Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray release announcements - Part IV

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray release announcements - Part IV

Old 02-10-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blu-ray release announcements - Part IV

The Digital Bits says "Teen Wolf" will hit BD on March 9. Retail price is $19.99. Awesome news!
Old 02-10-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blu-ray.com
According to a report from Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits.com, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in conjunction with MGM Home Entertainment will release All Dogs Go to Heaven, All Dogs Go to Heaven 2, Picture This, The Secret of NIMH, Material Girls, Teen Wolf and Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde for Blu-ray on March 29th. Additionally, they will release the Norman Jewison musical Fiddler on the Roof for Blu-ray a week later on April 5th.
Old 02-10-11, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Some of those might be retailer exclusive. MGM is just to best.

(I'll grab NuMH and Teen Wolf)
Old 02-10-11, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The Digital Bits says "Teen Wolf" will hit BD on March 9. Retail price is $19.99. Awesome news!
Early considering the TV Show is not till June. Figured they might try and tie that in...guess making sense is not in MGMs cards.
Old 02-10-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
The Secret of NIMH
Old 02-11-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Miramax Blu-ray to Be Distributed by Lionsgate in the US

"While commenting on the distribution agreement just announced between Miramax, Lionsgate and Studiocanal, Miramax CEO Mike Lang revealed that upcoming titles include all three films in the Scream franchise, tying in with the theatrical release of Scream 4 (due out April 15). Pulp Fiction, in turn, will come out in June."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5874
Old 02-16-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Somewhere - 4/19
The Scent of Green Papaya - 4/26
The Cincinnati Kid - 6/14
Old 02-16-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The Scent of Green Papaya - 4/26
Wow, really surprised about that one. Good stuff.
Old 02-23-11, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by blu-ray.com
Warner Home Video has announced Grand Prix for Blu-ray release on May 24. This 1966 racing-themed action movie, starring James Garner and Eva-Marie Saint, was directed by John Frankenheimer and spectacularly shot on 65mm. It had been released in 2006 on the defunct HD DVD format.

Special features include:
Featurettes:
Pushing the Limit: The Making of Grand Prix
Flat Out: Formula One in the Sixties
The Style and Sound of Speed
Brands Hatch: Chasing the Checkered Flag
Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions
Theatrical trailer
Old 02-23-11, 07:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yes! My last HD-DVD I've been dying to get replaced by a BD copy of. Which is good since I haven't pulled out the HD-DVD player in about a year.
Old 02-23-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Yes! My last HD-DVD I've been dying to get replaced by a BD copy of. Which is good since I haven't pulled out the HD-DVD player in about a year.
By contrast, I use my HD-DVD player more than my BD player (because I use it for DVDs). I have no plans to replace Gran Prix or any other of my HD DVDs with the equivalent BDs.

Nevertheless, this is good news for those who have BD only and want to watch Gran Prix in high def. It was quite the "event movie" when it was released in 1966. I saw it on a Cinerama screen in SF.
Old 02-23-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
By contrast, I use my HD-DVD player more than my BD player (because I use it for DVDs). I have no plans to replace Gran Prix or any other of my HD DVDs with the equivalent BDs.

Nevertheless, this is good news for those who have BD only and want to watch Gran Prix in high def. It was quite the "event movie" when it was released in 1966. I saw it on a Cinerama screen in SF.
So far I've the only HD DVD I've replaced was Batman Begins with the $5 Black Friday sale at Wal mart.

If this is the same movie, i remember seeing this on network TV back in the stone-ages. In the late 60's we still had a black and white TV. Will definately check it out as a rental at least.
Old 02-23-11, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
And some titles had a noticeable step DOWN in quality moving to Blu-ray (like Apollo 13 and The Thing)
Old 02-23-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

Supernatural season two makes its bluray debut june 14th.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sup...-Blu-ray/15054

All dvd extras are included plus, new interviews for the devils road map feature, simliar to the season one bluray.
Old 02-24-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Three Sophia Loren films on 5/3 from Fox Lorber:

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
Marriage Italian Style
Sunflower
Old 02-24-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gettysburg and Gods And Generals 5/24

Gettysburg is a definite. Wasn't so fond of GAG
Old 02-24-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Three Sophia Loren films on 5/3 from Fox Lorber:

Marriage Italian Style
Sunflower
Wow! That is totally unexpected news. These will definitely be must-own releases if treated properly. For those unfamiliar with these, they are also notable as important Vittorio De Sica films.
Old 02-24-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
Wow! That is totally unexpected news. These will definitely be must-own releases if treated properly. For those unfamiliar with these, they are also notable as important Vittorio De Sica films.
Sorry, those are coming not from Fox Lorber but from Kino Lorber - guess they joined forces when I wasn't looking. In typical Kino style, the only extra on any of them is a full-length De Sica doc on Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. Here's the press release:
Spoiler:
LORBER FILMS ANNOUNCES BLU-RAY EDITIONS RELEASE OF THREE SOPHIA LOREN FILMS - PLUS A 4-DVD BOX SET.
New York, NY - February 23, 2011 - Lorber Films is proud to announce the Blu-ray release of three Sophia Loren films: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (in a special two-disc set with the documentary Vittorio D.), Marriage Italian Style, and Sunflower.

