Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix raises price of Blu-ray rentals...again! (April 09)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Netflix raises price of Blu-ray rentals...again! (April 09)

Old 03-31-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Netflix raises price of Blu-ray rentals...again! (April 09)

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was just going to say that it sounds like from this thread that availability may increase a bit
That is what everyone thought when they dumped HD DVD and jacked the prices for BD.
Old 03-31-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm surprised at the amount of complaining about this, especially the people who just canceled their plans outright over the difference of a few bucks a month. My BD fee went from $1 to $4. That's a difference of about 10 more cents a day I have to pay. I think I can manage that.
Old 03-31-09, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Can you send me $3 a month then? I'll give you my paypal address.
Old 03-31-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Can you send me $3 a month then? I'll give you my paypal address.
Once you start sending me whatever BD titles I ask for in a timely manner, then sure.

I understand people are angry at the concept of paying more, but try to see it in some perspective. It breaks down to upgrading to a large fry and drink at the drive-thru once in a while.
Old 03-31-09, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Once you start sending me whatever BD titles I ask for in a timely manner, then sure.

I understand people are angry at the concept of paying more, but try to see it in some perspective. It breaks down to upgrading to a large fry and drink at the drive-thru once in a while.
Of course, why are we paying more when Netflix is not doing anything to help the titles get to me faster. Still "long wait" or "very long wait". They take extra money and provide no extra service. I suppose you don't mind paying $3 to get your meal super-sized when they infact don't do anything.
Old 03-31-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, why are we paying more when Netflix is not doing anything to help the titles get to me faster. Still "long wait" or "very long wait". They take extra money and provide no extra service. I suppose you don't mind paying $3 to get your meal super-sized when they infact don't do anything.
Did I miss something that claimed this money was going towards getting more titles out faster? I was under the impression that it was going to cover the difference in cost between regular DVD titles and BD and the general number of titles out there to buy. I would blame the studios for the cost difference, not Netflix for trying to keep their profit margins.

I don't want to keep arguing over this. All I came in to say was that it didn't bother me, and that a $2-3 price bump isn't as bad as people are making it sound.
Old 03-31-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the point here is that accepting this fee increase now basically says to Netflix "bend me over any time you like" so to speak. We could accept the $1 last year with little or no service improvement, but to accept $3-$4 or more with no appreciable improvement in service is not a good precedent to set.

Who's to say it won't go up another $3-$4 next year? When is it too much? The consumer will decide when enough is enough, and that sounds like what is happening here - the majority (not all) are saying they are not having it.
Old 03-31-09, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Did I miss something that claimed this money was going towards getting more titles out faster? I was under the impression that it was going to cover the difference in cost between regular DVD titles and BD and the general number of titles out there to buy. I would blame the studios for the cost difference, not Netflix for trying to keep their profit margins.

I don't want to keep arguing over this. All I came in to say was that it didn't bother me, and that a $2-3 price bump isn't as bad as people are making it sound.
The $1 raise last year was suppose to improve stock and availability - it did not. Now they are raising it $1 - $9 and still no signs of improvement. Again, why pay more for the same (or less) service?
Old 03-31-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I'm not seeing the same problems with stock and availability that others are. I don't immediately rent everything that is coming out on the appropriate Tuesday, so I don't run into the long waits everyone else seems to be encountering.
Old 03-31-09, 11:50 AM

I am going to be paying $20.99 for 3 unlimited now with Netflix which is still good for me. Though I work in Austin, just a stone throw away from the best video store in the world, Vulcan Video, I still live too far to rent everyday. The money is worth it for me just because a walk to my mailbox is quicker than a drive to the video store on my days off.

I have not expierenced long waits for most of the newer titles on blu-ray and the turn around is very quick. I also take advantage of the downloading movies netflix provides on days I am waiting for my next round of titles to arrive in the mail.

I end up watching about 20 movies a month either through the mail or downloading due to netflix so I am on board for the price hike. At least for now.
Old 03-31-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed my plan from 5 to 3 at a time. The extra $6 Netflix was charging for BD is too much in my opinion.
Old 03-31-09, 12:14 PM

What is their fricken e-mail address? I tried to contact them from their website, and every fricken link points me to some stupid question & answer. How do I actually contact them?
Old 03-31-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Again, why pay more for the same (or less) service?
Because I haven't found a better deal.

Believe me, I'd love to dramatically cancel my Netflix subscription, curse their existence, and leave in a virtual huff. And, then, go where? That's what I'm stuck on...
Old 03-31-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
What is their fricken e-mail address? I tried to contact them from their website, and every fricken link points me to some stupid question & answer. How do I actually contact them?
They more or less did away with their e-mail service reps a couple of years ago, if you need something not covered on the website (account maintenance, etc.), your best bet is to call them.

T: 1-866-716-0414
Old 03-31-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Believe me, I'd love to dramatically cancel my Netflix subscription, curse their existence, and leave in a virtual huff. And, then, go where? That's what I'm stuck on...
exactly. all the people that say they're quitting will come back - because there's nothing else that can do as good of a job.

