Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Marley and Me (3 Disc Set - Digital Copy + DVD) -----> March 21st, 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Marley and Me (3 Disc Set - Digital Copy + DVD) -----> March 21st, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Marley and Me (3 Disc Set - Digital Copy + DVD) -----> March 31st, 2009

The Marley & Me “Bad Boy” Three-Disc Blu-ray offers families the opportunity to enjoy the film on three different formats: high definition Blu-ray Disc featuring an exclusive Dog Training Trivia Track and 101 tutorial with BonusView, Digital Copy for playback on portable devices and a single-disc DVD for use on existing standard DVD players. The Marley & Me “Bad Boy” Three-Disc Blu-ray will be sold for the suggested retail price of $39.99 U.S./$49.98 Canada.

Three Disc Blu-Ray Disc (BD) Specs:

The Marley & Me Three Disc BD release will be presented in widescreen format (2.35:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio (Lossless), Spanish, French and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound, and Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean subtitles. English subtitles will also be available for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Bonus features include:
Spoiler:
· Dog Training Trivia Track

· Dog Training 101 featuring BonusView Video

· 19 Deleted Scenes With Director, David Frankel Commentary

· Finding Marley featurette

· Breaking the Golden Rule featurette

· On Set with Marley: Dog of All Trades featurette

· Animal Adoption featurette

· Purina Dog Chow Marley & Me Video Contest Finalists

· Purina Dog Chow Video Hall of Fame

· Gag Reel

· When Not to Pee featurette

· Digital Copy

· Marley & Me Single DVD

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-10-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Marley and Me (3 Disc Set - Digital Copy + DVD) -----> March 21st, 2009

Seriously, WTF. 3 discs with basically identical content. it doesn't matter if this doesn't seem to have a price increase, it's beyond retarded. Think I'll still be buying it though
Old 02-11-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I still think it makes sense for studios to offer these. Outside of Gizmo DVD, I don't know anyone who has a BD player for every screen they own.

Still, I hesitate to spend over $20 on any movie, BD or not.
Old 02-11-09, 11:15 AM

Worst trend ever. Drop the digital copy. Nobody wants it.
Old 02-11-09, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
I still think it makes sense for studios to offer these. Outside of Gizmo DVD, I don't know anyone who has a BD player for every screen they own.

Still, I hesitate to spend over $20 on any movie, BD or not.
I own two TVs

I just...have a lot of players. No kids so a DVD for road trips is useless. And I'm not a fan of watching movies on my iPhone...especially when I know I have the movie in HD at home.
Old 04-02-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my copy from CH yesterday. I am betting we're going to be getting more and more new releases with 3 discs (BD, DVD, DC). I don't mind that. However, that means more will be arriving in the slim 3 disc cases, which are VERY flimsy. Luckily, this title did not arrive with a broken latch (holds the flip tray) inside, but I and others, have encountered this before. The Dark Knight, Get Smart, Speed Racer, and new batches of Wall-E all use this case.
Old 04-02-09, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I received my copy from CH yesterday. I am betting we're going to be getting more and more new releases with 3 discs (BD, DVD, DC). I don't mind that. However, that means more will be arriving in the slim 3 disc cases, which are VERY flimsy. Luckily, this title did not arrive with a broken latch (holds the flip tray) inside, but I and others, have encountered this before. The Dark Knight, Get Smart, Speed Racer, and new batches of Wall-E all use this case.
This multi-pack thing will continue from Fox and Disney on most Day and Dates. Lionsgate is getting into the mix as well (packing a DVD or DC).
Old 04-02-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
This multi-pack thing will continue from Fox and Disney on most Day and Dates. Lionsgate is getting into the mix as well (packing a DVD or DC).
I'm sure everyone will join in as well. Just like the digital copy.

I hate the tray on these cases though. I don't like returning movies because of a broken case. And I know I'll receive more broken ones. I guess I'll have a stack of DC discs and use the BD/DVD in my 2-disc backups. Not a big deal, but I like everything together.

I like the thicker Wall-E case, but I think they'll move away from using those.

Also, I wish they would just add the digital copy to the dvd for these type of releases. I know it'll mean making a special dvd just for this kind of release, but that won't cost them much at all.
Old 04-02-09, 10:56 AM
Suspended

I'm sure everyone will join in as well. Just like the digital copy.

I hate the tray on these cases though. I don't like returning movies because of a broken case. And I know I'll receive more broken ones. I guess I'll have a stack of DC discs and use the BD/DVD in my 2-disc backups. Not a big deal, but I like everything together.

I like the thicker Wall-E case, but I think they'll move away from using those.

Also, I wish they would just add the digital copy to the dvd for these type of releases. I know it'll mean making a special dvd just for this kind of release, but that won't cost them much at all.
The case is like Firefly then, right? I hate them as well. The thick Disney cases are gone. Disney has discontinued them and is already re-packaging those thick case films in thin ones (Bolt, Pinocchio). I like them as well.
Old 04-02-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The Marley & Me case I got is more like the WB cases for Speed Racer - regular width with a dual-sided swinging tray inside.
Old 04-02-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is it. Exact same as what WB uses. With the flimsy tray holders.
Old 04-02-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally think this is a great idea, and we arent really being charged any extra for the dvd or digital copy in most cases(atleast if you a buying day and date) look at marley and me the bluray combo is 24.99 this week at best buy and at amazon.

