HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Old 05-03-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

ahhhhhhhh fuck what the hell did you guys do to this thread? did someone feed him after midnight again?
Old 05-03-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Name some Films that Criterion released that you think aren't very good.
I believe we already have a thread for this, but as far as films they've released on Blu-ray, I didn't care for:

The Last Metro
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Wings of Desire
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Old 05-03-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
ahhhhhhhh fuck what the hell did you guys do to this thread? did someone feed him after midnight again?
You're so right. To get back on topic, I can't wait for Harold and Maude.
Old 05-03-12, 09:12 PM

so how many pages of a thread does a Part II extend to a Part III? - I'm just askin'
Old 05-03-12, 11:29 PM
Banned

till we fucking say so...
Old 05-03-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So... I'm pretty excited about Rosetta coming. I really enjoyed watching the Artificial Eye dvd of it. In addition to Dardenne, I'd really like to see Criterion release some Lukas Moodysson. It would be really, really awesome.
Old 05-04-12, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad there's finally some movement on Heaven's Gate. I'm very curious to see what they'll come up with for cover art.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 05-05-12 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
The simplicity in Cat Stevens songs are an extension of that a straightforward message of do whatever the fuck you want its your life after all.

Its the prototype of Wes Anderson films
Which is its main defect.

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Glad there's finally some movement on Heaven's Gate. I'm very curious to see what they'll come up with for cover art.
I'm glad that Zsigmond's cinematography will finally be given anamorphic justice. Can't say I'm a fan of the film, but the letterboxed MGM DVD was pitiful & Zsigmond deserves better.

I wouldn't want to listen to a 3.5 hour Cimino commentary, though.

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 05-04-12 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Yes, we get it. You don't like foreign films or anything released before 1980. Why continuously harp on it or attempt to insult those with broader and more sophisticated tastes than yours?
His negativity towards blu-ray winning the format war had to go somewhere
Old 05-04-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
In addition to Dardenne, I'd really like to see Criterion release some Lukas Moodysson. It would be really, really awesome.
I agree. Show Me Love and Lilya 4-ever desperately need decent DVD releases - if I recall correctly, both the US and UK versions of the former are non-anamorphic, and the latter is only available in the US through Netflix.
Old 05-04-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Name some Films that Criterion released that you think aren't very good.
I know you were asking Gizmo, but here are the ones I've watched in the past six months or so that I didn't like:

Coup de Grace
I Am Curious: Blue
Drive He Said
A Safe Place
The Honeymoon Killers
La Commare Secca
Bad Timing
Old 05-04-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the most active HD Talk has been in years.
Old 05-04-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Well, according to his previous post, 95% of the stuff Criterion releases is crap. According to Criterion's website, it has 175 Blu-ray releases. Maybe it would be easier to ask him to name the 5% percent he does like. That shouldn't be too hard.
I own:
Bottle Rocket
Darjeeling Limited
Rushmore
Dazed and Confused (left over gift card at Barnes and Noble and literally nothing to buy)

I've owned:
Videodrome
Blowout (meh)

I've seen plenty of films in the Criterion library, aside from the ones above, I have no interest in ever owning them.
Old 05-04-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan View Post
Which is its main defect.

I'm glad that Zsigmond's cinematography will finally be given anamorphic justice. Can't say I'm a fan of the film, but the letterboxed MGM DVD was pitiful & Zsigmond deserves better.

I wouldn't want to listen to a 3.5 hour Cimino commentary, though.
I think some kind of historical commentary would be very interesting, though, one that looked at not just the film but what was going on with the industry in the '70s in general. This movie really changed the studio system in a lot of ways. It certainly changed Cimino's career!
Old 05-04-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But remember kids - people can call other movies crap, but Criterion is the best thing ever and only releases the best movies ever made. EVER! Some of you guys get so bent out of shape that I (and many others) don't enjoy many of the films Criterion releases. Just deal with it. If they were popular enough with the masses they would be released by the respective studios and not pawned off on Criterion. Sorry if the latest Jack Black flick sells more copies than anything Criterion has released. That's what America wants to own, not Bella De Jour or Island of Lost Souls.

