Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series Blu-ray Collection -- July 28th

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series Blu-ray Collection -- July 28th

Old 07-29-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series Blu-ray Collection -- July 28th

So what do people (who have it) think about the packaging?

I ordered mine from DD, so it'll be a long wait, but I saw it at Costco yesterday and I wasn't too impressed just looking at and holding the sealed box.
Old 07-29-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine already shipped (and I just got them to readjust the price for last night's drop).

So it might not be too long. Of course I ordered at 4:30 in the morning on Tuesday, lol.
Old 07-29-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
So what do people (who have it) think about the packaging?
I didn't think Universal could fuck up worse than they did with the Galactica HD DVD, but they did. The box is way, way too big, given the number of discs. There is a hell of a lot of wasted space. Then you get into how the discs are held: Loose, in between folded pieces of paper.

And don't get me started on the complete lack of any kind of episode guide.
Old 07-29-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I didn't think Universal could fuck up worse than they did with the Galactica HD DVD, but they did. The box is way, way too big, given the number of discs. There is a hell of a lot of wasted space. Then you get into how the discs are held: Loose, in between folded pieces of paper.

And don't get me started on the complete lack of any kind of episode guide.
I was afraid of this. I was hoping at least for regular Blu Ray cases inside the massive box, so I could take them out. Ugh.
Old 07-29-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Packaging, schmackaging. If it's that bad, I'll just custom cover them like I've done with almost every single set I've ever had.
Old 07-29-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah the packaging is pretty much equivalent to pissing on one's shoes. I have the four cardboard cases sitting on my shelf with the box stored. I'm going to look into getting some Blade Runner style 5-disc cases for them.

Now I feel like I need to power through the set ASAP since Universal is known to f up high profile releases like this.
Old 07-29-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was afraid of this. I was hoping at least for regular Blu Ray cases inside the massive box, so I could take them out. Ugh.
The four cardboard packs that hold each season, will fit in on the shelf with your Bds. They are less wide and only about 1/4 inch taller than a regular Bd case.
The problem is, the pockets which hold the discs only allow a sliver of each disc to be exposed. This means you can't remove the disc by holding the edges- you have to use your thumb and forefinger to pull each one out, which means the disc is more likely to get grubbed up. You also can't hold it upside down and shake it loose and out because all the other discs will fall out as well.
If they had only used the same kind of tray system that the Star trek TOS Remastered sets used, the outer box would have been much smaller, and they wouldn't have needed to keep the midsection exposed so that it clears the cases when telescoped up. I'm guessing the reason they didn't was because the heavier plastic trays would have created more stress problems with the cardboard box, which would have necessitated even heavier weight board, and the combination of the 20 plastic trays and heavier cardboard would have raised the weight of the set impacting cost of shipping and Universals margin.

It's a shame because with just a slight redesign they could have still had something along the same line but far more efficent, shelf friendly, with better access to the discs. I would have gladly sacrificed the cheesy plastic cylon figure for all that.
Old 07-29-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Why couldn't they offer a version with "normal" packaging and no toy? I ordered this, but I could do without the gimmicky packaging and toy.
Old 07-29-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I was expecting a Blu-ray case inside the four Cylon boxes. Really disappointed about that. If they had just made the sections a little wider, a Blu-ray case would have fit in there just fine. Other than that, I like the way the box lifts up to access the discs. And the box itself isn't so big that it takes up an inordinate amount of space. It looks nice, real slick.

Luckily Blu-rays are less likely to scratch than DVDs; still, I took out all the discs and put them in paper sleeves for now. That's how I store all my sets that come in crappy cardboard sleeve packaging (The X-Files: The Complete Series, Sex And The City: The Complete Series, WALL-E, etc.)

I just don't understand why they couldn't have put in Blu-ray cases. Why do studios insist on putting sensitive surfaces right up against cardboard? When I got The X-Files set, I was really worried; 60 discs in terrible packaging. There was no way I was going to get through the entire series in a 30-day return window. Luckily, every disc worked just fine. I'm sure I won't have a problem here, but I'd rather avoid even worrying entirely by having actual Blu-ray cases to set in the set.

