HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy Retains Blu-ray Retail Throne

Old 05-08-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no real surprises here
IMO Amazon has missed some major opportunities to be the go to destination for BD

Posted May 8, 2009 03:58 PM by Juan Calonge

According to research sources, Best Buy is currently the top Blu-ray retailer in the USA, with a market share of 40% to 50%, a percentage even larger than what Wal-Mart holds in standard DVD. Wal-Mart comes second, with 20% to 30%, followed by Amazon, with about 15% to 20%, and Target, with approximately 10%.

If we compare the Blu-ray rankings with those reported in October 2007, the most significant change (apart from the disappearance of Circuit City) is that Wal-Mart has now overtaken Amazon for second place. Indeed, analysts say that Wal-Mart is likely to further expand its market share.

The DVD retail rankings are very different: Wal-Mart continues to dominate with a 40% share, followed by Target and Best Buy (neck-and-neck with 12% and 11%, respectively), and Amazon in fourth place, with 6% to 7%.

Research analysts believe that Best Buy's dominance with Blu-ray makes sense because its core electronics customer base matches perfectly with early adopters. Also, Best Buy promotes Blu-ray more aggressively than Target or Wal-Mart, by placing titles in heavily trafficked areas and emphasizing Blu-ray titles in advertising.

Amazon has also heavily promoted Blu-ray, and thus has attained a much larger share in the format than what it has on DVD.

However, research analysts predict Blu-ray retail shares will move closer to standard DVD shares in the near future, as the high-definition format becomes more mainstream.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2673
Old 05-08-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Best Buy Retains Blu-ray Retail Throne

Best Buy's pricing has improved dramatically since October '07. Not specifically price drops, but the substantial number of weekly sales they usually have. Wal-Mart, as we all know, gets enormous traffic every single day. Combine that with their expansion of BD and pricematching, it's easy to see why they have surpassed Amazon.

Target's pricing is also improved and they have expanded as well, but they still sell new releases consistently at $29.99 and don't offer up as many sales as Best Buy.
Old 05-08-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good for Best Buy. When Amazon dropped the 30 day price guarantee they lost a shit load of sales from me. No longer will I pre-order a title to find out the day after release it drops $2-$5. No longer will I pre-order a title to find out a special promotion starts the day mine ships and I don't get it (free Wolverine ticket). Screw them.
Old 05-08-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For better or worse most of my purchases are still with Amazon. But I have scaled back on stuff which is likely to go on sale sooner or later due to Amazon's asinine removal of the price guarantee.

I think I've purchased one Blu-ray in the past few months from Best Buy, and it was only because I had a reward cert to spend. They surprisingly had JCVD marked 24.99 even though the list is 34.99, which would usually result in a 29.99 price at BB.

As a side note, JCVD wasn't nearly as good as some reviews made it out to be. I was listing it on Amazon as I was watching it.
Old 05-08-09, 04:58 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WalMarts in other parts of the country must be a lot different from the ones in the San Diego area. Ours have sparse BD selections and half of those are locked in cases.
Old 05-08-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good for Best Buy. I have noticed a greater effort to promote BR in their stores and ads lately.

I'm really surprised at Wal-Mart being so high. At least in the Wal-Mart's over here, their section is pretty pathetic. Just the top new releases, and a bunch of Warner catalog titles.
Old 05-08-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been digging the $10-12 Fry's BD sales lately. So glad I finally swung over to the blu side.
Old 05-08-09, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan View Post
I've been digging the $10-12 Fry's BD sales lately. So glad I finally swung over to the blu side.
thats what im talking about it...

id like to see the BD sales numbers for cities that have both frys electronics and best buys...

i buy and price match at Best Buy but sometimes they make a huge hastle when i try to buy 3 BDs for $10 each especially if one of the BDs is 14.99 that week and im trying to use my $5 reward certificate. So now i just take the trip to frys and with them having instore check and pick up its alot easier.

time for an ICEE break ...
Old 05-08-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never bought a Blu-ray from Best Buy, never will.
Old 05-09-09, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Best Buy's pricing has improved dramatically since October '07. ... It's easy to see why they have surpassed Amazon.
What!? But I've been so decidedly faithful... $500+ in BDs in the last few months and Amazon can't do any better than 15%-20%??

