DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/553825-warner-launches-red2blu-trade-program.html)

Grubert 04-22-09 05:52 AM

Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

http://i44.tinypic.com/2j2hiti.png

For $4.95 per title + $6.95 S/H you can exchange up to 25 HD DVDs for "new industry-leading Blu-ray Discs." And you don't even need to send the discs or cases - only the sleeves! Plus you get a $15 off coupon for a purchase of $50 or more at wbshop.

You can access it here. The full rules are here.

Shagrath 04-22-09 06:26 AM

Re: Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

That's not bad at all. I'm sure my XBox360 HD-DVD drive is going to kick the bucket sooner or later, and I've got a few WB HD-DVDs.

Also, it would allow me to convert that Harry Potter set to Blu, so they can all be in the same format.

Snowmaker 04-22-09 06:43 AM

Time to start hitting the HD-DVD clearance bins/aisles.

Goldberg74 04-22-09 06:45 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my Harry Potter and Ocean HD-DVDs.

Cool thing about the Ocean's HD-DVDs is that it's $9.95 for the set. Cool. :up:

I just might do it.

... and you get to keep the HD-DVD version (sans cover art).

Snowmaker 04-22-09 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9401929)

... and you get to keep the HD-DVD version (sans cover art).

Or just scan and print a replacement before sending off the original.

redbill 04-22-09 07:28 AM

I can't tell if its $6.95 for up to 25 discs shipped, or $6.95 each.

edit: just added to cart and its a 1 time fee.

I may do this, I only have 3. Also have the Matrix Collection, but its from the UK, so that's probably a no-go.

ozzfan84 04-22-09 07:34 AM

Do you think they will accept the Complete Matrix Trilogy for the Ultimate Matrix Trilogy?

They don't have an option for switching out the regular 3 films, and the UPC number they are accepting for the other one is for the Ultimate one on HD-DVD.

PerryD 04-22-09 07:45 AM

Hmm, $130 to upgrade 25 HD-DVDs? Maybe another $10 for sales tax? I have to think about it, sounds like a lot of money.

Edit: I count 38 Warner HD-DVDs in my collection. I wonder how they are handling Casablanca?

starman9000 04-22-09 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath (Post 9401918)
That's not bad at all. I'm sure my XBox360 HD-DVD drive is going to kick the bucket sooner or later, and I've got a few WB HD-DVDs.

Also, it would allow me to convert that Harry Potter set to Blu, so they can all be in the same format.

Yeah, I don't plan on going Blu any time soon, but that's pretty tempting for the HP set.

Actually, maybe I should go Blu now. I wonder how much I could get for my Toshiba, a bunch of HD-DVDs and a bunch of non-artwork Warner HD-DVDs?

JayDerek 04-22-09 07:57 AM

I really wish they would've done this sooner, as I've sold off the majority of my HD-DVD's. :(

Ah well - this seems like a great program for those who haven't made the switch yet.

ozzfan84 04-22-09 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9401983)
Hmm, $130 to upgrade 25 HD-DVDs? Maybe another $10 for sales tax? I have to think about it, sounds like a lot of money.

Edit: I count 38 Warner HD-DVDs in my collection. I wonder how they are handling Casablanca?

I wondered about that too. That might be one that's worth it to send in. There is only the box set available, right? Or is there a book one, too?

PerryD 04-22-09 08:11 AM

Looking through the list, the only bad deal is Blade Runner where they want $15 for a collection that costs under $30 normally. Also, it looks like they are offering the new version of Christmas Story, but I'm not sure if Superman Returns is the new TrueHD version.

RichC2 04-22-09 08:13 AM

Disappointing they want $14.95 for Blade Runner after trade-in :(

Looks like I'll be trading over for Planet Earth, Pan's Labyrinth, The Shinning, a couple Harry Potter flicks, Galapagos, Casablanca, and Batman Begins. Will keep 300 until they reissue the Blu-ray.

chrisih8u 04-22-09 08:14 AM

Thats not too bad to trade my Harry Potter box set. I feel extra stupid for throwing away my Planet Earth collection because of a broken first disk. :hairpull:

Yavin 04-22-09 08:18 AM

Not for Canada :(

stingermck 04-22-09 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JayDerek (Post 9402000)
I really wish they would've done this sooner, as I've sold off the majority of my HD-DVD's. :(

Ah well - this seems like a great program for those who haven't made the switch yet.

Yup, I had my whole collection gone that fateful Sunday night/Monday morning.

pmreed 04-22-09 08:21 AM

This might be what it takes for me to finally go Blu. Don't have a BD player yet, but I've been thinking about it. I'm just concerned about software updates, as it's impractical for me to run a broadband connection to the player location due to my house layout.

SoSpacey 04-22-09 08:25 AM

I wish Universal would do this. Most of my small collection are Universal disks. I only have 300 and Alexander Revisted from Warner and I don't want to spend a penny to "upgrade" those 2 freebies.

kms_md 04-22-09 08:31 AM

i think i may take advantage of 300, constantine, and FMJ.

XavierMike 04-22-09 08:38 AM

I don't see the Complete Matrix set listed-just the Ultimate set.

