DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/548494-star-trek-i-vi-star-trek-tos-season-one-may-2009-a.html)

Gizmo 01-23-09 05:47 PM

Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Our good friend Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits has some exciting news regarding the rumored upcoming Blu-ray releases of the original Star Trek films, as well as the television series. As previously rumored, Paramount Home Entertainment will release Star Trek I-VI as a "Kirk/Spock" box set in May around the theatrical release of the new Star Trek film.

The set will include the theatrical versions of Star Trek I, II, and IV - something that hasn't been available to fans in quite some time (or in the case of Star Trek VI, the first time). Additionally, the remaining four Next Generation films will be released as a box set at a later date.

Additionally, Paramount will release 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One' at the same time as the films. The release will contain both the original and remastered versions of the shows, and presumably feature all the extras found on the previously released HD DVD/DVD box set.

An officially announcement is expected shortly

kvrdave 01-23-09 06:25 PM

Re: Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

About time. I just wish they had the time and money to go back and give ST:TNG the same treatment, but that will be a big undertaking. And DS9, etc. for that matter.

B5Erik 01-23-09 11:05 PM

Theatrical versions only for I, II, & VI???

If true, I'll pass. I much prefer the extended versions - especially with TMP and TWOK. If they're only putting out the theatrical versions you know that a double dip is coming down the line with the "Director's Cuts/Extended cuts."

I'm hoping for clarification.

Zen Peckinpah 01-23-09 11:46 PM

KHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! will never sound more clear or glorious.

Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, and possibly Undiscovered Country down the line will be mine.

GenPion 01-23-09 11:52 PM

To me, it sounds like the Extended Director's Cut will be there but that people can also choose the theatrical cuts for those films, which is a neat bonus feature IMHO. Otherwise, this release fails miserably but I'm thinking that's not the case.

B5Erik 01-24-09 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 9219910)
To me, it sounds like the Extended Director's Cut will be there but that people can also choose the theatrical cuts for those films, which is a neat bonus feature IMHO. Otherwise, this release fails miserably but I'm thinking that's not the case.

I hope you're right. If each one has both then I will be very happy.

B5Erik 01-24-09 12:50 AM

Here's the quote from The Bits that has me thinking it's theatrical versions only:

Star Trek I, II and VI will each be the original theatrical versions. (If I'm not mistaken, this would mark the first time that The Undiscovered Country has EVER been available on home video in its theatrical version - even on VHS - and the first time that The Motion Picture has been available in its theatrical version since its VHS and Laserdisc release.
It doesn't say that they will be included, it says that each one WILL BE the theatrical versions.

That certainly doesn't sound good. We should get clarification soon.

davidh777 01-24-09 04:01 PM

Mutara Nebula dogfight in Blu :drool:

Ian Whitcombe 01-24-09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 9220872)
Mutara Nebula dogfight in Blu :drool:

Hm, lots of grain and optical print artifacts? Sold!

Although seriously, since it's Paramount, I'm hoping that these films will be given the same top-shelf remasters as The Godfather Trilogy. Meaning: grain intact and managed well, and no DNR.

WMAangel 01-24-09 08:48 PM

While I also prefer the "extended/director's" cuts of II and VI, I could live with the theatrical cuts of those two....but only the theatrical cut of TMP?? NO THANKS....
That would also indicate that not all of the special features will be carried over from the special edition DVDs, since the audio commentary and some of the other extras on TMP were directly in reference to the newly created director's edition! Damn you Paramount!!

mzupeman2 01-24-09 09:07 PM

I'll have to debate the films right now, but I'm DEFINITELY getting the first season of Star Trek on Blu!

DthRdrX 01-24-09 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 (Post 9221361)
I'll have to debate the films right now, but I'm DEFINITELY getting the first season of Star Trek on Blu!

Yea, I've been waitin forever for TOS to hit Blu-ray. I was ready to purchase on Hd-dvd right when the format died, and I had a feeling we would never see the other seasons. Hopefully they get the rest out soon.

Gizmo 01-24-09 09:16 PM

I still have my TOS sealed on HD DVD...And if Paramount thinks pricing these at $99+ is a good idea, then they might not have much in terms of sales.

Josh-da-man 01-24-09 09:57 PM

I'm sort of happy about the theatrical cut of TMP being released. I don't think I've ever seen it.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the new Director's Edition of TMP was created with the new effects shots in standard definition, so maybe that's why the Blu-ray will be theatrical cut only?

davidh777 01-25-09 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Whitcombe (Post 9220906)
Hm, lots of grain and optical print artifacts? Sold!

But how about lossless!

Skoobooz 01-25-09 09:25 AM

Obviously, seamless branching would be the best option here, and I'm still holding out hope that that's what we'll get (at least for II and VI...we know why TMP is theatrical-only). Still, it is sometimes nice to see studios providing the original theatrical option these days, like Fox did with X-Files: Fight the Future...of course, that title had both cuts....

Darth Maher 01-25-09 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 9219853)
If they're only putting out the theatrical versions you know that a double dip is coming down the line with the "Director's Cuts/Extended cuts."

Well it is Paramount...

Darth Maher 01-26-09 10:25 AM

. This set will include Star Trek V here in the States, though other regions may offer different disc configurations/packaging options.
I just read this on The Digital Bits... Why would Star Trek V only be available in the U.S? Was it only released theatrically here or something?

Or is there some kind of religious reason?

buckee1 01-26-09 10:48 AM

Great news. I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have a Trek BD fest in the very near future! I am however, anxious for the whole set of films rather than just the orig. series cast films. I'll take what I can get but, I'd rather them all than piecemealing them.

Numanoid 01-26-09 11:21 AM

I'm in. Still waiting anxiously for Nemesis, though. :D

buckee1 01-26-09 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 9221663)
But how about lossless!

Warp Drive in Lossless :drool:

Overpar 02-13-09 03:25 PM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics...+2+3+BLU_e.jpg

The Valeyard 02-13-09 05:40 PM

Oooooo! Neat!

RoyaleCheese 02-13-09 07:43 PM

I'll fucking believe it from another source BESIDES The Digital Bits. Fuck them.

If this is legit, sign me up.

big e 02-13-09 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Overpar (Post 9265067)

I hope those cases are better than that POS one the HD-DVD of season 1 came in.