Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Old 06-16-09, 08:36 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

i am sure we will get more this year, i am sure not every title from paramount for the year has been announced yet. plus isnt wb releasing some of the newline produced fridays latter this year including freddy vs jason?
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
FYI -

7 and 8 have been announced for DVD on September 15th. You would think 4, 5 and 6 would come out this day as well on Blu-ray, right (judging by the previous waves)? Wrong. No more F13s are listed for Blu-ray by Paramount this year. Not sure if that's an error or they are waiting to see sales numbers of 2 or 3.
Old 06-16-09, 08:37 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

or perhaps they are holding off for Friday the 13th Part 2 when that gets released to theatres possibly next summer.
Old 06-16-09, 08:48 PM
  #53  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
or perhaps they are holding off for Friday the 13th Part 2 when that gets released to theatres possibly next summer.
Next summer? Very doubtful on that one.
Old 06-16-09, 09:04 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ghost World
Posts: 1,602
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

I'm only interested in upgrading these to blu-ray. I hope I will see at least 4-6 by September. There is also another Friday the 13th on the calendar in November. Great time to release parts 7 and 8 on blu too!
Old 06-16-09, 09:13 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

As long as when they eventually release the boxed set I don't get burned for buying them seperately (as in, they don't release a film or two so you HAVE to buy the boxed set), I'm cool. But I'm really weary in picking up parts 2 and 3 right now without knowing what the studios plans are....
Old 06-16-09, 09:23 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 29,021
Received 1,947 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Next summer? Very doubtful on that one.
That's what Platinum Dunes is hoping for -- August 13th, 2010 -- despite the fact that they don't have a script or anything.
Old 06-16-09, 10:13 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 was done in pretty much record time, they could do it if they wanted. Not that it would make Friday the 13th 2 (reboot 2, not old 2) any good, but then again, it's not like the first remake was any good either!
Old 06-16-09, 11:25 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,262
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Not that it would make Friday the 13th 2 (reboot 2, not old 2) any good, but then again, it's not like the first remake was any good either!
Disagree; I felt that the reboot to Friday the 13th complemented the original series just fine.
Old 06-17-09, 02:36 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

do prey tell, why you think its very doubtful that it could be out next summer.

do you forget, with the original movies, with only one exception there was a new one every year.

The same as how there is a new saw movie every halloween, these movies dont take a whole lot of effort or time to make.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Next summer? Very doubtful on that one.
Old 06-17-09, 02:38 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

was there a uk bluray release of parts 4 through 6 this week as well? the way they got parts 2 and 3 before us earlier this year as well
Old 06-17-09, 09:45 AM
  #61  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
That's what Platinum Dunes is hoping for -- August 13th, 2010 -- despite the fact that they don't have a script or anything.
Gees....that's really fast. I thought Platinum Dunes was working on ANOES Rmake first (or is that a different studio?)

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
do prey tell, why you think its very doubtful that it could be out next summer.

do you forget, with the original movies, with only one exception there was a new one every year.

The same as how there is a new saw movie every halloween, these movies dont take a whole lot of effort or time to make.
That was in the 80's...things tend to be a bit different nowadays with 1-3 years passing for most sequels. SAW is the only franchise that seems to spit a new flick out every year and I wonder if its because Lionsgate has very little else going on or because most of the films seem to be contained to only a few sets.

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
was there a uk bluray release of parts 4 through 6 this week as well? the way they got parts 2 and 3 before us earlier this year as well
No
Old 06-17-09, 11:31 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 29,021
Received 1,947 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Gees....that's really fast. I thought Platinum Dunes was working on ANOES Rmake first (or is that a different studio?)
Also Platinum Dunes, but maybe they're big enough to juggle all that...or at least juggle pre-production on one while another is in full swing.
Old 06-18-09, 02:25 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

yes nightmare on elmstreet is in production now.

i kinda had to laugh at your things tend to be different nowadays response to me saying back in the 80s they did one a year, but then go on to say 1-3years pass for most sequals, since august 13th 2010 is actually a little over a year and half after the most recent friday was released this last febuary.

in anycase if wb can get a big event film like a new harry potter sequal in theatres every 18 months then there is no reason why they can not do the same for friday the 13th once again.


and you might want to rethink your logic about saw since it only has a few sets, incase you didnt notice friday the 13th really doesnt have a lot of sets itself.

