Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox's "Dollhouse" Season 1 coming to Blu-ray!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Fox's "Dollhouse" Season 1 coming to Blu-ray!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fox's "Dollhouse" Season 1 coming to Blu-ray!

Are the unaired episodes on the same disc?
Old 08-06-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Are the unaired episodes on the same disc?
'Epitaph One' and the original pilot are both on Disc Three.
Old 08-06-09, 07:50 PM
Banned

So is this show actually any good? We didn't sell that many of them at the store I work at. I might rent it from netflix sometime down the road.
Old 08-06-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am baffled with the cardboard reproduction of the front art glued to the plastic wrap, I can't even begin to imagine what the point of that was for. Mine came off pretty easily, but I can't figure why I would need to save it, and I do normally keep the slipcovers/ inserts/ etc.
Old 08-06-09, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by LeRoy
So is this show actually any good? We didn't sell that many of them at the store I work at. I might rent it from netflix sometime down the road.
My personally opinion is that the show starts off pretty weak for the first 5 episodes or so, then gets way better after that. If you like Joss Whedon shows then chances are good that you'll like it.
Old 08-06-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LeRoy
So is this show actually any good?
Not at the beginning, but it is by the end.

Episodes 1-5 are pretty bland; kinda fun and worth watching if only because Eliza's Dushku's in 'em (i.e. not quite as repetitive and simple-minded as 'Tru Calling' but still quite clearly made to order for the more timid element of the perceived audience, presumably with notes from Fox execs). The show only really starts to feel like a Joss Whedon production for episodes 6-9 and 11-13. (10 is kinda more like a 'Murder She Wrote' episode, but does have an unexamined subtext that comes in to play in a more sophisticated way in the unaired finale)
Old 08-16-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

This turned out to be my big, last minute, out-of-the-blue impulse purchase from the DD sale.
This wasn't even on my radar until it got released on disc, and I bullied ahead despite the mixed word of mouth in this thread (in particular some damning criticism from Josh, whose opinions I usually give a lot of weight to).
I figured I would at least see an interesting failure, with Dushku as eye candy.

I guess it was the mixed WOM coupled with just how lame and formulaic some of the first eps were, but by the end of the series proper (ep 12) I was very glad I picked it up.

I guess I'll confine any plot specific comments to the thread in the TV section, but I just wanted to thank so many people here for being less than enthusiastic about the show. Keeping my expectations lowered made this a very pleasant surprise.
Old 08-17-09, 06:32 PM
Banned

I guess I'll try and rent it from netflix after I finish up Mad Men S2.
Old 09-03-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well after nearly 16 years of CD, DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray collecting, it finally happened. I got a missing disc!

I bought Dollhouse: Season One Blu-ray from Second Spin earlier tonight. It was marked used, but had never been opened so I picked it up for $25. I get home, open it up and disc 2 is nowhere to be found.

Ugh. So now my options are to head back to Second Spin and hope they have another copy, or hope that FOX responds to the E-mail I just sent them about this.

You never think its going to happen to you...
Old 09-04-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Had it really never been opened or did someone just reshrinkwrap it to hide the fact they lost the 2nd disc
Old 09-05-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^Had it really never been opened or did someone just reshrinkwrap it to hide the fact they lost the 2nd disc
Naw, it was the same as you'd get from anywhere else. The sticker on top was untouched, the cardboard that FOX is putting on their TV shows now was stuck right to the wrap with that glue stuff they use. In fact, the case has the imprint of where the glue was.

If someone did open it, they did a hell of a job sealing it back up.
Old 09-08-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I decided not to wait to hear back from FOX and instead went back to Second Spin. Luckilly they still had a second copy and they let me exchange it. The second copy had all three discs (I opened it at the counter to be sure).