Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray release announcements - Part IV

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray release announcements - Part IV

Old 12-13-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Blu-ray release announcements - Part IV

From http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43921 :

I caught the very end of Peter Jackson's Reel Time on Cinemagic interview and he said that he is currently restoring his early films for Blu-Ray releases. He didn't drop titles or potential release dates, but I imagine he was talking about his first 3 films. I can't wait for MEET THE FEEBLES in 1080p (especially since it has never had a decent dvd release).
Old 12-14-09, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Not "official" but I heard Universal is going to release Tremors on Blu-ray in March to tie-in to the TV series finally hitting DVD. A good match and hopefully it's not the mess that it was on HD DVD.
And I was right:
http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYNorthAmerica.html
March 9th

Old 12-14-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Fan is coming out on DVD in January, has there been any word on Big Fan hitting blu ray? I don't normally ask, but I see Amazon has a listing for it.
Old 12-15-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Criterion has Days of Heaven, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro coming on March 23rd.

All of these should be GREAT releases, especially Days of Heaven. Holy balls that's gonna look sick.
Old 12-15-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's tough to get excited about 2011 when it's not even 2010 yet but they have some great catalog titles lined up

So let's start with what we think are the most exciting developments first. Based on information gathered from scores of industry sources over the last few months, we have strong reason to believe that Lucasfilm and Paramount are planning to bow the classic Indiana Jones Trilogy on Blu-ray in 2010, followed by at least some or all of the Star Wars films in 2011 (either the classic or prequel trilogies... or possibly even the long-awaited complete saga box set). As we've already been reporting for a while now, Fox's Alien Anthology box set is also due in 2010. And with the two Hobbit films due in 2011 and 2012, it's reasonable to assume that The Lord of the Rings: Extended Editions will be out on Blu-ray by the end of 2012 as well. One can also expect that the studios are going to try to capitalize on the DVD/3-D Blu-ray release of James Cameron's Avatar (sometime next year) to bow other Cameron catalog films in HD, so possibilities could include The Abyss, True Lies and even Titanic. What's more, in addition to the Indy films, our sources say that you're very likely to see key additional Spielberg catalog films arrive on Blu-ray in 2010 and 2011, as the director is a major supporter of the format. Word is that Jaws, the Jurassic Park films, War of the Worlds, Minority Report and Saving Private Ryan are all possible suspects. We also know that Apollo 13 is coming to BD early next year from Universal (April will be the 40th anniversary of the original NASA mission), and with the original Back to the Future film celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2010, don't be surprised to see at least one (if not all) of those films as well. And that doesn't even begin to include all of the vintage classics being prepared by Warner, Sony and other studios for BD release - including Ben-Hur, The African Queen, Lawrence of Arabia and others - nor the classic Disney animated features already announced for release in 2010 and beyond. Bottom line... the next few years are going to be HUGE for major catalog titles on Blu-ray. So start saving up your money now, folks
Old 12-15-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily count on Avatar in 3D next year. Cameron strikes me as just too much of a perfectionist to allow it to be seen in anaglyph. I think he'll want to wait for the real 3D format (as I suspect Pixar is doing as well).
Old 12-15-09, 09:51 PM
Suspended

3D on BD will not be ready by the time Avatar hits (unless they hold it back). They still have yet to figure out Managed Copy.
Old 12-15-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I guess it should be noted that the above was from The Digital Bits. But yeah, if we can knock out the Alien, Indy, JP and BTTF franchises next yr that'd be awesome.
Old 12-16-09, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how Bill Hunt had to throw in the "Speilberg is a major supporter of the format" again.......and again and again.
Old 12-16-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

It will be really easy to not even bother upgrading on the catalog titles from Universal if they are the combo flippers.
Old 12-16-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Really looking forward to Bad Taste in HD. Hopefully Jackson can record a commentary for it because of his early films, it's my favorite.

"I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!"

I cherished even the meager 30-minute featurette that came with the Limited Edition DVD.
Old 12-16-09, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Reaper
I like how Bill Hunt had to throw in the "Speilberg is a major supporter of the format" again.......and again and again.
Yes, he sure is! Close Encounters sold so great on Blu-ray (it didn't, and Sony could have released it without his approval like Warner did with Gremlins/Poltergeist) and Indy 4 was such an awesome movie we should feel blessed to get it on Blu-ray! People talk like that when your on a certain payroll. Much like how "more than half the combo's I tried on HD DVD didn't work!" line he spouted off a few weeks ago. Just read, and move on.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12-16-09 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just read, and move on.
That's good advice. I am presently applying it to your post.
Old 12-16-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, he sure is! Close Encounters sold so great on Blu-ray (it didn't, and Sony could have released it without his approval like Warner did with Gremlins/Poltergeist) and Indy 4 was such an awesome movie we should feel blessed to get it on Blu-ray! People talk like that when your on a certain payroll. Much like how "more than half the combo's I tried on HD DVD didn't work!" line he spouted off a few weeks ago. Just read, and move on.
While I've been reading Digital Bits since 1999, Bill Hunt does annoy me at times. He thinks he's quite prophetic and he likes to cite examples of his prophecies coming to fruition. I guess that'd be okay if he weren't a broken record.

Also, he clearly thinks his site is a premiere destination for news on the home entertainment formats, but he treats it like a hobby; he misses updates often and shrugs it off. It just seems like his ideas on what the site is and what it actually is are incongruent with each other. He didn't even do the Bitsy Awards this year!

ETA: That being said, I won't accuse him of being "on the payroll."

Last edited by Arthur Dent; 12-16-09 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
While I've been reading Digital Bits since 1999, Bill Hunt does annoy me at times. He thinks he's quite prophetic and he likes to cite examples of his prophecies coming to fruition. I guess that'd be okay if he weren't a broken record.

