Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

12 Angry Men was definitely a surprise. And while we are on the subject of covers, 12 Angry Men is my least favorite of this group. But I never let the cover stop from buying and it looks like I'll be buying all of November's releases on Blu.

I'm glad the Three Colors Trilogy has a mid November release date. It should fall within the B&N sale should there be one in November this year.
Old 08-15-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Oh, and the new Rules cover is shit.
I see where Criterion is coming from - the New Yorker-style cover plays up the satiric, comedic elements of the film, but the original cover was so cool and elegant they should have just left it alone, and perhaps used the Sorel illustration in the booklet or something.
Old 08-15-11, 04:53 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeh I second the sentiment of Criteiron needs to relesae films that aren't on DVD yet in America. We need good versions of Bunuel's Mexican years, the rest of Antonioni's catalog, as well as more Visconti.
Old 08-15-11, 05:04 PM

Where is the dead presidents criteron blu-ray it was pressed on Laser Disc but never DVD any news on release?
Old 08-15-11, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I posted this on the Amazon bargains thread, but thought I'd put this here as well.

Just an FYI, looks like some (or all?) of tomorrow's lightning deals will be Criterion. Per the Amazon FB Movies & TV FB page:

Cinephiles and film geeks! Don't miss out on an awesome Criterion event starting tomorrow, 8/16 at 6am. We'll be featuring four 4-hour lightning deals of Criterion favorites, just in time for the new Kubrick release, "The Killing".
Old 08-15-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I posted this on the Amazon bargains thread, but thought I'd put this here as well.

Just an FYI, looks like some (or all?) of tomorrow's lightning deals will be Criterion. Per the Amazon FB Movies & TV FB page:

Cinephiles and film geeks! Don't miss out on an awesome Criterion event starting tomorrow, 8/16 at 6am. We'll be featuring four 4-hour lightning deals of Criterion favorites, just in time for the new Kubrick release, "The Killing".
I'm there. Don't know if their prices will rival the B&N sale, but I'm armed and dangerous with some gift certificates, so if it's something I want and within a few bucks of what I'd pay for it on sale, I'll be jumping.

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-15-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've already got everything, but it would be great to pick up a few pre-orders at 50% off, though I doubt any will be included.
Old 08-15-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

November looks excellent, in for all except Rushmore.
Old 08-15-11, 06:58 PM

Just finished reading the releases for Nov and am excited about 12 angry men a great crime/courtroom drama, I just got finished watching another crime drama in Mississippi Burning. Does anyone think that this MGM title should have a spot on our Criterion Shelves like I do? Great movie, respected director, great cast, shitty DVD editions, and chances for tones of extras with real news footage-interviews with the director and cast-a great essay by a civil rights historian-etc. Just couldn't get by the possibilities with this one.

any thoughts
Old 08-15-11, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well, Criterion did pick this up. That in itself speaks volumes about this movie. Ill be getting this day 1.
Old 08-15-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
It depends on how you define classic. If you mean the few hundred films that constantly show up on things like the AFI list and the top few hundred of the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They list, then I agree - a large majority of those are now available in decent quality releases somewhere in the world.

However, if you look through something like Jonathan Rosenbaum's Top 1000, or the latter half of the They Shoot Pictures list (or once you try to watch, say, some early works of German cinema), you'll realize that there are a ton of great (though not always well known) films that have never been available on good quality DVD. And they're not all hard to watch, overly "artsy" films - a lot of them are just as "accessible" (as in easy to watch and appreciate) as a lot of the established classics, but have happened to fall outside of the canon for one reason or another (often only due to lack of availability.)
Yeah I meant the more popular lists. Reading through Rosenbaum's list... yeah quite a bit of interesting titles.
Old 08-15-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyMac1986
Just finished reading the releases for Nov and am excited about 12 angry men a great crime/courtroom drama, I just got finished watching another crime drama in Mississippi Burning. Does anyone think that this MGM title should have a spot on our Criterion Shelves like I do? Great movie, respected director, great cast, shitty DVD editions, and chances for tones of extras with real news footage-interviews with the director and cast-a great essay by a civil rights historian-etc. Just couldn't get by the possibilities with this one.

