DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/553825-warner-launches-red2blu-trade-program.html)

Grubert 04-22-09 05:52 AM

Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

http://i44.tinypic.com/2j2hiti.png

For $4.95 per title + $6.95 S/H you can exchange up to 25 HD DVDs for "new industry-leading Blu-ray Discs." And you don't even need to send the discs or cases - only the sleeves! Plus you get a $15 off coupon for a purchase of $50 or more at wbshop.

You can access it here. The full rules are here.

Shagrath 04-22-09 06:26 AM

Re: Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

That's not bad at all. I'm sure my XBox360 HD-DVD drive is going to kick the bucket sooner or later, and I've got a few WB HD-DVDs.

Also, it would allow me to convert that Harry Potter set to Blu, so they can all be in the same format.

Snowmaker 04-22-09 06:43 AM

Time to start hitting the HD-DVD clearance bins/aisles.

Goldberg74 04-22-09 06:45 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my Harry Potter and Ocean HD-DVDs.

Cool thing about the Ocean's HD-DVDs is that it's $9.95 for the set. Cool. :up:

I just might do it.

... and you get to keep the HD-DVD version (sans cover art).

Snowmaker 04-22-09 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9401929)

... and you get to keep the HD-DVD version (sans cover art).

Or just scan and print a replacement before sending off the original.

redbill 04-22-09 07:28 AM

I can't tell if its $6.95 for up to 25 discs shipped, or $6.95 each.

edit: just added to cart and its a 1 time fee.

I may do this, I only have 3. Also have the Matrix Collection, but its from the UK, so that's probably a no-go.

ozzfan84 04-22-09 07:34 AM

Do you think they will accept the Complete Matrix Trilogy for the Ultimate Matrix Trilogy?

They don't have an option for switching out the regular 3 films, and the UPC number they are accepting for the other one is for the Ultimate one on HD-DVD.

PerryD 04-22-09 07:45 AM

Hmm, $130 to upgrade 25 HD-DVDs? Maybe another $10 for sales tax? I have to think about it, sounds like a lot of money.

Edit: I count 38 Warner HD-DVDs in my collection. I wonder how they are handling Casablanca?

starman9000 04-22-09 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath (Post 9401918)
That's not bad at all. I'm sure my XBox360 HD-DVD drive is going to kick the bucket sooner or later, and I've got a few WB HD-DVDs.

Also, it would allow me to convert that Harry Potter set to Blu, so they can all be in the same format.

Yeah, I don't plan on going Blu any time soon, but that's pretty tempting for the HP set.

Actually, maybe I should go Blu now. I wonder how much I could get for my Toshiba, a bunch of HD-DVDs and a bunch of non-artwork Warner HD-DVDs?

JayDerek 04-22-09 07:57 AM

I really wish they would've done this sooner, as I've sold off the majority of my HD-DVD's. :(

Ah well - this seems like a great program for those who haven't made the switch yet.

ozzfan84 04-22-09 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9401983)
Hmm, $130 to upgrade 25 HD-DVDs? Maybe another $10 for sales tax? I have to think about it, sounds like a lot of money.

Edit: I count 38 Warner HD-DVDs in my collection. I wonder how they are handling Casablanca?

I wondered about that too. That might be one that's worth it to send in. There is only the box set available, right? Or is there a book one, too?

PerryD 04-22-09 08:11 AM

Looking through the list, the only bad deal is Blade Runner where they want $15 for a collection that costs under $30 normally. Also, it looks like they are offering the new version of Christmas Story, but I'm not sure if Superman Returns is the new TrueHD version.

RichC2 04-22-09 08:13 AM

Disappointing they want $14.95 for Blade Runner after trade-in :(

Looks like I'll be trading over for Planet Earth, Pan's Labyrinth, The Shinning, a couple Harry Potter flicks, Galapagos, Casablanca, and Batman Begins. Will keep 300 until they reissue the Blu-ray.

chrisih8u 04-22-09 08:14 AM

Thats not too bad to trade my Harry Potter box set. I feel extra stupid for throwing away my Planet Earth collection because of a broken first disk. :hairpull:

Yavin 04-22-09 08:18 AM

Not for Canada :(

stingermck 04-22-09 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JayDerek (Post 9402000)
I really wish they would've done this sooner, as I've sold off the majority of my HD-DVD's. :(

Ah well - this seems like a great program for those who haven't made the switch yet.

Yup, I had my whole collection gone that fateful Sunday night/Monday morning.

pmreed 04-22-09 08:21 AM

This might be what it takes for me to finally go Blu. Don't have a BD player yet, but I've been thinking about it. I'm just concerned about software updates, as it's impractical for me to run a broadband connection to the player location due to my house layout.

SoSpacey 04-22-09 08:25 AM

I wish Universal would do this. Most of my small collection are Universal disks. I only have 300 and Alexander Revisted from Warner and I don't want to spend a penny to "upgrade" those 2 freebies.

kms_md 04-22-09 08:31 AM

i think i may take advantage of 300, constantine, and FMJ.

XavierMike 04-22-09 08:38 AM

I don't see the Complete Matrix set listed-just the Ultimate set.

PerryD 04-22-09 08:46 AM

I went ahead and put in my order, 19 movies (25 if you count Ultimate Matrix and Harry Potter movies) for $125 with tax and shipping. Casablanca is listed as the Ultimate Collector's Edition in the order, so that will be a nice upgrade if that comes through for $5.

Edit: Already received my order confirmation email with the prepaid shipping label attached.

tofferman 04-22-09 08:54 AM

This is a fair deal to me at least. Now I hope Universal and Paramount launch similar programs.

vedderone 04-22-09 08:58 AM

$15 plus tax and shipping for the Harry Potter set is a great deal

glasschicken 04-22-09 08:59 AM

Anyone think they'll replace my UK version of Planet Earth?

I sent them an email, I'll post the results when I hear back.

Gizmo 04-22-09 09:04 AM

Interesting. Just the sleeves, eh? I'm afraid to look at how many Warner titles I own...$100 for 20 to "convert" from Red to Blu seems like a lot if the discs look and play the same. Might do a select few (Casablanca).