HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Old 06-24-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Fuck yeah for Dolce Vita!

Probably my second favorite Fellini.
Old 06-24-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Though I assume those are still considered "rumor", that's great news on Mulholland Drive and La Dolce Vita. Love MD and have never gotten around to seeing La Dolce Vita, but will likely give it a shot once the Criterion disc materializes.
Tyler Foster (who doesn't post here anymore, but still reviews I think) mentioned over at blu-ray.com that he has a contact at Criterion who told him they weren't working on MD as recently as May, but assumes they must have started work on it recently. He also mentioned that Eraserhead was kind of a "trial run" for working with Lynch (they had problems with each other in the past) and that the experience was positive, so they've moved on to MD.

Last edited by rocket1312; 06-24-14 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I misunderstood Tyler's comments, so I changed my post accordingly.
Old 06-24-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

La Dolce Vita is exciting news. I remember the rights holder (was it New York Video or Koch Lorber or whatever they changed their name to) held on so fucking tight to that title all through the DVD era and their DVD was a shitty PAL conversion.
Old 06-26-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh-oh. The color timing of Criterion's SCANNERS is the center of some controversy on the Blu-ray & Criterion Forums.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scanne...6/#Screenshots

One frame comparison that's making the rounds:

Spoiler:
Old 06-26-14, 01:59 PM

Oh, gosh... That looks terrible in all honesty.
Old 06-26-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That can't be right. I haven't seen the disc, but that looks like a screencap that was captured incorrectly.
Old 06-26-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read through the entire thread, which was exhausting. Criterion confirmed that Cronenberg was involved and this is the color timing he prefers. The side-by-side comparisons always look worse in a screenshot, when you're actually watching a movie the color timing isn't that distracting. I'll definitely be picking up the Criterion version.
Old 06-26-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're going to have to start distinguishing between "director's intent" and actual "theatrical version." I don't know how everyone feels, but when I buy an older movie being updated for Blu-ray, I want to see the movie as close as possible to how it appeared in theaters, NOT how the director INTENDED it to appear (which is usually just an excuse for him to tweak with his movie). This is really not too much different than someone like Lucas updating special effects - it's changing the original version (and often for no good reason).
Old 06-26-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I read through the entire thread, which was exhausting.
You're certainly a braver man than I! Nobody posting in those threads over there ever seems willing to read back more than 3 posts, so they just keep going on and on in endless circles.

Criterion confirmed that Cronenberg was involved and this is the color timing he prefers.
One other thing to note, Criterion also confirmed that he DID NOT use any sort of references when supervising the color timing. In other words, there wasn't much of an effort to make sure they were authentic to the original release. They pretty much just represent how Cronenberg wants it to look now. Who knows if he purposely changed them up, or just went it with a blank slate and did his best. I will say that the example cap above is by far the most jarring one I've seen. Many of the others are quite close to the other editions out there.
Old 06-26-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cronenberg's a smart dude, and knows what he's doing. I respect his opinion enough, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this bluray looks. Everybody was up in arms over Thief but that release looked amazing.
Old 06-26-14, 04:21 PM
Banned

Not you too, David. Goddamnit.
Old 06-27-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dvdbeaver's review of Scanners is up. They are praising the new color scheme and to them it's more "film like".
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...rs_blu-ray.htm
Old 06-27-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
We're going to have to start distinguishing between "director's intent" and actual "theatrical version." I don't know how everyone feels, but when I buy an older movie being updated for Blu-ray, I want to see the movie as close as possible to how it appeared in theaters, NOT how the director INTENDED it to appear (which is usually just an excuse for him to tweak with his movie).
Is anyone here the same person they were twenty (or thirty+) years ago?
Do you have the same tastes, value the same things, preoccupied by the same thoughts?

Neither are these directors. People think because they inhabit the same aging physical shell, that these are the same people that created the material all those years ago. They aren't. For as different as they are now, they may as well be entirely different people unassociated with the film entirely.