any thoughts
I enjoyed Mississippi Burning quite a bit. The DVD appears to be out of print. Don't know if that's indication of anything but it could happen.
Old 08-15-11, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
Yeh I second the sentiment of Criteiron needs to relesae films that aren't on DVD yet in America. We need good versions of Bunuel's Mexican years, the rest of Antonioni's catalog, as well as more Visconti.
Criterion releases 'big' titles like Rushmore, Dazed and Confused, Fear and loathing etc. so they can have the money to fund some of the smaller, much more niche titles. I know it pisses people off that they release 'big' films that already have a DVD (or even a blu-ray) release, but those releases help them with the smaller ones. Rushmore is a sure seller, and will likely sell the best out of the Nov list. I'm a minority in this thread as I find most of what they release to be artsty-fartsy flicks with an incredibly small fanbase. Reading other forums there is lots of hate over Rushmore getting picked over another Chaplin flick, but the DVD is somewhere near 12 years old.
Old 08-15-11, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Well, Criterion did pick this up. That in itself speaks volumes about this movie. Ill be getting this day 1.
I was wondering where it was you found this list of MGM titles that the Criterion Collection has picked up, I have tried several avenues and haven't been able to locate anything.

There are several different MGM titles that I would love to see on the Criterion list of upcoming titles.

thanks
Old 08-15-11, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12 angry men?! Fucking awesome, man.
Old 08-15-11, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
12 angry men?! Fucking awesome, man.
This. I'm not the "need so-and-so obscure title from norway or im not happy" criterion fan so this movie is one of my most highly-wanted films. The fact CC got it is icing on the cake.
Old 08-15-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

In for:

Rushmore
Trois Couleurs
Regle du Jeu
Old 08-16-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Criterion releases 'big' titles like Rushmore, Dazed and Confused, Fear and loathing etc. so they can have the money to fund some of the smaller, much more niche titles. I know it pisses people off that they release 'big' films that already have a DVD (or even a blu-ray) release, but those releases help them with the smaller ones. Rushmore is a sure seller, and will likely sell the best out of the Nov list.
As someone "complaining" about the lack of "surprise" titles, I can safely say that I've never felt pissed off by Criterion's release patterns. As I said in a previous post, in an ideal world I would like to see more previously unavailable films enter the collection on a more frequent basis - but that doesn't stop me from appreciating what they, and other labels like Masters of Cinema and Kino, are doing.

I love Anderson, and will certainly pick up "Rushmore" in HD (along with all the other great releases of the month.)
I'm a minority in this thread as I find most of what they release to be artsty-fartsy flicks with an incredibly small fanbase.
I don't really understand this, as there's a large number of titles in the collection covering a wide variety of genres and styles. They've released almost the entire oeuvre of Kurosawa, as well as a fair number of films from other directors like Jean Renoir, Fritz Lang, Yasujiro Ozu, Samuel Fuller, Jean-Pierre Melville, Seijun Suzuki, Henri-Georges Cluozot, and Jules Dassin - just to name a few directors who weren't considered particularly "artsy-fartsy" in their day and who could only be considered such now because they're old and foreign. They have released a fair number of films from more self-consciously "artsy" directors, like Bergman, Godard, and Bresson - but all those are still pretty well known in the arthouse world (Bergman and Godard, in particular, are iconic, and adored by a certain relatively large subset of the arthouse community.)

The truly obscure releases, like "Symbiopsychotaxiplasm" or "The Human Condition" or "Il Posto" take up a relatively small portion of the collection. And in the case of relatively unknown, but incredible and accessible masterpieces like "Il Posto" and "I Fidanzati" - their "incredibly small fanbase" says more about the vagaries of the canon and canonmaking, and how it inevitably keeps certain deserving films and directors overshadowed, than it does about the quality of the films.