Lionsgate releases saw every year cause(like friday the 13th) they are cheap to make and they bring them in a profit every time.


Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Gees....that's really fast. I thought Platinum Dunes was working on ANOES Rmake first (or is that a different studio?)



That was in the 80's...things tend to be a bit different nowadays with 1-3 years passing for most sequels. SAW is the only franchise that seems to spit a new flick out every year and I wonder if its because Lionsgate has very little else going on or because most of the films seem to be contained to only a few sets.



No
Old 06-18-09, 09:09 AM
  #64  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,630
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
yes nightmare on elmstreet is in production now.

i kinda had to laugh at your things tend to be different nowadays response to me saying back in the 80s they did one a year, but then go on to say 1-3years pass for most sequals, since august 13th 2010 is actually a little over a year and half after the most recent friday was released this last febuary.

in anycase if wb can get a big event film like a new harry potter sequal in theatres every 18 months then there is no reason why they can not do the same for friday the 13th once again.


and you might want to rethink your logic about saw since it only has a few sets, incase you didnt notice friday the 13th really doesnt have a lot of sets itself.

Lionsgate releases saw every year cause(like friday the 13th) they are cheap to make and they bring them in a profit every time.
let's hope the deleted scenes get seen on the bluray release notably the snippet of gore that got clipped as the request of the MPAA.
Old 06-18-09, 10:02 AM
  #65  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
yes nightmare on elmstreet is in production now.

i kinda had to laugh at your things tend to be different nowadays response to me saying back in the 80s they did one a year, but then go on to say 1-3years pass for most sequals, since august 13th 2010 is actually a little over a year and half after the most recent friday was released this last febuary.

in anycase if wb can get a big event film like a new harry potter sequal in theatres every 18 months then there is no reason why they can not do the same for friday the 13th once again.

and you might want to rethink your logic about saw since it only has a few sets, incase you didnt notice friday the 13th really doesnt have a lot of sets itself.

Lionsgate releases saw every year cause(like friday the 13th) they are cheap to make and they bring them in a profit every time.
Yes, "most sequels". You can't cherry pick one (a very profitable one for WB at that) and call it the norm. Look at the time between the Spider-Man films, Bond films, X-Men etc. Potter has a generation of fans that are growing up fast and the best way to cash in on them is by doing the sequels as fast as possible (like the Twilight saga). And yes, I know adults read the books etc. F13 fans span 3 decades so its never a bad time to release a slasher flick.

Lionsgate has nothing but SAW and Tyler Perry films to keep the studio afloat so if they can spit out a sequel to either of them every year they will do it - no matter how bad it may be.
Old 06-18-09, 05:54 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Don't they release a Tyler Perry film every three months? !
Old 06-18-09, 06:05 PM
  #67  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Don't they release a Tyler Perry film every three months? !
It seems like they do. He even has his own TV Show.
Old 06-18-09, 11:18 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Who is cherry picking one. If WB can produce a movie as large scale as the harry potter films every 18 months, then yeah there is no reason why they can not produce a new friday the 13th every year like was done by paramount in the past. And friday the 13th was also very profitable for wb as well, it had a small budget and made its budget back several times over.
every single friday the 13th ever produced has been a money maker for the studios. your examples of x-men and bond and spiderman are not good comparisons you mention movies that utalize the same cast over and over and have huge sky high production budgets, where as friday the 13th budgets are not that big, and there is less risk involved,and like i said EVERY friday the 13 has made a profit. and for the most part each friday the 13th has a different cast, so you dont have to worry about paying higher paychecks to returning cast members. a movie like friday the 13th can be shot in less than 2 months and well into post production shortly there after.

