Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox/MGM Catalog Titles in June and July 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Fox/MGM Catalog Titles in June and July 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
Re: Fox/MGM Catalog Titles in June and July 2009

Only one more week until I have Road House on bluray, it probably won't look a whole lot better than the current dvd, but should be awesome in DTS-MA.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-24-09 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Ugh. Can't Fox do anything right? Pass.
Mother fuckers. I wonder if its even worth upgrading my HD DVD copy now.

HD DVD = VC1 with DTS MA 2.0
Blu-ray = MPEG2 (circa 2006/7) with DTS HD 5.1 along with DVD copy

Ugh. VC1 is likely to be a alot nicer and I doubt the 5.1 would be all that amazing. So fucking pissed MGM is still going this shit.

Last edited by Gizmo; 05-23-09 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. Can't Fox do anything right? Pass.
What are you talking about? Come on, you know that this means it is better since they used MPEG-2 since it is less compressed!

Yes, this is disappointing, but hopefully since it has a cheap list price, it will be one of those 12.99-13.99 Costco specials that I'll eventually see there....I figure it will be worth it at that price point, even if it is an older/inferior encode....
Old 05-23-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Mother fuckers. I wonder if its even worth upgrading my HD DVD copy now.

HD DVD = VC1 with DTS MA 2.0
Blu-ray = MPEG2 (circa 2006/7) with DTS HD 5.1 along with DVD copy

Ugh. VC1 is likely to be a alot nicer and I doubt the 5.1 would be all that amazing. So fucking pissed MGM is still going this shit.
Didn't the Studio Canal HD DVD have the pitch issue though? Might be worth getting the BD for that reason, but that's still not much incentive.
Old 05-24-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
DVD Beaver on The Graduate
It would be nice if Beaver didn't deny the existence of HD DVD.

Anyone happen to see a review comparing the Blu-ray to the HD DVD?
Old 05-24-09, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Didn't the Studio Canal HD DVD have the pitch issue though? Might be worth getting the BD for that reason, but that's still not much incentive.
No, The Graduate HD-DVD didn't suffer from the pitch issue.
Old 05-24-09, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It would be nice if Beaver didn't deny the existence of HD DVD.

Anyone happen to see a review comparing the Blu-ray to the HD DVD?
Well, I'll likely bite the bullet and get the BD so I'll compare the two. Can't believe this crap is still happening.
Old 05-27-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I don't know how i feel about this. Dvdempire has the back cover up for Road House on its website now, and it says there are no extras on the bluray, but includes a copy of the DE dvd which I already own. I was hoping the bluray would have all the extras as well. I hardly ever watch Road house without the Kevin Smith commentary or the trivia track.

Disc 1: Blu-ray
Full-Length Feature Film In High Definition
Smart Menu Technology

Disc 2: Standard DVD
Full-Length Feature Film In Standard Definition
Audio Commentary With Director Rowdy Herrington
Audio Commentary With Road House Fans Kevin Smith And Scott Mosier
What Would Dalton Do? Documentary
On The Road House Featurette
Trivia Track

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-29-09 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Its funny - to get around doing new, fresh MPEG4 encodes and using BD50 discs they instead recycled the 2+ year old encodes, BD25 discs and threw in Disc 1 from the previous DVD. Really pathetic of MGM.
Old 05-27-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wasn't even complaining about the encode, I mean, the transfer looks alright, but more the fact that they couldn't be bothered to include the extras on the disc itself, like a real Blu-Ray. Same with Road House.
Old 05-27-09, 05:56 PM
Suspended