This marks the first time that these films are available on Blu-ray, and Lorber Films is proud to make them available in stunning new HD transfers. The Blu-ray edition of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (with Vittorio D.), is priced at $34.95, while the Blu-ray editions of Marriage Italian Style and Sunflower are priced at $29.95 each.

The four films are available on DVD as a special four-disc set (Sophia Loren Award Collection), priced at $49.95. And while the films are available separately on Blu-ray, Lorber Films is not selling the DVDs individually, outside the box set. Each disc comes with special features, including trailers and stills galleries. The discs are available for prebook on April 5, 2011, and the street date for each is May 3.

Winner of the Best Foreign Film Oscar at the 1965 Academy Awards, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow is a sparklingly original comedy that casts Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren in three different stories set throughout Italy. In Naples, they are poor but resourceful, selling black market cigarettes on the streets. In Milan, Loren is costumed in Christian Dior and debates her preference for a Rolls Royce or her husband. And in Rome, Mastroianni is an industry scion who helps Loren's prostitute set a wavering priest back onto the spiritual plane.

This episode features Sophia's famous striptease, which was recreated 30 years later in Robert Altman's Ready To Wear. Witty and unforgettable, this gem from master filmmaker Vittorio de Sica (Two Women, Marriage Italian Style) is picture-postcard beautiful and effortlessly hilarious.

Also featured in this special 2-disc set is Vittorio D., a documentary on the life and legacy of the great director (and frequent Loren collaborator) that offers fascinating interviews with Woody Allen, Clint Eastwood, Mike Leigh and many others.

Special 2-disc set:

Disc 1:
Trailers
Stills Gallery

Disc 2:
Vittorio D., a feature-length documentary about Vittorio DeSica
Galleries

Italy / 1963 / 118 min. / Color / Italian w/English subtitles / 16:9

Marriage Italian Style

One of the most famous, and funniest, Italian comedies of all time, Marriage Italian Style received nominations for Best Foreign Film, and Best Actress for Sophia Loren, at the Academy Awards. Marcello Mastroianni co-stars as the irrepressibly carnal businessman Domenico, who discovers Loren's Filumena as a young prostitute and keeps her as his mistress and confidante. When he chooses to marry a young cashier instead of her, Filumena is furious, and resorts to a series of wild and hilarious ruses to win back his hand. Directed by the great Vittorio De Sica (The Bicycle Thief), Marriage Italian Style is a timelessly bawdy classic.

Extras include:
Trailers
Theatrical Promo
Stills Gallery

Italy / 1964 / 101 min. / Color / Italian w/English subtitles / 16:9

Sunflower

An Oscar nominee for Best Score (Henry Mancini), Sunflower is a grandly emotional melodrama featuring a stunning performance from Sophia Loren. In another of the actress's great collaborations with director Vittorio De Sica (The Bicycle Thief), Loren plays Giovanna, a steel-willed Italian woman on a desperate search to find her husband Antonio (Marcello Mastroianni), who has gone missing on the WWII battlefields of Russia. Making the grueling overland journey years after the end of the war, she tracks Antonio down and finds him a changed man. This heart-wrenching reunion will forever alter the course of their lives. Full of stunning images and powerful acting, Sunflower is a devastating romantic epic you won't soon forget.

Extras include:
Theatrical Promo
Stills Gallery

Italy / 1970 / 107 min. / Color / Italian w/English subtitles / 16:9
Old 02-24-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
And some titles had a noticeable step DOWN in quality moving to Blu-ray (like Apollo 13 and The Thing)
To be fair those taking a step down are in the small minority of titles. Most of them have no improvement or drop in quality, while a small amount are better.
Old 02-24-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April 5th

Lars and the Real Girl
Benny & Joon
Old 02-24-11, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
To be fair those taking a step down are in the small minority of titles. Most of them have no improvement or drop in quality, while a small amount are better.
Absolutely.

i just mentioned that to show a there are still a few Blu-rays which are inferior.
Old 02-24-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
April 5th
Lars and the Real Girl
Nice surprise... this one came out when I stopped buying DVD's, so I've held out awhile.
Old 02-25-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blue Crush and it's DTV sequel are coming on 6/7
Old 03-02-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Romeo and Juliet (1954) - 4/26
Old 03-03-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Coming on 4/5:

Mystic Pizza
Lars & The Real Girl
Benny & Joon
De-Lovely
Much Ado About Nothing

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...for_April/6434

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.