Seriously, though, I'm surprised that Amazon is so much lower than Best Buy. It seems to me, the only benefit in purchasing from BB over Amazon is not having to wait on your stuff to arrive. There's no tax on Amazon (unless you're in NY, poor souls), avoiding shipping charges is cake, and they almost always seem to price-match any deals going on with the major retailers mentioned above. I haven't pre-ordered from Amazon in years, but when I did, the price was never that much less than what they ended up charging post-release. And, as Gizmo mentioned, there's usually some kind of sale, GoldBox deal or what have you not too long after the release. I'd just as soon bide my time and save money. Every time I go into BB and sidle over to the BDs just for kicks, I always walk away amazed at how pricey they are. Maybe I'm spoiled by the BD Bargains Thread, but... really. Can't see the BB appeal. Amazon Prime rocks.
Old 05-09-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Best Buy's sales, I've picked up quite a few $15.99 BDs after the past few weeks. New releases are usually the cheapest too.
Old 05-09-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
WalMarts in other parts of the country must be a lot different from the ones in the San Diego area. Ours have sparse BD selections and half of those are locked in cases.
Our Wal Marts have a lousy selection of Blu-rays. Once Amazon started charging tax to comply with the NY state law, much of the enticement to order online was gone.

Although most of what I watch is a rental, I do purchase at BB when they have their sales.
Old 05-09-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Unless they have some mega-exclusive item neither do I.
Old 05-09-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nor I. I still detest Best Buy. I won't pre-order from them and my purchasing from them has actually dropped. I haven't bought anything from them in over 6 months although I still cruise their aisles out of curiosity, while from Amazon, I think over the last 6 months I've purchased 40+ Blu-ray titles. Amazon still gets a shitload of titles ordered from me, so I have to wonder about the overall sources of this report. And why are they comparing to 2007? This is 2009.

Maybe Best Buy gets the first-time consumer who buys one or two Blu-rays, but I still question this report because I just don't see the Blu-ray madness and interest at stores here in the PDX area.

In any case, I'm glad HD adoption has picked up. I figured it would, and once people view HD movies at their friends' homes who already have the technology, they want it as well. I don't blame them at all. When I first saw an HD movie, I just about creamed my pink panties.
Old 05-09-09, 03:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I've probably bought more at Best Buy than anywhere else, although it is probably close and fairly evenly dispersed amongst a few stores (Amazon, Target, TRU).

I have no store loyalties, just buy them whenever I find them for under $10 (and don't have the SD and want the film).
Old 05-09-09, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Retail store wise, Best Buy won most of my title count. The B1G1s in Q1 last year did it. I stacked up deals, traded in crazy expensive Fox free discs for ones I wanted... and got 2 from the B1G1. Also the Buy 3 BRs and Save $20. Recently, I scored a bunch of rewards from my projector purchase... keep using those with price matches to Frys for super low prices.
Old 05-09-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at the stack of unwatched and having Netflix, problems I know but a large queue always means I have something at home, I usually don't buy new movies right when they come out. This allows me to take advantage of sales down the road (thank you Fry's) and I also have no problem buying quality used products. That said, I actually have been buying more from Best Buy myself lately.
Old 05-09-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kk725 View Post
What!? But I've been so decidedly faithful... $500+ in BDs in the last few months and Amazon can't do any better than 15%-20%??

