DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Netflix raises price of Blu-ray rentals...again! (April 09) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/552508-netflix-raises-price-blu-ray-rentals-again-april-09-a.html)

Gizmo 03-30-09 01:33 PM

Netflix raises price of Blu-ray rentals...again! (April 09)

Once again! (Figured a new thread was in order since many will assume the other one is just "old news".)

http://i.gizmodo.com/5190780/netflix...ing-april-27th

You knew that a $1 premium for Blu-ray titles wasn't going to last forever. Citing an increase in demand, Netflix will be increasing their Blu-ray subscription price by around 20% starting on April 27th.

It's still a fairly good deal when you consider that a Blu-ray title costs around 30% more than a standard DVD—but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. The chart below illustrates how the fees will break down
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...e-increase.jpg

flashburn 03-30-09 01:38 PM

Re: Netflix raises price of Blu-ray rentals...again! (April 09)

This shit is so lame. It isn't like they bother buying enough copies to help with the long ass waits that come with any recently released title (much longer waits than the same titles on DVD).

Looks like Blockbuster is $15.99 a month for 3 out and no instore exchanges.

Gizmo 03-30-09 01:39 PM

Funny how they carried both Blu-ray and HD DVD - which were far more expensive in 2006, 2007 - yet when they go 100% Blu they need more money. Sure, I get it, they are stocking more copies, but apparently they just want to rape customers for as much as possible. I'll be dropping them yet again. Shame, I enjoyed getting rentals by mail.

Spiderbite 03-30-09 01:45 PM

Yep. Here is the email:

Dear Brian,

You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 3 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $4 a month. The price of your 3 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $16.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $4 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team
I was fine with a dollar. Not so much with 4 bucks. BDs aren't that much more than dvds it seems. So why such a large jump?

Chew 03-30-09 01:49 PM

I'm dropping BD access then. I have a hard enough time getting the titles I want as it is, I'm not paying that increase for it too.

Ted Kontos 03-30-09 01:53 PM

I'll be dropping Netflix altogether, after several years. This is uncalled for, and a slap in the face to its long-time customers!

Hammer99 03-30-09 02:00 PM

That's a pretty big price jump, but I will still stick with them, still good value IMO. I have no problem getting new BD releases, just got to time your returns to arrive there on Mondays. Slumdog & Marley are on the way for tomorrow.

aintnosin 03-30-09 02:06 PM

I just went from three at a time to two. That's still enough and Netflix actually makes less money off me now. Neener, neener.

bunkaroo 03-30-09 02:07 PM

Here's hoping Redbox adds Blu-rays in my area - then I can dump Netflix. As it is I will probably keep my subscription at 1 out at a time and bump it up at the prorated rate when necessary.

For example, I paid 17.99 on February 12th for 3 out. On March 10th a ton of movies came out I wanted to rent, so I bumped it up to 5 on the 8th. Total prorated cost - 2.30. I bumped it right back down on March 11th before my March 12th billing and still paid 17.99 for March. Only negative is I had to put three back in before I got one out, but who cares - I had the releases I wanted when I wanted them. This actually works well because I bump it up on the Sunday so I know I'll have open slots on Monday when they start shipping new releases. It's only good once a month to do it this way, but that's fine with me.

So I will work their system against them now and keep it at 1 out at time until a week comes when I want more than one out. Ultimately they lose money from me.

Spiderbite 03-30-09 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 9357993)
I just went from three at a time to two. That's still enough and Netflix actually makes less money off me now. Neener, neener.

I think I may do the same. I love Netflix and have been a loyal fan of theirs for many years but this high of an increase is bullshit. Especially when I average maybe 3 or 4 BDs a month (if that) and the majority of my queue is still standard dvds.

What is blockbuster's rental prices for BD? I may just drop Netflix down to one so I can keep my Xbox downloads coming and get my BDs and other stuff from BB.

Adboy151 03-30-09 02:25 PM

I'm likely going down to one-at-time then.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the original BD surcharge that it would improve BD availability. It didn't.

Yeah sometimes the return-on-Friday/top-of-queue-on-Monday trick works, but I still have too many Long and Very Long Wait BDs in my queue. It took until February for the Incredible Hulk to come off weight list -- not to mention they've never gotten items like Dodgeball, Venture Bros. or Chuck in inventory.

davidh777 03-30-09 02:26 PM

Awesome. I've been meaning to reduce my plan and this will be good incentive. Since I joined in '99, I've been on the same plan (4 unlimited) and was grandfathered into keeping the same fee (currently the 3 unlimited fee). I could go down to 2 and keep the same price or maybe go even lower. Might cut out BD also.

Spiderbite 03-30-09 02:29 PM

Here are the Blockbuster Plan options. No extra charge for BD.

BLOCKBUSTER By Mail plans offer By Mail only service with online rentals delivered and returned by mail. These plans are perfect for those subscribers who want the simplicity of returning movies by mail only and as well as those without a BLOCKBUSTER store in their local area. However, as an added bonus, you can make an exchange with an online mailer for a $1.99 in store rental with a By Mail plan.