and thanks for reminding me of twilght another example of being able to produce a new sequal every year.

one last thing if lionsgate only has saw and tyler perry movies, how is it they released 20 films last year, and they have 22 on tap for this year(including heath ledgers final movie)

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yes, "most sequels". You can't cherry pick one (a very profitable one for WB at that) and call it the norm. Look at the time between the Spider-Man films, Bond films, X-Men etc. Potter has a generation of fans that are growing up fast and the best way to cash in on them is by doing the sequels as fast as possible (like the Twilight saga). And yes, I know adults read the books etc. F13 fans span 3 decades so its never a bad time to release a slasher flick.

Lionsgate has nothing but SAW and Tyler Perry films to keep the studio afloat so if they can spit out a sequel to either of them every year they will do it - no matter how bad it may be.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 06-18-09 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 11:20 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

they release one or two a year cause they are very profitable with low budgets and wide built in audience.
Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Don't they release a Tyler Perry film every three months? !
Old 06-18-09, 11:42 PM
  #70  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Who is cherry picking one. If WB can produce a movie as large scale as the harry potter films every 18 months, then yeah there is no reason why they can not produce a new friday the 13th every year like was done by paramount in the past. And friday the 13th was also very profitable for wb as well, it had a small budget and made its budget back several times over.

every single friday the 13th ever produced has been a money maker for the studios. your examples of x-men and bond and spiderman are not good comparisons you mention movies that utalize the same cast over and over and have huge sky high production budgets, where as friday the 13th budgets are not that big, and there is less risk involved,and like i said EVERY friday the 13 has made a profit. and for the most part each friday the 13th has a different cast, so you dont have to worry about paying higher paychecks to returning cast members. a movie like friday the 13th can be shot in less than 2 months and well into post production shortly there after.
As I said, Harry Potter is cherry picked. X-men, Spider-Man, Bonds etc have several years between sequels. Harry Potter has no choice but to produce them as fast as possible because the young cast won't stop growing. If they had 3 years between each film the kid who plays Harry Potter will be 30 by the time the last movie completes.

and thanks for reminding me of twilght another example of being able to produce a new sequal every year.
As I said, Summit knows that the fans are growing up and want to release the films as fast as possible to cash-in. The cast is also made up of young adult (many who can't age as Vampires) so they need to do these fast before they grow as well. This is also the only thing Summit has going for it so they would be stupid not to pump these out every year.

one last thing if lionsgate only has saw and tyler perry movies, how is it they released 20 films last year, and they have 22 on tap for this year(including heath ledgers final movie)
Because they chose to produce other films and hope for a goldmine. Does not mean they don't pump out Saw and Tyler Perry films to keep their other films afloat. Take a look at the films they put out in 2008 - The Eye, Diaster Movie, The Bank Job, Midnight Meat Train, My Best Friends Girl, Punisher War Zone, The Marriage Counseler, The Perfect Game, etc. A bunch of crap.
Old 06-19-09, 01:37 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

It is not cherry picked! you really just dont get it do you and you really just dont want to admit YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I love how this whole thing started when you said that it "wasnt really likely that there would be a new friday the thirteenth in only a year" after i listed the date that the FILMS PRODUCTION COMPANY has PUBLICLY stated they are Aiming for.(Really dont see how YOU would know more than them when they are aiming for a release) and mentioned that we got a new friday every year back in the 80s.

your argument back was things are done differently now, but yet when i mention other films that are put out on regular basis backing up what i wrote, you choose to say iam cherry picking.

