DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Warner Double-Dips - "Natural Born Killers" Directors Cut DigiBook ---> 8/25/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/554857-warner-double-dips-natural-born-killers-directors-cut-digibook-8-25-09-a.html)

Gizmo 05-11-09 12:20 PM

Warner Double-Dips - "Natural Born Killers" Directors Cut DigiBook ---> 8/25/09

Warner Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of 'Natural Born Killers: Director's Cut' for August 25. No specs have been released, but you can expect a 1080p VC-1 video encode and Dolby TrueHD audio. This release will include a new high-def introduction from director Oliver Stone and a 44-page booklet on the film's production.

Also included will be a new featurette titled "NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?," illustrating how current communication technology would impact the film if it were made today.

'Natural Born Killers' had already been published on Blu-ray in June 2008, but that release only included the theatrical cut, which Oliver Stone had to perform at the time in order to secure an "R" rating by the MPAA. The director's cut had been released before on DVD only by a different studio, and it contains about four more minutes of footage, mostly graphic violence.
Sigh.

Torchur317 05-11-09 12:22 PM

Re: Warner Double-Dips - "Natural Born Killers" Directors Cut DigiBook ---> 8/25/09

Not surprised.... lol

bookcase3 05-11-09 12:27 PM

Re: Warner Double-Dips - "Natural Born Killers" Directors Cut DigiBook ---> 8/25/09

I wish studios would concentrate on bringing movies to Blu-ray instead of these senseless double-dips. I bought the theatrical cut when it came out on BD, and I'm fine with that release. I never saw the extra 4 minutes, and don't really care.

tylergfoster 05-11-09 12:38 PM

I have yet to watch the director's cut. Lame that they're already double-dipping it, as I bought the original digibook. Someday I'll get around to the DC and hopefully if I like it the new BD will be cheap by then.

E Unit 05-11-09 12:38 PM

:thumbsup: Awesome, that's twice now I won't be buying this.

Torchur317 05-11-09 12:41 PM

The director's cut is much better than the theater version, I'll probably buy this BR....

Dan 05-11-09 12:55 PM

Glad I waited!

islandclaws 05-11-09 01:12 PM

^ Same here, but I thought Lionsgate had the rights to the DC, no?

PopcornTreeCt 05-11-09 01:44 PM

I guess it's too much to ask for both cuts in the same set?

Doctorossi 05-11-09 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9437484)
I guess it's too much to ask for both cuts in the same set?

Why pay once when you can pay twice?

MBoyd 05-11-09 01:59 PM

I had this on LD. Paid $125 for it. Theatrical cut on blu that sits unwatched on my shelf is enough. :)

GenPion 05-11-09 02:49 PM

Jeez... THANKS WB. I love double dipping. Um, not. I won't be purchasing this even though Director's Cuts are almost always the preferable choice. I'm disappointed in this. I already purchased this film on Blu-ray and won't be taken again.

Drexl 05-11-09 03:33 PM

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy it now. Heck, I never bought it on DVD because I wanted the unrated cut anamorphic.

BTW, I remember reading years ago that he also considers what played in theaters a "director's cut," because he made it. Naturally, this was when the boxed set came out, and he wouldn't want to discourage anyone from buying it. :)

Peep 05-11-09 03:56 PM

Wish I could buy some of these recent releases without getting the DigiBooks.

movielib 05-11-09 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Torchur317 (Post 9437294)
The director's cut is much better than the theater version, I'll probably buy this BR....

I agree, the DC is much better. Almost all the cuts are very short but they change the tone of the film. It's more exaggerated and surreal.

I waited a long time but, of course, I finally succumbed and bought the first BD. But this is one of those times the DC is so superior I have to get it. Not so terrible to have both, I guess.

GoldenJCJ 05-11-09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9437717)
BTW, I remember reading years ago that he also considers what played in theaters a "director's cut," because he made it. Naturally, this was when the boxed set came out, and he wouldn't want to discourage anyone from buying it. :)

Yeah, and each of his 12 cuts of Alexander are "Director's Cuts" as well. :rolleyes:

I've held off on the first DVD release cause it wasn't the Director's Cut, held off the on the Director's Cut DVD cause it was non-anamorphic, and held off on the first blu-ray release cause it wasn't the DC. I guess I don't really have an excuse not to buy it this time...but I will wait for a good deal.

DVD Polizei 05-12-09 01:49 AM

Waiting for the 3rd Blu-ray release of NBK with both the theatrical and DC cuts, in a 4-disc Blu booky thingie.

neilo13 05-12-09 06:57 AM

Woo-hoo, I get to buy my favorite movie for the 4th time (both cuts VHS, director's cut DVD). :banana:

Is there any hope that the Burn video will be on this release? I highly doubt it, but it would be nice to have in 1080.

As far as why they are seperate releases, the previous director's cut releases were put out by a studio other than warner (I think tri-mark). I'm not sure why that happened, but it seems there may be some strange rights issue, but that looks to be cleared up now that warner is releasing the DC, so I guess a set with both cuts is not out of the question, but I can't wait for this release (and I don't think I'll ever have the urge to watch the theatrical version ever again).

Dan 05-12-09 02:08 PM

^I doubt we'll see the Burn video. That's the only reason I still have my VHS copy.

I hope this version has the same intro to the film as the VHS and the intros to all of the deleted scenes.

Spoiler:

How long until we see NBK2?

Matthew Ackerly 05-12-09 02:27 PM

Damn you, Warner Bros.

Anybody wanna buy my R-rated Digibook?

stingermck 05-12-09 02:49 PM

Awesome. Gonna eBay or trade the original, and get the DC.

PhantomStranger 05-12-09 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by neilo13 (Post 9438685)
As far as why they are seperate releases, the previous director's cut releases were put out by a studio other than warner (I think tri-mark). I'm not sure why that happened, but it seems there may be some strange rights issue, but that looks to be cleared up now that warner is releasing the DC, so I guess a set with both cuts is not out of the question, but I can't wait for this release (and I don't think I'll ever have the urge to watch the theatrical version ever again).

Warner had a policy back at the time of initial release not to put unrated movies out on home video. Stone wanted to release the unrated director's cut, so Warner allowed him to shop it to another distributor. The current Warner regime has obviously changed that policy.

I do think this is a shameless double-dip, considering the initial Blu-ray has not been out that long.

neilo13 05-13-09 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 9439990)
Warner had a policy back at the time of initial release not to put unrated movies out on home video. Stone wanted to release the unrated director's cut, so Warner allowed him to shop it to another distributor. The current Warner regime has obviously changed that policy.

Thanks for the info PhantomStranger, i never knew why it was released like that.

Somethingmore,

I doubt the Burn video will be here either, but we can hope, can't we?
I wish it would have been added to the Closure set so I could also get rid of my VHS.

macnorton 05-13-09 02:59 PM

I got the original...but I didn't pay anything for it (Columbia House deal). So I will probably jump on this one since I have always wanted to see the making of doc which was absent from the original Blu.

Dan 05-13-09 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by neilo13 (Post 9440744)
Somethingmore,

I doubt the Burn video will be here either, but we can hope, can't we?

Of course! :) Back when the Director's Cut DVD came out, I was convinced that the video was an 'easter egg' on the disc, and spent quite a bit of time trying to find it.

I wish it would have been added to the Closure set so I could also get rid of my VHS.
Yeah, I don't fully understand why it wasn't on Closure. The 'Burn' video was done in 1994, I think, and Closure came out around the same time as the NBK DC VHS in 1997.