DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - 6/9 (?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/550914-curious-case-benjamin-button-6-9-a.html)

Daytripper 03-02-09 08:59 PM

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - 6/9 (?)

According to releaselists.com, "Benjamin Button" is set to be released on June 9th. But I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet. How reliable is that site? Gizmo, if you're reading, can you confirm? I know a lot of people hated this film, but it will make a beautiful BD. And a day one purchase for me. Also, I see certain movies getting released on DVD later again after it's theatrical release. It seems it went from 6-8 months afterwards, to 3-4 months.

http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYNorthAmerica.html

Drexl 03-02-09 09:07 PM

Re: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - 6/9 (?)

I'm looking forward to it too. One reason for the longer schedule may be because David Fincher is preparing some great extras for it (at least I hope that's the case).

PopcornTreeCt 03-03-09 12:50 AM

Wow, June 9th. Long ways away. Day one purchase, hopefully this will be somewhat a definitive edition and will be loaded with extras.

Fincher Fan 03-03-09 02:33 AM

I hear May 12.

HumanMedia 03-03-09 04:22 AM

Something has changed.
I just noticed it now on their front page, its now down for a May 5 release!?

Mr. Cinema 03-03-09 07:54 AM

Mao had a May 5 date for the DVD.

Daytripper 03-03-09 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9302016)
Mao had a May 5 date for the DVD.

What is Mao?

Mr. Cinema 03-03-09 08:16 AM

Mao is a mod with very good sources. I'd trust his word over most.

Gizmo 03-03-09 08:36 AM

May seems to fit. Don't believe any date until we get an official announcement as this title may movie spots a few times before Paramount settles.

Mr. Cinema 03-09-09 06:22 PM

The HDRoom says it's likely May 5 as well.

Acting Up 03-11-09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9315704)
The HDRoom says it's likely May 5 as well.

I'd much rather have it on May 5th. Waiting for a June release would make a guy like me sad.

dx23 03-19-09 07:57 AM

Apparently this film is being released by Criterion!!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....-may-5-reuters

Mr. Cinema 03-19-09 01:51 PM

It has DTS HD as well. DVD Active has the artwork up for the dvd and it is spine #476.

TylerDurden_73 03-19-09 02:01 PM

here is blu-ray.com article...

The Criterion Collection in conjunction with Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the technical specs and special features for the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button', which is due to hit store shelves on May 5th, day-and-date with the DVD release. The two-disc set will feature 1080p AVC video accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras include:

*The Curious Birth of Benjamin Button—four-part documentary:
Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher introduces the surprising beginnings of what would become an epic masterpiece including the casting of Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the decision to change the location of the story to New Orleans and more.
Follow the production from day one including the challenges of aging Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, designing over five thousand costumes and creating the animatronic baby.
Explore the incredible visual effects techniques created specifically for the film that allowed Brad Pitt to play the title character at virtually every age. Also includes a visit to the scoring stage with composer Alexandre Desplat.
*Walk the red carpet at the film's premiere in New Orleans, with final thoughts from cast and crew.
*Audio Commentary by director David Fincher

PopcornTreeCt 03-19-09 09:07 PM

Over on the Criterion Forum they're acting like it's Armageddon all over again. Hilarious.

NiCK Crush 03-19-09 09:10 PM

I think this is fantastic news. Button is no Armageddon. This is a worthy film in my opinion.

Twiggystar 03-19-09 11:38 PM

It deserves Criterion release, best film of last year, haters just need to STFU, no one is making you buy it. Ignore it Thank You Criterion once again, they DO understand the art of filmaking.

Can't wait to see what they say when Fight Club gets Criterion release as well.

NiCK Crush 03-20-09 12:47 AM

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...oncriteron.jpg

DVD Coverart, I'm sure the Blu-ray will be the same.

Drexl 03-20-09 01:13 AM

Actually, they'd probably love to see a Criterion Fight Club. It's "cool" to like FC, as opposed to Button. I'm sure Fox would do a good job with it though. I'd prefer The Game, as they already did extras and Universal doesn't seem to care about it.

I'd like to see Criterion get more new releases. After all, this isn't priced any higher than what the studio would charge.

critterdvd 03-23-09 01:22 PM

Personally I was happy when I read the criterion news. I thought it was weird, but then I remember "The rock" and "Armageddon" and I like the idea of this movie getting this good of treatment.

My Other Self 03-23-09 05:49 PM

I'll be honest, I immediately thought of The Rock, Armageddon, and Chasing Amy when I saw this announced. Button doesn't seem like much of a Criterion release.

PerryD 03-23-09 06:10 PM

Since when did David Fincher become Michael Bay? I haven't see CCoBB, but my impression is that it's pretty high brow entertainment. What has Michael Bay done anywhere near as important as Seven, Fight Club or Zodiac?

NiCK Crush 03-23-09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 9344540)
I'll be honest, I immediately thought of The Rock, Armageddon, and Chasing Amy when I saw this announced. Button doesn't seem like much of a Criterion release.

Look at the laserdiscs Criterion did... there were a ton of mainstream titles. Also, Fincher > both Michael Bay & Kevin Smith.

tonymontana313 03-23-09 11:54 PM

While I love Criterion production, I'm not too crazy about their Bluray cases.

My Other Self 03-24-09 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 9344587)
Look at the laserdiscs Criterion did... there were a ton of mainstream titles. Also, Fincher > both Michael Bay & Kevin Smith.

Oh I know, they had some great SEs in the LD days. I just thought their focus shifted when a bit when DVD started maturing. This doesn't seem to fit in with what they usually release nowadays.