DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Where's the other Kubrick films? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/552908-wheres-other-kubrick-films.html)

gglass4269 04-05-09 08:32 PM

Where's the other Kubrick films?

I'm mainly wanting to know if Barry Lyndon is in the works. Besides 2001 I think Lyndon is the most deserving film for a Blu-ray upgrade.

lamphorn 04-05-09 09:12 PM

Re: Where's the other Kubrick films?

I would buy Barry Lyndon on day one. Don't know why it was left out of the last collection.

RobLutter 04-05-09 09:56 PM

I'd love Paths of Glory & Lolita remastered in HD. Spartacus only if they go back to the drawing board and use the Criterion master... the HD-DVD was just HORRENDOUS.

I think Barry Lyndon must've been a very poor seller the first 2 times around on DVD (original and remastered), which is a shame because I believe it is Kubrick's finest film visually. That film, I believe is as close as a moving picture can get to being a work of art.

beebs 04-05-09 10:18 PM

I saw a huge stack of Barry Lyndon snapper releases in Big Lots today for $3, right next to a bunch of Eyes Wide Shut today. These are the "open matte" releases.

NoirFan 04-05-09 11:05 PM

WB announced during the last HFT chat that they had no plans to revisit Barry Lyndon or Lolita.

Drexl 04-05-09 11:21 PM

Not even for BD? I could understand not doing extras, but no BD release?

I assumed they were not popular enough to justify releasing - in 2007. Now, I'd think they could do it.

GenPion 04-06-09 01:51 AM

I'd buy all the rest of his films on BD. Why NOT release them? Seriously.

I would LOVE to get a BD release of Lolita. That is one of my all time favorites. It would be a Day One Purchase for me.

gglass4269 04-06-09 10:13 AM

If they had no intentions of releasing it again, how hard do you think it'd be for a company like Criterion to snag the rights?

Giles 04-06-09 10:17 AM

I'm really mad my DVR didn't record Barry Lyndon when it aired in hidef on HDNet Movies awhile back.

islandclaws 04-06-09 10:53 AM

BL and Lolita are the only 2 Kubrick films I don't own, but I don't want to buy them because I'd rather wait for a BD release. I don't care if they give them new extras or not, just put them out.

GenPion 04-06-09 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9371450)
BL and Lolita are the only 2 Kubrick films I don't own, but I don't want to buy them because I'd rather wait for a BD release. I don't care if they give them new extras or not, just put them out.

If it comes down to the extras preventing these releases, I'd pick them up feature-less. These movies deserve the Blu-ray treatment. Period.

kefrank 04-07-09 04:38 PM

I'd buy a BD of Paths of Glory on release day. Lolita and Barry Lyndon I would probably rent.

Supermallet 04-07-09 04:55 PM

I'd buy Paths of Glory, Spartacus, and Barry Lyndon. I'd probably buy Lolita just to be a completist, but I don't really care much for it.

clckworang 04-07-09 05:23 PM

I would buy anything from Kubrick on Blu-ray, no doubt about it. I would even buy A Life in Pictures. I still find it baffling that all of the Kubrick films weren't put on HD all at once as a big boxset, even if not all those titles were available individually. I'm sure we'll get them eventually, though.

musick 04-09-09 03:17 PM

slightly OT: but if you are a Kubrick fan hopefully you are looking at this thread

don't know if they got hold of some old inventory of the original pressing or if this is closeout on the 25th anniversary pressing but B&N has The Stanley Kubrick Archives book on their website at $19.99

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ean=0641953968

act now if you are even thinking about it

Drexl 04-09-09 03:23 PM

And now it's sold out. :(

musick 04-09-09 03:30 PM

didn't expect it to last long at that price
ISBN# (ISBN-13: 9780641953965) was different than the original first printing release (ISBN-13: 9783822822845) and the reissue (ISBN-13: 9783836508896)

NoirFan 04-12-09 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9370831)
Not even for BD? I could understand not doing extras, but no BD release?

This is the exact quote from the chat transcript:

<Blimey> Any plans on BARRY LYNDON and LOLITA?? Thanks!!

<warnerbros> If you mean new editions on those titles, no, not at this time. Thanks.

Drexl 04-12-09 11:43 AM

What makes it suck even more is that the DVDs aren't anamorphic.

GenPion 04-12-09 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9383637)

Yeah, I know... :(

I guess we'll have the wait on these BD releases.

Doctorossi 04-12-09 01:52 PM

The second release of Barry Lyndon is.

theWitcher 04-12-09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 9383750)
The second release of Barry Lyndon is.

Not in USA.

When did WB start issuing 1.66:1 titles as 16x9? It took them a long time.