DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Time Warner to drop HDnet? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/555412-time-warner-drop-hdnet.html)

cactusoly 05-21-09 11:50 AM

Time Warner to drop HDnet?

according to several online sources Time Warner is planning on dropping HDnet at the end of the month.

according to Time Warner

"There's a limited appeal for the programming. In a world with more than 100 HD channels, being in HD is not enough. We are adding other channels in HD to give our customers more choice"

as we all know WeHD, Lifetime HD QVCHD, and Fox Business HD have more appeal.

I called my local office and they had no clue, they told me that they always give 30 days notice before they drop any programming (yeah right)

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...31.php?q=hdnet

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/18...onth-says-bei/

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/18...onth-says-bei/

Adam Tyner 05-21-09 12:00 PM

Re: Time Warner to drop HDnet?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/WNY/s...nelchange.html

I'd be kind of crushed if HDNet Movies dropped off my cable provider -- it's my single favorite channel, high definition or otherwise, period -- but HDNet...eh. I used to really dig the channel back when I first dove into HD, but aside from some Arrested Development if I'm eating lunch at home, I've probably actively watched only a couple of hours of programming on it in several years. I keep an eye on their schedule, but nothing really grabs me at all.

Gizmo 05-21-09 12:16 PM

I think HDNet only airs episodes of Becker last I checked. I went through last night to set my DVR to record some stuff and it was literally 8 hours of Becker a day.

Scott27 05-22-09 04:52 PM

Disappointed that Time Warner is dropping the HDNets but at least it'll save me some money. When they drop them, I'm dropping their HD Tier. None of the other channels in that tier is worth spending extra on.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9458167)
I think HDNet only airs episodes of Becker last I checked. I went through last night to set my DVR to record some stuff and it was literally 8 hours of Becker a day.

That's Universal HD. Uni-HD is worthless now. It's become USA 2.

shacmasta 05-22-09 05:31 PM

Hdnet is by far my favorite channel, since I'm a huge MMA fan.

according to Time Warner

"There's a limited appeal for the programming. In a world with more than 100 HD channels, being in HD is not enough. We are adding other channels in HD to give our customers more choice"
What are these guys smoking? Like the rumored channel to replace it the f'n Smithsonian HD channel will bring in more viewers, cut the shit. This is all about a dispute about fees and hdnet wanting more of it, nothing more.

I've dealt with time warner's shit for too long, it's only a matter of time before I drop them and there overall shitty service.

LickTheABCs 05-22-09 05:33 PM

All I watch on HDNet is Arrested Development and ROH and a few random episodes of Enterprise and Smallville.

Now, HDNet Movies on the other hand.....

caligulathegod 05-22-09 05:47 PM

Unacceptable. How can they possibly think that HDNetMovies has no appeal? HDnetmovies and MGMHD are the best HD channels out there. The only ones I was willing to pay extra for.

Gizmo 05-22-09 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 9461213)
Unacceptable. How can they possibly think that HDNetMovies has no appeal? HDnetmovies and MGMHD are the best HD channels out there. The only ones I was willing to pay extra for.

Looking that its HDMNV and not HDNet being dropped I will be dumping the HD Tier. Its the main one I watch besides local stations and ABC Family. Really stupid of them.

AmityBoatTours 05-23-09 12:57 AM

so is it HD NET or HD NET movies or both that is being dropped

Adam Tyner 05-23-09 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 9461848)
so is it HD NET or HD NET movies or both that is being dropped

It may vary by location, but in Buffalo, at least, according to their website ( http://www.timewarnercable.com/WNY/s...nelchange.html ), they're dropping both. TWC isn't re-upping their contract with HDNet, period, from what I understand.

DVD Polizei 05-23-09 08:22 AM

Seems like Disney and now Warner Bros. are just determined to save consumers money. I like this. :up:

Quake1028 05-23-09 10:57 AM

FUCK. RoH, MMA.....I might have to switch to DirecTV sooner than I thought.

bdshort 05-24-09 01:36 AM

Glad I don't have Time Warner, as I like HDNet Movies quite a bit.

lamphorn 05-24-09 01:55 AM

Un fucking believable. HDNET Movies is the channel I spend most of my time on. HDNET got me into Enterprise, which looks pretty badass in HD.

