Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indy trilogy possibly to Blu by year's end

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Indy trilogy possibly to Blu by year's end

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Indy trilogy possibly to Blu by year's end

I find it kind of cool that Spielberg makes some remarks about Lucas' recent actions but...what does he actually think of Lucas? I mean...he sure as hell can't be happy about it. Wonder what Scorsese thinks about it considerings he's such a film restoration guy.

I hope it includes Indy IV...cuz I do enjoy it...though it does lack in quality. Also....it had some solid features.
Old 09-13-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fellow colleagues would not dare insult by publicly commenting, but i would think most of them are fans as well as creators of film and do not share Lucas's zeal for revisionism. even Spielberg gave us two versions of ET!
Old 09-13-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Did you not read the post that was right above yours?
Which will undoudebtly lead to George Lucas' disapproval of the set.
Old 09-13-11, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not saying to go out and blast him but...you know? What do they think? As much as we blast Lucas...hell even Chaplin kept changing his works. Difference being that well...we can call Lucas out cuz we (the consumer) have proof of those changes. Chaplin's admirers didn't have that.
Old 09-13-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darmok
fellow colleagues would not dare insult by publicly commenting, but i would think most of them are fans as well as creators of film and do not share Lucas's zeal for revisionism. even Spielberg gave us two versions of ET!
Didnt stop Spike Lee from Blasting Clint Eastwood a few years ago.

There are plenty of times that collegues in the film industry have insulted each other in the film industry, those who have worked togeather on a film, those who havent worked togeather on a film but for the same studio and those who have not worked togeather or done a movie under the same studio.

Lucas and Spielberg relationship goes far beyond merely being colleagues in the same industry they are friends so thats why he says George is George and while i dont think its appropriate for my films, those are his films and he can do with them what he wants.
Old 09-13-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Did you not read the post that was right above yours?
Yea, I read it. If they're waiting another 12 months to release it Lucas has plenty of time to screw around with it. I'll believe it is a proper BD release when I see that it is in fact a proper BD release.
Old 09-13-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lucas will probably add Tarzan yelling to Shia swinging with the monkeys, ughh...
Old 09-13-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
when does Indy shooting the arab swordsman go from a gun to a cannon?
Actually they will replace the sword with a gun so he can shoot at Indy first.
Old 09-13-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, I read it. If they're waiting another 12 months to release it Lucas has plenty of time to screw around with it. I'll believe it is a proper BD release when I see that it is in fact a proper BD release.
As long as Spielberg is alive you wont see Lucas tinkering with any of the indy films. Spielberg would put his footdown.
You just have to pray that Spielberg outlives George Lucas.
The print from last nights screening looked amazing and there was no digital tinkering with it either.
Iam sure if any of the sold out audience I was lucky enough to watch the film with are members on here will post the similar thoughts on its presentation last night . It looked amazing.
Old 09-13-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only change I'd ever like to see in Raiders would be if they removed that wall of fire when Belloq's head explodes.
Old 09-13-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I find it kind of cool that Spielberg makes some remarks about Lucas' recent actions but...what does he actually think of Lucas? I mean...he sure as hell can't be happy about it. Wonder what Scorsese thinks about it considerings he's such a film restoration guy.
"Hey, Mikey, I was thinking, do you really think it's a good idea to marry that girl from the Ukraine you met on the internet?"

When someone has made up their mind to do something really stupid, you can't stop them and will only damage or destroy your friendship, and your only option is to stand back and watch.
Old 09-13-11, 06:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spielberg referred to Lucas as his best friend at the Tintin panel at SDCC.
Old 09-13-11, 08:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Word is that Shia LaBeouf is filming "bookends" for the beginning and end of each movie, along with narration throughout. In order to keep the running time the same, selective edits will be made to the "slower parts".
Old 09-13-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by groucho
word is that shia labeouf is filming "bookends" for the beginning and end of each movie, along with narration throughout. In order to keep the running time the same, selective edits will be made to the "slower parts".
"nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!"
Old 09-14-11, 02:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I hope it includes Indy IV...cuz I do enjoy it...though it does lack in quality. Also....it had some solid features.
Well, the Indy IV Blu-ray should still be available separately, so no loss there.

Also, on a semi-related note, I hear Spielberg has inferred that the SE of E.T. won't be included when that film comes to Blu-ray. Am I the only one here who actually would mind owning a copy of that version in 1080p (with the original 1982 version included in the same package, of course) if only for the added scenes of E.T. falling in the tub and the extended Halloween scenes?

