Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hellraiser this April...

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Hellraiser this April...

Old 12-23-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hellraiser this April...

BLu-Ray .com

Fansite Fangoria has been alerted by Anchor Bay Home Entertainment that they will bring 'Hellraiser' to Blu-ray as a 20th Anniversary Edition this April. Originally scheduled to come out before the end of the year, no reason was given for the delay. Supplemental features are expected to match the 20th Anniversary DVD, which was released last year.

Extras for the DVD release include:

*Actress From Hell - An Interview with Star Ashley Laurence
*Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Clive Barker and Ashley Laurence. *Moderated by Screenwriter Peter Atkins
*Hellcomposer - An Interview with Composer Christopher Young
*HELLRAISER: Resurrection
*Mr. Cotton, I Presume? - An Interview with Star Andrew Robinson
*Screenplays
*Under The Skin: Doug Bradley on HELLRAISER

**updated 1/28/09 bluray.com is reporting**

****In an early announcement to retailers, Anchor Bay Home Entertainment has revealed that they will bring 'Hellraiser' to Blu-ray on April 21st. According to the listing, the horror classic will be presented in its rated form, so those looking for the unrated version will have to hold onto their DVD. No technical specs or special features have been announced at this time.****

Updated 02/02/09 Bluray.com is reporting

In an early announcement to retailers, Anchor Bay Home Entertainment has revealed that they will bring the 'Hellraiser Puzzle Box' to Blu-ray on April 21st, day-and-date with the Blu-ray release of 'Hellraiser'. The three-disc box will feature the Blu-ray release of 'Hellraiser', along with the 20th Anniversary Edition DVDs of 'Hellraiser' and 'Hellbound: Hellraiser II'.

Last edited by TylerDurden_73; 02-02-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Glad to see that this release is getting back on track.

If it weren't an Anchor Bay title, I would probably pre-order it, but since it is, I'll probably wait for the inevitable price plunge, if their other Blu titles are any indication.
Old 12-23-08, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
Glad to see that this release is getting back on track.

If it weren't an Anchor Bay title, I would probably pre-order it, but since it is, I'll probably wait for the inevitable price plunge, if their other Blu titles are any indication.
That's exactly what I was going to post. Why pay $18.95 for it on release week when 2-3 weeks later it will be $12.95?
Old 12-23-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Anchor Bay has been a big disappointment on Blu-ray with just a few sporadic releases from a huge back catalog. I have a feeling the down-turn in the dvd market has affected their cash flow because I can't think of any other reason why they have not gone gung-ho into Blu-ray releases. Horror titles sell very well on BD so their catalog should have been a natural fit for the market.
Old 12-23-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll wait and buy the eventual re-release.
Old 12-23-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anchor Bay has been a big disappointment on Blu-ray with just a few sporadic releases from a huge back catalog. I have a feeling the down-turn in the dvd market has affected their cash flow because I can't think of any other reason why they have not gone gung-ho into Blu-ray releases. Horror titles sell very well on BD so their catalog should have been a natural fit for the market.
Anchor Bay just doesn't know what its doing. That's problem. The only reason Anchor Bay would be suffering for a downturn in the DVD market is because people like me don't buy their stuff anymore because another version is released 6 months later. Anchor Bay LOVES TO DOUBLE-DIP. And it's probably coming back to bite them because they didn't figure out their market isn't so dynamic.
Old 12-24-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
On the flip side, we all know the majority of AB titles, as well as studio titles, are going to be rereleased numerous times. At least the AB titles can be picked up at a reasonable price.
Old 12-24-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I'll pick it up. I only own the tin so I'm looking forward to the 20th Anniversary special features.
Old 12-24-08, 08:29 PM

I own the dvd tin as well....but if this blu ray is the unrated version then bye bye tin
Old 12-25-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Anchor Bay just doesn't know what its doing. That's problem. The only reason Anchor Bay would be suffering for a downturn in the DVD market is because people like me don't buy their stuff anymore because another version is released 6 months later. Anchor Bay LOVES TO DOUBLE-DIP. And it's probably coming back to bite them because they didn't figure out their market isn't so dynamic.
They do know what they're doing. If people were smart enough not to get every double dip in the first place, they wouldn't keep doing it.

(Another person looking to replace their tin)
Old 01-28-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hellraiser this April...

