Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Old 05-19-12, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by Giles
shit, just hand it over to Twilight Time, bump up the production number to 5,000 and let the feeding frenzy ensue. This maybe Paramount Home Video's cashcow, but the way they treat it, with complete disdain and ignorance is beyond ridiculous.
whoa now...fuck that. I don't want to pay 30 bucks for essentially a good transfer but shit on features. Give to the guys that did 1900 at least.
Old 05-19-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's just total bullshit on Paramount's part. They've been all-too-happy to rape fans for years with release after release, always dangling a carrot that "better editions" were on the horizon. Now they pull the plug after WB (wisely) scrapped a sequel to the remake, and after they'd already hinted at a BD box set.

Give these to Shout (not that it'll ever happen) or Olive. Hell, at this point I'd almost settle for Echo Bridge. I said almost.
Old 05-19-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 929 Posts

Did they scrap the sequel to the remake? I thought I had read a while back that a script was being written. The article doesn't make mention of it either it just says that Paramount is waiting for a sequel so they can try to cash in on the series. I didn't love the remake but I wouldn't mind another Friday the 13th entry if it's done correctly.
Old 05-19-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last I heard WB has said they have no interest in pursuing it. Honestly, if it's with the Platinum Dunes team again I'd prefer they didn't. I would, however, love to see a new Jason film at some point.
Old 05-19-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the more I go back and revisit the Friday the 13th remake the more I don't really care for it. The last time I watched it I couldn't even finish it. Just a lot in it that didn't sit right with me such as Jason acting smart and booby trapping the camp and the characters being largely unlikeable (except for the girls all had stupendous tits ). I would love another Friday the 13th as well though, Jason is probably my favorite of the horror characters.
Old 05-19-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Last I heard WB has said they have no interest in pursuing it. Honestly, if it's with the Platinum Dunes team again I'd prefer they didn't. I would, however, love to see a new Jason film at some point.
I remember initially they weren't going to, then after the NOES remake was so disappointing they decided to go ahead with it after all.

I didn't know it was postponed or cancelled again. Don't understand why since the first one was profitable. Still the only movie I've been to that the employees carded people going in to the physical theater to make sure they were over 17.
Old 05-19-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcfly
Don't understand why since the first one was profitable.
The film made money, but it has one of the largest second weekend drops on record. 81% drop as it went from a $41 million opening weekend to an $8 million second weekend. The film made over 60% of its total domestic gross in a three-day span which isn't good. Word was mostly glum from fans and non-fans alike. My buddy and I, who are fans of the franchise, enjoyed it. However, I can see why others hate it.

I'd rather have filmmakers who actually enjoy the franchise tackle a sequel rather than Bay and his cocksucking, ragtag group of hacks tackle another one.

... and if Paramount isn't going to continue the franchise on Blu-ray, license it out to a studio who'd love to have it.
Old 05-20-12, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Make everything available via press on demand with tons of special features ten bucks a pop. It would maximize revenue as people could always get what they want, no oop.

$5 digital copies. Problem solved.

I know I would spend more, if whatever so I happen to have a passing interest in is immediately available at a fair rate. (Beastmaster 2 would be in the mail right now)

Or hell make it $15 a pop and sell subscriptions to people to buy at $10 a pop.