I want to be able to rent new blu-ray titles - i have a one day turn around time w/ Netflix - I can't beat that for the money.

I am reducing my 3 to a 2-unlimited plan - a little because of the price increase, but moreso because it's slowly getting nicer outside - I won't have as much time to watch films
Old 03-31-09, 01:34 PM

Incomplete analogy there. Unless they drastically improve availability it IS like super-sizing your meal at a drive-thru but only getting a medium drink and fries. For $1 I think people were willing to put up with their substandard service. No way in hell any sane person will put up with a 300% increase (on a 3 out plan) for something that isn't worth it.

We're moving in a couple months and have a different card to use so we will take advantage of the free month, abuse the hell out of their system, and then cancel again before we have to start paying. I live by the motto: (If) try to stick it to me...I'll stick it to you twice as bad.
Old 03-31-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jpb07
Incomplete analogy there. Unless they drastically improve availability it IS like super-sizing your meal at a drive-thru but only getting a medium drink and fries. For $1 I think people were willing to put up with their substandard service. No way in hell any sane person will put up with a 300% increase (on a 3 out plan) for something that isn't worth it.

We're moving in a couple months and have a different card to use so we will take advantage of the free month, abuse the hell out of their system, and then cancel again before we have to start paying. I live by the motto: (If) try to stick it to me...I'll stick it to you twice as bad.
You misunderstand. With regards to the drive-thru, I was merely referencing an amount of money, not the amount of service rendered.

And I'm still amazed that people are getting so bent out of shape over this. It's a couple of bucks a month! Yes, it sounds impressive that it's a 300% Increase, but your starting point is $1. How many hundreds are people paying in blind buys a month?
Old 03-31-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jpb07
I live by the motto: (If) try to stick it to me...I'll stick it to you twice as bad.
Do you mind if I get that inked above my heart?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's way better than my current motto, "Fool me once, shame on you... fool me again... and... um... won't get fooled again!" Which you'll have to admit, is an awful good'un, if a bit cerebral for the heart spot. Instead, I'm getting that one inked on my forehead, next to that part of my brain that thinks with its gut and talks out of its ass. And that part - I don't mean to brag too much here - is actually my whole brain!

So don't question it.
Old 03-31-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

For you. I have very, very good service with them. Got Quantum of Solace last week along with Punisher: War Zone. They just shipped out Slumdog Millionaire to me today. While I do agree that some titles have very long waits, as long as you have enough in your queue, it really isn't a big deal for me.
Old 03-31-09, 02:56 PM

I think there is a lot of truth being said by everyone here that may think they are on opposite sides. I've been a Netflix customer for many years. I added Blu-ray, a few weeks later, I see a $1 increase. "No big deal," I thought "I will get a couple of Blu-rays a month and a couple of DVDs...what's a dollar?" This is a more significant (per month) increase...no matter how you look at it.

I, honestly, don't know what I'm doing, yet. Likely, I will bump it down to a smaller plan to offset the cost, but I'm only getting Blu-rays occasionally. I don't go through the queue and say, what is the next Blu-ray I want to watch, I say, what is the next movie I want to watch. As far as wait times go, I think it all depends on location and taste in films versus others. For me, it still says "long wait" for "The Man Who Fell to Earth" on BD. If I remember correctly, that film came out over 4 months ago.

Everyone is going to look at their $3 differently, so I don't think there is much of an argument to make. And, I don't think anyone should get ideas about not having wait times when these $4 charges start to take effect.
Old 03-31-09, 03:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've already downgraded to 1 out unlimited and removed blu-ray access. If not for streaming to my Samsung player I'd cancel outright. It's not necessarily the cost but the principle, Blu-ray is not that much more expensive than DVD, are less prone to damage, and are still usually on long wait. A substantial increase with no perceived benefits, no thanks.
Old 03-31-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
They more or less did away with their e-mail service reps a couple of years ago, if you need something not covered on the website (account maintenance, etc.), your best bet is to call them.

T: 1-866-716-0414
Can't say specifically what issues they handle, but if you have a Twitter account there's also customer support through "Netflixhelps":

http://twitter.com/netflixhelps

They seriously need to bring back e-mail support.
Old 03-31-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The more I think about it, I'm just going to cancel outright at the end of my billing cycle in a few weeks. I've been spending too much time watching rentals instead of the discs I own and love already. I'll put the 17.99 towards one more blind buy a month. Half the time I'm just renting stuff because I can anyway.
Old 03-31-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only rent 1 or 2 Blu-rays a month, so the $1 increase was fine, but a $7 increase is way too much. I'll be dropping Blu-ray from my account.
Old 03-31-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

God I fucking hate Netflix. Late last night I checked my queue and had two releases that came out today (Tuesday) as my number #1 and #2 choices. And the status for both were "available now". First thing when I logged on, they switched to "A very long wait". Which means I won't get both for maybe three months. And for THIS we get charged more!????

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.