I wonder if universal will get in on this soon since they were such a big supporter of the combo disc on the HDDVD format.

this is a great way to encourage upgrading to a bluray player as a persons standard dvd player dies. if they allready have a collection of movies in bluray via these combo discs then they are more likely to say "hey why not go ahead and get a player"
Old 04-02-09, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
I personally think this is a great idea, and we arent really being charged any extra for the dvd or digital copy in most cases(atleast if you a buying day and date) look at marley and me the bluray combo is 24.99 this week at best buy and at amazon.

I wonder if universal will get in on this soon since they were such a big supporter of the combo disc on the HDDVD format.

this is a great way to encourage upgrading to a bluray player as a persons standard dvd player dies. if they allready have a collection of movies in bluray via these combo discs then they are more likely to say "hey why not go ahead and get a player"
Well, we actually are being charged more for these extra DVD/DCs. Blu-ray has been out for 3 years and prices should not be this high - still. $28 for Pinocchio on Blu-ray? Drop the DVD/DC and and lower the MSRP $5 instead or offer a separate BD only version for those that don't want the other options. But alas, that won't be happening as the studios want to gouge us for as much money as possible all over again.
Old 04-02-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry but i have to respectfully disagree, bluray prices are in line with or in some cases better priced than standard dvd was this far into the format.
i was a standard dvd owner from day one back in 1997 and 3 years into the format i was still paying 39.99 for titles funny you mention pinocchio because when that came out in late 1999 more than 2 and a half years after dvd was introduced i paid 40 bucks for the barebones version, on the other hand i picked up the bluray combo last month for 22.99

when snow white came out on dvd in 2001 i paid 30.00 dollars for that and that was 2 years after pinocchio 4 and a hald years into dvds life, and i bet anything the blu combo for snow white will be between 22.99 and 26.99

another example the barebones star trek 2 dvd was 30 bucks when it came out in 2000.

or the Bond films thunderball cost me almost 34.99 when i got that back in late 99 and when i picked up the bluray it only cost me 16.99

not trying to argue just stating the prices are in line with standard dvd at this point in the format.

I cant tell you how many hundreds of movies on dvd i spent 35 to 40 bucks on when they first came out(quite a few that were barebones and non anamorphic at that) that are only in recent years 14.99 or less

Well, we actually are being charged more for these extra DVD/DCs. Blu-ray has been out for 3 years and prices should not be this high - still. $28 for Pinocchio on Blu-ray? Drop the DVD/DC and and lower the MSRP $5 instead or offer a separate BD only version for those that don't want the other options. But alas, that won't be happening as the studios want to gouge us for as much money as possible all over again.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 04-02-09 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 02:32 PM
Suspended

sorry but i have to respectfully disagree, bluray prices are in line with or in some cases better priced than standard dvd was this far into the format.
i was a standard dvd owner from day one back in 1997 and 3 years into the format i was still paying 39.99 for titles funny you mention pinocchio because when that came out in late 1999 more than 2 and a half years after dvd was introduced i paid 40 bucks for the barebones version, on the other hand i picked up the bluray combo last month for 22.99

when snow white came out on dvd in 2001 i paid 30.00 dollars for that and that was 2 years after pinocchio 4 and a hald years into dvds life, and i bet anything the blu combo for snow white will be between 22.99 and 26.99

another example the barebones star trek 2 dvd was 30 bucks when it came out in 2000.

or the Bond films thunderball cost me almost 34.99 when i got that back in late 99 and when i picked up the bluray it only cost me 16.99

not trying to argue just stating the prices are in line with standard dvd at this point in the format.

I cant tell you how many hundreds of movies on dvd i spent 35 to 40 bucks on when they first came out(quite a few that were barebones and non anamorphic at that) that are only in recent years 14.99 or less
And we are now in 2009 not 1997. We are also in a recession. $28+ for a Blu-ray is too high when 1 Disc DVDs are $15 or so. Remember, DVD was high, Laserdisc was higher, VHS was (in some cases) higher. Prices should be dropping not going up. The difference in quality, features and everything else (no rewinding, 5.1) between DVD and VHS is the reason why prices were so high. Blu-ray is not leap and bounds better and should not priced so high with something (DVD/DC) some do not want.

