Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Originally Posted by awil1026
Damn, I don't have my Oz receipt from my release-week purchase. I think they can do receipt lookup, though.
If paid in any way besides cash; yes.
Old 11-11-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Is the BD packaging inside the Oz Ultimate edition box the size of SD amaray packaging, or the shorter BD? Pictures look like it's the SD size...
Old 11-11-09, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
FYI,

GWTW and OZ will be $12.99 during Black Friday at Target. So if you buy...hold onto your receipts!
Are these the 3 disc edtions?
Old 11-11-09, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Oz, yes. GWTW, no idea.
Old 11-11-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the GWTW that Target will have is supposed to only be disc 1, isn't that what we heard?
Old 11-11-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
the GWTW that Target will have is supposed to only be disc 1, isn't that what we heard?
Yes, that's what we've heard.
Old 11-11-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I get it all I would need is the one disc. There is enough documentary information floating around I really don't need the extras. I owned the DVD then sold it without ever watching it. The last time I saw this movie was on VHS the day my son was born more than 20 years ago. SHe was in labor but still had plenty of time before we went to the hospital. Good way to kill 4 hours.
Old 11-15-09, 10:57 AM
Cool New Member

Disappointed Target doesn't have their one disc GWTW Blu on sale this week. Don't really know If I really want to fight the BF crowds just to pick that up for $12.99. I was hoping for a $19.99 price on that this week.
Old 11-15-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
You'll actually need to re-buy that morning and return the new one on the old receipt (or have them look it up if you used a credit card).

You won't be able to PM the BF deal using your old receipt.

My wife and I pre-bought everything we wanted last year and attempted this, but they refused. So I said, "So I have to go buy everything again and then return it? BRB..."

5 minutes later I had a full cart of newly purchased merchandise they had to restock after I returned on the old receipt. They sure showed me.
Not true at least last year. I went and wrote to Target corporate earlier in the week and asked clarification on their Price Adjustment policy and specifically asked if price adjustments also included sale prices on their Annual "Target 2 Day Sale" the day after Thanksgiving. I got a response that said their adjustment policy was 7 days and it included ALL sales held at Target during the year, the 2 Day Sale was NOT excluded. I printed out the email and had it with me should I had any problems, but I just took my receipt in that morning while the doorbuster sales were still in effect and they just manually keyed all the items in as a return and then rebought them and I got the hefty credit back to my credit card. No fuss. I went and pre-bought everything I wanted on Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving.

All of their corporate communication is given incident numbers, so if there is any question they should be able to call their home office and they should be able to find the communication via that incident number.
Old 11-15-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
FYI,

GWTW and OZ will be $12.99 during Black Friday at Target. So if you buy...hold onto your receipts!
Just watch though, Target's price adjustment policy is only 7 days so the earliest you could buy this and get adjusted for the Friday ad would be this coming Saturday. (Friday if your store wouldn't count the purchase day as day 1.)
Old 11-16-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
Not true at least last year. I went and wrote to Target corporate earlier in the week and asked clarification on their Price Adjustment policy and specifically asked if price adjustments also included sale prices on their Annual "Target 2 Day Sale" the day after Thanksgiving. I got a response that said their adjustment policy was 7 days and it included ALL sales held at Target during the year, the 2 Day Sale was NOT excluded. I printed out the email and had it with me should I had any problems, but I just took my receipt in that morning while the doorbuster sales were still in effect and they just manually keyed all the items in as a return and then rebought them and I got the hefty credit back to my credit card. No fuss. I went and pre-bought everything I wanted on Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving.

All of their corporate communication is given incident numbers, so if there is any question they should be able to call their home office and they should be able to find the communication via that incident number.
Well that's good for you. My story was true, but I didn't check ahead of time with corporate and the people at my CS desk did what they did. It wasn't a big deal as it only cost me an extra 5 minutes to pick everything up (because I knew exactly what I needed and where it was) and I was checking out as most people were still coming in.

