Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Day the Earth Stood Still (REMAKE) - 4/7/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (REMAKE) - 4/7/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still (REMAKE) - 4/7/09

dx23 - if you mean the one included with the 2008 movie, then no. The stand-alond BD of the original movie - tons of extras.
Old 04-07-09, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
dx23 - if you mean the one included with the 2008 movie, then no. The stand-alond BD of the original movie - tons of extras.
Yeah, that is what I meant. I guess I'll get the first release with all the extras of the original. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 04-07-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I think this movie has serious backlash that's unrelated to the movie itself rather than the stature of the original. This is an end-of-the-world popcorn action thriller. As that, it's succeeds for me.

This is not to say that Hollywood isn't proving again that it's devoid of originality and in love with propping up wafer thin special effects spectacles staring no talent stone-faced ass clowns. The casting here of this particular ass clown is not a bad thing. Personally, this is the role someone like Keanu was made to play. Like Arnie was made to play a robot in the Terminator series. Keanu is a freakin' blank slate with the personality of a old sock. He works though as an alien. He'd probably work in a remake of Starman, too. ::shudder::
Old 04-07-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I will admit I've never seen the original. I had it on BD but decided to sell it since I'll be getting it with this release (I don't care about the extras).

This is essentially a "double" blind buy for me, and I think I'll actually watch the remake first since I have no pre-existing reverence for the original.
Old 04-07-09, 10:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I actually think that Keanu isn't bad in this film. And the first 20 or so minutes aren't bad.

But by the end, I agree that it is a horrible train wreck, worst film of 2008 probably.
Old 04-07-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw it and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Old 04-08-09, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reminds me of when Universal put a nice anamorphic copy of Charade on the flip side of The Truth About Charlie prior to Criterion's anamorphic release of Charade. I bought Truth About Charlie on the cheap to get Charade. I never even watched the remake. If this had the original Earth Stood Still with all the special features it would be a no brainer for me. I haven't seen the remake but I'm a sucker for effects laden summer blockbusters. I thought Independence Day and Day After Tomorrow were pretty crappy movies but they are a guilty pleasure for me. It kind of scares me though that they would have to throw the original in just to sell this thing.
Old 04-08-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love both ID4 and Day After but thought this sucked shit, so be warned... and Truth About Charlie ain't half bad - it's no Charade but it's alright (I bought it for the same reason but actually watched it!)
Old 04-08-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Incredible DTS-HD MA soundtrack despite individual opinions on the film.
Old 04-09-09, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I will admit I've never seen the original. I had it on BD but decided to sell it since I'll be getting it with this release (I don't care about the extras).

This is essentially a "double" blind buy for me, and I think I'll actually watch the remake first since I have no pre-existing reverence for the original.
Ditto, except I'll probably watch the original first.

I actually like it when a film I thought looked decent is uberly-criticized because it drives my expectations into the mud. Then, when I watch the film, it usually ends up being better than I expected, even if only a little.
Old 04-09-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a blind buy on the 3-disc set. (Kids wanted it) Never watched the original and wanted to. Saw the remake and guys its not bad. I mean its a popcorn movie. It could have been much deeper but it was still fun.
Old 04-09-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23

Get Gort when you buy any version of the release at Best Buy.
Under normal circumstances, I would have stayed far away from this release, but I was seduced by the inclusion of the 1951 original and the retro Gort action figure. You win this time, Fox!
Old 04-09-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally rented this last night after reading all of the negative reviews and while I found the first half to be excellent, the last 30-40 minutes was where it went downhill. The kid was annoying in every scene in which he appeared.

For a popcorn flick, I was very entertained however and will probably buy the blu-ray.
Old 04-11-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I very rarely speak negatively about flicks on these forums, but this one takes the cake. I totally agree about the kid being annoying.
Old 04-11-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by shacmasta
I very rarely speak negatively about flicks on these forums, but this one takes the cake. I totally agree about the kid being annoying.
Heck with the Directors Cut....They should've done two versions of this movie, one with the "Kid" and one without.
Old 04-12-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Under normal circumstances, I would have stayed far away from this release, but I was seduced by the inclusion of the 1951 original and the retro Gort action figure. You win this time, Fox!
I also bought it at Best Buy for the figure, and was actually surprised at the quality of the figure. I didn't realize it was metal, and has some weight to it.