DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/555038-coraline-blu-ray-july-21st.html)

E Unit 05-14-09 08:02 AM

Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

According to blu-ray.com. Looks to be a nice set.

Coraline Announced for Blu-ray

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that it will bring the stop-motion fantasy film 'Coraline' to Blu-ray on July 21, day-and-date with the DVD release. The film will be presented in both its 2-D and 3-D versions on a two-disc edition, with 1.85:1 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Bonus features are as follows:

Feature commentary with director Henry Selick and composer Bruno Coulais (on 2-D and 3-D versions)
U-Control (on 2-D version only):
Picture-in-picture
Tours and voice sessions
Animatic picture-in-picture
Deleted scenes
The Making of 'Coraline'
Voicing the Characters
Creepy Coraline
D-Box
BD Live:
My Scenes Sharing
The World According to Henry
Digital copy of 2-D version (expires July 31, 2010)

E Unit 05-14-09 08:04 AM

re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Sorry - my bad - the release date is July 21st, NOT July 10th. And what's the deal with the digital copy expiring 10 days after the release date? Lame.

Can a Mod update the thread title to reflect the correct date?

PerryD 05-14-09 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 9443274)
And what's the deal with the digital copy expiring 10 days after the release date? Lame.

One year and 10 days...

E Unit 05-14-09 08:44 AM

Ah, cause apparently I suck at math.....thanks. Not sure why I missed that. I guess most or all digital copies have an expiration date?

CombatCraig 05-14-09 08:45 AM

Sweet action I wanted to take my wife to the 3D version but we never got around to it. Does anyone know if Blu-Rays require a certain kind of 3D glasses or will the classic red/blue do the job?

Giles 05-14-09 08:49 AM

^ I'm sure this will be viewable in anaglyph (red/blue). Saw this twice in the theatre in 3D - can't wait to own this!

Rammsteinfan 05-14-09 08:55 AM

I need to see it again. I think I was expecting way too much of it and when i saw it in 3D i was so bored and thought it was very disappointing. Now that I know what to expect, ill give it a rent and see if i was just over analyzing it or i really dont care for it. I shouldnt have been expecting the second coming after he did NBXmas.

Giles 05-14-09 10:17 AM

^ for starters I hope you weren't expecting characters to break out in song like NBXmas (or 'James and the Giant Peach' for that matter).

Rammsteinfan 05-14-09 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9443577)
^ for starters I hope you weren't expecting characters to break out in song like NBXmas (or 'James and the Giant Peach' for that matter).

Not so much for the singing as for a better story or maybe more likable characters? Not sure. I didnt go in expecting song and dance but rather weird and interesting. Definitely need to give it a second view at home and see again for myself.

kaze0 05-14-09 02:24 PM

Any idea if this is going to have the 3d like Chuck or the SuperBowl commercials were? Those were much much more watchable than Polar Express 3d.

Supermallet 05-14-09 02:28 PM

Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

I can't wait. I loved this film.

Evil ASh 05-14-09 04:01 PM

Instant buy for me. Loved the movie. Never read the book though...

NoirFan 05-14-09 05:11 PM

Excellent news! I'm sure this will absolutely gorgeous in HD.

MTRodaba2468 05-14-09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9444546)
Excellent news! I'm sure this will absolutely gorgeous in HD.

Agreed.

islandclaws 05-16-09 01:21 PM

Never caught this in theaters. I'd like to blind buy it, but the mild reviews and animation style haven't done much for me. I might wait until it hits an HD cable channel before I bite.

NoirFan 05-16-09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9448152)
mild reviews

I thought the reviews were pretty positive - it's got a 80 rating on Metacritic.

islandclaws 05-16-09 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9448357)
I thought the reviews were pretty positive - it's got a 80 rating on Metacritic.

Hmmmm... I had heard from most people I know that it was pretty good, but not as good as they were hoping. I really want to see it, but I'm not a renter so it'll be a while.

Blu Man 05-16-09 05:56 PM

Still debating whether I want this or not....

rexinnih 05-16-09 10:40 PM

Looking forward to seeing this. Missed it in the theater.

Oliver Clothesoff 05-18-09 07:59 AM

http://www.thehdroom.com/images/bluray/large/5083.jpg

Tracer Bullet 05-18-09 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9443325)
One year and 10 days...

This isn't directed at you, just a good post to quote to give this some context...

You know what? This "digital copy" crap has GOT TO STOP. You're going to do everything in your power to strip citizens of their rights of fair use and then give us a "digital copy" in your unlimited fucking beneficence but you MAKE IT EXPIRE? Are you fucking kidding me?

Fuck you, studios. FUCK YOU.

Giles 05-18-09 09:06 AM

whoah, Tracer I've never seen you this distraught and angry! yes, I agree the digital copies has gotten out of hand - and when it means that studios raise the MSRP to cover that cost, then I think we the customers need to draw the line and actually complain to them.

I don't remember the tree claw thing-a-ma-jig, in the original poster.

Anubis2005X 05-18-09 12:48 PM

I thought that's just when the code expires. I don't think the digital copy itself expires if you've redeemed the code, right?

emachine12 05-18-09 02:13 PM

The digital copy does not expire. However, the code to redeem the copy will. Mamma Mia! and Hellboy II's digital copy codes expire at the end of this year. So redeem them now if you haven't yet.

NoirFan 07-15-09 04:42 PM

From the Blu-ray.com review:

"Perfection" is a word I try to use as sparingly as possible when discussing video presentations, but in the case of Coraline's exquisite 1080p/VC-1 transfer, no other word seems capable of so adequately and concisely describing its every frame.
Although the 3-D is apparently quite underwhelming:

....the Blu-ray version is hindered by an anaglyped presentation, magenta and cyan lenses (which drastically distort the film's vivid palette), frequent ghosting, and depth-of-field inconsistencies (distant objects don't come together as precisely as they should).