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 09-14-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Also, on a semi-related note, I hear Spielberg has inferred that the SE of E.T. won't be included when that film comes to Blu-ray. Am I the only one here who actually would mind owning a copy of that version in 1080p (with the original 1982 version included in the same package, of course) if only for the added scenes of E.T. falling in the tub and the extended Halloween scenes?
I didn't care for any of the changes, so never seeing the SE on BD is fine by me. He spoke about it during the Raiders screening.

Spielberg also confirmed again that E.T. is coming to Blu-ray from Universal in 2012, but likely only the original theatrical cut. He asked the audience if they'd care if the "new" version wasn't on the Blu-ray, which generated a big "NO!" Spielberg acknowledged this and said he regrets making the changes he did for the DVD.
Old 09-14-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I didn't care for any of the changes, so never seeing the SE on BD is fine by me. He spoke about it during the Raiders screening.

Spielberg also confirmed again that E.T. is coming to Blu-ray from Universal in 2012, but likely only the original theatrical cut. He asked the audience if they'd care if the "new" version wasn't on the Blu-ray, which generated a big "NO!" Spielberg acknowledged this and said he regrets making the changes he did for the DVD.
Include the bathtub and extended Halloween stuff in the deleted scenes section...that's the best way to deal with them.
Old 09-14-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree, put them in as deleted scenes in HD.
Old 09-14-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTF, that's the version that I saw in theaters. Well if that's the case, they just lost a sale to me.
Old 09-16-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
WTF, that's the version that I saw in theaters. Well if that's the case, they just lost a sale to me.
I think you're in a very small minority. I assume they'd lose more sales if they put out that horribly bastardized version on blu.
Old 09-16-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
I think you're in a very small minority. I assume they'd lose more sales if they put out that horribly bastardized version on blu.
I didn't mean only include the special edition, it should include both.
Old 09-16-11, 01:14 AM
Banned

The only "updates" to E.T. that I didn't mind were the more natural running scene at the very beginning and the effects on the ship at the very end. Other than that, it was just junk. They wanted E.T. to move more realistically ? No. It just looked fake and takes you right out of the awesome-ness of the movie. The puppet E.T. was perfectly realistic. I just bought the Ultimate Gift Set from 2002 and will definately pick up the blu-ray.....even though you KNOW it won't have a commentary on it. I would like to hear one from the three kids and the mom, though.

As for Indy....a great idea would be to have a replica Ark of the covenant that you take the lid off of to get the blu-rays inside. They could even have yellow LED lights around the inside edge to give off a holy glow.
Old 09-16-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As Amity said, I think Spielberg would be able to prevent any Star Wars-like alterations to the films. Unlike that series, where they're apparently all Lucas's "vision", the Indy films are more of a collaboration between the two, and while Spielberg has been known to make plenty of changes to his films, all but two to my knowledge (1941 and Duel) have been released in their original cuts.

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi

I don't like the 20th Anniversary cut of the film, but I'm sure it has it's fans, and it should be released along with the original. Spielberg's no stranger to the Blade Runner model (look at Close Encounters), surely he sees the benefit of doing so...
Old 09-16-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e_sFW8grQtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Despite Spielberg's comments about Raiders remaining unaltered, I wonder if this change will still make the BD.

Assuming the bottom shot features the CG manipulation, it looks much less detailed than the original. I assume it was changed mainly to insert the shadow of the vehicle along the cliff face as it falls. At least it's subtle -- but honestly, who out there was really bothered by this shot? Some artist probably spent many hours of their life creating that original matte painting and it looked just fine.
Old 09-16-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Despite Spielberg's comments about Raiders remaining unaltered, I wonder if this change will still make the BD.

Assuming the bottom shot features the CG manipulation, it looks much less detailed than the original. I assume it was changed mainly to insert the shadow of the vehicle along the cliff face as it falls. At least it's subtle -- but honestly, who out there was really bothered by this shot? Some artist probably spent many hours of their life creating that original matte painting and it looked just fine.
Nice catch. Especially when you take into consideration that the top shot is the altered one.

But that's not the first time CGI was added to Raiders. I remember the back cover of the VHS making a point of how brand new computer effects were added to the climax when the Ark is opened.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.