If it was done then there is no reason it can not be done now.

you wanna know why its 3 years between xmen and james bond and the like its because the talent both in front of and behind the cameras have other projects they work on.
Alot of low budget horror movies dont have that baggage, cause you very rarely have the same cast(with the possible exception of 1 actor) and same director.
Not to mention that when a movie like xmen last stand costs about 210million to make but only grosses 234 million domesticly there is not exactly a rush to get out another sequal on a film that barely makes its budget back or a small tiny profit. friday the 13th cost less than 20 million and gorssed 65 million domesticly (less risk cause of a smaller budget and the result is a bigger profit )




keep on believeing what you want but, I guess we will see how right you are aug 13 2010.

oh and finally just cause lionsgates slate of movies isnt to your likeing doesnt mean they are crap, nor does it mean they didnt make money either.

in anycase iam done debating this with you cause you obviously "ARE 100 PERCENT RIGHT " no matter what.




Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
As I said, Harry Potter is cherry picked. X-men, Spider-Man, Bonds etc have several years between sequels. Harry Potter has no choice but to produce them as fast as possible because the young cast won't stop growing. If they had 3 years between each film the kid who plays Harry Potter will be 30 by the time the last movie completes.



As I said, Summit knows that the fans are growing up and want to release the films as fast as possible to cash-in. The cast is also made up of young adult (many who can't age as Vampires) so they need to do these fast before they grow as well. This is also the only thing Summit has going for it so they would be stupid not to pump these out every year.



Because they chose to produce other films and hope for a goldmine. Does not mean they don't pump out Saw and Tyler Perry films to keep their other films afloat. Take a look at the films they put out in 2008 - The Eye, Diaster Movie, The Bank Job, Midnight Meat Train, My Best Friends Girl, Punisher War Zone, The Marriage Counseler, The Perfect Game, etc. A bunch of crap.
Old 06-19-09, 01:38 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Getting back to friday the 13th, I just finished watching part 3 in 3D and it was nice finally seeing this in 3D at HOME!
Old 06-19-09, 08:29 AM
  #73  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
It is not cherry picked! you really just dont get it do you and you really just dont want to admit YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I love how this whole thing started when you said that it "wasnt really likely that there would be a new friday the thirteenth in only a year" after i listed the date that the FILMS PRODUCTION COMPANY has PUBLICLY stated they are Aiming for.(Really dont see how YOU would know more than them when they are aiming for a release) and mentioned that we got a new friday every year back in the 80s.

your argument back was things are done differently now, but yet when i mention other films that are put out on regular basis backing up what i wrote, you choose to say iam cherry picking.

If it was done then there is no reason it can not be done now.

you wanna know why its 3 years between xmen and james bond and the like its because the talent both in front of and behind the cameras have other projects they work on.
Alot of low budget horror movies dont have that baggage, cause you very rarely have the same cast(with the possible exception of 1 actor) and same director.
Not to mention that when a movie like xmen last stand costs about 210million to make but only grosses 234 million domesticly there is not exactly a rush to get out another sequal on a film that barely makes its budget back or a small tiny profit. friday the 13th cost less than 20 million and gorssed 65 million domesticly (less risk cause of a smaller budget and the result is a bigger profit )




keep on believeing what you want but, I guess we will see how right you are aug 13 2010.

oh and finally just cause lionsgates slate of movies isnt to your likeing doesnt mean they are crap, nor does it mean they didnt make money either.

in anycase iam done debating this with you cause you obviously "ARE 100 PERCENT RIGHT " no matter what.
You actually only listed Harry Potter (and SAW) and I cited two reasons why they come out as fast as they do (cash-in on the young audience before they stop caring and the cast growing too fast for HP, and Lionsgate needing a Saw to keep their other pics afloat). But whatever man. Can't believe we got into a discussion about this because of a date next August.
Old 06-20-09, 07:50 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Anybody know how I switch between the two cuts on the F13th remake blu-ray?
Old 06-20-09, 08:03 PM
  #75  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th Part II and III ----> 6/16/09

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Anybody know how I switch between the two cuts on the F13th remake blu-ray?
Theatrical Cut is in the "bonus features" section. It defaults to the Killer Cut.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.