Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by slowcloud
It was digital, but it's not a Dogme film because of the chapters and the music that accompanies, not to mention its ending.
Although Lars von Trier was the most prominent voice in the Dogme 95 movement, the only of his movies that's officially a Dogme 95 film is The Idiots.
Old 04-15-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Scanners!

They're in! Pickpocket, Scanners, Insomnia, Jacques Demy, and The Big Chill!
Someone else can do the fancy smancy artworks and synopsis..
Old 04-15-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I will be buying all of them.
Old 04-15-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-15-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SCANNERS fucking finally
Old 04-15-14, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES! Scanners! About damn time!
Can we please get Mulholland Dr. next?
Old 04-15-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a cover. Anyone recognize the artist?
Old 04-15-14, 06:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scanners is the only one from that batch I'll get.
Old 04-15-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Scanners for me, and even though Big Chill was about the asshole generation before mine and got far too canonized, I'll probably get that too.
Old 04-15-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Really wish I could get excited about Scanners as I have still have a reserve of nostalgia for all the impact the TV commercials for it had at the time. But when I finally saw it years later, it was fairly disappointing.
I may try to give it another shot at some point, but it's not a high priority for me.

The Jacques Demy set on the other hand is a Day One purchase. Especially if B&N continues having their sales in July. Out of all the alluded to titles in the New Years cartoon, that was my most anticipated, so it will be great to get it in the middle of the year and not have to wait for a sale in November.
Old 04-15-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
SCANNERS fucking finally
This. A thousand times this.
Old 04-15-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
SCANNERS fucking finally
Old 04-15-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, since nobody's mentioning any of the releases outside of Scanners...

Spine #712

With Scanners, David Cronenberg plunges us into one of his most terrifying and thrilling sci-fi worlds. After a man with extraordinary—and frighteningly destructive—telepathic abilities is nabbed by agents from a mysterious rogue corporation, he discovers he is far from the only possessor of such strange powers, and that some of the other “scanners” have their minds set on world domination, while others are trying to stop them. A trademark Cronenberg combination of the visceral and the cerebral, this phenomenally gruesome and provocative film about the expanses and limits of the human brain was the Canadian director’s breakout hit in the United States.

Disc Features
New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
The “Scanners” Way, a new documentary on the film’s special effects
New interview with actor Michael Ironside
The Ephemerol Diaries, a 2012 interview with actor and artist Stephen Lack
Excerpt from a 1981 interview with Cronenberg on the CBC’s The Bob McLean Show
Stereo (1969), Cronenberg’s first feature film
Trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kim Newman

Spine #713-719

French director Jacques Demy didn’t just make movies—he created an entire cinematic world. Demy launched his glorious feature filmmaking career in the sixties, a decade of astonishing invention in his national cinema. He stood out from the crowd of his fellow New Wavers, however, by filtering his self-conscious formalism through deeply emotional storytelling. Fate and coincidence, doomed love, and storybook romance surface throughout his films, many of which are further united by the intersecting lives of characters who either appear or are referenced across titles. Demy’s films—which range from musical to melodrama to fantasia—are triumphs of visual and sound design, camera work, and music, and they are galvanized by the great stars of French cinema at their centers, including Anouk Aimée, Catherine Deneuve, and Jeanne Moreau. The works collected here, made from the sixties to the eighties, touch the heart and mind in equal measure.

Collector’s Set Includes
LOLA
BAY OF ANGELS
THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG
THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT
DONKEY SKIN
UNE CHAMBRE EN VILLE

Disc Features
New 2K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays of Lola and Bay of Angels/ and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 surround soundtracks on the Blu-rays of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Young Girls of Rochefort, Donkey Skin, and Une chambre en ville
Two documentaries by filmmaker Agnès Varda: The World of Jacques Demy (1995) and The Young Girls Turn 25 (1993)
Four short films by director Jacques Demy: Les horizons morts (1951), Le sabotier du Val de Loire (1956), Ars (1959), and La luxure (1962)
Jacques Demy A to Z, a new visual essay by film critic James Quandt
Two archival interviews from French television with Demy and composer Michel Legrand, one on The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and the other on The Young Girls of Rochefort
French television interview from 1962 with actor Jeanne Moreau on the set of Bay of Angels
Once Upon a Time . . . “The Umbrellas of Cherbourg,” a 2008 documentary
French television program about the making of Donkey Skin
“Donkey Skin” Illustrated, a video program on the many versions of Charles Perrault’s fairy tale
“Donkey Skin” and the Thinkers, a video program on the themes of the film, featuring critic Camille Tabouley
New video conversation with Demy biographer Jean-Pierre Berthomé and costume designer Jacqueline Moreau
New interviews with author Marie Colmant and film scholar Rodney Hill
Q&A with Demy from the 1987 Midnight Sun Film Festival, as well as an audio Q&A with him from the American Film Institute in 1971
Archival audio recordings of interviews with Demy, Legrand, and actor Catherine Deneuve at the National Film Theatre in London
Interview with actor Anouk Aimée conducted by Varda in 2012
Interview from 2012 with Varda on the origin of Lola’s song
Video programs on the restorations of Lola, Bay of Angels, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and Une chambre en ville
Trailers
New English subtitle translations
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Ginette Vincendeau, Terrence Rafferty, Jim Ridley, Jonathan Rosenbaum, Anne Duggan, and Geoff Andrew, and a postscript by Berthomé

