HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Old 08-18-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

If the cast in Tootsie all spoke French and it was in black and white would it be more Criterion worthy?

What makes a film Criterion worthy anyways? If more than 12 people have heard of the film should they be allowed to put it out?
Old 08-18-14, 06:42 PM
Banned by request

I love the idea of people seeing Criterion announce a film they deem "unworthy" of the collection, and then they scan over the Criterion section of their home video library, and they look at some amazing films, and they think, "Well, these are all a little more shit now. Thanks, Criterion!"

I mean, shit, Armageddon has been in the CC since the early days of DVD. And you're claiming that TOOTSIE is the film that's ruining the CC?
Old 08-18-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I mean, shit, Armageddon has been in the CC since the early days of DVD. And you're claiming that TOOTSIE is the film that's ruining the CC?
More like I can't believe they have done it again.
Old 08-18-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, Tootsie is one of the best films of the 80's, yo.

Oh, you, young whippersnappers.

Also as far as Criterion being a simplistic home video label - they're cheaper than film school and you can get more out of it, IMO.
Old 08-18-14, 07:47 PM
Banned

Normally the features alone at times are worth buying the BD/DVD.

The last Seven Samurai DVD edition was my first entry to CC. Holy shit. I totally got my money's worth on that one. Overpriced at BB but I had heard of how amazing that film was since forever that I had to do a blind buy on it.
Old 08-18-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
More like I can't believe they have done it again.
Do you understand Criterion would probably go out of business if they ONLY released decades old foreign films?

For every copy of L'aaventura sold they will probably sell 15 or 20 copies of Tootsie. That will allow Criterion to keep the lights on so they can continue to release titles like Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

Out of five November titles announced, only one of them can't be described as old, foreign, arty or documentary.

I think Armageddon is one of the biggest shit stains in the history of cinema, but I didn't piss myself when Criterion released it. It's just one title I won't buy. There are literally hundreds of others that I can.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 08-18-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Do you understand Criterion would probably go out of business if they ONLY released decades old foreign films?
Of course. But the flipside of that is not just release anything that will make money, right?

I think the people critical of some selections would all shut up if they just scrapped the taglines and everything else that supposedly set a higher standard (that they created themselves) and just admitted they will release what they can get the rights to.
Old 08-18-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as the "classic" designation for Tootsie, I can remember when the movie came out it was a huge deal, sort of a water-cooler move that people were talking about, it was all over tv and in the news, etc. I was really young at the time and can remember the hype around this movie.

But it quickly fell off of the cultural radar, and seemed mostly forgotten, unlike films like Jaws, Pulp Fiction, and others that are fondly remembered, oft-quoted, and still played on television and readily available on DVD. I'm not even sure if it got a DVD release; never remember seeing it in stores.

I've never actually seen the movie,so I can't speak for its quality. And, since it doesn't sound like something that would appeal to me, I probably won't go out of my way to watch it any time soon.
Old 08-18-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Comedies rarely get the same respect afforded dramas. I recall a number of people complaning about Criterion releasing It's a Mad Mad...World. Sure, we all like comedies but do you really consider your favorite comedy in the class as your favorite drama? Maybe if the comedy included Chaplin or Keaton. But surely not more modern comedies. Well, I cherish my favorite comedies as much as I cherish Kurosawa. I loved Tootsie when it was released to theaters and I'll surely buy the Criterion.
Old 08-18-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
As far as the "classic" designation for Tootsie, I can remember when the movie came out it was a huge deal, sort of a water-cooler move that people were talking about, it was all over tv and in the news, etc. I was really young at the time and can remember the hype around this movie...

But it quickly fell off of the cultural radar, and seemed mostly forgotten, unlike films like Jaws, Pulp Fiction, and others that are fondly remembered, oft-quoted, and still played on television and readily available on DVD.
Gimmick movies tend to do that.

I enjoyed the movie then (saw it in the theater with my parents), and do now (have the 25th DVD). Some of the performances even fit the great category. But it's just not a movie I would consider a classic. JMO. YMMV.

And despite all my posts about the choice surprising me, if it is a huge upgrade in quality over the DVD and has a lot of additional extras, I'll pick it up during one of those 50%+ sales.
Old 08-18-14, 09:28 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hoffman is amazing in Tootsie. I'm just glad Twilight Time didn't get Tootsie. As it is a must for me as I loved it.
Old 08-18-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by g View Post
I'm just glad Twilight Time didn't get Tootsie.
I imagine almost of all us could agree on that.
Old 08-18-14, 09:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Of course. But the flipside of that is not just release anything that will make money, right?

I think the people critical of some selections would all shut up if they just scrapped the taglines and everything else that supposedly set a higher standard (that they created themselves) and just admitted they will release what they can get the rights to.
That's called marketing. I'm sure you can find someone to oppose any given entry in the Criterion Collection, but just because some people disagree with some titles doesn't invalidate that Criterion is doing very good release of films that are, on the whole, very good to great to landmark and classic. If everybody agreed with every release choice, it would probably be a pretty bland collection of films.

Another solution is that the people complaining could get the titles they want, ignore the titles they don't, and worry about more important things, like practically any other topic one could imagine.
Old 08-18-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another solution is that the people complaining could get the titles they want, ignore the titles they don't, and worry about more important things, like practically any other topic one could imagine.
Got to love all the don't a have a discussion on the discussion forum comments we have been getting lately.
Old 08-18-14, 09:58 PM
Banned by request

You can discuss whatever you like, and I'm also able to discuss how silly it is to get a stick up your butt over whether or not Criterion is releasing the "right" movies.
Old 08-18-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's called marketing. I'm sure you can find someone to oppose any given entry in the Criterion Collection, but just because some people disagree with some titles doesn't invalidate that Criterion is doing very good release of films that are, on the whole, very good to great to landmark and classic. If everybody agreed with every release choice, it would probably be a pretty bland collection of films. Another solution is that the people complaining could get the titles they want, ignore the titles they don't, and worry about more important things, like practically any other topic one could imagine.
This is the Internet, the only other things worth worrying about are actual real-world problems, and those have no place here ! Who cares about financial collapse, I want Spirit of the Beehive on Blu Ray!
Old 08-19-14, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, Tootsie is a classic. Hey, I saw it on cable in the '80s. I was a child. I liked it. I am not planning on rewatching it.

Now, on with with new blu-ray releases via Criterion... or waiting for more announcements.
Old 08-19-14, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slowcloud View Post
OK, Tootsie is a classic. Hey, I saw it on cable in the '80s. I was a child. I liked it. I am not planning on rewatching it.

Now, on with with new blu-ray releases via Criterion... or waiting for more announcements.
Old 08-19-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-19-14, 08:59 AM

Old 08-19-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-19-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So excited by this release!

Old 08-19-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
We finally watched this on Netflix earlier this year and I was honestly surprised at how enjoyable it was.
Old 08-19-14, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I'd buy that ... for a dollar...
Old 08-19-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How'd we function before Photoshop ?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.