And as for this month - the Kieslowski trilogy is a "smash" in the arthouse world. "12 Angry Men" is an iconic piece of classic Hollywood filmmaking. "The Rules of the Game" and "Fanny and Alexander" are both widely considered among the greatest films of all time.

As for the "incredibly small fanbase" part - I don't think anyone has ever believed that any Criterion release would ever sell as much as any blockbuster, or even as much as most Academy Awards fare. They are, in fact, targeting a pretty small niche. I'm just not sure how meaningful it is to point that out. Are people posting in this thread supposed to temper their excitement about upcoming releases because of the knowledge that most people in the world aren't also excited?

Because as posters on a site dedicated to DVD collecting I'd imagine most here are already pretty well aware that most of the general population does not share their interest in most things related to DVD, including Criterion films (and horror films and foreign cinema in general, and so on.) I know it's true of Masters of Cinema, and it's probably also true for some of Criterion's more "obscure" titles, that some of their releases are hard-pressed to sell even a few thousand copies. But if you want to talk about truly small fanbases, you'd have to look at companies like First Run Features or Second Run, who release even more obscure titles that almost certainly sell far fewer copies than most anything from MoC or Criterion - and yet they somehow sell enough to justify continuing. It helps that many of their releases, as with Criterion and MoC, are fantastic, and have quickly ranked among my all-time favorite films, "incredibly small fanbase" or not.

With that said, I think you do overstate the "smallness" of the fanbase of most of Criterion's films. Most people with interest or classic foreign cinema on DVD (a pretty small percentage of the overall population, admittedly) are probably at least familiar with the collection. And among that group of fans of foreign cinema, most of them are probably at least aware of those titles and directors I listed above - there are lots of fans, in relation to other "arthouse" directors, of films by Kurosawa and Kieslowski and Renoir and Bergman. For those of us who do happen to be fans of arthouse cinema, companies like Criterion and Masters of Cinema are a godsend - regardless of how many other people may feel so.
Old 08-16-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by StephenX
This. I'm not the "need so-and-so obscure title from norway or im not happy" criterion fan so this movie is one of my most highly-wanted films. The fact CC got it is icing on the cake.
I actually demand that all their releases be of Slovenian, East Timorese, or Ivorian films - otherwise Sondheim will become quite an angry fellow.
Old 08-16-11, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
There are films where it's an absolute given they will be updated at some point (Rules being one I figured they would do sooner or later, although I decided to grab the standard DVD at the current price, and if I decide to, I can wait for the next B&N sale for the Blu-Ray). But there have been some odd picks, too. I mean everybody was expecting films like Seven Samurai, The 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal, Videodrome, etc, at some point. How many were expecting My Life As A Dog, Fat Girl, or Yi Yi to come out this soon, especially over other films in the collection?
Those "surprise picks" are fun. They're another thing that makes waiting for the monthly announcements exciting.

I see the CC just keeps teasing the November titles. Wonder what else they have up their sleeve. Guess we will find out tomorrow!
Oh I don't have anything against surprise picks. It keeps us on our toes, so to speak. I may raise my eyebrow at the fact that we've seen Fat Girl released on Blu-Ray before, say, Bicycle Thieves, but in the end, it's their company, and out of the films they have access to, they can release what they want.

Concerning the new announcements, I'm quite pleased. 12 Angry Men was a complete surprise, and I'm happy to purchase it on Blu, along with everything else this month...
Old 08-16-11, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12 ANGRY MEN is a nice surprise!
Old 08-16-11, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will take all these, great month
Old 08-16-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review of Cul-de-sac
Old 08-16-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
12 ANGRY MEN is a nice surprise!
I've never owned a copy of this, so I'm especially excited. I love unexpected titles showing up.
Old 08-16-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I keep reading that Rushmore will be a new cut. I guess I need to hang onto my dvd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.