Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
The point I was trying to make was: I'd rather this alleged release acknowledges the troubles of the film, warts and all, rather than glossing over those in favor of one-sided essays proclaiming this a "misunderstood masterpiece". I hope they're not just waiting for former UA employees to die off so it can be a Cimino circle jerk. I tried listening to that guy's commentary on Year of the Dragon... if I was able to stay neutral about him after reading The Final Cut (which is what made me interested in watching Heaven's Gate to begin with), about halfway into the commentary I hated this guy. "I refuse to use storyboards, they're only for directors who have no imagination." At this point I wonder- why the hell am I listening to this guy? In fact, why would anyone take storyboard advice from the guy who really could've used some storyboards on Heaven's Gate? Does he give advice on fiscal responsibility during The Deer Hunter commentary?
I apologize for the tasteless joke but these are excellent points. I'm not very familiar with Cimino's movies but I have seen 'Deer Hunter.' It's nice to have one more Cazale performance, but I'm not sure why you give final cut and buckets of cash to anyone -- particularly for a fading genre -- based on that movie. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and currently there are no endless rails of blow lined up on my desk.

It has probably been around 20 years since I read the Bach book but I don't recall Cimino coming off very sympathetically. Of course, Cimino's isssues on the HG production were likely a primary contributing factor to the author losing a lucrative studio job; there was probably plenty of score settling involved with its narrative. I'm also sure there may be ego stroking afoot at Criterion if they care about Cimino participation in a HG release. Perhaps the producer of the disk thinks it's not only a misunderstood masterpiece but one of the greatest movies ever made. Maybe no one at Criterion thinks very much at all of the movie but someone (finally) might turn a profit on a HG release due to its cult status and it might as well be them.

There appears to be fewer audio commentaries on Crierion releases these days so perhaps there will be no solo Cimino track, where -- based on your impressions of the YOTD commentary -- he tries to elevate what most seem to think is a deeply flawed movie. Perhaps Cimino is willing to acknowledge problems with the movie and take some responsibility for its failure. Maybe he will just get an on-camera interview, and Criterion will also interview some of the guys who went on to form Orion. I'm sure there are some delicate negotiations based on all the egos and bad blood involved.
Old 05-07-12, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by theWitcher
I'm sure there are some delicate negotiations based on all the egos and bad blood involved.
Indeed. However, Hell pretty much froze over when they released that 3-disc Imperial Edition of Caligula. If that's possible, anything is.

Is this real news, though, or just hearsay? You may recall Sony was going to release Ishtar on Blu-ray, but that got yanked. The first time I read that Criterion was going to put out Heaven's Gate, I was wondering whether it was a belated April Fool's joke. "You already made the fake cover for Kindergarten Cop, this is just overkill."

I might be concerned if they do let Cimino supervise the transfer or re-integrate the footage from the 5 hour cut. We don't want to be reading "Cimino bankrupts Criterion!"

At any rate, it's not just the UA suits that have negative things to say about Cimino. There was an AV Club interview with Tom Noonan which pretty much dispelled the notion that the film was a joy for everyone on the creative end.
Originally Posted by Tom Noonan
[on Heaven's Gate (1980)] That was probably the worst experience I had in my adult life at that point. Michael Cimino's not a very nice person... He pointed a blank at my face once - which is really dangerous; you can kill somebody with a blank gun - like, threateningly. Like, "I want you to do this, and if you don't..." He was really crazy.
I guess not everyone had as much fun as Mickey Rourke or Jeff Bridges.
Old 05-07-12, 03:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
My statement was more about the fact that while no one may come right out and state it, the prevailing attitude here is one of acting like CC is the "be all, end all." Of course when that question is put to folks directly they won't admit they believe that, but they sure act like it is. Point being you don't have to be a CC disciple to be a fan of film.

Normally I wouldn't even engage in this debate, but I happened to pop in here to see what might be coming out next and I saw Mabuse's statement and felt compelled to reply.