PerryD 04-22-09 08:46 AM

I went ahead and put in my order, 19 movies (25 if you count Ultimate Matrix and Harry Potter movies) for $125 with tax and shipping. Casablanca is listed as the Ultimate Collector's Edition in the order, so that will be a nice upgrade if that comes through for $5.

Edit: Already received my order confirmation email with the prepaid shipping label attached.

tofferman 04-22-09 08:54 AM

This is a fair deal to me at least. Now I hope Universal and Paramount launch similar programs.

vedderone 04-22-09 08:58 AM

$15 plus tax and shipping for the Harry Potter set is a great deal

glasschicken 04-22-09 08:59 AM

Anyone think they'll replace my UK version of Planet Earth?

I sent them an email, I'll post the results when I hear back.

Gizmo 04-22-09 09:04 AM

Interesting. Just the sleeves, eh? I'm afraid to look at how many Warner titles I own...$100 for 20 to "convert" from Red to Blu seems like a lot if the discs look and play the same. Might do a select few (Casablanca).

TheMovieman 04-22-09 09:06 AM

Batman Begins, Harry Potter movies, Matrix and Ocean's movies for me. $61.55 shipped. I had more in there but I decided I didn't need to switch those even for $5 each.

Now I assume with the Matrix and Ocean's sets you send in the outerslip/back sheet along with the cover art?

bunkaroo 04-22-09 09:06 AM

Well I've already upgraded any WB title I had to Blu if it's available so no joy for me. Then again, I did a majority of them during the BOGO at Amazon right before HD DVD folded so actually made a little money doing it.

Giles 04-22-09 09:12 AM

it's be more of an incentive if they released say 'Excalibur', 'Mutiny on the Bounty' 'Grand Prix' 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' on blu as exclusives to those who had purchased the HD-DVD editions, prior to the official bluray releases to the masses.

TheMovieman 04-22-09 09:15 AM

btw, I went to confirm order and there's a tax on it. I live in Oregon where there's no sales tax, wondered if there's anyone else who live in a state w/o a sales tax got the same thing...

MBoyd 04-22-09 09:17 AM

Not worth it to me . . . I don't own 3 HD DVD players for nothin'. ;)

TheMovieman 04-22-09 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd (Post 9402131)

Now thinking about it, I'm in the same boat... I could save that money to buy other things. I may still think about trading my Ocean's set later.

WMAangel 04-22-09 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by XavierMike (Post 9402061)
I don't see the Complete Matrix set listed-just the Ultimate set.

Unfortunately there is no Blu-ray equivalent set for the "Complete Matrix" collection, so it is not eligible...
Think of it like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...it is not out on Blu so it is not in the offer....

seymouru 04-22-09 09:28 AM

I feel the same way. I have 2 HD-XA2's (one in storage as a spare). So I'm perfectly happy with my current library of red discs, and always looking for more at clearance prices (i.e., < $5).

Mr. Cinema 04-22-09 09:30 AM

Good idea, but they should have done this a year ago. I only have a couple WB titles. Even if Universal and Paramount do a similar program, I'll probably pass. My A1 has worked almost flawlessly for 3 years and I don't think it'll break down anytime soon.

Sweet Baby James 04-22-09 09:43 AM

For me as well. I need something to feed my two HD-XA1's, A2, D3 and XBOX add-on.:)

WMAangel 04-22-09 09:44 AM

I might do this for some of the ones where the Blu-ray is completely equivalent....
I will NOT be trading in any where getting the BD would be a downgrade, for example:
Happy Feet - HD DVD is superior due to TrueHD lossless audio (BD only has DD)
Harry Potter 4 - HD DVD is superior due to IME PiP (not on BD release)
300 - HD DVD is currently superior due to IME PiP (not on BD release, though a better BD re-release will be out eventually)

Gizmo 04-22-09 09:45 AM

It would cost me around $500 to go from a movie in a Red case to a Blue case...pass. In some cases I would be 'downgrading' the audio (Happy Feet, Lady in the Water) and in some upgrading the PQ (The Perfect Storm). Makes no sense to me, with such a big collection, to switch when I have several HD DVD players that all work.

Still a great offer for those will small collections or those that feel the need to get everything in matching cases. For me, I'll be passing.

Trevor 04-22-09 09:51 AM

I think I'm going to pass as well.

But are there any titles where the BR release is an improvement on the HD?

WMAangel 04-22-09 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by tofferman (Post 9402088)
This is a fair deal to me at least. Now I hope Universal and Paramount launch similar programs.

While Paramount is very similar to Warner (in that both studios only have just a few titles left that were released on HD DVD and not yet on Blu), Universal would not be able to implement anything like this for quite awhile....they still have truck loads of HD DVD titles that are not yet even announced for Blu....

Jim 04-22-09 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by pmreed (Post 9402043)
This might be what it takes for me to finally go Blu. Don't have a BD player yet, but I've been thinking about it. I'm just concerned about software updates, as it's impractical for me to run a broadband connection to the player location due to my house layout.

Depending on the player, you don't need an internet connection at the player location to do an update. For example, Sony will send you an update disc if you request one and they seem to send them out very fast - within 3-4 days. Or you can download the update from the Sony site and burn the CD yourself. The PS3 is even easier because you can use a flash drive instead of having to burn a CD. I'd guess the other major brands have similar methods that don't require a broadband connection at the player location.