I need to start a petition to the studios to not allow directors to revise their films after a short grace period (say 2-5 years). If they want to do it at home and show it to a few friends, fine. But any public exhibition of any kind needs to locked down early on. As a supplement people can choose to ignore, fine. But there really needs to be some permanence returned to this art form. If it can be altered at any time by the indulgences of the studio and the current caprices of the artist, the work isn't finished to begin with and shouldn't have been declared as such.

And screw Star Wars. I'm still vexed I can't watch the original Warriors without the cheesy on-the-nose comic book transitions in HD.
Old 06-27-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're going to have to start distinguishing between "director's intent" and actual "theatrical version." I don't know how everyone feels, but when I buy an older movie being updated for Blu-ray, I want to see the movie as close as possible to how it appeared in theaters, NOT how the director INTENDED it to appear (which is usually just an excuse for him to tweak with his movie). This is really not too much different than someone like Lucas updating special effects - it's changing the original version (and often for no good reason).
The newest Terminator BD, along with that abortion release of The French Connection are the most glaring examples I can think of. At least Fox new well enough to release an alternative version that didn't alienate cinephiles.

Director intent doesn't really matter to me. It's no different than what Lucas has done or studios that press the DNR button to scrub away film grain.

If it's not how it was shot and not how it was presented in theaters, its very difficult to look past that (at least to me).

Is Cronenberg going to get a pass for this just because he's Cronenberg?
Old 06-27-14, 04:15 PM
Banned

The problem that people like Lucas, Mann, Cameron, and etc is that it's ok to have a different intent now but to change some films like that is to change film history. That bothers me.
Old 06-27-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cronenberg is starting to rape my middle age
Old 06-27-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Easiest solution is to buy the German Subkultur release for viewing and the Criterion if you want the extras.
Old 06-27-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I knew who said it (I'm pretty sure it was a director - but it may have been an actor...but it was someone of note in the Hollywood community), but recently someone was quoted as saying that (and I'm paraphrasing, as I don't remember the exact language) every movie is a reflection of the time it was released and should be preserved - warts and all - as closely to its original version as possible.

Movies are a window to our past, and every bit of tinkering that is done to them - however small, takes away some of that past when they're tampered with.

Now it's one thing to clean up a film to make it look as close as possible to the theatrical release, it's quite another thing to change it because "that's how I always intended it to appear." We're seeing more and more of the latter these days, and it's really sad to see - particularly from people who claim to love film.
Old 06-27-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem is, it's the studios that are facilitating it. It takes studio money/go ahead to go back in and revise it and consecrate the changes with a new master to then dispense on all the platforms.

You have to head this stuff off at the studio level.
Old 06-27-14, 05:48 PM

I wish I knew who said it (I'm pretty sure it was a director - but it may have been an actor...but it was someone of note in the Hollywood community), but recently someone was quoted as saying that (and I'm paraphrasing, as I don't remember the exact language) every movie is a reflection of the time it was released and should be preserved - warts and all - as closely to its original version as possible.

Movies are a window to our past, and every bit of tinkering that is done to them - however small, takes away some of that past when they're tampered with.

Now it's one thing to clean up a film to make it look as close as possible to the theatrical release, it's quite another thing to change it because "that's how I always intended it to appear." We're seeing more and more of the latter these days, and it's really sad to see - particularly from people who claim to love film.
Fully agree!

Also, I think you might be referring to a Spielberg interview from a few years ago.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49921

Oh, I know. I totally understand that. (In the future) thereís going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. Iím not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show.

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray Iím not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out, that are guiding the airplanes down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and with all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.
Old 06-27-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In other news...

Criterion's latest newsletter hints at It Happened One Night in the works.

Great news to me as it's still one of my favorite classics.
Old 06-27-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome. I'm hoping they have the rights for other Capra films.
Old 06-27-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Dvdbeaver's review of Scanners is up. They are praising the new color scheme and to them it's more "film like".
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...rs_blu-ray.htm
It is certainly more film-like, but that's not a comment at all on the color timing and brightness. The Koch one looks close to an upscaled DVD, from those screenshots.
Old 07-01-14, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Random question- how many releases were in the dual format? (spine # to spine # if possible) thanks
Old 07-02-14, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to make sure... everybody here knows about this....
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...july-28-a.html
... right?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.