Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba - BD Ever??

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba - BD Ever??

Old 03-20-09, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Toshiba - BD Ever??

Originally Posted by SPRBD View Post
How wrong do you have to be before you actually admit that you were wrong? You made a statement that was complete BS. And you were called on it. At least man up and admit it before spewing a bunch of misleading crap that makes it almost look like you don't know what you're talking about.
Yet you refute nothing he said, you resort to personal smears.

I thought we all had moved past this childish bullshit.
Old 03-20-09, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post

Really? I see it coming from you more than anyone else on the forum.
Old 03-20-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

How wrong do you have to be before you actually admit that you were wrong? You made a statement that was complete BS. And you were called on it. At least man up and admit it before spewing a bunch of misleading crap that makes it almost look like you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh really? What statement was that?

I'm not the one who suggested in this very thread to connect the Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-on to a PS3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9327145-post8.html

Last edited by Gizmo; 03-20-09 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-20-09, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu View Post
Really? I see it coming from you more than anyone else on the forum.
Someone needs to do some fact checking.

I suppose if you wrap it in a personal attack (like this post) then I guess it's OK.
Old 03-20-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MarcinL View Post
One of my TV's is a Toshiba LCD. I'm wondering if Toshiba will make a BD Player?? or even better BD/HD Player. I mean, are they still pissed for losing HD-DVD that they are willing to lose market share and not make a BD player??

Any comments??
I'm not sure why it's important for them to market Blu-ray players. As for market share, there are plenty of other sectors they can invest in, possibly with better profitability odds.
Old 03-20-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It certainly isn't important to me. Will they ever produce a BD player? Don't know, don't care. I wouldn't buy one, no matter what the price. I wouldn't even take one if it were given to me. I've had far too many bad experiences with Toshiba products to ever go down that road again.

I do have to admit, though, to enjoying some (probably petty) satisfaction at the initial reports on the so-called "super resolution" upscaling in XDE, and just how poor it really is. Here's hoping for yet another blazing Toshiba failure.
Old 03-21-09, 06:30 AM

I'm pretty much with you here, Robodad. If they make one, fine, if they don't, fine. I don't understand why someone would want their player to match their TV. And if we are talking overall quality, Tosh is not too high (or honestly, too low) on the list.

I agree that they will have trouble competing with the margins of the Chinese CEs.
Old 03-23-09, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Oh really? What statement was that?

I'm not the one who suggested in this very thread to connect the Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-on to a PS3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9327145-post8.html
How is spewing incorrect information and then backpedaling like mad rather than admit your mistakes anything like asking a question? Ah... more silly misdirection when confronted. How surprising.
Old 03-23-09, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post
Yet you refute nothing he said, you resort to personal smears.

I see, apparently the use of the term "childish bullshit" is not a personal smear. How rich!

Had you bothered to read my reply, you might have noticed that I was commenting on the fact that somebody else had refuted what he said - and been correct. So where was my need to to refute it again?
Old 03-23-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How is spewing incorrect information and then backpedaling like mad rather than admit your mistakes anything like asking a question? Ah... more silly misdirection when confronted. How surprising.
So, how long before this guy gets suspended/banned? 1 week, 2 weeks? Someone should let him know the format war war ended well over a year ago.

And I'm still not wrong with what you are trying to throw upon me. Sony took a few years to produce a VHS player after Betamax died. It does not matter if they continued making some players for years after for a very small, niche format (that were mainly sold overseas and replacements for warranty). Betamax was dead and Sony recognized it and (eventually) moved on. Just like Toshiba will some day.

If you have a problem with me feel free to hit the little REPORT button and have a moderator handle it. I can guarantee to that my attitude in this thread is nothing compared to you attacking myself and Jim.
Old 03-23-09, 02:13 PM

So, how long before this guy gets suspended/banned? 1 week, 2 weeks? Someone should let him know the format war war ended well over a year ago.
More misdirection. Nothing that I said had anything to do with the format war.

And I'm still not wrong with what you are trying to throw upon me. Sony took a few years to produce a VHS player after Betamax died. It does not matter if they continued making some players for years after for a very small, niche format (that were mainly sold overseas and replacements for warranty).
You said "IIRC, it was 2.5 years when Sony officially stopped Betamax until they rolled their first VHS player into stores." You were wrong. Now, you're saying "It does not matter if they continued making some players for years after for a very small, niche format..." which is different.

I see you constantly bashing certain people when they are wrong and you seem to have little tolerance for people who change their tune when accused of being wrong. So, it's a little weird to see you doing it yourself so frequently.
Old 03-23-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you not see the "IIRC"? You must not know what that means then. My point still stands. Say, how did connecting the 360 HD DVD AO to a PS3 go?

Don't worry, your going on the Blocked list so you don't need to answer (and I expect you won't since you ignored this question before). I'm not too worried about the quality posts of yours I'll be missing.
Old 03-23-09, 03:38 PM
Banned

Wow, you continue to make yourself look worse and worse. No wonder you're going to ignore the people that set you up for it.
Old 03-23-09, 03:39 PM
Banned

I see, apparently the use of the term "childish bullshit" is not a personal smear. How rich!
Of course it was, but since it wasn't directed toward him, he didn't feel the need to cry about it.
Old 03-23-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu View Post
Wow, you continue to make yourself look worse and worse. No wonder you're going to ignore the people that set you up for it.
And here comes another one out of the woodwork. Ignored.
Old 03-23-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread was doing just fine until this post. If I were to suspend somebody over the direction of this thread, it would have to be you for derailing this thread. I don't plan on any moderator action just yet (translation: please do NOT give us a reason for moderator action).

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums

EDITED TO ADD: Please do not continue the personal discussion. Please only discuss the topic at hand. Thank you.

Last edited by namja; 03-23-09 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-23-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Back to the subject at hand...

There are some rumblings Toshiba may include a BD drive in their Q4 2009 laptops. Not sure how close that division works with the other....but maybe some hope. I wouldn't expect a BD stand alone this year though. Maybe next.
Old 03-23-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Back to the subject at hand...

There are some rumblings Toshiba may include a BD drive in their Q4 2009 laptops. Not sure how close that division works with the other....but maybe some hope. I wouldn't expect a BD stand alone this year though. Maybe next.
Nah still seems a little too soon. I can't see Toshiba having anything to do with Blu-ray while they're still pushing XDE.
Old 03-23-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonymontana313 View Post
Nah still seems a little too soon. I can't see Toshiba having anything to do with Blu-ray while they're still pushing XDE.
Toshiba has never really pushed XDE hard. It's just there to tie-in with their HDTV sales since they don't have a flagship BD player. For some reason they love to put banner ads all over the place...that's the only reason I think many people dislike it. Damn claw trying to grab me!