DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Army of Darkness: May 19th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/549861-army-darkness-may-19th.html)

islandclaws 02-13-09 01:35 PM

Army of Darkness: May 19th

Evil Dead fans, get ready to bend over once more. From Bluray.com:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring Sam Raimi's 'Army of Darkness: Screwhead Edition' to Blu-ray on May 19th, day-and-date with the DVD release. Coming on a BD-25, video will be presented in 1.85:1 1080p VC-1 accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

U-CONTROL: Universal's exclusive signature feature, U-Control puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie
PRODUCTION PHOTOS: Access interactive production photos from the set without interruption to the movie experience.
BD-LIVE(TM): Access the BD-Live(TM) Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!
MY SCENES: Pick your favorite scenes from the film to create your own video montage.
ALTERNATE ENDING: See the original ending planned for the film.
DELETED SCENES: Additional scenes that never played in theaters.
THE MEN BEHIND THE ARMY: Go behind-the-scenes with star Bruce Campbell.
ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE: See extra footage shot for the film.
FEATURE COMMENTARY with director Sam Raimi, star Bruce Campbell, and co-writer Ivan Raimi
THEATRICAL TRAILER: The original promotional trailer for the theatrical release.

I might pick this up. I've heard this movie looks fantastic in HD. It would be nice if it were the DC, but I know the reason why it isn't. Whatever.

mmyersisgod 02-13-09 01:38 PM

Re: Army of Darkness: May 19th

The horrible sequels but still no original?

Darth Maher 02-13-09 01:43 PM

I'll most likely pick it up.

BTW, why isn't it the DC?

steebo777 02-13-09 01:55 PM

Already have all I need on DVD and HD-DVD.

islandclaws 02-13-09 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher (Post 9264772)
I'll most likely pick it up.

BTW, why isn't it the DC?

Uni only owns the rights to the theatrical cut. AB has the DC rights currently IIRC, although they may lose them soon. MGM has the overseas rights to the DC.

tylergfoster 02-13-09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9264851)
Uni only owns the rights to the theatrical cut. AB has the DC rights currently IIRC, although they may lose them soon. MGM has the overseas rights to the DC.

As I've mentioned in some threads, I could have sworn I heard that AB was losing the rights to the Evil Dead and Halloween films (that's why they've been making new editions as of late, i.e. Halloween 30th and Evil Dead Ultimate). In addition, since this BD includes the commentary, which is intended to be heard over the director's cut of the movie, are you sure this isn't the DC? The "alternate ending" that notes the "original" ending and "additional footage" would suggest that this is the TC, but the commentary is for the DC.

And even Universal's SD-DVD remaster on the DVD side of their HD-DVD combo release looked pretty damn fantastic given that Universal's old SD-DVD and Anchor Bay's efforts didn't look that great. I imagine in actual hi-def it can only look better.

applesandrice 02-13-09 03:39 PM

Hmm . . . much as I love AOD, I think I'll probably pass. I've already got the HD DVD, along with the two-disc "Boomstick Edition" and the limited edition single disc "Director's Cut". Sounds like a pretty solid release for somebody who doesn't already have that stuff, but I'm happy with what I've got.

As for the commentary issue, I believe the one they're including is indeed for the Theatrical version. If I remember correctly, the commentary track for the "Director's Cut" was a Bruce Campbell solo track. I don't think Raimi participated with that one.

tylergfoster 02-13-09 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice (Post 9265098)
As for the commentary issue, I believe the one they're including is indeed for the Theatrical version. If I remember correctly, the commentary track for the "Director's Cut" was a Bruce Campbell solo track. I don't think Raimi participated with that one.

There is only one commentary for Army of Darkness, and it's for the "Director's Cut".

applesandrice 02-13-09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9265104)
There is only one commentary for Army of Darkness, and it's for the "Director's Cut".

Yep -- you're right. I just looked up an old review and was about to edit my comment when I saw your post.

Shows how long it's been since I watched this!

flix1 02-13-09 04:29 PM

This is the "most owned" movie I have. I have owned every version on DVD (released in the US), so I believe that makes it 5 versions.

Sixth time will be my last.

applesandrice 02-13-09 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by flix1 (Post 9265267)
This is the "most owned" movie I have. I have owned every version on DVD (released in the US), so I believe that makes it 5 versions.

Sixth time will be my last.