Anyway it's not my intent to come in here and derail things any further. Please feel free to have the last word. No minds will be changed obviously.
Frankly I do think they are the "be all end all" in regards to making a great poduct. That's one of the number one things I like about Criterion. I genuinly admire their buisiness practices, their standards, their approach to presenting films the way they were meant to be seen. The very film studios who make many of the films in the collection don't take the care that Criterion does in presenting the film properly and making it a product worth owning. The "Criterion" name on a disc means it's as close to perfect as you're going to get. When I see the name "Universal" or "Paramount" on a disc I know there's a good chance it's going to be of poor quality.
Old 05-08-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Frankly I do think they are the "be all end all" in regards to making a great poduct. That's one of the number one things I like about Criterion. I genuinly admire their buisiness practices, their standards, their approach to presenting films the way they were meant to be seen. The very film studios who make many of the films in the collection don't take the care that Criterion does in presenting the film properly and making it a product worth owning. The "Criterion" name on a disc means it's as close to perfect as you're going to get. When I see the name "Universal" or "Paramount" on a disc I know there's a good chance it's going to be of poor quality.
I won't argue that at all - I agree CC means quality for sure. I just took exception to the notion one can't be a film lover if they don't love a lot of CC films. I don't have any issue with how CC treats or picks their films. I'm thrilled to be getting Being John Malkovich next week.
Old 05-08-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I've been enjoying Wes Anderson films before "hipsters" was even a term.
Doubtful...the word was used as early as the 1940s. Even the modern version of the word was used in a Smashing Pumpkins song circa 1994. Bottle Rocket wasn't even out until two years later.
Old 05-08-12, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Doubtful...the word was used as early as the 1940s. Even the modern version of the word was used in a Smashing Pumpkins song circa 1994. Bottle Rocket wasn't even out until two years later.
Calling people "hipsters" is a pretty new thing. While the idea (and name) may have existed long before, it's only really been a part of everyday vocabulary to describe someone (glasses, rolled up pants, "ironic", etc.) for a few years (at best). I know it was certainly never a term when I was in High School a decade ago.
Old 05-08-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, you're saying the term didn't exist in everyday vocabulary until you heard of it. Gotcha.
Old 05-08-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From my own experiences, I am going to have to agree that 'hipster' is a word that hasn't been used as frequently until recently -- over the past few years. I hear it all the time now but I used to never hear anyone using the word.

I'm not going to try to say the word didn't exist before, but it does seem as though it is much more common today than it ever was before.
Old 05-08-12, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like it was said. The term has been around for a while but never has it ever been used so goddamn much until post 2000.
Old 05-08-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's quite irrelevant when the term came into popular parlance. The point is that the people with hipster attitudes (whatever you actually call them) surely produce a more circular Venn diagram when paired with Wes Anderson movies than with anything else Criterion offers.

The hipster is to the Wes Anderson movie as the chicken is to the egg.
Old 05-08-12, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
It's quite irrelevant when the term came into popular parlance. The point is that the people with hipster attitudes (whatever you actually call them) surely produce a more circular Venn diagram when paired with Wes Anderson movies than with anything else Criterion offers.

The hipster is to the Wes Anderson movie as the chicken is to the egg.
So shouldn't I love Criterion since it makes all the hipsters happy?

Maybe you're just mad not every loves everything Criterion puts out (that the respective studios who owns the film usually has little interest in doing so - because sales would be low). Thankfully there are spine collectors keeping Criterion afloat.
Old 05-08-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I've been enjoying Wes Anderson films before "hipsters" was even a term.
Until your subsequent replies, I really thought you were being intentionally ironic here, because the whole, "I was into XXXX before it was cool!" attitude is a defining characteristic of hipsterism.
Old 05-08-12, 10:58 AM

So shouldn't I love Criterion since it makes all the hipsters happy?

