Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 08-26-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I'm surprised this exchange between you two is taking place. The U.S. Cut of Godzilla might be many things it shouldn't have been, but Matthew is right that it holds a place in history, regardless of its merit, and I feel Criterion's package would be incomplete without its inclusion. Especially given the recent fine-grain print that has been uncovered.

Doctorossi, you strike me less as someone who's a Godzilla fan and more as someone who desperately wants to see every film presented in its original state. I don't see a problem with that, but many films have different edits that have become familiar, even preferred, to fans around the world, and dismissing one as notable as Godzilla, King of the Monsters seems foolish.
Old 08-26-11, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The argument of not including the US cut of Godzilla is ridiculous. It's relevant to cinema history. That's why it's in there. It's not the main course of the release. It's a great add-on to the release.
Old 08-26-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I don't see a problem with that, but many films have different edits that have become familiar, even preferred, to fans around the world, and dismissing one as notable as Godzilla, King of the Monsters seems foolish.
I'm not dismissing it; I'm just noting that, to me, its inclusion doesn't seem very "Criterion".
Old 08-26-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
The argument of not including the US cut of Godzilla is ridiculous.
Making it into an argument would indeed be ridiculous. I, on the other hand, am just musing, "Hmm... seems a questionable inclusion for a Criterion release, to me."

It's relevant to cinema history.
Lots of things are "relevant" to cinema history. That doesn't necessarily make them appropriate to a Criterion edition of a film.
Old 08-26-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I'm not dismissing it; I'm just noting that, to me, its inclusion doesn't seem very "Criterion".
You know what's not very Criterion?

Get over it.
Old 08-26-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You know what's not very Criterion?
Of course there have been movies they've released over the years that not everyone agrees are of the right quality, but that's entirely subjective and those movies are presented with the respect to their creators' intentions that all movies deserve.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Get over it.
There's nothing to "get over". Cool the rhetoric and drop the personal inference, please.
Old 08-26-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Sorry, Matthew has a valid point. An alternate version of a cinema classic (and not some piece of cut-for-TV hackery, but something with a solid cinema experience like the US version of Godzilla) is a far better choice for Criterion than a Michael Bay explosion fest (that wasn't even 16x9!!).
Old 08-26-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. As you're aware, there is precedence for them to release multiple versions of a film in the collection, and I would see the U.S. cut of Godzilla as almost essential to any such edition. You can't argue that it doesn't hold any historical value to the Godzilla series, and certainly to the fans. I agree Gojira should be the "hero" of the release, but as a Godzilla fan I would fully expect the U.S. cut to be a headlining supplement. Especially since little material exists to cull for bonus materials. We won't be seeing an extensive making-of with behind-the-scenes footage or a commentary from Honda, Tsuburaya and Tanaka anytime soon.
Old 08-26-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Considering Criterion included that unbelievably butchered version of Brazil in its boxset, I think the inclusion of a culturally important cut of a film like the U.S. version of Godzilla is perfectly "Criterion." It's right there in their little motto: "A continuing series of important classic and contemporary films." I think the U.S. version of Godzilla qualifies as an important classic to many people.
Old 08-26-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Les Cousins
Old 08-26-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The argument of not including the US cut of Godzilla is ridiculous. It's relevant to cinema history. That's why it's in there. It's not the main course of the release. It's a great add-on to the release.
Indeed. They included the "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil in that set so it's not like there's no history of Criterion including a studio bastardized version. It's a bonus feature and an important part of film history; even if the film itself is trash.
Old 08-26-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
Indeed. They included the "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil in that set so it's not like there's no history of Criterion including a studio bastardized version.
The Criterion Blu-ray release of "M" also includes a recently-discovered print of an English-language version of the movie that uses alternate takes of some of the performances (and a couple of reshoots with entirely different actors). It's even slightly condensed and edited differently. The best available information suggests that Fritz Lang had no involvement with this version of the movie.

The inclusion of the American version of Godzilla alongside the Japanese version is a perfectly "Criterion" thing to do. Both versions are significant to cinema history.
Old 08-29-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on 3 Women
Old 09-04-11, 09:16 AM
Banned

Blu-ray.com review of Carlos
Old 09-05-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Le Beau Serge
Old 09-09-11, 09:50 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Edgar Wright just posted on Twitter that he just completed a top 10 list for the Criterion site, I can't wait to see that.
Old 09-10-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com review of The Complete Jean Vigo
Old 09-12-11, 03:07 PM
Banned

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHBVH6ut2k8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-13-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone want to wager what the final (likely two) titles of 2011 will be? I'm thinking a Wild Strawberries upgrade and either Following or Y Tu Mama Tambien. There's also The Game, but I'd think that would get a higher profile release month than December.
Old 09-13-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Anyone want to wager what the final (likely two) titles of 2011 will be? I'm thinking a Wild Strawberries upgrade and either Following or Y Tu Mama Tambien. There's also The Game, but I'd think that would get a higher profile release month than December.
Although, this December seems like a good month to release a David Fincher title.
Old 09-13-11, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Fanny and Alexander is coming out in November, so Wild Strawberries seems unlikely. I think that would be the third Bergman film of the year...seems somewhat unlikely.
Old 09-13-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Fanny and Alexander is coming out in November, so Wild Strawberries seems unlikely. I think that would be the third Bergman film of the year...seems somewhat unlikely.
Good point, I had forgotten about Fanny and Alexander. Perhaps Design for Living in it's place?
Old 09-13-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I think that would be the third Bergman film of the year...seems somewhat unlikely.
...although, to be fair, we have gotten three Louis Malle films in the space of, what, three months? Since Bergman is more of a marquee draw, I can definitely see them wanting to space those out, but Criterion doesn't seem completely averse to putting out a lot of work by one director in quick succession.
Old 09-13-11, 08:24 PM
Banned

Yeah, w/ The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo coming out in December...The Game would be good timing. Also...I'd love to finally see wtf CC did w/ YTMT
Old 09-14-11, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...although, to be fair, we have gotten three Louis Malle films in the space of, what, three months? Since Bergman is more of a marquee draw, I can definitely see them wanting to space those out, but Criterion doesn't seem completely averse to putting out a lot of work by one director in quick succession.
For me, it's the fact that Fanny and Alexander comes out the month before and December is a notoriously slow Criterion month. The three in a year thing is maybe less important.

Of course, anything is possible, and I hope my assumptions are wrong because Bergman is my favorite director. Can't wait to watch Fanny and Alexander on Blu, when it's cold outside. Seems perfect.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.