterion would bother with this, unless, like I said, they do something different with the aspect ratio.
All of the previous Criterion releases of the film have featured an alternating aspect ratio (not multiple versions of the film, like On the Waterfront, but a changing ratio within a single version of the film, like the Blu-ray of The Dark Knight). If they were to do a similar release on Blu-ray, they'd probably have to use a different source (a newer 4K scan, presumably).
Old 02-26-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
All of the previous Criterion releases of the film have featured an alternating aspect ratio (not multiple versions of the film, like On the Waterfront, but a changing ratio within a single version of the film, like the Blu-ray of The Dark Knight). If they were to do a similar release on Blu-ray, they'd probably have to use a different source (a newer 4K scan, presumably).
In most likelihood, Criterion would just license Sony's master. I doubt they'd do their own new transfer just for this, much less would Sony let them do it.

The aspect ratio fluctuations on the Criterion Laserdisc were a consequence of Kubrick instructing them to lift all the soft mattes to expose the entire photographed image. The problem was that Kubrick shot the film with hard mattes in the camera during some scenes. So the aspect ratio on the LD flipped back and forth from 4:3 to about 1.66:1. He was apparently not bothered by that.

The movie never played that way in theaters. At a retrospective of his films prior to his death, Kubrick asked that most of them be projected at a constant 1.66:1.

At the time Criterion did the Laserdisc, Kubrick was, unfortunately, a letterboxing hater who preferred his TV screen to be filled. This was not indicative of the aspect ratios he actually composed his movies for. Sadly, he died before 16:9 HDTVs were widely prevalent, so we'll never know when or if he would have eventually changed his mind on the subject.

Originally Posted by clckworang
Mixed feelings on a Dr. Strangelove release. It's one of my absolute favorite movies, so I'm always glad to see it get some love. I just don't know how much more Criterion could contribute to it though.
The first pressing of Criterion's Laserdisc included a copy of an early script draft (authored as frame-by-frame still images) that was bookended with scenes involving aliens visiting a post-apocalyptic Earth to pass judgment on humanity's stupidity for destroying itself. Kubrick apparently did not authorize the release of that script (he was opposed to viewers seeing any behind-the-scenes content from his movies) and demanded that Criterion recall the discs and issue a second printing without the script. When Laserdiscs still had a collectors' market, first pressing copies were pretty valuable.

I'd like to see Criterion finally release that script, along with other material that Kubrick vetoed. Whether they'd actually do so, or would instead honor his original instructions, is unknown.
Old 02-27-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Per the blu-ray.com review of Dr Strangelove, certain scenes still have scratches and print marks, and the blu was done in 2009. Maybe they could try to remove those.

Also the blu has Dolby True HD 5.1 and a lossy mono. I'm sure Criterion would do a full restored lossless mono & maybe a dts ma 5.1 mix

Also, maybe Criterion found footage of the infamous Pie scene that was cut last minute

Last edited by Rypro 525; 02-27-16 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The first pressing of Criterion's Laserdisc included a copy of an early script draft (authored as frame-by-frame still images) that was bookended with scenes involving aliens visiting a post-apocalyptic Earth to pass judgment on humanity's stupidity for destroying itself.
Wow, I'd like to see/read that.
Old 02-27-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I usually upgrade to a new Criterion even though I may already own the existing Blu-ray. However, since Strangelove is the same master from a 4K transfer and I love DigiBooks, I shall be passing on this one.
Old 02-27-16, 04:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Question about the Graduate audio commentary:

I have the Criterion Laserdisc of The Graduate. It has the commentary from 1987 featuring film scholar Howard Suber that has been carried over on to the blu. This commentary contained comments where Suber explains what "cigarette burns" are because the CC Laserdisc was indeed a transfer of a widescreen print that included big black reel change markers. Have these comments been retained on the Blu?
Old 02-27-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Where did we see that Criterion is releasing Dr. Strangelove?
Old 02-27-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
In most likelihood, Criterion would just license Sony's master. I doubt they'd do their own new transfer just for this, much less would Sony let them do it.

The aspect ratio fluctuations on the Criterion Laserdisc were a consequence of Kubrick instructing them to lift all the soft mattes to expose the entire photographed image. The problem was that Kubrick shot the film with hard mattes in the camera during some scenes. So the aspect ratio on the LD flipped back and forth from 4:3 to about 1.66:1. He was apparently not bothered by that.

The movie never played that way in theaters. At a retrospective of his films prior to his death, Kubrick asked that most of them be projected at a constant 1.66:1.

At the time Criterion did the Laserdisc, Kubrick was, unfortunately, a letterboxing hater who preferred his TV screen to be filled. This was not indicative of the aspect ratios he actually composed his movies for. Sadly, he died before 16:9 HDTVs were widely prevalent, so we'll never know when or if he would have eventually changed his mind on the subject.