Clive Barker's Hellraiser Coming to Blu-ray
January 27, 2009

Starz Home Entertainment is dipping into the vast Anchor Bay catalog to bring another horror classic to Blu-ray Disc.

Online retailer Amazon.com has confirmed Clive Barker's original Hellraiser is coming to Blu-ray Disc on April 21.

It is being listed as part of "The Anchor Bay Collection," a new subset of Blu-ray releases Starz appears to be lining up for 2009.

Technical specs and bonus features are unknown at this time. Starz will likely mirror the extras found on the 20th anniversary DVD edition.

Amazon is offering Hellraiser on Blu-ray for a pre-order price of $20.99. Click here to secure your copy of Hellraiser on Blu-ray.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Clive_...o_Blu-ray/4187
Old 01-28-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

updated 1st post...
Old 01-28-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
According to the listing, the horror classic will be presented in its rated form, so those looking for the unrated version will have to hold onto their DVD.
Bummer.
Old 01-28-09, 02:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really confused here, so the bluray is the R-rated version, I know that the Tin edition is a faux- unrated edition with the hammer death uncut, but not complete. Is the 20th Edition DVD also uncut or is it the R-rated cut - I gather from what AB is stating, it's also the unrated cut? There's also talk that AB is releasing the 4-Disc Lamentation Box on the same day, which would also be the unrated cut since it's a port of the UK box - ugh... just thinking about it gives me a headache.

Last edited by Giles; 01-28-09 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ No kidding. Between this and the new Friday the 13th releases, I'm ready to say to hell with it all!
Old 01-28-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's Anchor Bay, I'm pretty sure It'll go to $10 by week 3 and a double-dip will happen by week 4.
Old 01-28-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only the R-rated cut? Well, they can stick that right up their ass. No sale for me.
Old 01-29-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's gotta hurt!
Old 01-29-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The DVD in the tin was R Rated as well but had the extended hammer scene. There is no region 1 Hellraiser DVD that is listed as unrated. Even though this is listed as being rated R, it could still have the extended hammer death, and be the same cut from the tin.

Everyone might be jumping the gun on the no sale comments.
Old 01-29-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just holding out to see if that 4-Disc Lamentation Box is released on Blu-ray.
Old 01-29-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cerial442
The DVD in the tin was R Rated as well but had the extended hammer scene. There is no region 1 Hellraiser DVD that is listed as unrated. Even though this is listed as being rated R, it could still have the extended hammer death, and be the same cut from the tin.

Everyone might be jumping the gun on the no sale comments.
Good point. Guess I'll wait until someone who knows their shit reviews it before I decide to pass on it. I didn't get the last SE so I really want to pick this one up.
Old 01-30-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last DVD version that came out is the same cut as the one in the tin, and was also rated R.

Someone from blu-ray.com posted this in the comments section.

This R rated cut is exactly the same as the version on the "uncut" UK boxset and the R rated US limited edition tin. There is only one version of the film. Back when they put the laserdisc together they offered Clive Barker the chance to re-edit it and put those few missing hammer-fu frames back in. He didn't do it and he explained why on one of the commentary tracks. Barker thought that the film looked more violent with the choppy editing in that scene so he let his preferred version be the R rated cut that we've always seen. Those missing frames can still only be seen in the German trailer. I saw it and it actually shows the hammer going into the guy's brainpan, and that footage has never been included on any release. The original sex scene footage between Julia and Frank is missing and it has never been seen in any form on video, so the theatrical R rated cut of Hellraiser is the only version that will ever be available.

I saw Hellraiser theatrically in 1987, I have the UK box set, the deluxe collector's edition laserdisc and all the DVDs. I'm also friends with the people that run Clive Barker's official website, so I can assure everyone that there isn't another version of this film out there. I just wish they would have included the Clive Barker solo commentary track from the laserdisc. It was included on the UK boxset, so maybe AB is holding it back for the 25th anniversary.
The reals shame about this is the fact that the box set coming out the same day isn't going to be on Blu-Ray.
Old 01-30-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Ok, that sold me well enough. I would have bought it anyways, but knowing all that makes the decision much easier.
Old 01-30-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-31-09, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Meh. Well, I might get this eventually. Kinda cheesy cover art. Should have shown Pinhead and his friends on a dark hellish background. This cover looks like Firestarter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.