Also, he clearly thinks his site is a premiere destination for news on the home entertainment formats, but he treats it like a hobby; he misses updates often and shrugs it off. It just seems like his ideas on what the site is and what it actually is are incongruent with each other. He didn't even do the Bitsy Awards this year!

ETA: That being said, I won't accuse him of being "on the payroll."
If you predict rain often enough eventually you'll be right. then you just keep reminding everyone how you correctly predicted the rain so it'll seem like you were right and forget about all trhe times you were wrong. In the early days I preferred DVDFile over the Bits because they were more news and less opinion and conjecture.

To say these popular titles have a very good chance of making it to Blu in the next 2 years is not exactly Kreskin-like. Kind of like predicting there's a good chance I'll take a crap after eating raisin bran. Don't go out on a limb or anything Bill
Old 12-17-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
To say these popular titles have a very good chance of making it to Blu in the next 2 years is not exactly Kreskin-like. Kind of like predicting there's a good chance I'll take a crap after eating raisin bran.

I don't mess around with a sig line or anything in my profile, but if I was ever going to put a quote on there (like many others do), this would have to be the one!
Old 12-18-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An update from Digital Bits

Alrighty... hot on the heels of our report from earlier this week about the Indiana Jones and Star Wars films, not to mention TONS of others, coming to Blu-ray in 2010 and 2011, our industry sources have checked in again with still MORE word on great classic catalog titles on the way to Blu-ray next year. This has been confirmed with several different sources now, so while the street dates are all TBA, we know that these titles are planned and actively being worked on for release in 2010...

Warner Bros. has a Dr. Zhivago: 40th Anniversary - Ultimate Collector's Edition on the way to Blu-ray next year, along with Poseidon, Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Absolute Power, The Rookie (the Clint Eastwood film), National Lampoon's Vacation and National Lampoon's European Vacation, the long-awaited (on BD) Excalibur, Mars Attacks, The Maltese Falcon and the first season of the TV show Friends.

And Paramount (and DreamWorks) - in addition to the classic Indy Trilogy - has Stardust, Collateral, Shrek, Shrek 2 and Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds and Saving Private Ryan due on Blu-ray in the year ahead. Not too shabby. 2010 is definitely going to be an expensive year for catalog BD fans!

As always, the above information is to be considered unofficial and subject to change until the studios in question make official announcements. Stay tuned...

I'm in for Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Absolute Power, The Rookie (the Clint Eastwood film), National Lampoon's Vacation, the classic Indy Trilogy, Shrek, Shrek 2 and Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds and Saving Private Ryan which is in my top 5 for wanted upgrades.

I have Poseidon, and Stardust on HD which is fine and I won't upgrade Friends.
Old 12-18-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Please let them remaster Excalibur this time.

There's a lot of great-looking stuff in there. Maltese Falcon is an obvious buy, along with Saving Private Ryan if that's true, but I'll also scrap my HD DVD of Stardust for the Blu-ray.
Old 12-18-09, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Just Indy for me. Maybe Mars attack at a budget price.
Old 12-18-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Indy and probably Absolute Power since I like the movie and any way to get rid of the snapper DVD is good enough reason for me.
Old 12-18-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Just Indy for me. Maybe Mars attack at a budget price.
Maybe they could double-feature that one...lol. Lets hope Universal pitches in some Spielberg titles as well!
Old 12-18-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
An update from Digital Bits

Alrighty... hot on the heels of our report from earlier this week about the Indiana Jones and Star Wars films, not to mention TONS of others, coming to Blu-ray in 2010 and 2011, our industry sources have checked in again with still MORE word on great classic catalog titles on the way to Blu-ray next year. This has been confirmed with several different sources now, so while the street dates are all TBA, we know that these titles are planned and actively being worked on for release in 2010...

Warner Bros. has a Dr. Zhivago: 40th Anniversary - Ultimate Collector's Edition on the way to Blu-ray next year, along with Poseidon, Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Absolute Power, The Rookie (the Clint Eastwood film), National Lampoon's Vacation and National Lampoon's European Vacation, the long-awaited (on BD) Excalibur, Mars Attacks, The Maltese Falcon and the first season of the TV show Friends.

And Paramount (and DreamWorks) - in addition to the classic Indy Trilogy - has Stardust, Collateral, Shrek, Shrek 2 and Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds and Saving Private Ryan due on Blu-ray in the year ahead. Not too shabby. 2010 is definitely going to be an expensive year for catalog BD fans!

As always, the above information is to be considered unofficial and subject to change until the studios in question make official announcements. Stay tuned...

I'm in for Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Absolute Power, The Rookie (the Clint Eastwood film), National Lampoon's Vacation, the classic Indy Trilogy, Shrek, Shrek 2 and Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds and Saving Private Ryan which is in my top 5 for wanted upgrades.

I have Poseidon, and Stardust on HD which is fine and I won't upgrade Friends.
I'm most excited about "Excalibur" so WB, please PLEASE don't fuck up the PQ. But I'm not very hopeful. I'm also in for "Indy" I and III, " "Private Ryan" and "Stardust".
Old 12-18-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saving Pvt. Ryan, War of the Worlds, and the first Vacation for sure. On the fence on Stardust, maybe need to rent it again. Have no desire to upgrade any of the 10 seasons of Friends to HD.

Still, less rumors and more real announcements for me, please.
Old 12-18-09, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Still, less rumors and more real announcements for me, please.
Nothing until CES in a few weeks.
Old 12-18-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Nothing until CES in a few weeks.
Sorry, I feel foolish.....but what is CES?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.