Spine #720

After the shocking suicide of their friend, a group of thirtysomethings reunite for his funeral and end up spending a weekend together, reminiscing about their shared pasts as children of the sixties and confronting the uncertainty of their lives as adults of the eighties. Poignant and warmly humorous in equal measure, this 1983 baby boomer milestone made a star of writer-director Lawrence Kasdan and is perhaps the decade’s defining ensemble film, featuring memorable performances by Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, and JoBeth Williams. And with its playlist of hit songs from the sixties, The Big Chill all but invented the consummately curated soundtrack.

Disc Features
New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by cinematographer John Bailey and approved by director Lawrence Kasdan, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Alternate remastered 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
Reunion with cast and crew, including Kasdan, actors Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, and JoBeth Williams, from the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
Documentary from 1998 on the making of the film
Deleted scenes
Trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by writer, director, and actor Lena Dunham

Plus, upgrades on the following:

All are likely purchases for me. Especially if the Demy set is part of the July B&N sale...
Old 04-15-14, 10:24 PM
Banned

Hell yeah, Scanners includes Stereo too!

Maybe on down the line they will release The Brood and include Crimes of the Future.

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 04-15-14 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Hell yeah, Scanners includes Stereo too! Maybe on down the line they will release The Brood and include Crimes of the Future.
Isn't said short on disc as an extra for something? I forget which film. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 04-16-14, 01:35 AM
Banned

You're right. Had to look it up. Both of them are on the Fast Company Blu. They are 480 though. Wonder if Criterion will have Stereo in 1080?

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 04-16-14 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

In for Scanners and The Big Chill.

People seem to hate The Big Chill, I dunno, I've always loved it myself. I dig movies that deal with a close knit group of friends who sit around and talk. St Elmo's Fire, Return of the Secaucus Seven, The Big Chill. Good stuff.

Never seen a Jacques Demy film. Looks like a good set though. What would be a good place to start with his filmography?
Old 04-16-14, 03:55 AM

[QUOTE=Lt Ripley;12079106
Maybe on down the line they will release The Brood and include Crimes of the Future.[/QUOTE]

I think there was an article a little over a year back that mentioned Criterion was looking at film elements of THE BROOD, implying a release was in the future.

Whatever the case, I'd really like to get THE BROOD through Criterion.
Old 04-16-14, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you cant seriously complain about that lineup.
Old 04-16-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a pretty good month when Scanners is the worst of the bunch. And it's good enough for a purchase.
Old 04-16-14, 10:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I read that Scanners will not be available for purchase in Canada. What the shit, Criterion?
Old 04-16-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
In for Scanners and The Big Chill.

People seem to hate The Big Chill, I dunno, I've always loved it myself. I dig movies that deal with a close knit group of friends who sit around and talk. St Elmo's Fire, Return of the Secaucus Seven, The Big Chill. Good stuff.

Never seen a Jacques Demy film. Looks like a good set though. What would be a good place to start with his filmography?
Umbrellas Of Cherbourg is generally considered the big one here. It's truly a one-of-a-kind experience, renowned for it's use of color and it's score. It also has no conventinally spoken dialouge. Every single line in the film is sung. I guess that makes the film an acqirred taste. When I first saw it, I was going in interested to see how it used color- but the whole package was ultimately enchanting. Though I'll confess it took a bit of work to get acclimated to it's style. I had to force myself to stick with it and not bail in the first half hour. At some point though I crossed over and was completely on board by the
end...but the rewards of the film did come with a little effort.
I'm basically going to be buying the set (enthusiastically) just for that one film alone. To me, it has that much value all to itself.
Of the rest the only other one I've seen was Donkey Skin which was a bit of a disappointment, though it does have one good showstopping number. It's an 'earthy' re-telling of a fairytale about a donkey that, I kid you not, shits gold coins. Since it's included, I'll be interested to check it out again at some point, though I doubt I ever would have bought it again on it's own.
As far as I know, all the rest have admirers as well.

This set's release is absolutely one of the HUGE standouts of Criterion releases this year-in a year that's already seen quite a few highpoints.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 04-16-14 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll definitely upgrade my DVD for Insomnia.
Old 04-16-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty jazzed about Insomnia, too.

Originally Posted by Chadm
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
Old 04-16-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

In for Pickpocket, one of the greatest films ever made.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.