Yeah, but 7 is a "perfect" number. Or something.:)

GenPion 02-13-09 04:34 PM

I hope this is the director's cut! If so, I will DEFINITELY get this and sell my HD DVD and Bootleg Director's Cut DVD! PLEASE let it be so!

islandclaws 02-13-09 05:28 PM

That commentary tidbit gives me a glimmer of hope that this could be the DC. Would Uni try to edit the DC commentary track to synch up with the TC? Is that even possible?

rexinnih 02-13-09 06:00 PM

They had me at 5.1 DTS-HD MA

LickTheABCs 02-13-09 06:21 PM

I have the HD-DVD so I'll probably just stick with that. That being said, I'll probably get it in when it goes on sale in the future. The future? Yeah, in the year 2000.

mdc3000 02-13-09 06:35 PM

I'll wait for final specs and reviews - until then the HD DVD will hold me over. If this has something better and is worth the upgrade, I'll probably go for it (especially since the Uni catalogue titles aren't that expensive of late...)

RocShemp 02-13-09 10:16 PM

I hope it turns out to have both cuts.

tonymontana313 02-14-09 12:23 PM

Am I the only one concerned that this is on a BD-25? Wasn't the Hd-dvd on a 30 gig disc?

Gizmo 02-14-09 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313 (Post 9266543)
Am I the only one concerned that is on a BD-25? Wasn't the Hd-dvd on a 30 gig disc?

Nope, both the HD DVD Combo and HD DVD Release were HD15.

LickTheABCs 02-14-09 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9266577)

Plus, Doomsday was on a BD-25. If that could look and sound like that it should be fine. Universal has somewhat destroyed the case people have against BD-25s.

tonymontana313 02-14-09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9266577)

Oh okay wasn't aware of that. Only thing I don't like about the BD-25s is that Universal ends up doing all the special features on the U-Control, which I don't like. Other than that, they do a bang up job on the picture and sound.

Gizmo 02-14-09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 9266585)
Plus, Doomsday was on a BD-25. If that could look and sound like that it should be fine. Universal has somewhat destroyed the case people have against BD-25s.

Yet it still dropped features on the Day and Date DVD. Other BD25 Universal discs have been known to drop features (Baby Mama, Leatherheads, The Thing, End of Days etc.)

Originally Posted by tonymontana313 (Post 9266594)
Oh okay wasn't aware of that. Only thing I don't like about the BD-25s is that Universal ends up doing all the special features on the U-Control, which I don't like. Other than that, they do a bang up job on the picture and sound.

Press Releases seems to indicate they won't be doing that...U-Control and Special Features will be separate. But adding DTS MA from a previous 15GB to 25GB does not leave a hell of a lot of room for the rest of the special features so I hope they don't DNR this to hell. I very much doubt it will have both the Theatrical and Directors Cut as well. Anyone notice Universal has gone back to VC1 in the past month or two dropping AVC?

tonymontana313 02-14-09 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9266602)
Yet it still dropped features on the Day and Date DVD. Other BD25 Universal discs have been known to drop features (Baby Mama, Leatherheads, The Thing, End of Days etc.)

Press Releases seems to indicate they won't be doing that...U-Control and Special Features will be separate. But adding DTS MA from a previous 15GB to 25GB does not leave a hell of a lot of room for the rest of the special features so I hope they don't DNR this to hell. I very much doubt it will have both the Theatrical and Directors Cut as well. Anyone notice Universal has gone back to VC1 in the past month or two dropping AVC?

Very interesting. What titles have you seen lately that has been encoded in VC1?

Gizmo 02-14-09 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313 (Post 9266610)
Very interesting. What titles have you seen lately that has been encoded in VC1?

All from Universal since January 2009.

The Rundown, The Changeling, Doom, Friday Night Lights, Street Fighter, all 3 Bourne's, The Express, King Kong and even Serenity. I don't think I missed any either but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can't remember the last AVC encode from them. Burn After Reading and The Mummy 3 appear to be Universal's last AVC encodes (unless the review sites are wrong, I don't have either to verify at the moment).

Gizmo 02-14-09 02:21 PM

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF:

Selection Number: 61109066
Price: $29.98 SRP
Running Time: 1 Hour 21 Minutes
Layers: BD-25
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
Sound: DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS Surround 5.1
Theatrical Version for sure unless the information above is wrong. Anchor Bay did lose the rights to the DC version and its reverted back to Universal...so maybe wait for the triple dip in the future?