Excuse me, I'm going back to watching all these Chuck Norris films I just got at Wal-Mart.
Old 05-04-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
But remember kids - people can call other movies crap, but Criterion is the best thing ever and only releases the best movies ever made. EVER!
Are you enjoying beating up that straw man? It sounds like it. Unfortunately, when you want to come back to reality, you're going to have to accept that nobody here thinks that Criterion is infallible or that they only release great movies.
Some of you guys get so bent out of shape that I (and many others) don't enjoy many of the films Criterion releases. Just deal with it.
It doesn't annoy me that you don't like most of what Criterion releases - it annoys me that you keep making really bad arguments and yet you imagine that you're saying something relevant.

You seem to take a lot of comfort in the idea that most people think like you - in reality, you're actually probably in a small percentage of those who know of the Criterion collection and yet who don't enjoy most of the films they release. That's because Criterion is a specialty label, so they tend to market themselves toward those most likely to be interested in their releases. It's not like the latest Jack Black film, where 95% of the population sees advertisements for it and 10% of them (still a very large number when taking the whole population into account) are interested in it. That's not always the case, of course, but that's generally how these sorts of things work.
If they were popular enough with the masses they would be released by the respective studios and not pawned off on Criterion.
jwstl is right - that is an extraordinarily dumb statement, and it's very telling that you want to repeat it.

Once again, your ignorance is not a compelling argument. You clearly don't know how these movies are distributed - in many cases, these films don't have a "respective studio" in the US, and are in fact owned out right by Janus Films (Criterion's sister company). Overseas, where many of the films were made, they are released on home video by the "respective studios" that made them. What does that show?

In other words, you think you're saying something intelligent, but you're not. Deal with it.
Sorry if the latest Jack Black flick sells more copies than anything Criterion has released. That's what America wants to own, not Bella De Jour or Island of Lost Souls.
You make it sound as if most Americans are aware of the collection, and are making the conscious decision to reject the types of films they release - in reality, that's not the case.

The key factor here is that most Americans don't know of Belle du jour, so they aren't, in fact, choosing one over the other. They're not making an educated decision, but are making decisions based on what Hollywood tells them. Now, if you were to poll those people who know both Belle du jour and Jack Black, you would most likely get different results about what they'd prefer to watch.

Last edited by Sondheim; 05-04-12 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow- Gizmo, it's so priceless that you call Criterion 'hipster' and all of your Criterion discs are Wes Anderson and Richard Linklater movies!
Old 05-04-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
If they were popular enough with the masses they would be released by the respective studios and not pawned off on Criterion.
When has "popular enough with the masses" ever been an indicator of quality?

Next month from The Criterion Collection, the 2011 NASCAR Season Review.
Old 05-04-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Next month from The Criterion Collection, the 2011 NASCAR Season Review.
A Wal-Mart exclusive!
Old 05-04-12, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
till we fucking say so...
I like your thinking
Old 05-04-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who uses the phrase "artsy fartsy" is, by definition, a deeply insecure and self-loathing individual feeling defensive about his low intelligence and horrible taste.

I'm sorry, Gizmo. I don't make these rules. That's just the way things are.
Old 05-04-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Anyone who uses the phrase "artsy fartsy" is, by definition, a deeply insecure and self-loathing individual feeling defensive about his low intelligence and horrible taste.
And anyone who uses the epithet "hipster" after having purchased only the most hipster-associated of its target's products has cancelled himself out of the conversation.
Old 05-04-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
And anyone who uses the epithet "hipster" after having purchased only the most hipster-associated of its target's products has cancelled himself out of the conversation.
But he probably only likes those movies "ironically".
Old 05-04-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hey guys...he liked those movies...BEFORE they were even made
Old 05-04-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Artsy Fartsy!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.