EDIT: Does anyone have a Clamshell Case on hand? I think those might actually fit. A Slim CD Case is just a smidgen too wide if you stand it vertically. And I think the Clamshell Case might make the difference.

Last edited by kstublen; 07-29-09 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Aren't these complaints somewhat unjustified? BD is still scratch proof correct?

I'm not defending the packaging just pointing that out.
Old 07-30-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Aren't these complaints somewhat unjustified? BD is still scratch proof correct?
The scratch-proof coating is an option. I don't know whether Universal uses it or not.

But scratches are just part of the equation. Discs being a complete pain in the ass to remove without the entire season flying out all over the floor sucks. And the size of the box is ridiculous to boot.
Old 07-30-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The scratch-proof coating is an option. I don't know whether Universal uses it or not.

But scratches are just part of the equation. Discs being a complete pain in the ass to remove without the entire season flying out all over the floor sucks. And the size of the box is ridiculous to boot.
Umm, I'm pretty sure the scratch-proof coating is required on all blu-ray discs. Still doesn't excuse crappy, inconvenient packaging though...
Old 07-30-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds kinda like the HP "Trunk" set. Each film is in an envelope rather than any kind of real case.
Old 07-30-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Anyone have any comparison pics to show how large the box is?
Old 07-30-09, 10:09 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Packaging, schmackaging. If it's that bad, I'll just custom cover them like I've done with almost every single set I've ever had.
I may be completely ignorant here...but just how does one go about getting custom covers without joining some bogus website? I really can't stand those X-Files sets, and have long thought about putting them into something else, but my skills with artwork are nil.
Old 07-30-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are plenty of legit websites. Not "free" so that might be "bogus". But there's a very active community out there for this. We have a whole subforum here and you can always try your luck there.
Old 07-30-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DDD is now higher than it was Monday, $225.89. I hope everybody got their orders in or price adjusted yesterday!
Old 07-31-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I may order this even though I already have most of the regular DVD sets and haven't even watched a second of this show.
Actually.....forget it. The decision to not include a booklet/episode guide with this set was a boneheaded one. I will just stick with my DVD sets and get the last season on Blu-Ray.
Old 07-31-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

We need pics of this accordian packaging with sleeves and whatnot, because this is ultimately going to make or break my decision to get this.
Old 08-01-09, 01:21 PM

I put all of my dvd's into double slim dvd cases to save space.
As I was going thru and looking at BSG blu disc's and putting them in when I got to the 4th season I started cussing out DD.

Has anyone noticed how close season 4.0 & 4.5 discs look alike!!
I was thinking I had gotten 4.0 disk 1 & 2 twice... After I calmed down a little and looked really close did I notice the 4.0 & 4.5 SMALL label.. Why did they use the same disc art??
Old 08-01-09, 08:53 PM

What exactly is "The Plan" ? I watched BSG thru the beginning of Season and this missed the rest? Was it a webisode? How long was it? Was it good?
Old 08-01-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jamers
What exactly is "The Plan" ? I watched BSG thru the beginning of Season and this missed the rest? Was it a webisode? How long was it? Was it good?
It's a TV movie directed by Edward James Olmos. It debuts on DVD/Blu-ray in October, then airs on SyFy in November: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=20887118
Old 08-02-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
We need pics of this accordian packaging with sleeves and whatnot, because this is ultimately going to make or break my decision to get this.
Amazon customer pictures have several decent pics of what's going on with the packaging.
Old 08-02-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I did find that yesterday, and man, I think I may just have to pass on this... at least until the price comes down a bit.
Old 08-02-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I dislike the packaging, I would never let it stop me from buying this fantastic series. And the price you can buy it for in the Deep Discount sale is a no-brainer. The only reason I would hold off would be if Universal announces they're going to release the seasons separately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.