Did you see what they're replacing it with? Mav TV (some weird man-oriented mix of sports and dirt bikes) and Smithsonian TV. On top of that, they don't seem to have any plans to get Comedy Central in HD, which DirectTV already has.

I'm calling DirectTV tomorrow.

Gizmo 05-24-09 11:09 AM

It's not fully gone...yet. They are trying to work out a deal. If not, I'll drop the HD Tier because Smithsonian HD is not a valid replacement.

AmityBoatTours 05-25-09 02:27 AM

I agree with you about smithsonian, this sucks because i have been spending more and more time lately in L.A. really good chance i will be moving back there fulltime from Vegas by the end of the summer, really hope that time warner socal is able to renegotiate with HDNET cause, crime and investigation hd and smithsonian hd are not worth the extra money.

cant believe they are also possibly going to be losing The weather channel,KABC, and KTLA!!!!

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9463446)
It's not fully gone...yet. They are trying to work out a deal. If not, I'll drop the HD Tier because Smithsonian HD is not a valid replacement.

stingermck 05-25-09 02:39 PM

IM a big fan of Art Mann Presents, and Deadline, so I would hate to see HDNet go. Didnt this same thing almost happen a few months ago?

Heres what I get for local site:
Upcoming Channel Lineup Changes

May 31, 2009: HD Net (Channel 998) and HD Net Movies (Channel 999) will no longer be available on the Digital Cable HD Tier. The following channels will be added to the HD Tier:

* Hallmark Movie Channel HD - Channel 284
* Smithsonian Channel HD - Channel 999
* MavTV HD - Channel 998

Hallmark HD? Fuck me

Jfunk1 05-25-09 03:25 PM

HDNet Movies is the only channel that consistently plays great movies in HD, not dumb new releases that I could care less about (HBO, SHOW, CINEMAX, etc). I will strongly consider dumping TimeWarner if they dump HDNet Movies in LA.

AmityBoatTours 05-27-09 02:35 AM

so its the 27th of may so far hd net is still on air on time warner, i guess we have to wait and see after 8am when the offices are opens

AmityBoatTours 05-27-09 02:54 AM

spoke to soon hd net is now night at museum infomercial channel HD errrr i mean Smithsonian HD

this is sad

RobLutter 05-27-09 03:11 AM

This is precisely why we switched to AT&T Uverse last month... Time Warner doesn't give a SHIT about their customers (at least in the Austin area), just about the bottom line.

AT&T has every single HD channel I can think of (some I did not even know existed, lol) and the NFL Network (which TW also refuse to carry for $$$ reasons) for christsake.

When I called to cancel, the rep even had the gall to fucking yell at me and tell me I was "wrong" for every reason I hated their service. Bastards. grr.

lamphorn 05-27-09 05:57 AM

Time to switch. Sorry, Smithsonian TV is not an acceptable replacement.

Gizmo 05-27-09 09:59 AM

Sadly my only other choice in my Condo is Satellite and I'm not thrilled with their pricing. I'll be canceling my HD Tier. $5 a month is $60 a year and if I don't get the one channel I actually watch...well, I'll take my $60 and invest it in something a bit more useful.

Giles 05-27-09 10:21 AM

RCN did the same shit, they moved HDNet/HDNet Movies into a separate tier with Smithsonian, MGM and something else... I didn't pony up the cash or change ... oh well.

E Unit 05-27-09 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by RobLutter (Post 9467811)
This is precisely why we switched to AT&T Uverse last month... Time Warner doesn't give a SHIT about their customers (at least in the Austin area), just about the bottom line.

Lucky you Rob - I live in Hutto and AT&T does not offer their service here - yet. I'm dying for them to so I can switch. For now I have to suffer with Time Warner. Crap part is that AT&T IS offered to neighborhoods just 5 minutes away in Round Rock.

I had Dish and they sucked so much more than TW.