Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 04:02 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I never noticed the suit and tie on the bull on the pic but seeing that along with the still... I'm re-affirming my Talk to Her guess.

Also, probably any catalog title that's not an event film like Jaws or Indiana Jones is up for grabs for Criterion. The studios aren't likely going to release many older titles and I would wager that Criterion will have the largest output of catalog titles of any studio come next year.
Huh? is it just me or is every studio upping the amount of catalog titles they are releasing?
Old 08-19-11, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I just want some Almodovar on Blu-ray, from any distributor!
Volver is available on Blu-ray from Sony.
Old 08-19-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by deluis
Volver is available on Blu-ray from Sony.
So is Broken Embraces.
Old 08-19-11, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Skin I Live In will also most like come from Sony considering Sony is putting it out.
Old 08-19-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bse
Huh? is it just me or is every studio upping the amount of catalog titles they are releasing?
I think PopcornTreeCt is onto something. I don't have hard statistics one way or the other as to numbers of recent catalog releases, but at five years into the format, I have real concern about how much pre-1970's catalog is ultimately going to make it out on BD. (Some might well argue that even the 1970's could end up underrepresented).

Universal (admittedly far from the model of excellence in catalog BD) has not released a single pre-1960 film under their control to Blu-ray disc.

Somewhere earlier in the thread, I mentioned Warner, probably with a better track record at getting catalog titles out than anybody. And even they haven't put many of their black and white library titles out, above and beyond those films named Citizen Kane or which are prominent titles starring Humphrey Bogart. There's Kong and Mutiny on the Bounty and...what else?

Criterion won't be able to obtain and release all the catalog titles one might like, but independent labels like them are our best hope right now for getting whatever we can get.
Old 08-19-11, 08:18 PM

Waltz of the Toreadors?
Old 08-19-11, 08:36 PM
TAC

Can you recommend The Killing as a blind buy? I like alot of Kubrick but not all. But, im ready to pull the trigger. thanks
Old 08-19-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TAC
Can you recommend The Killing as a blind buy? I like alot of Kubrick but not all. But, im ready to pull the trigger. thanks
do you like film noir? if so then YES. otherwise if you're expecting THE SHINING or 2001 or CLOCKWORK ORANGE then i'd suggest a rental. regardless it's an awesome heist film.
Old 08-19-11, 09:36 PM

The Killing is an awesome movie and as a bonus you get a 2nd Kubrick movie in HD as well (which is pretty good itself).
Old 08-20-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blu-ray.com review of If
Old 08-22-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ummmm criterion just posted a GOJIRA film canister on their facebook...

Old 08-22-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
ummmm criterion just posted a GOJIRA film canister on their facebook...
That's not a big shocker - they did release it on laserdisc, and the Burr version is on their Hulu page. I'd buy it for sure - a Criterion DVD of Gojira would be an improvement on the Classic Media Blu-ray.
Old 08-22-11, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was about to post that. I...I don't know how to react to this. That's pretty damn awesome. Considering Sony didn't really show off this title. OMFG. The image was in bad shape on the BD from the looks of it. The DVD was good...but it was DVD. Can't wait to see this from CC.
Old 08-22-11, 08:52 PM

The good folks over at badassdigest.com are starting a regular Criterion Collection feature, and their first entry features some interesting topics (including a little ridicule for all the TINY FURNITURE haters that came out of the woodwork when it was announced as an upcoming Criterion title). My favorite topic was the speculation on what title Criterion will be honoring with their #600 spine. Give it a read, its pretty cool. Hope they keep it up!

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/08/...-and-spine-600
Old 08-23-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would certainly be awesome if Criterion managed to release Gojira on Blu. It would HAVE to be better than the current Blu-Ray for it...
Old 08-23-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pants have just been shit.

I very much want Gojira on BD from them.
Old 08-23-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I haven't bought a Criterion in years, and none on Bluray. I would be all over this.
Old 08-23-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RE The Three Colors triology, came across this review preview:

"The Three Colors Trilogy had a fair amount of extras on its previous Miramax DVD release, most of which are carried over (including cinema lessons from the director, interviews, and docs), with the exception of the old commentaries with Annette Insdorf. Added in Criterion’s new box set are freshly-recorded interviews, video essays, and vintage Kieślowski shorts (as well as one he acted in but didn’t direct)."

Has anyone heard these commentaries and is this a significant loss, or a tolerable one in light of the upgrade? TIA
Old 08-23-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't listened to the commentaries but I loved the interviews with Kieslowski. I'll definitely have to check them out soon as I planned on selling my box set.
Old 08-24-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

The Insdorf commentaries are very good as she seems to be the biggest authority on Kieslowski. This is something you would expect on a Criterion release and ignored by Miramax - so it's odd that it winds up being the othe way around.

I doubt I'd listen to the commentaries again anyways, so it's not a major loss to me. I think the upgrade in quality far outweighs the absence of the commentaries - as supplements aren't very important to me. You can always rent the DVDs to hear the commenataries anyways - would you need to listen to them more than once?
Old 08-24-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
That's not a big shocker - they did release it on laserdisc,
Although Criterion announced a Laserdisc edition of Gojira, there was a rights dispute with Toho at the last minute, and the release was canceled.
Old 08-24-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
RE The Three Colors triology, came across this review preview:

"The Three Colors Trilogy had a fair amount of extras on its previous Miramax DVD release, most of which are carried over (including cinema lessons from the director, interviews, and docs), with the exception of the old commentaries with Annette Insdorf. Added in Criterion’s new box set are freshly-recorded interviews, video essays, and vintage Kieślowski shorts (as well as one he acted in but didn’t direct)."

Has anyone heard these commentaries and is this a significant loss, or a tolerable one in light of the upgrade? TIA
First off, I have to acknowledge that I'm not a fan of the Three Colors Trilogy to begin with. So keep that in perspective. With that said, I found the Insdorf commentaries to be insufferably awful from start to finish. When I reviewed the DVD set back in the day, this is what I wrote:

To start, all three movies contain feature-length audio commentaries by Annette Insdorf, who was Kieslowski's English translator, and as she relates it also his best friend and closest working companion in the whole world. Her approach to the commentary format is to treat it like a Symbolism for Dummies lecture, pointing out each and every instance of pretentious film language as they appear on screen. In the case of Blue, this means calling our attention to every usage of the color blue in the whole movie. I can tell you right now, every single shot in the movie contains the color blue. And she points out every last one. This grows tedious very quickly. Insdorf ingratiates herself throughout the supplements on these three discs, and either you will find her enormously insightful or you will rapidly grow to despise her. Can you guess which camp I'm in?
Old 08-24-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

So, which camp were you in?

Old 08-24-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Although Criterion announced a Laserdisc edition of Gojira, there was a rights dispute with Toho at the last minute, and the release was canceled.
Ah, interesting. Apparently Criterion was set to release a six-film Godzilla box.
Old 08-24-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First mentioned back in '08, but it looks as if Criterion will finally be issuing Hellman's The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind. From this interview:

Q: You were very involved in the Criterion edition of your film, "Two-Lane Blacktop." In fact, you conducted and produced the interviews with Kris Kristofferson and James Taylor for the "Two-Lane Blacktop" disc.

A: I did about four pieces for the DVD and that was a lot of fun. In fact, I'm going to be doing similar things for Criterion releases of my two Jack Nicholson westerns, "The Shooting" and "Ride in the Whirlwind."

Q: That's a scoop! Criterion hasn't even announced these discs.

A: They're a ways off. We haven't even closed the deal yet but we've talked about it and basically agreed. They're not going to be doing it until sometime in 2012.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.