So so many ways to capitalize on catalog titles. WTF is wrong with Paramount?
Old 05-20-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That'd be a good idea but no way $10 or $15 a pop is ever happening even if they went that route. I'm sure they'd charge out the ass for them and probably wouldn't even put many extras on them. Kinda like the Warner burn on demand program. Paramount is pretty shitty though. Probably my least favorite of the major studios for releases in general.
Old 05-20-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now they pull the plug after WB (wisely) scrapped a sequel to the remake,
Now you see, that's a shame. The latest Friday the 13th was a good example of what a remake can achieve--that is, taking a shit film and improving on it in virtually every area. Was kind of looking forward to a sequel.
Old 05-20-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The original was anything but a shit film. I will admit I thought it sucked when I was a kid but revisiting it now, I like it a lot better and I like some of the sequels a lot less that I used to like.
Old 05-20-12, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Now you see, that's a shame. The latest Friday the 13th was a good example of what a remake can achieve--that is, taking a shit film and improving on it in virtually every area. Was kind of looking forward to a sequel.
Wow really? Friday the 13th is one of the most classic slasher films in my opinion. The remake had it's moments but overall I really don't care for it that much. The best part of it was the prologue in my opinion. I liked the remake when I first saw it but the more times I've seen it the less I like it. The 80s films still hold up pretty well (even if many of them are cheesy).
Old 05-22-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unfortunately Horror is on the backburner with New Line/Warner and Platinum Dunes both. Also, Dunes has said in several interviews that when they go back to horror they will be revisiting the "Nightmare on Elm Street" franchise first because that remake made more money (which is BS because it did make $8 more than Friday the 13th, but cost TWICE as much to make).

Personally I'm just going to pick up the individual releases of the 1-3 and just live with the Camp Crystal Lake box-set I bought years ago until the others are released (if they are released). I mean it's 'Friday the 13th' - they don't need to look flawless, personally the *crappy* video is part of the charm, which is why I still keep the VHS copies of 3, 4, and 7.
Old 05-22-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,961 Likes on 2,024 Posts

I thought that both remakes, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, were completely ass.

Granted, the further you went in the F13 and NOES series, the worse the movies got (with the exception of F13 Part 6), but these remakes were just godawful tweener horror.

It's a shame because they probably could have made some really interesting remakes, but they just ended up making bland, generic tripe.

The original F13 and NOES series aren't necessarily good movies, but they do capture a sort of 1980s zeitgeist. They are very much creatures of their time; envelope-pushing byproducts of the "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" era of the 1970s. As such, the remakes just feel like anemic knock-offs, filled with perfectly coiffed people, saying witty script-doctored lines.
Old 05-22-12, 12:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The F13 remake was an abomination. All they did was take elements from the series and make fun of them. They destroyed the character of Jason by trying to make him sympathetic which was a major mistake. And WB realized that the F13 series only did well its opening weekend and then dropped like a boulder so they wisely pulled the plug on the sequel.
Old 05-22-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They should pick up with NOES and F13 that they did with Freddy's Nightmares. They pretty much let the director do whatever crazy stuff he wanted, nobody really complaining that it was too much for TV but just turn the franchises into DTV like they've done with Hellraiser. They aren't going to do anything worthwhile with either series, so do what you can and get what you can out of them. Granted, there's a lot more you can do with NOES unless you start heading off into backstories and having Jason travel around, like they've started doing with the more recent ones in the series.
Old 05-23-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
The F13 remake was an abomination. All they did was take elements from the series and make fun of them. They destroyed the character of Jason by trying to make him sympathetic which was a major mistake.
The "character?" Jason was not a character, he was a horny teen/local rube murder delivery system, and nothing more. You can't really destroy a character if there's nothing beneath the surface to start with.

And WB realized that the F13 series only did well its opening weekend and then dropped like a boulder
So...like almost every other horror movie then?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The original F13 and NOES series aren't necessarily good movies, but they do capture a sort of 1980s zeitgeist. They are very much creatures of their time; envelope-pushing byproducts of the "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" era of the 1970s.
While I will agree with you on the zeitgeist thing, there is nothing remotely envelope-pushing about Friday the 13th.