Even if we go with the studio estimates, only 20% of DCs get activated. That means 80% of people don't want them. Even IF the DC gets activated how often (if ever) does it get watched?
Old 04-02-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Even if we go with the studio estimates, only 20% of DCs get activated. That means 80% of people don't want them. Even IF the DC gets activated how often (if ever) does it get watched?
Good question. I've redeemed two, The Dark Knight & Wanted. The reason? Recent iPhone purchase and just wanted to check it out. I think I've watched less than 5 minutes between both of them.
Old 04-02-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Good question. I've redeemed two, The Dark Knight & Wanted. The reason? Recent iPhone purchase and just wanted to check it out. I think I've watched less than 5 minutes between both of them.
I activated one (Hitman) just to see, after that I removed it and have not activated any others. For one's that come with DVDs, I just toss 'em aside so I could have an empty 2-disc DVD case.
Old 04-02-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if eventually, we'll start getting just a BD + DVD release and they drop the digital copy. I hope so. I was surprised there was no DC in Quantum of Solace, given that it's such a high profile release.
Old 04-02-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for the same msrp fox and disney has for there bluray only movies they are also including a digital copy and dvd copy. just cause you dont have a use for it doesnt mean i dont, or my sister, or my girlfriend or my brothers nextdoor neighbor or heck even the crazy old grandpa living 2 houses down from me dont have a use for it. fox, disney, charge the same amount for there titles weather they come with a dvd/digital copy or not. the only exception was when disney exprimented with the 3 disc walle for 2 dollars more(atleast at my local retailers) than the 2 disc walle
and yes the picture audio quality of bluray is leaps and bounds higher than standard dvd. if it was not then why are you bothering to purchase begin with.

I will say it again Marley and me 3 disc for 24.99 was a great bargin for me, as was bolt 3 disc for 22.99 and pinocchio 3 disc for 22.99

you can always wait a few months and have it go on sale to the price you like.

And we are now in 2009 not 1997. We are also in a recession. $28+ for a Blu-ray is too high when 1 Disc DVDs are $15 or so. Remember, DVD was high, Laserdisc was higher, VHS was (in some cases) higher. Prices should be dropping not going up. The difference in quality, features and everything else (no rewinding, 5.1) between DVD and VHS is the reason why prices were so high. Blu-ray is not leap and bounds better and should not priced so high with something (DVD/DC) some do not want.

Old 04-02-09, 04:40 PM
Suspended

I wonder if eventually, we'll start getting just a BD + DVD release and they drop the digital copy. I hope so. I was surprised there was no DC in Quantum of Solace, given that it's such a high profile release.
I have not seen a whole lot of DCs in Sony BDs as of late.
Old 04-02-09, 04:40 PM
Suspended

for the same msrp fox and disney has for there bluray only movies they are also including a digital copy and dvd copy. just cause you dont have a use for it doesnt mean i dont, or my sister, or my girlfriend or my brothers nextdoor neighbor or heck even the crazy old grandpa living 2 houses down from me dont have a use for it. fox, disney, charge the same amount for there titles weather they come with a dvd/digital copy or not. the only exception was when disney exprimented with the 3 disc walle for 2 dollars more(atleast at my local retailers) than the 2 disc walle
and yes the picture audio quality of bluray is leaps and bounds higher than standard dvd. if it was not then why are you bothering to purchase begin with.

I will say it again Marley and me 3 disc for 24.99 was a great bargin for me, as was bolt 3 disc for 22.99 and pinocchio 3 disc for 22.99

you can always wait a few months and have it go on sale to the price you like.
As I said before, 3 years into the format the MSRP should be going down, not remaining the same or going up (Disney Platinum titles). While the DVD/DC may be great for you, its not great for everyone. That's why offering 2 options seems like a smarter idea in the future...but of course the studios want as much money as possible so that won't happen. Tossing in the DVD/DC is an excuse to be used to keep the MSRP the same and not drop it down to a lower price.

It makes me laugh a little that people want Blu-ray to replace DVD ASAP...which means there would be no reason for studios to drop the price at all because what choice do you have if you want a D&D that's only on Blu-ray for $28 street? Packing a DVD would have been great in the first 2 years of Blu-ray but not now, not when BD players are $250ish (and dropping fast) and stores are stocking more and more while cutting back on DVD players.

As for my leaps and bounds...the difference between BD and DVD is not as great of a leap as DVD to VHS.
Old 04-02-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only semi-positive thing about new release pricing is they are now at least being discounted some on release week. And sometimes, particularly at Best Buy, discounted heavier in week 2.

For the most part, new releases are on sale the first week for usually $26.99. That's better than when they were at the flat $29.99 every time a year ago.

Hopefully in Q3 or Q4, we'll start to see sale pricing in the $23.99 range at B&Ms.
Old 04-02-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only semi-positive thing about new release pricing is they are now at least being discounted some on release week. And sometimes, particularly at Best Buy, discounted heavier in week 2.

For the most part, new releases are on sale the first week for usually $26.99. That's better than when they were at the flat $29.99 every time a year ago.

Hopefully in Q3 or Q4, we'll start to see sale pricing in the $23.99 range at B&Ms.
Yeah, I've noticed the deeper discounting of first week sales as well. It's almost as if Best Buy is taking the Amazon approach and using the minimum 30 percent off guideline.
Old 04-02-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Worst trend ever. Drop the digital copy. Nobody wants it.
Great idea! Keep the digital copy! There will be a time very soon when everybody wants it!
Old 04-02-09, 10:52 PM

I agree get rid of the dc but I like the idea of dvd and blu combos.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.