Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Old 06-16-09, 05:12 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Hell yes about Pierrot le fou!
Old 06-16-09, 05:24 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I imagine Royal and Life Aquatic were decent sellers because of how they were advertised and sold in stores yet no BD? Not even a hint of them coming in the future?
There's not even a hint of hundreds of Criterions on Blu-ray. I'm sure it will get a release, eventually.
Old 06-16-09, 07:15 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by theWitcher View Post
While I'm sure that Blu-ray can provide somewhat better resolution and improved color reproduction of its 16mm origins than the pretty good SD DVD, I'm wondering if the audio specs are going to be updated for 'Monterey Pop.' I guess they can up the bitrates...
Of course. They'll use lossless audio instead of the lossy audio on DVD.
Old 06-23-09, 01:10 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,307
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Last Year at Marienbad arrived today. First of all, it comes in the same awful packaging that plagued the first few Criterion BDs. What's going on, I though this was a universal switch to the clear cases?

Second....I can't even get it out of the damn slipcover. I've had some tight slipcovers before, but this takes the cake. I'm looking in over the top, and I can see the case is stuffed, with a thick booklet. This is bullshit.
Old 06-23-09, 01:23 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
What's going on, I though this was a universal switch to the clear cases?
It was. Marienbad was just a victim of production-queue bounce.

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
This is bullshit.
Hey, at least you've got a beautiful copy of a great movie.
Old 06-23-09, 01:38 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,307
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

I'd love to watch it, but...I cant..even access it!

Where are my pliers?
Old 06-23-09, 01:40 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: location, location...
Posts: 439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MONTEREY POP

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Of course. They'll use lossless audio instead of the lossy audio on DVD.
I wonder if and when they'll update the specs on their website. It seems like lossless sound would be the main selling point for this particular release (and a lossless stereo track would be preferable to including both TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks. Are there any set-ups that can play DTS-MA and cannot play TrueHD?)

Another selling point would be HD (or at least decent SD quality) versions of the Outtake Performances, but I know that won't happen.
Old 06-24-09, 09:23 AM
  #58  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Iceland
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by theWitcher View Post
While I'm sure that Blu-ray can provide somewhat better resolution and improved color reproduction of its 16mm origins than the pretty good SD DVD...
Owning "Pride & Prejudice" (1995) on BD, I can tell you that 16mm can look absolutely spectacular in HD if done right.
Old 06-24-09, 09:34 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SP, Colorado
Posts: 5,344
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Last Year at Marienbad arrived today. First of all, it comes in the same awful packaging that plagued the first few Criterion BDs. What's going on, I though this was a universal switch to the clear cases?

Second....I can't even get it out of the damn slipcover. I've had some tight slipcovers before, but this takes the cake. I'm looking in over the top, and I can see the case is stuffed, with a thick booklet. This is bullshit.
I have the same problem. I cannot get the damn slipcase off. I've already crumpled it a bit trying and I think I'm going to have to just tear it off, ruining the case, to get it out.
Old 06-25-09, 02:54 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,307
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

I ended up reaching in and taking the booklet out first, then the slipcover. Pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-26-09, 01:46 AM
  #61  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Man, you guys ain't kiddin'! Thanks for the tip on the booklet- that (finally) did the trick. May this be the last of these cardboard-sleeve victims.
Old 06-26-09, 05:24 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,441
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

YMMV, but...

My buddy e-mailed his complaint about the tight packaging to Criterion. The response he got back was that they're aware that the packaging was too tight on the first run due to an error at the packaging facility that has since been corrected. They offered to send him one of the extra slipcases they had at the production offices that would fit better.
Old 06-26-09, 05:46 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: MONTEREY POP

Originally Posted by theWitcher View Post
I wonder if and when they'll update the specs on their website. It seems like lossless sound would be the main selling point for this particular release (and a lossless stereo track would be preferable to including both TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks. Are there any set-ups that can play DTS-MA and cannot play TrueHD?)
Hmmm, they have Dolby Digital and DTS listed, but I can't imagine it won't be lossless on the BD, probably with just DTS-HD MA. Some other titles like Chungking Express don't have lossless listed on their site, so I think sometimes they just have the DVD's info. They used 2.0 DTS-HD MA for The Last Emperor, so it's certainly possible they could include a stereo track in that format.
Old 06-26-09, 07:01 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,307
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Thanks kefrank, I emailed Jon Mulvaney about it.
Old 06-29-09, 07:24 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

DVD Beaver comparison of For All Mankind
Old 06-29-09, 10:03 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
DVD Beaver comparison of For All Mankind
I'm probably the only one, but the original transfer looks better to me.
Old 06-30-09, 09:42 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,429
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
YMMV, but...

My buddy e-mailed his complaint about the tight packaging to Criterion. The response he got back was that they're aware that the packaging was too tight on the first run due to an error at the packaging facility that has since been corrected. They offered to send him one of the extra slipcases they had at the production offices that would fit better.
There was a similar sizing issue with the first run of the (amazing) Rohmer boxset, and so I sent the email.

Received four resized boxes over the course of the next several weeks!

And then I decided I preferred the tighter packaging...
Old 06-30-09, 10:12 PM
  #68  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 27,228
Received 986 Likes on 705 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Just wanted to chime in and say that I love the packaging for The Seventh Seal. All standard Blu-ray releases should be in these cases.
Old 07-01-09, 02:44 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,307
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Just got the new slipcover in the mail. Fits like a glove now.
Old 07-01-09, 05:33 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,427
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I'm probably the only one, but the original transfer looks better to me.
No you're not. frankly, i don't understand at all why they chose FAM for blu-ray given the hundreds of choices that would benefit more from the upgrade. the very nature of the film using all the old footage makes any possible improvement minimal. It's a wonderful film, but it's at the bottom of Criterion's that should get the blu treatment imo.
Old 07-01-09, 06:08 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Blu-ray.com
Posts: 10,380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
No you're not. frankly, i don't understand at all why they chose FAM for blu-ray given the hundreds of choices that would benefit more from the upgrade. the very nature of the film using all the old footage makes any possible improvement minimal.
Because this year marks the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, perhaps the greatest event from America's recent history!

This being said, looking at screencaptures only would not reveal to you the type of improvement(s) the Blu-ray release offers. The new transfer is notably stronger, more stable and with a dramatically improved grain-scheme. Even on mid-size screens - 50' to 55' inch - the upgrades are very easy to detect. On larger screens - 102' and up - the upgrades are impressive.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-04-09 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-09, 01:11 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Pro-B's review of For All Mankind from Blu-ray.com
Old 07-04-09, 01:29 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,427
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

50-55 inches is a "mid-size" screen now?!??!!
Old 07-04-09, 01:36 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
50-55 inches is a "mid-size" screen now?!??!!
I know. I remember when one of my friends purchased a "massive" 32-inch screen, and we were all in awe.
Old 07-04-09, 01:57 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,957
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
50-55 inches is a "mid-size" screen now?!??!!
Honestly, it is!

Can't beat a 100+ inch screen.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.