HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Old 07-10-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
So is everyone here passing on the release of Scanners next week?
Because it too was supposedly tweaked?

I saw the screen grabs that caused the color discussion and decided to still pick it up during the recent big B&N sale.
Old 07-10-14, 07:44 PM
Banned by request

I also ordered it in the B&N sale. I almost didn't, but the inclusion of Stereo in HD pushed me to get it.
Old 07-10-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Because it too was supposedly tweaked?

I saw the screen grabs that caused the color discussion and decided to still pick it up during the recent big B&N sale.
Yea, I was just curious what everyone thought since it was brought up a few pages back.
Old 07-10-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much I dislike breaking up retarded arguments...browsing the criterionforum site today, it appears The Brood will be announced next week, the Apu trilogy is definitely on the way, and with an oblique statement by Criterion, posters have speculated that Carrie might be joining the library (they did release it on laserdisc, after all).
Old 07-10-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Carrie rumor comes from a facebook post. They mention Sisters in the post so it's probably more likely they would upgrade that and not Carrie.
Old 07-10-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True, but the post said "SISTERS wasn’t the first Brian De Palma film in the Criterion Collection…" and had a pic of the Carrie LD, hence the speculation.

You're probably right, though--it's more likely going to be Sisters, which I'm not thrilled about, and for purely selfish reasons, as I recently acquired Arrow's exemplary Blu of that film, and would rather it be Carrie.
Old 07-10-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenVulture View Post
As much I dislike breaking up retarded arguments...browsing the criterionforum site today, it appears The Brood will be announced next week, the Apu trilogy is definitely on the way, and with an oblique statement by Criterion, posters have speculated that Carrie might be joining the library (they did release it on laserdisc, after all).
^Cool.

I'm still not a big Ray fan, but I've always wanted to see that trilogy because, you know, they're still said to be among the greatest movies ever made.

I've also noticed how more and more "Name" titles keep on popping up on Criterion latley. I'm actually starting to miss those days (On the dvd forum) when you would always have those certain members going apeshit over releases that almost no one had never heard of.
i.e, "Holy Shit!!!! Fanfan la Tulipe is finally coming!!!"
Old 07-10-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I probably shouldn't discount the rumor. Scream Factory had Carrie at one point and then something happened. MGM could have jumped ship and given it to Criterion. Criterion outbid them for Scanners as well so maybe they're trying to seize as many horror titles as they can.
Old 07-10-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it more "name" titles being released or just recently releasing things that are far more familiar to posters here given the theatrical release year?

People that don't know Was Anderson movies are probably still wondering why they hell they keep releasing "no-names" when there are so many super-hero movies to choose from.
Old 07-10-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're also working on a Blu release for The Vanishing(Spoorloos) which I'm very excited about.
Old 07-11-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since it was mentioned again recently, then what about Scanners? Another case of radically different colors on the Criterion release.

Once again I see a DVD release history with the wrong colors. But maybe there are people that want to label Cronenberg as a revisionist as well.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-11-14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is it more "name" titles being released or just recently releasing things that are far more familiar to posters here given the theatrical release year?

People that don't know Was Anderson movies are probably still wondering why they hell they keep releasing "no-names" when there are so many super-hero movies to choose from.
I can't imagine there are too many people who are interested only in super-hero movies even know what Criterion is.

Criterion's output has certainly skewed more to the mainstream in the last year or two. More mainstream than what they were releasing on DVD in the mid '00s anyway. And the reason is simple. The studios don't care about catalog on BD and Criterion has more opportunity to license better known titles.

Oh, and no one ever got excited about them releasing Fanfan la Tulipe. That's just silly talk.
Old 07-11-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since it was mentioned again recently, then what about Scanners? Another case of radically different colors on the Criterion release.
1) We still need confirmation that the screencap posted earlier is accurate. I'm skeptical. It looks like it was captured incorrectly to me. Not only is the color weird, the gamma is seriously flattened.
2) If Cronenberg has indeed changed the colors, how much of the movie is affected? Is it just the one shot or scene, or are extensive sections of the movie now tinted green?

In Thief, almost every indoor scene in the film is now teal.

Once again I see a DVD release history with the wrong colors.
You can't accidentally add a whole range of new colors to an image that didn't previously have them before. But you can (either by accident or on purpose) apply a single uniform tint to smother all of the original colors. Which seems more plausible?
Old 07-11-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
They're also working on a Blu release for The Vanishing(Spoorloos) which I'm very excited about.
Can't wait to hear people complain about the ending.
Old 07-11-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

Also there's something to be said for letting films stand as they are. That's why I love the Blade Runner set so much. It allows each cut of the film to speak for itself.
I've only watched the Final Cut and that was on the HD DVD back in 2008.
But that, and from what I understand the DC, are demonstrably changed in terms of color grading from the original release.

Does the original theatrical release on the set have the original theatrical grading?
Old 07-11-14, 08:22 PM
Banned by request

I would assume so, and haven't heard any complaints about the grading on that set for the older cuts, but I can't say for certain.
Old 07-12-14, 03:14 PM

I'm getting ready to start (merge prior comments) a different thread JUST talking about the re-grading/tinting of Criterion's Thief - as I recall we had this same discussion on this topic in another HD Talk subthread.
Old 07-12-14, 03:31 PM
Banned

Just make a Thief BD thread.
Old 07-12-14, 04:11 PM

^ and done!
Old 07-14-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I've recently become very curious to see Shape Of Things To Come and some of the Cassevettes films- two Criterion packages that I've had zero interest in during past sales, despite the glowing reviews of each.
I have to say David Kalat's commentary on THINGS TO COME is one of the best film-historian commentaries I've listened to. One of the rare commentaries that I listened to before watching the film cold! It really helped me understand just WTF Wells was intending with this utopian propaganda. And it is much more of a didactic propaganda film than it is science fiction. Fascinating commentary.
Old 07-14-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan View Post
I have to say David Kalat's commentary on THINGS TO COME is one of the best film-historian commentaries I've listened to. One of the rare commentaries that I listened to before watching the film cold! It really helped me understand just WTF Wells was intending with this utopian propaganda. And it is much more of a didactic propaganda film than it is science fiction. Fascinating commentary.
David Kalat is one of the best commentators around. He's done tracks for both the American and Japanese cuts of the original Godzilla that are great. He's done a couple of other Criterion tracks (To Be Or Not To Be comes to mind) as well. He's also done a bunch for other companies.
Old 07-15-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New announcments: My Darling Clementine, Complete Jacques Tati box set, La Dolce Vita plus Blu upgrades of The Vanishing and F For Fake (not sure on that last one).
Old 07-15-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There you have it. I go cancel my Tati Box set from the UK now.
Old 07-15-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New announcments: My Darling Clementine, Complete Jacques Tati box set, La Dolce Vita plus Blu upgrades of The Vanishing and F For Fake (not sure on that last one).
Ha!
Just a month after I imported the German disc.

At least this is one disc I actually watched before I'll be upgrading it.
Will be worth it for the pre-release version + other extras.

Will be in for La Dolce Vita too.
Old 07-15-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Complete Jacques Tati box set.
I hope they sell them individually, only interested in Playtime.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.