The first pressing of Criterion's Laserdisc included a copy of an early script draft (authored as frame-by-frame still images) that was bookended with scenes involving aliens visiting a post-apocalyptic Earth to pass judgment on humanity's stupidity for destroying itself. Kubrick apparently did not authorize the release of that script (he was opposed to viewers seeing any behind-the-scenes content from his movies) and demanded that Criterion recall the discs and issue a second printing without the script. When Laserdiscs still had a collectors' market, first pressing copies were pretty valuable.

I'd like to see Criterion finally release that script, along with other material that Kubrick vetoed. Whether they'd actually do so, or would instead honor his original instructions, is unknown.
Didn't Kubrick eventually take to shooting his later films open matte so that they could be 1.66 in Europe, 1.85 in the U.S., and 1.33 on video and TV?

That does sound fascinating. I wonder what legal status it has? Who controls Kubrick's stuff now?
Old 02-27-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Where did we see that Criterion is releasing Dr. Strangelove?
Originally Posted by TheDuke

Dr. Strangelove?!
They throw up little hints on their website.
Old 02-28-16, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I love Kubrick
I love Dr Strangelove
I love Criterion.....

But I'm not buying the new version when the OOP Sony already kicks ass. I'd rather buy a new movie than double dip at this point.
Old 02-28-16, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I love Kubrick
I love Dr Strangelove
I love Criterion.....

But I'm not buying the new version when the OOP Sony already kicks ass. I'd rather buy a new movie than double dip at this point.
Agreed!
Old 02-28-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Once again, it sounds like Criterion is putting its efforts into something that really didn't need it.
I understand that having Dr. Strangelove adds more prestige to the collection - but there are so many other titles they could've tackled instead of adding more re-releases for a format that is lacking in catalog titles.
Old 02-28-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

I have the Criterion Laserdisc of The Graduate. It has the commentary from 1987 featuring film scholar Howard Suber that has been carried over on to the blu. This commentary contained comments where Suber explains what "cigarette burns" are because the CC Laserdisc was indeed a transfer of a widescreen print that included big black reel change markers. Have these comments been retained on the Blu?
This doesn't answer but i know the non anamorphic dvd for the graduate had the cigarette burn marks/reel changes.

& the blu ray for Godzilla has a recycled commentary where the commentator says something to the effects of "i'm sorry the transfer you are watching has thousands of scratches and marks, even the best technology can't get rid of those" As the criterion version was able to remove most of the marks and scratches on Godzilla
Old 02-28-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coral
Once again, it sounds like Criterion is putting its efforts into something that really didn't need it.
I understand that having Dr. Strangelove adds more prestige to the collection - but there are so many other titles they could've tackled instead of adding more re-releases for a format that is lacking in catalog titles.
These bigger and more prestigious titles also help to provide funding for other lesser-known or niche titles.
Old 02-28-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
These bigger and more prestigious titles also help to provide funding for other lesser-known or niche titles.
Yes, but only IF they sell well. To begin with, Dr. Strangelove isn't a huge seller as it is... and judging by some reactions in this thread, there may be a lot of people who are perfectly fine with the current release. The market has changed over the last 10-15 years - the need to own titles has dwindled considerably, never mind the desire to double-dip.

I'd really like to see Criterion's sales number per title.
Old 02-28-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mabuse

The Chasing Amy commentary retains the "fuck DVD" at the beginning, so I'd imagine so.
Old 02-28-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I don't have a problem in upgrading this specific title to CC. Hell, I had a gut feeling Inside Lewynn Davis would get the CC treatment and lo and behold it did. Glad I waited. At this point - who cares if Stangelove is released by CC? A CC edition is always a worthy upgrade, imo.
Old 02-28-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but only IF they sell well. To begin with, Dr. Strangelove isn't a huge seller as it is... and judging by some reactions in this thread, there may be a lot of people who are perfectly fine with the current release. The market has changed over the last 10-15 years - the need to own titles has dwindled considerably, never mind the desire to double-dip.

I'm sure there are other crazies like me who buy every title, so they've got that for a baseline.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The Chasing Amy commentary retains the "fuck DVD" at the beginning, so I'd imagine so.
There's even an introduction, where Kevin Smith claims that was not him on the commentary.

Here's my signed Chasing Amy.

Old 02-29-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Well, the Sony BD is currently out of print, so it's not like the Criterion will be competing directly with the old disc. And as shagrath mentioned, there are plenty of people out there who buy every title no matter what. Either way, we should probably wait for specs until we decide one way or another that this is a worthy title.
Old 03-07-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

In today's Variety:

Criterion Collection to launch in U.K. following Sony Pact

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/...ny-1201724067/

SPHE will bring selected titles from Criterion’s extensive catalog and future new release slate to the U.K. for the first time. The first wave of films, featuring all the supplements from the U.S. editions along with their exclusive artwork and packaging, are “Grey Gardens,” “It Happened One Night,” Roman Polanski’s “Macbeth,” “Only Angels Have Wings,” “Speedy” and “Tootsie.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.