Definite YMMV.
Old 11-16-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I called my local Target and got a supervisor on the line and they told explicitly that the Two Day BF sale was NOT covered for the price adjustments. Only the Sunday circular sale prices counted.
If you have an e-mail from corporate claiming otherwise, it might help others to post it.
Old 11-16-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

It wound up being as much (if not more?) of an essay than a review, but: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40613...with-the-wind/
(In ten years at this game, this is the longest thing I've ever written.)
Old 11-16-09, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hated GWTW when I first saw it. Maybe as a bit older and now Film Major I can surpass some little nuances I had for it. I do admit..that production on it was insanely amazing.
Old 11-16-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It wound up being as much (if not more?) of an essay than a review, but: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40613...with-the-wind/
(In ten years at this game, this is the longest thing I've ever written.)
Great review Adam. Thanks, the effort really shows.
Old 11-16-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Thanks!
Old 11-16-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I called my local Target and got a supervisor on the line and they told explicitly that the Two Day BF sale was NOT covered for the price adjustments. Only the Sunday circular sale prices counted.
If you have an e-mail from corporate claiming otherwise, it might help others to post it.
Just wrote to Target for clarification and got a response back. Price adjustments ARE allowed on 2 Day Sale merchandise.

Dear dvd-fanman,

It sounds like you have some questions about our price adjustment policy.

We're able to make adjustments on sale merchandise if we advertise a lower price either the same week or the week following your Target purchase. Adjustments can be made with your original receipt. As a reminder, this service isn't available on clearance merchandise. Also, items in the 2-Day sale ad follow normal price adjustment guidelines.

Want to check the price of something? Just stop by the Guest Service Desk during your next visit. Our team members will be happy to help you.

Expect More. Pay Less.® Target is committed to providing you with the latest merchandise at the lowest possible price. Be sure to check out the Circular online to stay up-to-date with what's on sale. You can view it by clicking WeeklyAd at www.target.com.

Thanks for shopping with us. We'll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,

Target Guest Relations
Personal information omitted and changed for privacy.
Old 11-17-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can now confirm that the Target regular case version of GWTW is definitely ONLY 1-disc....I went there this morning to check it out, felt the front of the case and you can easily tell that there is no hub on the inside of the front for a second disc to be attached onto...also, if you look on the specs in the box under "video" for the special features, it clearly says "None"....nowhere on the case does it say anything about being a "2-disc" edition (while the DVD version does clearly say it is 2-discs)....also, the weight of the case is the same as other 1 disc releases, not slightly heavier as a 2-disc release is....I can't believe Target it trying to charge $34.99 for a 1-disc version, it is quite a rip off considering you can order the 2-disc version from amazon.uk for under $27 shipped....
Old 11-17-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if it's indeed a one disc version, then i don't feel so bad about getting the UCE from amazon.
Old 11-17-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The 2-disc DVD edition probably doesn't have special features though either. If it's like all the past versions, the film is spread across two discs.
Old 11-17-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, why's the Target 1-disc blu-ray so much? It retails for an exorbitant $40, and even on sale for $35, it's still quite a rip-off for a bare-bones catalog blu-ray. What gives?
Old 11-17-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah I'd rather get the full on set for $45 than pay that much for the Target one.
Old 11-17-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm just glad that Target is making a 1 disk version available at all. It's worth the extra cost to me just to not have to buy another big box of stuff I'll look at once & then have to make room for on the shelf.
Old 11-17-09, 01:10 PM

So the only new extras not included on the Four-Disc Collector's Edition I already own are these:
  • Warner Bros. Home Entertainment presents 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year – New documentary about Hollywood’s watershed year narrated by Kenneth Branagh
  • Gone with the Wind: The Legend Lives On -- Exploring the legacy of the most beloved film through illuminating interviews, footage and visits to historical sites, events and museums
  • Moviola: The Scarlett O'Hara Wars 1980 WBTV Special never before on home video
  • (Possibly some more) Trailers (?)

And, of course, the 'MGM: When The Lion Roars' documentary that was previously released both on its own and in the '... Oz' blu-ray.

And none of the previously-released or new extras are presented in HD.

If this is correct, I may try to get the Target version, particularly since I've already seen the 1939 documentary on TCM.
Old 11-19-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can anyone confirm that the UK blu ray has all of the same supplements as the US 1 and if they are in NTSC format? i was too late to stop the shipment of the UCE box, but if i write "REFUSED" on it, it will go back to amazon and i'll get my account credited, correct? i think that if the UK disc has the same content (except for the MGM doc), then i'd rather have that than all of the extra stuff in the box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.