Seriously, though, I'm surprised that Amazon is so much lower than Best Buy. It seems to me, the only benefit in purchasing from BB over Amazon is not having to wait on your stuff to arrive. There's no tax on Amazon (unless you're in NY, poor souls), avoiding shipping charges is cake, and they almost always seem to price-match any deals going on with the major retailers mentioned above. I haven't pre-ordered from Amazon in years, but when I did, the price was never that much less than what they ended up charging post-release. And, as Gizmo mentioned, there's usually some kind of sale, GoldBox deal or what have you not too long after the release. I'd just as soon bide my time and save money. Every time I go into BB and sidle over to the BDs just for kicks, I always walk away amazed at how pricey they are. Maybe I'm spoiled by the BD Bargains Thread, but... really. Can't see the BB appeal. Amazon Prime rocks.
Best Buy runs sales all the time. The Incredible Hulk is $15.99 now. In the past, they had Amadeus for $14.99, Indy 4, Iron Man, and Transformers for $16.99, the X-men films were $19.99 each or 2/$35, Superman Returns will be $16.99 tomorrow, and there's been plenty of other good deals.

And if Bestbuy.com has something cheaper, you can do in-store pickup or pricematch in store.

Are those prices above not appealing?
Old 05-09-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Same with the Washington DC area, not worth even looking

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
+1
Old 05-09-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Amazon still gets a shitload of titles ordered from me, so I have to wonder about the overall sources of this report. And why are they comparing to 2007? This is 2009.
Yeah, and that was still the purple era. Did they not have numbers from 2008?
Old 05-09-09, 10:14 AM

I know that for many, it is an enjoyable, tactile experience to go into BB and browse through all the BDs. For me, looking at all the $29+ prices ruins it. Most of the time if BB has a great price on a disc, so does Amazon.

I am not willing to work as hard as others for a bargain. I hate having to mail in rebates or accumulate rewards. I much prefer to save my money when I buy the product. That's not a criticism of others, just a comment about me.

I find Amazon suits my buying habits best. I too miss the 30-day price guarantee, but I'm not angry about it. Does BB do that? Maybe so, but I'll bet you've got to go into the store, get in line at customer service, and use up a lot of time just to get the couple bucks that the disc dropped.

I've also gotten over the need to have the title on release date, which means BB has lost an advantage. I have Amazon Prime so I figure that the prime fee negates the no sales tax advantage, but then there's still the free shipping.

I'll be a lot of BB's sales come from people who are totally unaware of the bargains to be found on the internet.
Old 05-09-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Best Buy runs sales all the time. The Incredible Hulk is $15.99 now. In the past, they had Amadeus for $14.99, Indy 4, Iron Man, and Transformers for $16.99, the X-men films were $19.99 each or 2/$35, Superman Returns will be $16.99 tomorrow, and there's been plenty of other good deals.

And if Bestbuy.com has something cheaper, you can do in-store pickup or pricematch in store.

Are those prices above not appealing?
Not when Amazon price matches typically within 24 hours

Free shipping + no tax + no driving to Best Buy = happy.
Old 05-09-09, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Not when Amazon price matches typically within 24 hours

Free shipping + no tax + no driving to Best Buy = happy.
I agree.
Old 05-09-09, 11:11 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A majority of my collection is from Amazon and Best Buy. In the last year or so more has been from BB because I always price match + 10% of the difference to get the lowest price around. Fry's is close to a 40 mile round trip so any savings usually is negated by the extra cost to drive there; however, I have price matched them at least a dozen times so they are very handy in that regard. My Best Buy experiences have always been good so I have no complaints there. I like Amazon because when I have a problem with a damaged disc, and I have had a few over the years, their customer service is the absolute best to deal with vs other online vendors.
Old 05-09-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lovgun7 View Post
id like to see the BD sales numbers for cities that have both frys electronics and best buys...
Sure they pull great volume of sales, but these other chains will have 3x-5x the stores in the same markets. I'm sure it buries the the sales from the handful of Fry's stores in the same market. Even in the Bay Area, where there's a big presence by Frys, I'm not sure they would be number one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.