By the way, even given my feelings on this series, I refuse to believe Paramount couldn't turn a profit by putting the rest of the entries on BD. A lot of horror fans--and I'm saying this in the nicest way possible--aren't necessarily the most discerning when it comes to making film purchases. That, combined with F13's name recognition, should generate decent sales...which I guess is all one can hope for when it comes to catalog titles on BD.
Old 05-23-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, even given my feelings on this series, I refuse to believe Paramount couldn't turn a profit by putting the rest of the entries on BD. A lot of horror fans--and I'm saying this in the nicest way possible--aren't necessarily the most discerning when it comes to making film purchases. That, combined with F13's name recognition, should generate decent sales...which I guess is all one can hope for when it comes to catalog titles on BD.
I disagree with just about everything you said but this. I agree that Paramount could easily make some sort of profit off of releasing these on Blu-ray. Granted it may not be record breaking numbers or anything like that, but a lot of horror fans are geeks of the genre and will buy whatever shit gets put out. Releasing one of the biggest franchises in the genre on Blu-ray should be a no brainer if it were any other studio. Hell I'd even accept what Warner did with Nightmare on Elm Street if they'd do double feature sets. It wouldn't be ideal but at least the films would be out.
Old 06-12-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
^
And now the same site is reporting that the remaining films will NOT be receiving Blu-ray releases this year. From here:
It is news no one wants to hear or read about, but the fact that fans have not had the opportunity to purchase the Paramount Blu-Ray releases of Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter through Friday the13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan has been a huge sore spot for fans the past three years. This writer contends that the DVD releases of these films are perfectly reasonable to own and are a great addition to the Friday The 13th film library with loads of extra content. The picture and sound quality for the 2009 Deluxe DVD releases are superb compared to earlier DVD releases, so you are urged to track this down and purchase them now. Here is the big reason why.

Paramount Pictures will not be releasing the Blu-Ray discs for the aforementioned remaining Paramount films anytime soon! We are told that it is basically a matter of financial viability. Simply put, it is believed that the studio will not make back enough money to produce Blu-Ray discs of the films. Internet piracy is the main cuprit as many of our readers know someone that enjoys downloading films illegally online. The practice is all but killing the home video market and Paramount is wary of this. So, how can we get these long sought after films on Blu-Ray? Much the same way we got the Deluxe Edition DVD's and Blu-Rays the first time around, a new sequel in theaters.

We were informed that if Warner Brothers decides to greenlight a new sequel, then Paramount would be interested in releasing the other films on Blu-Ray. A brand new film raises awareness and creates an overall public need for the films on home video. One other way to possibly get The Final Chapter onward up to Jason Takes Manhattan released on Blu is for a huge critical and financial success of the new Crystal Lake Memories documentary. Although it seems less likely for the documentary to spearhead Blu-Ray resurgence for the Friday The 13th films, it is a possibility. Of course, this could all change at a drop of a hat, but the simple fact stand of right now, that sadly, Paramount will not be releasing the Blu-Rays for the remaining Paramount Friday The 13th films in this calendar year. Beyond is another possibility.
This really sucks. Probably just another attempt to sell more of the existing DVDs. I wish Paramount would stop with the threatening fans... "If this bland version doesn't sell well, there won't be any better future releases..."

I'm done. My "Crystal Lake to Manhattan" DVD box set and Parts 1-3 Blu-rays are just fine with me now.
Old 06-12-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that it's much, but Netflix does offer some of these streaming in HD. I know VI is HD, but VIII is not.

Maybe with the upcoming Crystal Lake Memories documentary there'll be renewed interest in bringing these out properly.
Old 06-13-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I would like to see a true sequel. With super Jason killing teens on a picture-esk alien planet.

I was also going to make a joke about a Prometheus crossover but fuck, Jason vs Aliens would be awesome!!!!

Hacking through Aliens with his machete, smoking from the acid, face-huggers bouncing off his mask!
Old 06-13-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for anything from Paramount.

Are the Deluxe Edition DVDs that much different from the Crystal Lake to Manhattan box?
Old 06-13-12, 01:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not that it's much, but Netflix does offer some of these streaming in HD. I know VI is HD, but VIII is not.

Maybe with the upcoming Crystal Lake Memories documentary there'll be renewed interest in bringing these out properly.
Wait, what? There's a new documentary coming out? Is it going to be like "Never Sleep Again"? Because I hope so!
Old 06-13-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Wait, what? There's a new documentary coming out? Is it going to be like "Never Sleep Again"? Because I hope so!
It's done by the same team and is based upon Peter M. Bracke's book.
Old 06-13-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is horrible news... but if the Friday doc is as good as Never Sleep Again, you never know... perhaps enough interest could be generated. Maybe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.