By Mail Plans:

* 1-out 2 DVDs By Mail - $3.99 per month
* 1-out Unlimited By Mail - $8.99 per month
* 2-out Unlimited By Mail - $13.99 per month
* 3-out Unlimited By Mail - $15.99 per month

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access plans deliver online rentals by mail plus the option of exchanging online rentals for free in-store movie rentals or discounted game rentals up to monthly plan limits on exchanges, at a participating BLOCKBUSTER store. Or, you can choose to go with an unlimited BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium plan, which allows you to exchange as many online rentals as you want, at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores.

Total Access Plans:

* 1-out 2 DVDs By Mail - 2 Free Exchanges - $9.99 per month
* 1-out Unlimited By Mail - 2 Free Exchanges - $11.99 per month
* 2-out Unlimited By Mail - 3 Free Exchanges - $16.99 per month
* 3-out Unlimited By Mail - 5 Free Exchanges - $19.99 per month

Total Access Premium Plans:

* 1-out Unlimited By Mail - Unlimited Exchanges - $21.99 per month
* 2-out Unlimited By Mail - Unlimited Exchanges - $29.99 per month
* 3-out Unlimited By Mail - Unlimited Exchanges - $34.99 per month
Jeez...I can go to BB and get 3 at a time by mail unlimited which includes BD and still keep my Netflix account by dropping it to $5 a month plan which will cost me as much as staying with Netflix at the 3 at a time plan with BD. Has Netflix lost their fucking mind?

And I hate BB. Ugh.

aintnosin 03-30-09 02:32 PM

Of course, if Netflix goes through with this, don't be surprised if BB follows suit.

Spiderbite 03-30-09 02:35 PM

I just checked and Netflix doesn't let you use the "instant viewing" with the $4.99 plan. It is only available with the $8.99 plan.

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. This sucks.

mattysemo247 03-30-09 02:35 PM

I'm glad I stuck with BB online.

Jray 03-30-09 02:37 PM

I just got the Netflix email and came here to bitch... I see that several others beat me to the punch. I'm on the 1-at-a-time plan and even for that they want to jack up my price $2 a month. Pfffftt. I may just drop it. We don't go through the movies nearly fast enough at my house. It's very common for a movie to sit for 2 weeks before we get a chance to watch it.

I don't buy their BS anyway. At the quantities they're purchasing, the costs can't be that much different from DVDs. And if you compare today to when Netflix first started, the Blu-Ray discs probably don't cost much different from DVDs back then. Yet their overall plans remain basically the same (comparing now to then).

Doctorossi 03-30-09 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 9358056)
Of course, if Netflix goes through with this, don't be surprised if BB follows suit.

I think it's a little late for "if".

aintnosin 03-30-09 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 9358067)
I think it's a little late for "if".

Well, I'm enough of an optimist to think that there might be enough blowback for them to change their plans.

Deftones 03-30-09 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 9358041)
Awesome. I've been meaning to reduce my plan and this will be good incentive. Since I joined in '99, I've been on the same plan (4 unlimited) and was grandfathered into keeping the same fee (currently the 3 unlimited fee). I could go down to 2 and keep the same price or maybe go even lower. Might cut out BD also.

I'm in the same boat. Been a member since either '99 or 2000. I'm at the 4 out at a time plan for $16.99 due to grandfathering in. I don't think I'm going to change b/c I still think it is a great value. I really can't complain. Quite a few of you are forgetting that Netflix actually dropped prices when BB started to complete with them in the same market. I was paying $21 in the past, then it got dropped down to $17. So, essentially, I'm back to where I was before the price drop. As long as they speed up wait times, I'm not going to be too vocal about it. If they don't speed up with this additional revenue, I'll complain.

clckworang 03-30-09 02:50 PM

I can't believe the amount of the increase. Pretty crazy. I've had the 5-disc plan for a long time; I think this is just the incentive I need to go to a lower one. I would consider Blockbuster, but I vowed many years ago to never go to them again for anything and have stuck with it.

LickTheABCs 03-30-09 03:06 PM

Got the E-Mail. Pissed. Whores. Blu-ray.

'bout sums it up.

Sessa17 03-30-09 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chew (Post 9357951)
I'm dropping BD access then. I have a hard enough time getting the titles I want as it is, I'm not paying that increase for it too.

I've got to say one of the reasons I'll still stick with them, is b/c I've never really had a hard time getting the titles I want. Especially new releases. I got Slumdog & Marley Me on their way to me now. I would never buy Marley & Me but I do want to see it, & Slumdog is the exact kind of title that makes Netflix still worth it to me. In the past I would have blind bought it, that is the number one reason Netlflix is still worth the money for me. It prevents me from blind buying, which given my weak will, has saved me a fortune.

A $3 increase is still a lot, but fine by me if it turns Blu-Ray owners off to the site. Easier for me to get my rentals.

CombatCraig 03-30-09 03:38 PM

Not happy about it but I can't stand BB so I won't be switching. I guess starting this month I'll keep track of how many BD I actually get to see if it's worth it.

davidh777 03-30-09 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9358214)
A $3 increase is still a lot, but fine by me if it turns Blu-Ray owners off to the site. Easier for me to get my rentals.

I was just going to say that it sounds like from this thread that availability may increase a bit