Maybe you're just mad not every loves everything Criterion puts out (that the respective studios who owns the film usually has little interest in doing so - because sales would be low). Thankfully there are spine collectors keeping Criterion afloat.
I see how you still choose to ignore the numerous explanations given in this thread about film rights and how the notion of "respective studios" doesn't apply to most films released by Criterion.

Also, just adding my own two cents in: How would it make sense, financially, for a company like Criterion to spend copious amounts of money restoring a film, researching extras and creating a "deluxe" $40 SRP package for movies with "low sales", and not for other film studios who would probably just put it out there with little-to-no effort at a much lower price point?
Old 05-08-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LPMA
I see how you still choose to ignore the numerous explanations given in this thread about film rights and how the notion of "respective studios" doesn't apply to most films released by Criterion.
I'm guessing that at this point he's just messing with us.
Old 05-08-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LPMA
This is irrelevant, too. Even if we accept his "too unpopular for the studios to bother with" argument, popularity/sales volume does not have a 1:1 relationship with quality.

Besides, his argument completely defeats itself: if all of these movies really had no market fanbase worth bothering with, Criterion would be long out of business.
Old 05-08-12, 12:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The bottom line is that Criterion takes these "marginal movies" that the studios pass over because they wouldn't make a lot of money and they actually make a lot of money selling them. Criterion does a better job exploiting film properties than the very studios who made the films, thus proving how brilliant Criterion is. Anyone or anything that is that brilliant always attracts nuisance haters. A big part of it is resentment for being successful. The frequent lament is that Criterion isn't doing anything right and they succeed only because they blundered into some "spine number collecting phenomenon".
Old 05-08-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

New Hipster movie coming soon!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ocac5Umhb9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-08-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Is that being released in theaters or just Starbucks?
Old 05-08-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Is that being released in theaters or just Starbucks?
Starbucks Criterion on-demand download, straight into your internet-enabled bakelite glasses (lenses optional).
Old 05-08-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ocac5Umhb9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hipster or not this movie looks fucking amazing.
Old 05-08-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I hope this makes it Criterion then:

Old 05-09-12, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss the days when hipsters called each other nihilists.
Old 05-09-12, 07:52 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Take the America BBS set... I've debated all week whether to get it or not. Great value for the films.. I've only seen Easy Rider, which I enjoyed and appreciated. Do I love it in any special way? Not really....so, it's just back to whether I should own a film I merely 'enjoy' or keep it to films I really love.
That set is worth it just for Five Easy Pieces. Or The Last Picture Show. Or The King of Marvin Gardens.
Old 05-09-12, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Elaine calls Kramer one in The Glasses episode of seinfeld (from season 5, also 1994)
Old 05-09-12, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The bottom line is that Criterion takes these "marginal movies" that the studios pass over because they wouldn't make a lot of money and they actually make a lot of money selling them. Criterion does a better job exploiting film properties than the very studios who made the films, thus proving how brilliant Criterion is. Anyone or anything that is that brilliant always attracts nuisance haters. A big part of it is resentment for being successful. The frequent lament is that Criterion isn't doing anything right and they succeed only because they blundered into some "spine number collecting phenomenon".
Wow? They make a lot of money selling them? Oh boy. You have any proof of that or is that just an assumption? Many think they lose money on many releases have to releases 'normal' films just to make it back to even. You realize they have to spend money not only obtaining the films from the respective studios, but cleaning it up, finding extras etc. (In some cases, they still don't look as good as the Studio released one)

But please, break out the sales figures. You tell me how many Criterion Blu-rays have reached the Top 20 for any week since 2008 (since you are the one claiming they make a a lot of money). I mean, Criterion is doing so awesome they sold a huge amount of their catalog to Hulu to stream - with commercials. Yeah, they are making boat loads on selling discs and Amazon regularly sells them for nearly 50% off MSRP just a few weeks after release

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.