I wasn't even complaining about the encode, I mean, the transfer looks alright, but more the fact that they couldn't be bothered to include the extras on the disc itself, like a real Blu-Ray. Same with Road House.
Why would they when they can press the film on a BD25 and toss in Disc 1 from the previous DVD? That appears to be a cheaper solution for MGM.
Old 05-27-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its funny - to get around doing new, fresh MPEG4 encodes and using BD50 discs they instead recycled the 2+ year old encodes, BD25 discs and threw in Disc 1 from the previous DVD. Really pathetic of MGM.
That does suck, but it is an exception to their rule. IMO Warner (as always) is the studio that needs to step up and dump VC1 for AVC. I'll give them credit though, at least it seems they are much better about including lossless audio on their latest releases.
Old 05-27-09, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hammer99
That does suck, but it is an exception to their rule. IMO Warner (as always) is the studio that needs to step up and dump VC1 for AVC. I'll give them credit though, at least it seems they are much better about including lossless audio on their latest releases.
Warner has always been VC1 which is going to be superior to any of these crap MPEG2 transfers MGM is digging up from 2006/2007. I've never had a problem with VC1 and its being used by other studios as well (Universal, Weinstein and smaller ones). Warner is also almost 100% lossless with the exception of some old holdback titles (like Spring Breakdown coming out next week - DD5.1). I just can't help but shake my head when we see stuff like this happening in 2009.
Old 05-27-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Warner has always been VC1 which is going to be superior to any of these crap MPEG2 transfers MGM is digging up from 2006/2007. I've never had a problem with VC1 and its being used by other studios as well (Universal, Weinstein and smaller ones). Warner is also almost 100% lossless with the exception of some old holdback titles (like Spring Breakdown coming out next week - DD5.1). I just can't help but shake my head when we see stuff like this happening in 2009.
Agree that VC1 will most likely be better than any 2006/2007 MPEG2 transfer, but in 2009, VC1 is also an ancient codec. IMO AVC should be the universal standard.
Old 06-02-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone on blu-ray.com received Out of Time and said the BD is barebones, but it includes the dvd.
Old 06-02-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suspect something else may be motivating them to take this approach, but I'm not sure what. Being able to advertise "Includes DVD version for your car/portable player!", perhaps? I just can't believe that in the case of all of these titles, the video encode is so close to maxing out a BD-25 that they can't even fit two or three Dolby Digital commentary tracks on the same disc. If the DVD they included was disc 2, it'd be a different story.
Old 06-02-09, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Someone on blu-ray.com received Out of Time and said the BD is barebones, but it includes the dvd.
Yep - and its a total shame.
Old 06-02-09, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I suspect something else may be motivating them to take this approach, but I'm not sure what. Being able to advertise "Includes DVD version for your car/portable player!", perhaps? I just can't believe that in the case of all of these titles, the video encode is so close to maxing out a BD-25 that they can't even fit two or three Dolby Digital commentary tracks on the same disc. If the DVD they included was disc 2, it'd be a different story.
These were originally all going to be barebones BD25 discs in 2007 - so that's exactly what they are delivering. Somehow MGM thinks tossing in the Disc 1 from the DVD will help them sell because they can say "well, we gave you bonus features..." but that's just a very poor excuse. They need to be on 1 disc - and not MPEG2's damnit!
Old 06-02-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These were originally all going to be barebones BD25 discs in 2007 - so that's exactly what they are delivering.
So, you think the discs were all pressed and sitting in a warehouse? Or maybe just that the authoring (barebones menus, etc.) was all done and it's cheaper to toss in DVD 1 than to hire someone to add the commentary tracks to the existing deliverable.
Old 06-03-09, 01:52 PM
Suspended

So, you think the discs were all pressed and sitting in a warehouse? Or maybe just that the authoring (barebones menus, etc.) was all done and it's cheaper to toss in DVD 1 than to hire someone to add the commentary tracks to the existing deliverable.
Anyone with a BD Drive can tell when they were authored to disc. For example, Spring Breakdown that came out yesterday was authored sometime in January.

To my knowledge these were prepared in 2006/2007 and just never pressed. Remember when Fox announced all those titles at CES 2007 and just left? Well, this is what they were planning on releasing. Since MGM was heavily MPEG2 back then they just didn't bother to update them in 2009. With catalog sales poor on anything not big (Bond) for MGM why even bother (in their mindset)?

These BD/DVD packs are MGMs future. Release an MPEG2 title on a BD25 and toss in a DVD with special features. To them, this is great! Not only can they use cheaper (what studio still uses them?) BD25 discs, but they can get rid of old stock DVDs at the same time. To them, consumers just love this idea. Other studios give away Digital Copies so getting a whole DVD is great to, right? Wrong. If you want to include a bonus DVD (at no additional charge) go for it, but don't make us watch the extras on the DVD (including commentary). MGM needs to do what every other studio does - get a BD50, MPEG4/VC1 and put all the features on 1 disc (if possible). Yes, the extras will likely be in SD, but at least they will be on the same disc.

While everyone else will say "well, at least these look better than the DVD!!!" that's as bad as the "good enough" that was ragged on in previous years. Why should we settle for "good enough" in 2009? It's not like these are rare prints of previously unknown cuts. They need some serious TLC (at least the classic films like The Graduate and Silent of the Lambs). We are in 2009 - not 2006. Sony knows that as they ditched previous MPEG2 encodes (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) for fresh MPEG4 transfers. No major studio uses MPEG2 - except MGM.
Old 06-03-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No major studio uses MPEG2 - except MGM.
Yes, but do they "use" it, or are they just clearing out all this pre-prepped stuff? I'd be quite surprised if they're using MPEG2 on anything they're currently preparing.
Old 06-03-09, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Yes, but do they "use" it, or are they just clearing out all this pre-prepped stuff? I'd be quite surprised if they're using MPEG2 on anything they're currently preparing.
I'd like to think they are MPEG4 only now (with the Bonds being that) but I can't recall any other recent MGM catalog title that has used anything other than MPEG2. Even the Child's Play and Lecter titles were TBA a few years back (not mentioned anywhere but on a list). I have no idea if they began work on them or not (though Childs Play was recently re-released last October on DVD IIRC). Sigh.
Old 06-03-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You could always call 1-888-223-2369 to complain about it. If they keep doing it, I'm going to do it.
Old 06-04-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is indeed a disturbing trend. I want all of my extras on the same disc as the movie. I don't even care if they're in SD (since many are anyways) but many buyers, such as myself, probably own these DVDs already, so having them included is hardly an acceptable solution. If studios want BD to sell well they need to make every effort possible to have it viewed as a superior product in every way. Good pq and aq aren't the only requirements for me to buy a BD.
Old 06-04-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I picked up Walking Tall, and The Graduate tonight at MovieStop. It is kinda odd that they include the DVD, but id rather have that than a useless digital copy. And each was $18 which was nice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.