Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Shows and Movies That Blu-Ray Will Not Matter?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-31-09, 06:02 PM

Does anyone know of a resource on the web that shows what format TV Shows and Movies were filmed in. 16mm, Video, HD Video, etc...

I am finding myself looking at stuff I want to buy but am hesitating with the hope that they may show up on Blu-Ray.

But I could end up waiting forever on those shoes and movies that on Blu-Ray would not be of any benefit because they really can't be transferred to HD.

Sorry if I am not explaining that the right way but I as sure you know what I mean.

I am especially interested in the Brit stuff like Poirot, Marple, Holmes, Agatha Christie, P.D. James, Frost, Midsomer Murders, etc..

Thanks,

James
Old 03-31-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: TV Shows and Movies That Blu-Ray Will Not Matter?

The stuff you mentioned has a 5% chance of coming out on Blu-ray in the next few years - if ever. The demand for catalog TV is incredibly low and even popular stuff that was in SD (Friends, Seinfeld) is still up in the air because of various reasons. The only real stuff you will see on BD from TV shows in new shows still airing.
Old 03-31-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow View Post
Does anyone know of a resource on the web that shows what format TV Shows and Movies were filmed in. 16mm, Video, HD Video, etc...
IMDB is the best place that I know of.
Old 03-31-09, 06:27 PM

Thanks! I will check out IMDB.

I know that there is probably a lot of stuff that will take years, if ever, as you say. It's just that with my luck as soon as I buy a $100.00 box set in SD they will announce a Blu-Ray release the week after. LOL!

The strange thing is that even if you are pretty sure it won't come out on HD there is always that very slim chance (when you don't know for sure how it was filmed) in the back of your mind and hence the hesitation to buy or not to buy.

James
Old 03-31-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

FYI, the relevant information, if IMDb has it, is under a tab marked "technical specs" on the page for a given show you want to know about.
Old 03-31-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow View Post
Thanks! I will check out IMDB.

I know that there is probably a lot of stuff that will take years, if ever, as you say. It's just that with my luck as soon as I buy a $100.00 box set in SD they will announce a Blu-Ray release the week after. LOL!

The strange thing is that even if you are pretty sure it won't come out on HD there is always that very slim chance (when you don't know for sure how it was filmed) in the back of your mind and hence the hesitation to buy or not to buy.

James
Most shows were filmed with ether film or in HD so don't be too worry about that. However, some of the older shows that were filmed on standard def tape, won't ever get a blu release because there will be no benifits.